The Role Of Non-Governmental Organization In The Development Of Rural Areas (A Case Study Of Owerri West Local Government Area)
This study gives a suitable detail on The Role Of Non-Governmental Organization On The Development Of Rural Areas (A Case Study Of Owerri West Local government Area). In handling our topic, we have framed it into five chapters. Chapter one bordered on introduction, which contains background of the study, research questions, statement of problems, statement of hypothesis, significance of the study, scope of the study, limitation and definition of terms. Chapter two concentrated on literature review which is made up of introduction. Chapter three dealt on research design and methodology which contains introduction, research design, sources/methods of data collection, population and sample size, sample techniques, validity and reliability of measuring instrument and method of data analysis. Chapter four centered on presentation and analysis of data which contains introduction, presentation of data, analysis of data, test of hypothesis and interpretation of result, and lastly, chapter five is summary of findings, conclusion and recommendations.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Table of Content
- 1.1 Background of the Study
- 1.2 Statement of the Problem
- 1.3 Research Question
- 1.4 Objective of the Study/Purpose
- 1.5 Significance of the Study
- 1.6 Scope of the Study
- 1.7 Limitations of the Study
- 1.8 Definition of Terms
Research Design and Methodology
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Research Design and Methodology
- 3.3 Sources of Data
- 3.4 Method of Data Collection
- 3.5 Sampling Method/Techniques
- 3.6 Validity and Reliability of Measuring Instrument Validity
- 3.7 Method of Data Analysis
Data Presentation and Analysis
- 4.1 Introduction
- 4.2 Presentation and Analysis of Data According to Questions
Summary of Findings, Conclusion and Recommendations
- 5.1 Summary of Findings
- 5.2 Conclusion
- 5.3 Recommendations
1.1 Background of the Study
It is no exaggeration to state from the beginning that our rural arrears have been deliberately milked to impoverishment and to the advantages of the urban areas. This ugly condition of the rural area dates back to the colonial era of Nigeria under the British government. This imbalance in development was inherited at independence and carried along successive government during the abundant natural resources in the rural areas were explored. Any attempts to develop such areas, the political and administrative institution were public decision making. Power in reality was more concentrated and centralized that dispersed especially at the federal level of power as a result of this type of political structure,
This was a clear demarcation between the urban and rural areas development. The urban areas being the seats of government were developed at the expense of the rural areas. In recent times, the issue of rural development has become crucial in the political, social and economic life of nation. This is as a result of the realization of fact that the rural areas and their inhabitants constitute about 70 percentage of the nation population. In order to bring about real development in the rural areas, there must exist active collaboration between government, non-governmental organization and communication with the rural people.
The rural people need to be recognized and helped by the government to enable them form cooperation and productive organization. They should be encouraged to participate actively in the decision making process for the determination of societal goals.
Since the past few decades, various non-governmental organization have shown interest in the development of rural areas. Various communities that have not benefited from the limited financial resource of the government have embarked on development project. It has stimulated and galvanized individuals into activities participation in social economic activities of the nation and has also brought development to the grassroots.
1.2 Statement of Problem
Developments of the rural areas have been a constant issue in Nigeria’s recent economic and political history. In order to bring this into reality, there is need to evolve a system that would activate the participation and support of the rural people.
Having this in mind, the non-governmental organization has been making a move to support government in the bid to develop rural areas. Nevertheless, some problems have been consistent that necessitated the writing of this project work which are:
- Inadequate government presence in the rural areas.
- Lack of basic amenities in the rural areas.
- The absence of good medical services in the rural areas.
1.3 Objective of the Study
The objective of this work is:
- Examine the role being played by non-governmental organization in the development of rural areas.
- To identify the causes of low rate of involvement of the non-government organization in the developmental activities in rural area.
- To ascertain the reason for the inadequate government presence in rural areas.
1.4 Research Question
- What are the roles played by non-governmental organization in the development of rural areas?
- What are the causes of low rate of involvement of the non-governmental organization in the development activities in the rural areas?
- What are the reasons for the inadequate government presence in rural areas?
1.5 Significance of the Study
The following are the beneficiaries of this work:
- The non-governmental organization.
- The local government areas in Imo State.
- The government of Imo State
- The students and
- Fellow researchers.
1.6 Scope of the Study
This work explored the role of the non-governmental organization in the social and physical development of rural areas. The researcher assessed the level of involvement of non-governmental organization in the development of the rural areas. They are locally with regards to the social economic and political like of the people. The work did not cover the role of religious, cultural and administrative organization in the development of rural areas rather the scope covered the non-governmental organizations operating in Owerri West L.G.A.
1.7 Limitations of the Study
Time was the major limitation of work. It was not encouraging because the researcher has to go and prepare for examines among other and as a result too little time was devoted to the study.
Further finance was another major limitation of this work because of inadequate finance, the researcher found it very difficult to buy test books, journals etc for reference purpose hence the use of few ones in the school library for reference purpose.
1.8 Definition of Terms
Non Governmental Organization:
In this study are conceptualized as any non-governmental group of two or more people coming together to perform some activities that lead to the accomplishment of objectives. These organizations are age grades, town unions, cultural groups, philanthropist organization etc.
For the purpose of this study, development implies any form of improvement, progress, positive change that improves the living condition of the people in a particular community.
Rural areas are characterized by depleted workforce rudimentary and inefficient availability of basic infrastructure and social amenities such as safe portable all season roads, telecommunication, electricity, schools, medical facilities recreational facilities and social awareness.
According to Michael, Olisa and Obiukwu (1992), rural development involves a process by which the people efforts are united with those of the government to improve the social economic and cultural conditions of the community integration of the community into the life of the national rural development. It involves comprehensive change in the cultural economic, social, educational and political affairs of the people designed basically to make themselves reliant.
5.0 Summary of Findings, Conclusion and Recommendations
5.1 Summary of Findings
The topic of this study is the roles of non-governmental organizations in development of rural areas. For this study, the three major problems selected include:
- Lack of basic infrastructures which reaches the number of projects carried out by non-governmental organizations for the development of rural areas.
- Non-cooperation between government and non-governmental organization in development activities.
- The problem of inadequate orientation of the people towards national development.
This was an expositing study in which the survey research method was employed. For the expository nature of the study, the above mentioned problems were selected to find the degree of their influence on the development of rural areas.
Since non-governmental organization embrace both social and productive organization, the researcher adopted the random sampling technique in choosing the sample. One hundred and fifty questionnaire were administered and were also used in the study from which generalization of the study were made.
The findings of this research works show that as a result of the poor economy of the nation, the non-governmental organization do not adequately participate in the execution of development projects in rural areas. Also as a result of absence of basic infrastructures of the rural areas, where these organization might be located, which money is being wasted on the provision of these amenities for the up keep of the protective organization. Such money which could have been used to extend development projects in the communities are usually used to provide infrastructures needed in the company. This reduces the peace of development in these rural areas.
It was found out that the national orientation and mass mobilization agencies have nation of adequate implemented the objectives of these agencies in the rural areas. This result t the low local of awareness of the people on the need for rural development.
There is a high evidence of non-cooperation between government and non-governmental organization both in the policy formulation and implementation processes. This makes the organization to isolated from the needs of these rural areas which they ought to identify better.
After detailed deliberations on how some of the selected problems influence performance of the non-governmental organizations in the development of rural areas, I have the following recommendations to make:
- Government should endeavour to provide our rural areas with the basic amenities so that non-governmental organization will not be discouraged by the alarming financial involvement in the provision of these amenities before the operation of the organization.
- Mass mobilization should be intensified in the rural areas to ensure active participation of private individuals and rural dwellers in the development process. This is because it is mainly the human resources of the nations not its capital or material resources that ultimately determine social economic development.
- For improve development of our rural areas, there should be multi-interest, government such structure will create a line between the government and various non-governmental organizations.
- Our administrative structures especially at the local government level, should provide for the exercise of reasonable degree of autonomy by the non-governmental organizations, rather than constituting the government bureaucratic into a sole authority.
- As a way of motivation, a reinforcement, special incentive should be given to those non-governmental organization who invest on various projects for the development of rural areas.
- Well organization and social organizations should be registered and formally recognized by government. This will make them have some psychological sense of importance to boost their patriotic effects in the development of these rural areas.
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: The Role Of Non-Governmental Organization In The Development Of Rural Areas (A Case Study Of Owerri West Local Government Area)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply