Local Government And Rural Development (A Case Study Of Ideato North Local Government Area).
Local government and rural development (a case study of Ideato North local government area). The aim of this research is basically to look into local government and rural development. After due consideration, Ideato North local government area was used as a case study, base on the fact the fact that local government in Nigeria has uniform structure. For the purpose of sound research and investigation, research questions were formulated by the researcher to guide her. Literature review was carried out on the concept of local government and rural development. The simple random sampling method was used and the people population of this research was 220 people initial but the responses of 210 people were used in data analysis.
Questionnaires and secondary documents study were used in data collection. Tables and simple percentage were used in presentation analysis of data and responses of the respondents from the discussion of findings, local government have problems such as poor management of funds, state interference, lack of adequate funds etc and if not controlled, the local government will not perform up to expectation. Finally, recommendations and suggestions for further research were drawn from the findings.
Table Of Contents
- Title Page
- Approval Page
- Table Of Contents
- 1.1 Background Of The Study
- 1.2 Statement Of Problem
- 1.3 Objectives Of The Study
- 1.4 Scopes And Limitations Of Study
- 1.5 Significance Of The Study
- 1.6 Research Questions
- 1.7 Definition Of Terms
2.0 Literature Review
3.0 Research Methodology
- 3.1 Research Design
- 3.2 Methods Of Data Collection
- 3.3 Sample Size
- 3.4 Sample Techniques
- 3.5 Data Analysis Techniques
4.0 Presentation And Data Analysis
- 4.1 Data Presentation
- 4.2 Data Analysis
- 4.3 Research Findings
5.0 Summary, Recommendation and Conclusion
- 5.1 Summary
- 5.2 Recommendations
- 5.3 Conclusion
- Supplementary Page
1.1 Background Of The Study
The evolution of local government in Nigeria is traceable to the British indirect rule system introduced by Lord Lugard I 1900 in the northern protectorate. The British indirect rule system made use of traditional institutions in its administration. This system mainly served the economic interest o the colonial masters that introduced it.
However, the 1976 local government reforms that were based on the principles of development and democracy in the rural areas brought about a uniform system of local government with its functions; powers, sources of revenue etc entrenched in the 1976 constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria. It equally made provision for democratically elected representatives in the local government council.
However, as a result of 1976 local government reforms, Ideato local government area comprising of the present Ideato north and Ideato south local government areas came into being.
In 1991, Ideato North local government was created out of Ideato local government by the federal military government headed by General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida (IBB) under the governorship of commodore Amadi Ikwuecheeghi (ex-military governor of imo state) with its headquarters at Urualla which then became part of the 27 local government area of Imo created by the military government.
Constitution Of Local Towns And Villages
Ideato North local government area comprises of two towns and clans viz. Mbanasa and Arondizuogu.
The Mbanasa clan is made up of thirteen autonomous communities namely; Umukegwu, Owere- Akokwa, Akwu, Osina, Obodoukwu, Akpulu, Isiokpo, Urualla, Uzii, Umuezeaga, Umuopia, Umualaoma, and Umuokwra. While Arondizuogu clan is made up of five autonomous communities viz. Awa-Izuogu, Akaeme-Izuogu, Ejezie- Izuogu, Iheme-Izuogu, and Ndiuche autonomous communities. Base on the above facts, Ideato North local government area is made up of eighteen vibrant autonomous communities.
Boundaries And Surrounding Towns
Ideato North local government area covers a land mass of about 172.4sqkm. It shared common boundaries with Aguata local government area of Anambra State, in the north; it is bounded by Okigwe and Onimo local government areas. In the west, Ideato south local government area, in the east, Orlu local government and in the south, Ideato south local government also. It is about 50km distance from Owerri, the capital city of Imo state.
Climate And Vegetation
Ideato north local government is heavily reinforced with huge rain topography in most of its communities. it is mostly dominated with the rainy season from late April to the end of September. This is however normal in most of the southern part of the eastern part of Nigeria especially in the southern areas of imo state.
The local government area is predominantly a farming area with about 70% of its population as peasant farmers and traders. Their most trade is finished arm products. The fertility of the soil during raining season added an advantage to the people and mostly dries and damp during harvest season.
The dry season of December and January are always occasioned by wild harmertarn, courage of cold wave springing from the northern part of Nigeria, within the Jos plateau area and dumping its wave in the eastern part during the season.
1.2 Statement Of Problems
It is guite clear that local governments are mainly created to actualize rural development in Nigeria. That notwithstanding, it has also been observed to a significant extent that the role of rural development is still not processing irrespective of the existence of the local government. This is as a result of certain problems that constitute an obstacle towards actualizing the objectives of local government as an instrument of rural development.
Those problems are;
- State interference
- Bribery and corruption.
- Poor management
- Lack of visionary leaders
- Lack of qualified personnels
However, these have made some of people to neglect the importance of local government and their roles in rural development in Nigeria.
From observation, most people still believe that the state of rural development would have been accelerated more than its present state given the absence of the problems listed above.
1.3 Objectives Of The Study
- To find out if lack of visionary leadership is responsible for the mismanagement of the area.
- To determine if state interference as a problem has affected the level of development in Ideato north local government area.
- To examine the factors that constitutes impediments towards the objectives of local government as it concern rural development.
- To give immediate and lasting solution to the impediments to rural development in Ideato north local government area.
1.4 Significance Of Study
It is hoped that the end of this research work, that the result in a significance extent will help in achieving the following.
- Bring to limelight the relevant and the impact of local
government of the rural levels, having analyzed the role it play in rural development.
- Recommending on the possible ways by which the local government can actualize its objectives especially in rural development and enhancement of grass root democracy.
- Knowing the rational behind the existence of local government and adding one to determine its place in the promotion of grass root democratic
1.5 Scope And Limitation Of Study
This research work covers the role of local government in rural development and democracy (grass root) with the study of Ideato north local government area with particular reference to the people residing at the local government headquarters. Based on the above facts, Ideato North Local government area is made up of eighteen vibrant autonomous communities.
The Mbanasa clan is made up of thirteen autonomous communities, umukegwu, Owere- Akokwa, Akwu, Osina, Obodoukwu, Akpulu, Isiokpo, Urualla, Uzii, umuezeaga, Umuopia, UMualaoma, and umuokwara. While Arondizuogu clan is made up of five autonomous communities viz. Awa –Izuogu, Akaeme – Izuogu, Ejezie-Izuogu, Akaeme-Izuogu, Ejezie-Izuogu, Iheme –Izuogu and Ndiuche.
1.6 Research Hypothesis
These are the research hypothesis to be tested.
- HO: Has poor management of funds resulted in ineffective functioning of Ideato north local government in rural development?
HI: Has Ideato North local government area has enough founds to embark on development project?
- HO: Has Ideato North local government area lack enough funds to embark on development project?
HI: Has Ideato North local government area has enough funds to embark on development project?
The questions are:
- Does state interference in the affairs of Ideato North local government area in rural Development?
- To what extent has lack of visionary leadership affected the performance of Ideato north local government in rural development?
- Has poor management of funds resulted in ineffective functioning of Ideato north local government in rural development?
- Has Ideato North local government area has enough funds to embark on developmental projects?
- To what extent has lack of qualified personnel’s affected the performance of Ideato North local government in rural development?
- Has bribery and corruption resulted in ineffective growth of Ideato North local Government in rural Development?
1.8 Limitation Of The Study
Ideato North local government area covers a land mass of about 172.4sqkm. it shared common boundaries with Aguata local government area of Anambra state, in the North, it is bounded by Okigwe and Onimo local government area. In the West, this research work covers Ideato south local government area, in the East, Orlu local government and in the South, Ideato local government also.
It is therefore, pertinent to print out that because of time, space or distance and financial constraints; the study is limited only to Ideato-north local government area.
This scope is justified by the fact that is practically impossible for the researcher to take into this study all efforts made towards community development in the country. The difficulties that were over-come during the process of this research work are: time constraints, the problem of time was not to the advantages of the researcher and this did not allow for more comprehensive study of this piece.
1.7 Definition Of Terms
Iit is the form of devolution of political powers of the state; it is also the government at the grass root level which is designed to serve as an institution for rural development.
According to Oisa, local government is a union of government between the central, regional or state government.
It is a sustainable change along a trajectory leading to growth or advancement i.e. the process of developing a gradual process of attaining development.
These are those grassroots areas in a community to be developed. They are remote areas of the society or environment that lack development and growth
5.0 Summary, Recommendation and Conclusion
The study was conducted to examine the role of local government in rural development. The study identified some factors which acted as impediments to the local government objectives of rural development.
- Chapter one concentrated on the background of the study that is Ideato North Local Government Area, it also looked at the study, scopes, and limitations of the study, significance of the study, research questions and the definitions of terms.
- Chapter two looked at some relevant literature review which examined the meaning of local government and the concept of rural development.
- Chapter three involves research methodology, research design, methods of data collection, sample size, sampling techniques and analysis techniques.
- Chapter four treated about data presentation and analysis, structured questionnaire method of data collection was used. The simple percentage method of data analysis was also used for easy understanding of the findings.
A proper investigation should be carried out on the problems of local government towards achieving its roles of rural development which includes management of funds, state interference, lack of visionary leadership etc. with a view to addressing these problems to enable the local government perform optimally.
It is also good that research should be carried out on the following topics:
- The impact of community disputes as in rural development.
- Community efforts and rural development.
- Town union and rural development.
This will help bring development to the people at the grass roots.
The research was carried out on the role of local government in rural development with a study of Ideato North Local Government Area.
From the analysis, the following conclusions were drawn:
- The local government is created as an institution of to bring about development at the grass root level and to the rural populace.
- There are various impediments that are making it difficult for the local government to actualize this objective of rural development. These includes: lack of visionary leadership, poor management of funds, lack of adequate funds, state interference.etc.
However, the situation can be improved by controlling the problems facing the local government system.
Local Government And Rural Development (A Case Study Of Ideato North Local Government Area).
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | +234-8143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- Local Government And Rural Development (A Case Study Of Ideato North Local Government Area).
The complete material will be sent to your email address after receiving your payment information | T & C Apply
You may also like:
This research material “Local Government And Rural Development (A Case Study Of Ideato North Local Government Area).” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “Local Government And Rural Development (A Case Study Of Ideato North Local Government Area).” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.