Dangers Of Drug Abuse Among The Youths
Youths are the most venerable and deeply involve group in the social menace of drugs abuse. However, drugs abuse among the youths has dominated discussion in the mainstream media recently. The menace of drugs abuse in Nigeria has reached a frightening proportion and it pervaded every fibre in the society. Therefore, this study attempts to examine the dangers of drug abuse among youths in Nigeria, and its implication to national development.
Survey analysis method of data collection was employed. The study examined many issues including the phenomenon of youth and the effects of frequent abuse of drugs by the youths. Furthermore, it looked at the drugs commonly abused by them, explained why do youth abuse drugs, and also explored ways of prevention or control measures of curving drugs abuse. Finally, it made some suggested recommendations that if adopted it will curve the menace of drugs abuse among the youths in Nigeria.
Table Of Content
- Title page i
- Certification page ii
- Dedication iii
- Acknowledgement iv
- Abstract v
- Table of content
- 1.1 Background Of The Study
- 1.2 Statement Of The Problem
- 1.3 Objective Of The Study
- 1.4 Research Hypotheses
- 1.5 Significance Of The Study
- 1.7 Definition Of Terms
- 1.8 Organization Of The Study
2.0 Literature Review
- 2.1 Conceptual Review
- 2.2 Determinants Of Drug And Substance Abuse Among Youths Who Were Incarcerated
- 2.3 Some Factors That Influence Drug And Substance Abuse
- 2.4 Determinants Of Substance Abuse And Youth Restiveness
3.0 Research Methodology
- 3.1 Research Design
- 3.2 Population Of The Study
- 3.3 Sampling Method
- 3.4 Method Of Data Collection
- 3.5 Method Of Data Analysis
4.0 Results And Discussion
- 4.1 Results
- 4.2 Discussion Of Findings
5.0 Conclusion And Recommendation
- 5.1 Conclusion
- 5.2 Recommendations
1.1 Background of the study
Drug abuse is one of the top problems confronting the nation today especially among the youth. Incidences of drug abuse and related anti-social behavior have tremendously increased in recent years. This has become a matter of concern to the government, parents, teachers, Non-governmental organizations and all other relevant agencies. Parents do not recognize the extent of drug use and as a result, some young people think they can use drugs with impunity. Most parents believe that it is the responsibility of teachers to check drug abuse among school going youths and still most of them delude themselves that their children are safe and secure.
Drug abuse is not confined to young people in certain geographical areas or from particular social-economic backgrounds. It affects the nation as a whole-both urban and rural areas. The concept of “drug” has been defined as any chemical substance which affect living organism. Such a substance may be used to fight infections and illness or minimize pain, fatigue, anxiety or at times to achieve certain level of euphoria. WHO (1952) defined “drugs” as any substances that when taken into a living body produce reactions or modify its psychological and physiological functioning. On the other hand “drug abuse” has been defined as any use of drugs for nonmedical purposes almost always for altering consciousness. Drug abuse denotes substances that change the mental or physical state of a person and that may be used repeatedly for that effect leading to abnormality.
WHO defined “Drug dependence” as a “state” arising from repeated administration of a drug on a periodic or continuous basis in order to experience its psychic effect and sometimes to avoid the discomfort of its absence.(Kilonzo, 1996:170). However, experience shows that drug abuse has been on the medical and nonmedical drug which is the concern of this study. For the medical drugs, using them without prescription of the medical personnel or using them contrary to the prescriptions of the medical personnel is considered as abusing the medical drugs. For example some people use symptoms of diseases as a means of buying and using different drugs or for quicker recovery as some think, they use drugs not asprescribed by the doctors, i.e. use drugs for four times instead of three times or three times instead of two times per day.
For the non-medical or illicit drugs, they include heroin, cocaine, cannabis, opium etc. When these are used it is said that drugs are abused because their uses are not for the purposes of treating, preventing and diagnosing diseases. Cigarette smoking is one of licit drugs which commonly abused by people.The main effect of using cigarette is nicotine which causes cancer of lungs, gangrene chest pain, death etc.Also alcoholism from the medical point of view indicates a disease caused by chronic, excessive drinking resulting to dependence on alcohol. Physiological definition of alcoholism classifies it as a drug addiction recognizable by the occurance of a withdrawal syndrome when the drinking is stopped. Mbatia (1996:61).
In a nutshell alcohol like the other drug abuses, affect the quality of the people’s lives and affect people in both developed and developing countries. Alcoholism and drug abuse are a growing problem in Nigeria affecting people at different levels and groups including street children, prostitutes, the youth, men and women. Ironically drug abuse is no longer a problem confined to the slums and youths in the urbancenters but also in schools, prisons and the rural areas. In this view drug abuse affect almost everybody in the society but the researcher wants to investigate the danger of drug abuse among youths.
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
Drug abuse is one of the top problems confronting the nation today especially among the youth. Incidences of drug abuse and related anti-social behavior have tremendously increased in recent years. This has become a matter of concern to the government, parents, teachers, Non-governmental organizations and all other relevant agencies. It is more prevalent than parents suspect. Parents do not recognize the extent of drug use and as a result, some young people think they can use drugs with impunity.
1.3 Objective Of The Study
The main objective of this study is dangers of drug abuse among the youths. But for the successful completion of the study; the researcher intends to achieve the following sub-objectives.
- To identify the causes which make the youth to abuse drugs in Nigeria
- To find out the impacts of drug abuse among youth in Nigeria
- To ascertain the relationship between drug abuse and the youth psychological behavior
- To recommend remedial measures of drug abuse among youth in Nigeria
1.4 Research Hypotheses
For the successful completion of the study, the following research hypotheses were formulated by the researcher;
H0; there are no causes which make the youth to abuse drugs in Nigeria
H1; there are causes which make the youth to abuse drugs in Nigeria
H02; there are no relationship between drug abuse and the youth psychological behavior
H2; there are relationship between drug abuse and the youth psychological behavior
1.5 Significance Of The Study
It is believed that at the completion of the study, the findings will be of benefit to the youth. The study will help to address the causes and also provide the remedies to the drug abuse among youth.The study will also be of great benefit to the researchers who intends to embark on research on similar topics as it will serve as a guide. Finally, the study will be of great importance to academia’s, lecturers, teachers, students and the general public.
1.6 Scope And Limitation Of The Study
The scope of the study covers the dangers of drug abuse among youth. The researcher encounters some constrain which limited the scope of the study;
a) Availability Of Research Material:
The research material available to the researcher is insufficient, thereby limiting the study
The time frame allocated to the study does not enhance wider coverage as the researcher has to combine other academic activities and examinations with the study.
c) Organizational Privacy:
Limited Access to the selected auditing firm makes it difficult to get all the necessary and required information concerning the activities.
1.7 Definition Of Terms
Danger is the general word for liability to all kinds of injury or evil consequences, either near at hand and certain, or remote and doubtful: to be in danger of being killed. Hazard suggests a danger that. Peril usually denotes great and imminent danger: The passengers on the disabled ship were in great peril
Substance abuse, also known as drug abuse, is a patterned use of a drug in which the user consumes the substance in amounts or with methods which are harmful to themselves or others, and is a form of substance-related disorder.
Youth is the time of life when one is young, but often means the time between childhood and adulthood (maturity). It is also defined as “the appearance, freshness, vigor, spirit, etc., characteristic of one who is young”
1.8 Organization Of The Study
This research work is organized in five chapters, for easy understanding, as follows
- Chapter one is concern with the introduction, which consist of the (overview, of the study), historical background, statement of problem, objectives of the study, research hypotheses, significance of the study, scope and limitation of the study, definition of terms and historical background of the study.
- Chapter two highlights the theoretical framework on which the study is based, thus the review of related literature.
- Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study.
- Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding.
- Chapter five gives summary, conclusion, and recommendations made of the study
5.0 Conclusion And Recommendation
Area that are dominated by low-income earners, characterized by systems of competing and conflicting moral, ethical and professional values. These factors force youths to face varying degrees of confusion to what society experts from them.
More so, due to the fact that these youth respondents know little about the dangers caused by these drugs or substances to their health as well as the society at as whole, a proper orientation on the side of the leaders of various communities in Jos North Local Government Area, and also the help of the National Drugs Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) will go a long way in helping to bottle against drug and substance abuse among youths. The youths should be provided with proper orientation to make them know the dangers of drug and substance and how this act could destroy their future.
- It is recommended that all youths that abuse drugs and substance should be given maximum orientation on the dangers posed by the act. Lack of orientation is one of the major causes that make youths to abuse drugs and substance.
- The Government should provide employment opportunities to the youths. If they are engaged in doing one thing or the other, they will not have maximum time to waste, which will give them the opportunity to link up with their friends and abuse drugs. When one is idle, it is easier for him to engage in doing some anti-social acts just as the saying idleness is a great enemy of the soul”.
- Religious leaders should also play an important role in order to make youths know that abusing drugs and substance is a sin. They can do so through preaching by sending the right messages to their followers; they should tell them what the scripture says on harming or killing oneself. Drug and substance abuse is just like killing oneself.
- Educational policies should also be implemented. The government should encourage education through providing free education to all people. Some of these youths want to attend school but lack of resources is hindering them.
- Parents should also monitor their children as well as the kind of friends that their children have, most of the time peer group pressure is responsible for anti social acts. We should also know the behaviours of our children so that when we notice anything unusual from them, we know how to intervene.
- Government should also implement policies that will promote better living for the whole society. Poverty should be r educed to minimal level because it is one of the major factors that bring about drug abuse.
How To Get The Complete Material For “Dangers Of Drug Abuse Among The Youths“
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to Your Email Address After Payment
( Quick & Simple)
|FOR CLIENTS IN NIGERIA:|
|CLICK HERE TO MAKE PURCHASE (₦3,000)|
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|CLICK HERE TO MAKE PURCHASE ($15)|