The Effects Of Power Outages On The Performance Of Media Houses (A Case Study Of Broadcasting Corporation Of Abia State BCA)
This project, the effect of power outages on the performance of the media houses. The need for the study has arisen from the recognition of the effect of power off which really affect the activities of the media house. The research study is divided into five (5) sections.
Chapter one has the introduction, which introduces the subject matter. It also contains the background of the study where the researcher unveiled those effects of power outages on the day-to-day business of the media house.
This is followed by the statement of the problems were the research enumerated the problem there media house observes that impale her to embark on the research work. It is also has the objectives of the study, research questions, significance and scope of the study.
Chapter two contains all related literatures of different authors who have written on the subject matter. Chapter three emphases on the research methodology. In chapter four, the presentation, analysis and interpretation of data was formulated. Chapter five has the summary of findings, recommendations and conclusion.
Table Of Contents
- Title Page
- Approval Page
- Table Of Contents
- 1.1 Background Of The Study
- 1.2 Statement Of The Problem
- 1.3 Objective Of The Study
- 1.4 Research Questions
- 1.5 Significance Of The Study
- 1.6 Limitation Of The Study
- 1.7 Scope Of The Study
- 1.8 Definition Of Terms
2.0 Literature Review
- 2.1 The Concepts Of Power Outage
- 2.2 Causes Of Power Outages
- 2.3 Effect Of Power Outages On The Media Equipment
- 2.4 How To Prevent Broadcasting Equipment From Power Outages
- 2.5 Protecting, The Power System From Outages
- 2.6 Power Outage Inevitability And Electric Sustainability
- 2.7 Restoring Power After A Wide Area Outage
- 2.8 Theoretical Framework
3.0 Research Methodology
- 3.1 Research Design
- 3.2 Population Of Study
- 3.3 Sample Size
- 3.4 Sampling Procedures
- 3.5 Sources Of Data
- 3.6 Instrument For Data Collection
- 3.7 Validity And Reliability Of Instrument
- 3.8 Administrative Of The Instrument
- 3.9 Method Of Data Analysis
4.0 Data Presentation and Analysis
- 4.1 Introduction
- 4.2 Data Presentation
- 4.3 Discussion Of Findings
5.0 Summary of Findings, Conclusion and Recommendations
- 5.1 Summary Of Findings
- 5.2 Conclusion
- 5.3 Recommendations
1.1 Background Of The Study
Electric power is the rate at which electric energy is transferred by an electric circuit. The SI unit of power is the watt, one joule per second. Power is usually produced by electric generators, but can also be supplied by sources such as electric batteries.
It is generally supplied to businesses and homes by the electric power industry through and electric power grid. Electric power is usually sold by the kilowatt hour (3.6mt) which is the product of power in kilowatts multiplied by running time in hours. Electric utilities measures power using an electricity meter, which keeps a running total of the electric energy delivered to a customer.
Power has been described as the life wire of a robust electronic broadcasting production in an part of the world. Therefore, constant electric power supply with high speed frequency access would likely facilitate the effective provision of media content.
In Nigeria, however, power outages affect the provision of broadcasting production/ services (AKINWALE, 2010). The power holding company of Nigeria.
PLC (PHCN) is vested with the responsibility of electricity supply in Nigeria however; the failure of PHCN to provide adequate and reliable electricity to consumers including broadcasting corporation of Abia state (BCA) still generates a confidence crisis in the country. Ifedi (2005) observed that public confidence in PHCN’S ability to supply uninterrupted and stable electric power is so 10w that consumers coined a term for the organization’s former acronym, NEPA (Never Expect power always) for national Electric power Authority.
Problem confronting PHCN has been linked to 10w investment in power generation over the years. All the plants are very old. Thirty six percent of them are over twenty years old,and no new plant has been installed in the advent of civilian administration in 1999 (Agbo2007; Idris 2013).
With this is pertinent to note that the power supply situation in the country has not improved in the last ten years despite huge investments government claimed to have invested on it. This has necessitated the move to restructure and privatize PHCN declared Agbo (2007). Besides ICT infrastructure which facilitates the running of broadcasting industry are oftentimes damaged by power surges that usually accompany epileptic power supply (kadiri& Ade Toro, 2012).
Most broadcasting stations in Nigeria have now resulted to using power generating sets to provide basic services. It is ironical that, in spite of the enormous power generation potential that Nigeria has, about 60 percent of the country still has no access to electric power supply (UNDP 2001; Ajanaku 2007 and Adegbamigbe 2007).
Regular “electric” power supply is the primary infrastructure for provision of broadcasting services (Uwaifo, 2013). Nigeria is richly endowed with various energy sources, crude oil, natural gas, coal, hydropower, solar energy, fissionable materials for nuclear energy. Yet the country consistently suffers from energy shortage, a major impediment to industrial, technological and broadcasting services growth.
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
In Nigeria, poor electricity supply is perhaps the greatest infrastructural problem confronting broadcasting services. Broadcasting stations and other sectors of the economy experiences power outage or voltage fluctuations about seven times per week, each lasting for about two hours, without the benefit of prior warning (Adenikinju, 2005). This imposes a huge lost on the Broadcasting Corporation of Abia state, giving rise to idleness of presenters, how output, damaged equipment and restart costs.
The overall impact increase uncertainty in provision of broadcasting services and frustrations among its audience. This project therefore seeks to examine the effects of power outages on the performance of media houses, a case study of broadcasting corporation of Abia Station).
1.3 Objective Of The Study
The major purpose of this study is to examine the effect of power outages on the performance of media house.
Other specific objectives are as follows:
- To evaluate the impact of power outages that led to disruption in broadcasting equipment.
- To evaluate the impact of power outages on the business of the media houses.
- To evaluate the impact of power outages on the reaction of the broadcasting audiences.
1.4 Research Questions
- Does electricity supply have any effect on performance of media house?
- To what extent does power outage. Affect the provision of broadcasting services?
- In what ways does electricity affect the cost of broadcasting services?
- What causes power outages on the performance of broadcasting services?
1.5 Significance Of The Study
The study will provide insight into solving the perennial problem posed by frequent power outages in provision of broadcasting services in broadcasting corporation of Abia state. It will also be relevant in various ways.
- The project work will serve as reference material to other researchers wishing to examine the findings of this research work critically.
- The students of mass communication will also find this research very useful.
- The research work will also help other firms in the communication sub sector to know the effect of power outages in the global world.
1.6 Limitation Of The Study
The general applicability of the study findings are as follows:
- Time is a major factor in data collection and other relevant information for use, also physical energy was applied because research work is a tedious work and most a times you get worked up in the process.
- The materials that will done must be readily available use, it becomes difficult to carry an effective study, hence the materials needed to carry out an effective research posed another barrier, thus making the research to embark on a thorough research to comes up with a substantial material this is another limitations of the study.
- Lastly, financial is another problem. you have to subscribe so the internal, surf the web, buy books and journals and put the data together. Because of these limitations, the researcher had to concentrate in a particular group to narrow down this work.
1.7 Scope Of The Study
The study was carried out to find the effect of power outages on the performance of media houses. The study is focused in Umuahia, Abia state. Since it is the coverage of the study. The work covered different reaction of media audiences.
1.8 Definition Of Terms (Operational)
A change that somebody causes in somebody or something else.
A period of time when the supply of electricity is not working.
The main ways that large numbers of people receive information and entertainment i.e. Television, Radio and newspaper.
The act of performing a play concert or some other form of entertainment.
A machine for producing electricity.
This is a short or long term loss of the electric power to an area.
5.0 Summary Of Findings, Conclusion And Recommendations
5.1 Summary Of Findings
This study examined the effect of power outages on performance of media houses with broadcasting corporation of Abia state (BCA) as a case study. To achieve this, the researcher did not only review works done by scholars on the topic but also went into the field by means of survey to seek opinions, views and responses of stakeholders on the truth about the issue under discussion.To this end, questionnaires were prepared and administered on personnel of Broadcasting corporation of Abia state the data collected were critically analyzed.
The findings indicate that the desired level of electricity generation for effective and efficient broadcasting services in broadcasting corporation of Abia state is still lacking. It was revealed that no meaningful media service can be recorded without constant supply of electricity. This according to the result of the findings is why the broadcasting corporation of Abia state (BCA) have not performed very well in provision of media services as a result of content interruption of power supply affecting the said services. This study provides beneficial insight to that constant supply of electricity is a sine-queue for broadcasting service it is anticipated the proactive steps towards finally solving the protracted and seemingly intractable electricity outage.
In this study, the researcher x-rayed the effects of electricity outage on the broadcasting services in broadcasting corporation of Abia state (BCA), the conclusion here is that electricity outage is responsible for poor performance in provision of media services.
The researcher asserts that the challenges plaguing the nations power sector needs to be solved and thereby repositioning the broadcasting corporation of Abia state with adequate electric power for provision of effective media services to her clientele. The following should be considered:
- Adequate funding for supply of electricity
- Use of alternative power supply, such as inverter, biogas and solar
- Increase in funding maintenance of alternative power supply.
- The federal government should augment the investment in the electricity subsector in order to generate and supply the required amount of electricity to address the interruptions in power, since reliable electricity is one of the key factors for effective media service and ensuring sustained poverty reduction in a middle income economy like Nigeria.
- Institutions and households should be made to settle their electricity bills to enable the utility companies to deliver improved services.
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: The Effects Of Power Outages On The Performance Of Media Houses (A Case Study Of Broadcasting Corporation Of Abia State BCA)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply