An Artistic Appraisal Of NTA Programme On Super Story
This study which was survey by nature aimed at evaluating the viewers artistic appraisal of super story which is a one hour drama production of the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA ) Uyo. finding revealed that respondents were of view that since super story is a programme that is view all over the country and beyond, the used of costume in terms of mode of dressing by some of the characters and used of incessant Yoruba language and some jargons is a complete disregarded for the heterogeneous. Nigeria population that is made up of different language. The language used in super story should be national language and the customers should portray the reality of a Nigeria society.
Table Of Contents
- Cover page
- Title page
- Table of Content
- 1.1 Background to the Study
- 1.2 Statement of the Problem
- 1.3 Delimitation of the problem
- 1.4 Objectives of the study
- 1.5 Significant of the study
- 1.6 Research Questions
- 1.7 Definition of terms
- 2.1 Introduction
- 2.2 Review of Concept
- 2.3 Review of studies
- 2.4 Summary of reviews
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Method of data collection
- 3.3 Scale of Measurement
- 3.4 Method of Data Analysis
Data Presentation, Analysis and Discussion of Findings
- 4.0 Introduction
- 4.1 Finding Aesthetic Elements to language problem
- 4.3 Aesthetic Elements of Mistrust
- 4.4 Dramatic Elements of Mistrust
- 4.5 Aesthetic Elements of a Discipline
- 4.6 Dramatic Elements of be Discipline
- 4.7 Aesthetic Elements of Confusion light
- 4.8 Dramatic Elements of Confusion
- 4.9 Aesthetic Elements of oh! Mother oh! Daughter
- 4.10 Dramatic Elements oh! Mother Oh! Daughter
- 4.11 Aesthetic Element of Essential Commodity
- 4.12 Dramatic Element of Essential Commodity
- 4.13 Aesthetic Element of Deceiver
- 4.14 Dramatic Elements of Deceiver
- 4.15 Aesthetic elements of the oath
- 4.16 dramatic elements of the oath
- 4.17 Aesthetic Element of “Love is Blind
- 4.18 Dramatic elements of love is Blind
- 4.19 Aesthetic Elements of superstition
- 4.20 Dramatic Elements of superstition
- 4.21 Aesthetic Elements of my family
- 4.22 Dramatic Elements of my family
- 4.23 Discussion of finings
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
- 5.1 Summary
- 5.2 Conclusion
- 5.3 Recommendations
1.1 Background of the Study
The Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) programme super story is an hour drama production of the Nigerian television authority Lagos, which is produced and directed by Wale Adenuga and transmitted on the network services of the NTA for its estimated 120 million viewers.
Prior to when the programme in the early 2000 the NTA programme is an educative programme which is transmitted in all the NTA, stations every Thursday Night. The programme is still in progress till today. The progrmame, which is even enjoyed by the president of the federal republic of Nigeria, has stayed on the line of success running on the Network service of the NTA.
The sole objective of the programme is to depict the life style of the people. It is also designed to enlighten people of their made believed culture.
Television unlike its counter parts radio, newspaper and magazine is an electronic medium of mass communication that can been regarded as smashing because of its unique and advantageous characteristics of being able to combine sound, motion and vision.
But the inability of Nigerian producers to realize and take advantages of this medium’s prestigious characteristics in competence of these producers. Thus it is not connected to find out that most producers have only succeeded in putting insignificant vision in an insignificant form.
This inability to manipulate the aesthetic element of television has often led to the poor handling of light disobedient to the aspect ratio of 3 units by 4 units poor vector management and poor co-ordination of camera shots, long shot and extreme long shots as well as adequate use of time in the production of programmes.
Thus television in Nigerian began as late a s the 50’s it would be inappropriate to regard both the medium and its audience as a novelty.
The increasing craze for television is not for fetch from the number of antemas on the roofs of most homes lot to mention the acquisition of satellite dishes by a few rich Nigerians that enable them to tune to foreign stations.
The increasing participation of audience members in the communication situation by being able to critically determine what they consume explain the deviation from the old and great hypothermic needled theory of stimulus.
Response that sees the individual as a passive communication participants. If the communicator must communicate successfully then he must be able to select and organized his material in such a way that he able to order. clarify and intensity experiences to the audience in order to make “him feel and being to hurt” Akpan (1987). But the poor nature of artistic production of Nigerian television stations programmes user story produced constitutes the major focus of this assessment.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
It has been observed that the production of quality programmes in Nigeria is still far from being achieved, taking the concept of synergy into consideration. This study therefore attempts to assess how suchartistic elements, substance, form and techniques alongside light, space sound, costume, colour, time and motion are manipulated synergistically in the portrayed of the realities about the people in the NTA programme “Super story”
1.3 Delimitation of the Problem
Bearing in mind that NTA super Story is a network programme on the Nigerian television Authority Logos, the protection of its documented works for security reasons almost delayed the successful completion of this research. due to the difficulty in acquiring these tapes the researcher resorted to analyzing only 10 episodes of the programme. Also being that NTA utilizes the very Higher Frequency (V.H.F.) band the problem of having to transfer episodes of the programme to VHS cassette. the end result of which some of the episodes’ appeared with in black and white or coloured. as a result of these predicaments which the researcher encountered it was his intension therefore not to assess “colour” as one of the aesthetic elements of television production since it would be difficult to ascertains if the problems was either form the dubbed tapes or from the television set.
Due to inadequate experts in the field of television aesthetics the section on limited works of most of the scholars present and vested in the field.
1.4 Objective of the Study
The objectives of the study include the following;
- To assess how the artistic elements are utilized in the NTA.
- To ascertain whether specific art elements used by the producer actually depict or reflect the “trueness” of the realities about the people.
- To identify those factors that hinder the production of quality programmes in Nigeria and the NTA programmes “Super Story” in particular.
- To educate existing producers and also emerging ones the need to use and manipulate aesthetic element effectively in the production of programme. Thus a yard sticks for the production of other people.
- To create awareness on the part of producers on the need to create synergy in their programmes.
1.5 The Significance of the Study
The Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) in its attempt and performing its entertainment function (of Mass Communication) as outlines by Charles Wright, utilizes drama as just but one of it many forms of programme presentation.
But the poor, unimpressive nature in the artistic presentation of most Nigerian television authority programme with due emphasis to the NTA “super story” which the researcher have been opportune to watch as many episodes as available leaves much to be desired.Most NTA production and even West African a s a whole, has the same problem.
This it is this subject matter, the NTA programme super story that forms the focus of this study. It is hoped that through the preview of documented tapes and analysis and presentation of findings of the episodes that were dubbed and recommendations guiding principles and possible solutions would be attempted on how producers could be m ore artistic in the manipulation of the aesthetics of television to create synergy in their progrmame productions in Nigeria and the MNTA super story in particular.
1.6 Research Questions
- What are the autistics elements employed in super story?
- Do the content of super story meet the needs of the audiences?
- Are the aesthetic element duly employed in the programme
1.7 Definition of Terms
The arrangement of communication elements such as light, space, time and motion and sound in such a way that they generate feeling in the audience.
The mastery and knowledge of skill of aesthetics approach in the imagination creation of beauty in order to give satisfaction
The medium (television) which the artistic has carefully chosen (significant form) to express the signiftcant vision.
The process of putting significant vision in a significant form.
The blending and organization of the dramatic and aesthetic elements of television sub-consciously.
The standard television dimension of 3 units high and 4 units wide.
Force with a direction and magnitude. It also includes the way images and other objects are held within television screen space.
One who creates a programme, and co-ordinates all the production elements, as well as bringing the programme into existence.
Any distraction elements that distorts or interferes with the original meaning of a message.
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
The major concern of this study has been top assess how such artistic elements –substances, form and technique alongside light, colour, time, and motion space and costume were manipulated synergistically, in the portrayal of the realities in the societythrough the NTA programme “Super story”
Based on the assessment and observation of ten (10) episodes of the progrmame. Judging form their dramatic and aesthetic elements the study reveals that these of costumes in terms of mode of dressing by some of the characters in the programme does not reflect the truths of the realties in the society.
It was revealed that light is an important aesthetic element was poorly handled as it could not be used to control unwanted shadows in some of the episodes. The inability of the programme to keep to actual time reveals that the objective time of the programme was not taken into consideration as most of the episodes ran short of the required time.
The inability of utilize and blend these aesthetics and dramatic elements, which are evident sin the programme shows the inartistic nature of the programme.
Having carefully assessed the NTA programme supers story, it is obvious that the synergistic production of any artistic television progrmame, is not altogether, a simple task. But it must be stressed that though the NTA programme super story has failed in manipulating the aesthetic and dramatic elements in portraying the realities about the people its steps should be regarded as a production storming process of achieving synergy. This is because it is for belief of this research that there is still room for improvement if only the producer, can through “magnification” of selective emphasizes order, clarity and intensity the dramatic and aesthetic elements in the programme.
Having critically analyzed the NTA programme super story and bearing in mind that abnormalities exists in the artistic production of quality programme in Nigeria and the NTA in particular, it would be unscholarly to point out flaws without attempting solutions.
This research hereby suggests:
- Television producers must have formal education both theoretically and practically in the skills of artistic television production
- The producer of the NTA programme, should liaise with the production in order to acquire first hands knowledge of the realities in the society.
- The establishment of a standard programme production body to serve as a programme assessment board for the conduction of research and also to act as an instrument of determining the artistic inability of quality productions of programmes for the Nigeria television stations.
- Time should be actually considered in the production of the programme. Thus the progrmame should be psychologically in tune and not too long or boring and not fall short of at least 55 minutes and 58 minutes respectively of the required 60 minutes.
- The auditioning of any presentation must ensure that characters act the part they play and must leave up to these parts. Thus the cast must be professionals that have a first had experience in the field sin the theatrical communication.
- Finances should be adequately made available and appropriate facilities provided to effectively enhance the production or programme super story to allow it depict or shot scene and outside scenes respectively.
- The establishment of more communication arts and mass communication departments in the country, which should be affiliated with television stations and courses, offered in the field of television aesthetics to allow for a theoretical and practical knowledge on the techniques of television production by scholars. The need for government to allow private ownership of television along side the existing stations to create room for competition and enhance the production of quality programme.
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦5,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731
|Acc No: 1225513212
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS
|Make Payment of 120 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Cloud Osabutey | MTN MoMo
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: An Artistic Appraisal Of NTA Programme On Super Story
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply