Labour Control In Building Industry
The project research labour control in Building industry is concern about the problem that is associated in construction industry Lagos during the time of working, such as redundancy, interaction, fighting each other in the field of construction, and again to minimize waste of much time in working hour and monitoring how the project is moving with the help of supervising them and motivating the labourers until a project is completed. In this discussion, we emphasize, the work schedule that is the programming of labour per hours.
The limited object of labour control deserves emphasis, the labour control procedure are primary intended to identify deviation form the project plan. this characteristic reflects the advanced stage at which project control becomes important. The time which achieved labour during planning and the labour schedules for the project. During the actual construction, labourers may likely to delay the project and lead to lost cost. As a result, the focus of labour control is an fulfilling the problem that is associated during work hours and the work schedules, and the work program of labour.
1.1 Background Of The Study
Labour control in building is one of the several option of procurement used for project delivery process and records shows that is the oldest procurement system and has been in use in Nigeria far back as the colonial era. It is very important in most of the countries and researchers described it as a system whereby a developer plans and organizes the project delivery process, carries out the design, the planning and procurement of resources and the construction a project using client employed supervisory staff and labour. This type of system is regarded as in-house because clients staff as different from contactor’s staffs carry out the project delivery process and activities. Labour control is the good development in construction because it does not result in high staff strength and overhead costs in the Nigerian construction industry.
The term procurement system refers to a project execution and delivery process and it describes the responsibilities and contractual obligation of the parties to carry out the numerous activities involved in delivering to the owners. According to Ojo (2009), procurement involves the various combination of the design and construction phase to achieve the form of organization to implement the project. Maizon (2003), mention that the Selection of a procurement method for a given project is a difficult task for the clients due to the various factors governing a construction project. He stated further that different client have differing needs and requirements whereby construction project vary so considerably and in every respect, that no single method of procurement can be suitable for every project.
Construction projects are very essential especially as see in developed countries where project are taken as a great priority because it is part of the determinant in knowing the level of development of any country. It evolves through the stages of conception, design and the actual construction. A potential owner initiates the conceptual process by making dew is needs and requirements in form of a brief to a professional. At the design stage, the relevant professionals translate the primary concept into three, an expression of a spatial form to satisfy the owner’s requirements in an option and economic manner. At the construction stage the conception and design are actualized in a practical terms to satisfy the brief.
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
Method provides the framework for implementation and development of project. Time and serious attention are devoted towards the establishment of a procurement system that will be suitable for a particular project. A method used in Building for a particular project is expected to achieve the objective of the project in terms of cost, time and quality but this has not been the case.
Time and cost overrun have been a major problem confronting the Nigerian construction industry and all attempts that have been made so far have not been able to yield the expected results problems have been established from various research work that have been carried out in the past as result of the use of labour control in execution of construction projects includes high staff strength time and cost overrun, poor quality delivery etc.
Labour control and other method adopted in Nigerian Building Construction Industry have raises serious concern to the project stakeholders and the construction industry as a whole. The purpose of the study is to investigate labour control in Building Industry in Lagos state and it environs.
1.3 Aims And Objectives Of The Study
The aim of this project to investigate the labour control in Building and how it affects the project delivery process.
The objective of the study include the following:
- To find out factors that result into the labour control in Building industry.
- To minimize waste in Nigerian Building Industry through effective management control.
- To make recommendation based on the findings in the project on how labour can be properly managed and utilized on site.
- Call for employing skilled works for supervision and general site planning and control.
1.4 Significance Of The Study
The benefit of this study is as follows:
- It will help the labour and management of an organization to know the areas they are performing well and also loopholes they need to attend to:
- It will help management to know what it entails to improve performance in an organization.
- This study will help management to know the benefit of relating well with its workers.
- This study will motivate other researchers to go into further study on the issue.
The information contained in this study will be of immense value to students, management and the general public.
1.5 Research Questions
This research study will find answers to the following research questions at the end of the investigation.
- Does a mutual labour management relation have any effect on workers performance?
- What is the effect of motivation on workers performance?
- Does good communication enhance smooth labour control
- What is the importance of employee participation in management decision making?
- What are the effects of strike on organizational performance?
1.6 Hypotheses Formulation
The following hypotheses have been formulated:
- H0: Mutual labour control does not have any effect on workers performance.
H1: Mutual labour control have an effect on workers performance.
- H0: There is no need for workers participation in decision making.
H1: There is need for workers participation in decision making.
1.7 Scope Of The Study
This study attempts to examine the effects of labour control on workers performance in an organization.
The data for the study will be obtained from China Civil Engineering Construction Company (CCECC ).
1.8 Limitation Of The Study
An obvious limitation to this study was financial constraints, this study proved to be very demanding on the researcher because of the need to source for materials from CCECC .
These materials needed where gotten from the mangers and public relations officer of CCECC , and it was not easy meeting them at the office, talk less of them having enough time to get you the needed materials, this project was also time consuming
1.9 Definition Of Terms
The people who are available to perform work. The collection of people who work or perform the work of an organization.
Is a group of people responsible for running an organization or directing the organization’s human activities for specific ends, they take care of the process of planning, organizing, directing and controlling of human activities.
The way a job or task is done by an individual, a group or an organization.
Is the measure of the relationship between the quantity of results produced and the quantity of resources required for production, production is the measure of the work efficiency of an individual, work unit or an entire organization.
Decision, Recommendation And Conclusion
The discussion, conclusion and recommendation made under this chapter are based on the findings of the study. The study sought to identify the effect of labour control on workers performance in China Civil Engineering Construction Company (CCECC ).
5.1 Discussion Of Findings
Based on the analysis in chapter four as collected from the 122 respondents of China Civil Engineering Construction Company (CCECC ), the findings of the research are summarized below:
- That labour control has an effect on workers performance.
- China Civil Engineering Construction Company has fair mutual labour control .
- That there is need for workers to participate in decision making, because it will give them a sense ofbelonging.
- Junior staff workers do not participate in decision making in China Civil Engineering Construction Company, this is basically left for the management staff, who believe they can handle the jobbetter.
- Motivation is a necessary inducement for workers to workhard.
- The motivational package preferred was good working condition, followed by money, participation in decision making and lastly praise.
- That the communication gap between workers and management of CCECC is wide and it has negative effect on workersperformance.
- The success of a cordial relationship depends on a good and smooth communication between labour and management
- That salaries are paid as and when due.
- The organization has witnessed strike more than twice, and this has an effect on workersperformance.
- That the leadership style operated is democratic style of leadership, which is the best for an effective relationship between labour and management.
For proper and adequate sustenance of a cordial relationship between labour and management, the researcher has stated the followingrecommendations;
- Since labour management relation has an effect on workers performance, management should see to it that a cordial relation is maintained. Terms and conditions under which employees will work must be determined and if both parties fulfill their own parts, there will definitely co-exist peacefully.
- Workers should be given the opportunity to participate in decision making, so as to give them a sense of belonging and enhance their performance. Opinions should be sort from the employees before decisions are taken, since they spend most of their time working for the organization.
- The employees should be motivated in order for harmony to reign between management and labour, so as to enhance performance.
- It is important that the communication gap between the management and workers be bridged to prevent unnecessary sabotage and enable them speak with one voice, thereby avoiding rumormongering.
- Management must pay salaries and when due, since this has been a major cause of industrial action in the organizaiton
The study and findings of the effect of labour control and its effect on workers performance in an organization is the purpose of this study.
The introductory studies and analysis of information in the last chapter forms the foundation for the following conclusion.
- Industrial peace and harmony is necessary in order to have an increased performance, this can only be maintained with good labour control .
- Both the management and employees should understand that they both play an important role in the organization, they should see each other as indispensable in the actualization of the organizational goals and objectives, and this can be achieved by seeing and treating the organization as asystem
- Labour must be handled with care, in order to avoid unproductive labour, on the order hand; labour should not exploit and remain dormant in the organization.
- Motivation and communication are vital factors that affect performance, efforts should be made to meet up with the yearnings of the employees by introducing a motivational package that will suit and satisfy their needs. Communication is the only way information’s can be effectively transmitted, good communication if maintained will reduce misinterpretation and increase the speed with which work is performed.
- Since it is a known fact that workers will purse an objective better, if they join in making the decision on that objective, management should allow workers to participate in decision making, because if workers are granted such permission to participate in decision making, they will feel privileged and indebted to work hard to achieve the joint decision made.
- Organization requires a leadership style that ensures adequate flow of information to all workers, democratic leadership style for now is the prefect style of leadership for labour control .
- Whenever there is a grievance or disagreement in the organization, management should try and resolve it at its early stage either through negotiation or collective bargaining, before it gets too late and result to a strike.
How To Get The Complete Material For “Labour Control In Building Industry“
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: Labour Control In Building Industry
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply