The Problems And Prospect Of Public Corporation In Nigeria (A Case Of Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) Enugu District)
Due to the dividing fortune in most of the public corporation in Nigeria, Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) Enugu District has been taken into study so that it can be exposed to individuals why they don’t usually serve their purpose as an organization corporation established to improve the welfare of citizens.
The researcher is therefore centered on these problems that are militating against the performance of public corporation in Nigeria, especially the Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) Enugu District. In Nigeria, the course of study the research made so many findings and based on the findings, the following recommendations are made to improve the performance of NTA.
- There is the need for advantage findings of NTA by the government since the majority of NTA problems stem from inadequate finding.
- Better salary package /structure to NTA staff will boost staff efficiency and productivity
to enable the Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) work effectively and efficiently.
Table Of Contents
- Title Page
- Table of content
- 1.1 Background of the study
- 1.2 Statement of the problem
- 1.3 Objectives of the study
- 1.4 Research Question
- 1.5 Significance of the study
- 1.6 Scope of the study
- 1.7 Limitation of the study
- 1.8 Definition of major terms
2.0 Literature Review
- 2.1 Historical development of public corporation Enterprise
- 2.2 Meaning / Definition of public corporation
- 2.3 Problem of public corporation in Nigeria
- 2.4 Major function of NTA
- 2.5 Characteristics of public corporation in Nigeria
- 2.6 Justification for government intervention in commercial activities in Nigeria.
3.0 Research Design and Methodology
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Research design
- 3.3 Sources / methods of data collection
- 3.4 Population and sample size
- 3.5 Sample techniques
- 3.6 Validity and reliability of measuring instrument
- 3.7 method of data analysis –
4.0 Data Presentation and Analysis
- 4.1 Data presentation
- 4.2 Data Analysis
- 4.3 Research Findings
5.0 Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
- 5.1 Summary
- 5.2 Conclusion
- 5.3 Recommendation
In developed economics, public corporation or enterprises are manly complementary to private enterprise in the provision of goods and services.
Also in developing countries on the other hand, the reverse is the case as government champion most economic activities as well as development efforts for this reason public corporation and enterprises provide about half or more of the goods and service for the general public.
In Nigeria for instance, section 1b (1,2,and 3) of 1999 constitution mandated the state to pursue, vigorously is the economic objective activities of subsection 4(b) which is the production activity directly concerned with the production. Distribution and exchange of wealth or goods and services.
Government’s direct participation or ownership of enterprises is dearly manifested in the creation of public corporations since institutions cannot, in government paternalistic view be left to when and caprices of the ordinary business spectators.
Public corporation have bee described as very powerful agent for development and for the distribution of wealth resources and influences they are generally an institutions that enjoys complete government monopoly as it is judged to be extremely vital of public life they have emerged as a result of government acting in the capacity of an entrepreneur the domination of public corporation over privately owned ones in Nigeria sequel to the provision of social goods and services explain in fact why government all over the world have shown diverse interest in enterprise ranging from within which these corporation operate to eventual outright ownership.
1.1 Background Of The Study
Nigeria since independence has witnessed turbulent years, budding socio-economic, which are normally associated with developing countries. Problems such as bribery and corruption, nepotism fraud/ embezzlement of public fund, pilfering etc. have prevailed immensely in the country.
In the midst of all the public enterprise or corporation which are meant to serve as a panacea to social / economic problem have therefore been left behind in the provision of progressive, forward looking and time effective scheme of development as far as management cum administration is concerned.
Government encouragement and participation in the shaping of the economic destine of the nation in the post three decade has yet yielded much fruit since the performance of these public corporation / enterprise. They have been either non-existent or inefficient and consequently sound management has not been conspicuous.
It is therefore no longer allegations because a consensus held by most Nigerians show that public corporation unlike the private ones are both inefficient and ineffective. This connotation is born out of the fact that they have not been able to live up to the expectation of the Nigeria masses.
In terms of rendering services if indeed they are both inefficient and ineffective. What actually are the problems that are responsible for their failure on the part of the public corporation? What can be done to remedy the situation? What suggestion and recommendation can be put forwarded in order to ensure efficiency and effectiveness?
Indeed, this research work engages on exposing the problems and prospects of public corporations in respect to the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) Enugu district and its contributions in rendering service to the public and national development is also on focus.
Worthy of mention is that for purposes of convince and clarity of expression, the term public corporation and public enterprises shall be used interchangeably or loosely in this work.
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
The establishment of public corporation by the Nigeria government stated over four decades ago. Incidentally NTA was among the servant corporations that were established primarily to render efficient, effective and relate delivery of quality goods and service to members of the public. This Nigeria Television Authority (NTA), Enugu district is of great importance to the socio – economic well been of the nation.
Researchers, management experts and the general public have expressed dissatisfaction of disappointment on gross inefficiency, exhibited over the years of NTA and as such culminated into an astronomic reduction in it over all performance. In fact, no day passes without some sharp and adverse criticism about NTA both in the press and electronic media on the various problems people encounter in their daily dealing with NTA.
Therefore, the statement of the problem concerning this study can be summarized thus:
- Financial limitation / inadequate funding have greatly reduced the performance of NTA Enugu District.
- Frequent government interference reduces the efficiency and effectiveness of NTA
- Bad/ incompetent management leads to inefficiency of NTA
- Inadequate or absence of incentive and welfare scheme leads to inefficiency of NTA staff in Enugu District.
- Inadequate in service training and management development of staff reduces the performance of NTA Enugu District.
1.3 Objective Of The Study
The prime objectives of this study are as follows:
- To critically identify and analyze the problems of NTA Enugu District as a branch under the umbrella of a public corporation.
- To proffer valid suggestion or recommendation on how these teething problems could be solved.
- To reposition restructure, and re-engineer the strategic views of NTA towards the realization of its socio-economic goals to the nation at large.
1.4 Research Question
The study of this nature provides further testing for a number of research question concerning the problems and prospects of public cooperation in Nigeria as regards to Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) Enugu District. The following research questions are therefore developed in this study.
- What are the major problems of NTA Enugu District as part of Nigeria’s Public Corporation?
- Can frequent government interference retard the performance of NTA?
- Does inadequate service training and low manpower development affect the overall performance of NTA?
- Does inadequate funding of NTA amount to inefficiency / ineffectiveness?
- Is poor motivation incentive for staff a major problem of NTA Enugu District?
1.5 Significance Of The Study
Most researchers and communication experts have that the vital role of communication in socio –economic development is things of necessity and not a luxury. In fact, the fact of the problem of NTA is public out cry over the need to embark on massive privatization of its share ownership therefore this study will be beneficial to all those who may wish to engage in the management of public corporation. they includes – INVESTORS, GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, GENERAL PUBLIC, POLITICIANS / ADMINISTRATORS, NTA STAFF, PLANNERS, CUSTOMERS ETC.
Also this research is geared towards intensifying effort on how to evaluate appropriately the assets and the financial position of these public corporations before privatization of its share structure.
1.6 Scope Of The Study
This study takes a look at the historical background / Introduction of public corporation in Nigeria, it problems and prospect within Nigeria, Television, Authority (NTA) Enugu District.
In fact, this study is centered on between NTA. It is customers and the generality of the Authority of NTA. It is chosen in the work because of the prevailing circumstances that renders its operations inefficient and ineffective.
1.7 Limitation Of The Study
The researcher meticulously limited this study to the NTA Enugu District. It is pertinent to assert that due to time constraint and inadequate finance, the researcher has chosen to confirmed or limit her work in order not to create room for error or ambiguity.
More so, NTA like any other public corporation is equally being guided by public service ethics which makes it difficult for the researchers to lay hand on some documents that are classified “Secret or confidential” which may be relevant to this course of study. In spite of the above mentioned limitations the reliability and validity of the study is not affected, as it runs no risks for understanding or exaggerating the subject matter despite its area of coverage.
1.8 Definitions Of Terms
Concerning the people as a whole
A stage of growth or advancement.
Socio – Economic:
Related to or concerned with the
Interaction about social and economic activities.
A community that is able to govern itself or control its own affairs.
Group of people authorized to act as an individual and recognized in law as a single entity especially in business.
A company or business
To do something well and thoroughly without washing time, money or energy.
The process of managing or being managed, the professional administration of business concern public understanding etc.
Cause a person to act in a particular way, stimulates the interest of a person in an activity.
The execution or fulfillment of a study, etc a person achievement under test condition.
The act or process of teaching or learning slaves discipline etc.
5.0 Summary, Conclusion And Recommendation
Summary of findings is the analysis of all the data collect with all the items or questions in the questionnaires.
Recommendations are made based on the finding and a general conclusion is drawn on the findings
5.1 Summary Of Findings
NTA is a commercial entity fully owned by the federal government with the sole responsibility of providing network service to the public. NTA remained very monopolistic until when other courier houses sprang up.
This research is a complete investigation into the problem and prospect of public corporations in Nigeria especially the Nigeria television authority (NTA) Enugu District. The identified objective of this study is centered on the reason or factors that bring about poor performance of NTA in a bid to proffer solution to these challenges of NTA.
The problems of public enterprise are multifarious and cannot be exhaustively highlighted. Although several attempts have been made in the courses of this study to expose these inherent NTA problems to punctual solutions.
A greater number of our respondents have decided that poor and shabby performance of NTA Enugu district that is orchestrated by inadequate finding, etc the deplorable conditions of NTA have culminated in a total loss of confidence in NTA services, loss of prestige and a complete retardation in its operation.
More so, the available data in this study is of the view the better performance of NTA can be achieved if and only if these structural problems are tacked with it most concern.
Government huge spending on public enterprise / corporation with out commensurate return in profit /services to the public has often raised the question “to be or not to be” NTA as one of the public enterprises have suffered some major set backs resulting from poor or inadequate funding, poor managerial competence etc.
The prospect of NTA can be enhanced through the strict application of already proffered solution such as the provision of adequate funding, training and manpower development, computerization of NTA etc.
Finally, the effective and efficient performance of NTA in Nigeria is a sine qua non to ensuring that the influx of private competitors does not endanger the life and welfare of the public. This explains the intricate nature of communication to man and the need to sanitize the Nigeria television authority (NTA) Enugu district.
The researcher makes the following recommendation based on the findings of this study. Therefore, for a better and efficient performance of NTA to be guaranteed the following recommendations are made.
- Adequate funding of NTA must be an issue of national concern since the major problem of NTA is inadequate funding. This is a hindrance to the efficient performance of NTA.
- There is the need for an appropriate motivational trolls (that is the existence of infrastructural support) such as fair wages and salaries, medical and housing benefit etc. in other words, the input of workers (Staff) should be in commensurate, with their payment. This is because “a satisfied worker is a happy and efficient worker”.
- Adequate training and manpower development of NTA staff must be put in place. In service training of staff should be given a priority because of the influx of other courier companies. Competitions are now on a top best in terms of service delivery and customers care.
- Better transport facilities should be given to NTA to facilities should be given to NTA to facilities an easy conveying of mails staff etc. this is one of the major stay an interval of 3.4 days before reaching its destination (ie within the country or state).
- Public corporation jobs especially NTA should be made to be attractive and prestigious in terms of promotions, pay increase security of work or tenure. The helps to reduce stealing, bribery and corruption, high rate of labour turnover. Also qualified personnel or applicants will have the interest to seek for such jobs in public enterprises.
- Managerial system of management by objective (MBO) should be introduced to ensure efficiency, responsibility and sanity in the performance of NTA.
- Computerization of NTA operation to ensure speedily delivery, proper record keeping and safe guarding of mails letter, transfer etc.
- Strengthening the communication industries in Nigeria by the covering of conference symposia, seminars, workshop.
- The on – going privatization and commercialization of public enterprise especial the communication industries must be done with utmost care so that private enterprise do not become “SHYHOCKS” in the hand of the Nigeria people.
How To Get The Complete Material For The Problems And Prospect Of Public Corporation In Nigeria (A Case Of Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) Enugu District)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN CLIENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- The Problems And Prospect Of Public Corporation In Nigeria (A Case Of Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) Enugu District)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To Your Email Address After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply