Maintenance And Servicing Problems Of Specialist Works In Building
The study considered the maintenance and servicing problems of specialist works in buildings. It shall identify the cause of damages to these specialist works. a unit of hero’s apartment Owerri was taken as a case study due to the on-going maintenance work on the buildings for effective research work to be achieved, questionnaires will be distributed to all the professionals on site including some specialist and also some will be generated from texts and journals. The research questions and hypothesis shall be formulated which will guide the study.
Conclusions will be made on the problems encountered during the maintenance of specialist works. And pointing out how sometimes the problems can affect some part or the entire building and how these problems result due to inefficiency on the part of the specialist and lack of proper supervision, use of low-quality materials, lack of data and information that can guide the maintenance work. Several recommendations will be provided to assist the maintenance work.
Table of Contents
- Title page
- Approval page
- Table of contents
- 1.1 Background of the study
- 1.2 Statement of the problem
- 1.3 Aim and objectives of the study
- 1.4 significance of the study
- 1.5 Research question
- 1.6 Delimitation of the study
- 1.7. Limitation of the study
- 1.8 Definition of terms
2.0 Review of Related Literature
- 2.1. Introduction
- 2.2. Classification of maintenance
- 2.2.1 Objective of maintenance
- 2.3. The need for maintenance in building
- 2.3.1. Live of the building
- 2.3.2. Life cycle of building components
- 2.4. Maintenance problems of some specialist works in building
- 2.4.1. Maintenance of electrical works
- 2.4.2. Routine inspection, testing and maintenance of lighting conductor/insulation
- 2.4.3. Maintenance procedures and practice
- 2.4.4. Maintenance problems
- 2.5. Lifts
- 2.5.1. Maintenance of lifts
3.0 Research Methodology
- 3.1 Introductions
- 3.2. Theoretical framework
- 3.3. Rationale for choice of variables
- 3.4. Research methodology
- 3.5. Data selection and analysis
- 3.6. Buildings used as case study by the researcher
4.0 Data Presentation and Analysis of Data
- 4.1 discussions of findings
5.0 Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
- 5.1 Summary
- 5.2 Conclusion
- 5.3 Recommendations
1.1 Background Of The Study
Building maintenance and servicing has until recently been a neglected field of technology being regarded by many as a “Cinderella” activity. Yet every infrastructure or equipment requires being maintained to remain in functionality and up-to date standard. Buildings are the nation’s most valuable assts, providing people with shelter and facilities for work and leisure. U.K. in its report of the committees on building maintenance in 1972 defined building maintenance as work undertaken to keep, restore or improve every facility that is, every part of the structure, its services and surrounds to currently accepted standards to sustain the utility and value of the facility. Maintenance and servicing starts the day the contractor leaves the site having completed the building. The design, material specification, construction, including workmanship, function and use will determine the amount of maintenance during the life span of each building.
In the design and construction of buildings there are parts of the construction which are handled by a sub contractors, who are specialized in their field and these works are referred to as specialist works in building these include external works around the building such as landscaping, gates, paths etc , mechanical and electrical installations water supply and drainage systems. Most times there are problems in the maintenance of these specialist works. These problems are basically as a result of insufficient data and information that can support, maintenance, inputs, use of newly introduced materials, poor workmanship, the use of poor standard building materials, can cause significant problem.
1.2. Statement Of The Problems
As more and more facilities are being constructed more maintenance work is required in order to cope with the vast growth of construction. Maintenance starts the day the contractor leaves the site, having completed the building.
But as facilities become order, it becomes even more important to maintain these facilities. Nowadays, concentration is centralized on construction work leaving maintenance lagging behind. It is obvious that during the project delivery, and also during maintenance process, the specialist works are given to people who are considered experts in their various fields. This study is directed towards the identification of short comings in the maintenance problems of specialist works and this may be due to the following:
– Not considering the maintainability analysis during the design stage, material specification, insufficient data and information that can support maintenance works, Construction including workmanship poor team supervision, function and use etc.
1.3. Aim And Objectives Of The Study
The main aim of this research is to know how maintenance problems of specialist works can be handled effectively in building projects.
Objectives Of The Study
The main objectives of the study includes
- To know the problems encountered in the maintenances of specialist works
- To know those factors that are responsible for the damage of these specialist work
- To propose result oriented solutions towards averting these maintenance problems if the current practice is not adequate.
- To know the government approach towards maintenance problems
- To service facilities or servicing of facilities in order to serve its/their functions
1.4. Significance Of The Study
Maintenance is a continuous operation to keep the building and its components, equipments and facilities in the best form for normal use or to serve its functions. The research work provides an insight as well as broadens the general knowledge on the maintenance problems of specialist works in building projects. These problems usually happens for all buildings, the problems such as subsidence, water leakages frequently occurs at joint parts. Although the extension works are not difficult, very often contractors overlooks or fail to ensure that the joints between the old and the new buildings are done perfectly. The findings and recommendations of this research would be of great importance to buildings which might be facing some problems finally, the students of building technology and other related courses will also find this work useful as it will serve as a reference work for further research.
1.5 Research Questions
This study is aimed at identifying the maintenance problems of specialist works in building projects. assumptions are made that all buildings irrespective of their locations and other environmental factors have similar characteristics in view of this the following questions are asked.
- What are the problems encountered during the maintenance of specialist works in buildings?
- Does these problems affect the entire building during these maintenance?
- Who are these people involved in these specialist work in building?
1.6 Delimitation Of Study
The research work encompasses the maintenance problems of specialist work in building. This research is focused on buildings in Owerri, Imo state and the buildings are numerous in number. Taking into considerations time, space and the functions of these building in the state, it will not be possible for the researcher to visit all of them and produce effective study, consequently, the research is narrowed down to hero’s luxury apartment beside concord hotel Owerri.
1.7. Limitations Of The Study
The study deals with the maintenance problems of specialist work in buildings, the researcher encountered some difficulties in the course of carrying out this research work, notable among them includes:
- The un-cooperative nature of many respondents, many thought that the researcher has something else to do with the information given considering their sensitive nature, other then for academic purposes, It is a bit difficult for the researcher to collect data from the respondents.
- Financial constraints also contributed immensely to the extent to which data is collected, owing to time frame given for this researcher work, it made it not so easy for the researcher to bring this work to the best standard.
1.8. Definition Of Terms
These are works that are handled by sub-contractors other then the main contractor of the building based on their areas of specialization.
Which is essentially cleaning operation, oiling etc in order to restore component and parts to functional standards.
This is the practice of integrating operations and maintenance experience processes to achieve ease, accuracy, safety, and economy of maintenance tasks throughout the life of the facility.
This is prepared at the time of construction of a building or design and manufacturer of any tool and plant. This manual illustrates clearly various building components, services and equipment giving their locations and drawings.
These are work under taken to keep, restore or improve every facility.
Summary, Conclusion And Recommendations
This study, the maintenance problems of specialist works in building started from chapter one which reviewed the background of the study. The associated problems of the study were identified that during the maintenance of specialist works in buildings there are problems in the maintenance process. These problems basically are the results of insufficient data and information that can support design inputs, inexperienced workers or failures to obtain good team to advise the proper form of building features, or the use of inferior/ poor building materials can cause significant problems.
From the research questions distributed and collected it as found out that there are problems encountered during maintenance of specialist works in building features, or the use of inferior/poor building materials can cause significant problems.
And some times these problems can affect the entire building because these specialist works are part of the building component.
Maintenance is an integral part of life span of the building and its features, and components, hence the study intended to find out the problems encountered in maintenance of specialist works in building, the factors that causes damage in these specialist works and to propose result oriented solutions towards averting these maintenance problems if the current practice is not adequate.
These researches concluded that specialist works are the most sensitive parts in building. These required a lot of experienced and professional workers so as to eliminate the rate of untimely damages which can develop in a short distant time after construction of the building.
And during maintenance, experienced and skilled labourers are needed to identify the factors that cause damages on these specialist works in building. And also use the standard materials during maintenance work. In connection with the problems identified above, the study therefore suggested a proactive approach to maintenance checklist operations on key building elements. It also provides frequencies for maintenance operations, the type of staff and the number of operatives required for effective implementation. As a matter of policy, every individual especially those in the building industry should preserve the quality of existing dwellings and neighborhoods so that people will find our community a healthy, safe and attractive place to call a home today and into the future.
series of investigations carried out by researchers on the maintenance of buildings and other infrastructures in Nigeria points to the fact that maintenance activities within the country is at a low ebb and as such many buildings are in the state of disrepair, it was also observed that adequate attention is not given to maintenance during the design stage of a building project thereby causing problems in some of the building components during the time of maintenance. This leads to little or nothing in general being done as and when due.
Therefore, the numerous problem associated with maintenance could be solved if the following recommendations are adopted.
- Maintenance officers should be incorporated in the design team to advice other professionals, colleagues on the maintenance implication of their design and alternative method of construction for easy maintenance.
- All the specialist works should be given to proper personnel for proper implementation during the development stages of the project.
- Choice of materials is important in the provision of qualitative building with minimum maintenance problem. The professionals involved should recommend materials which have been tested and the properties fully known at the design stage.
- Quality workmanship and effective supervision at every development stage of the projects should be optimal in order to effect quality project production and subsequent minimal maintenance requirement.
How To Get The Complete Material For Maintenance And Servicing Problems Of Specialist Works In Building
The complete material will be sent to your email address after payment
( Quick & Simple)
|FOR CLIENTS IN NIGERIA:|
|CLICK HERE to make purchase (₦3,000)|
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|CLICK HERE to make purchase ($15)|
This research material “Maintenance And Servicing Problems Of Specialist Works In Building” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “Maintenance And Servicing Problems Of Specialist Works In Building” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.