Fraud Detection And Prevention In Banks
Fraud in this study is shown as any dishonesty acts intended to deceive and deprive someone of his legitimate possession.
This study was aimed at finding out how fraud could be detected and prevented in the Nigerian banking industries.
The major findings in this study include the followings:
- Frauds in banks very often
- Frauds in banks occur with active connivance of internal bank staff.
- Frauds in banks include forgeries of signature of customers, illegal granting of loans and advances and illegal foreign exchange transactions etc.
- The major fraud prevention and protection measure adopted by banks were provision of operational manual establishment of inspectorate unit, internal audit units use external auditors, segregation of duties and establishment of good internal checks and control system.
- Majority of bank workers believes as follows. The punishments noted to fraudsters are grossly inadequate. The antifraud law in Nigeria is highly inadequate and that those responsible for checking frauds in Nigerian banks were not living up to expectations.
The major finds in this study includes among others.
- The establishment of a good salary structures and condition of services.
- A change in our value system that will de-emphasize money.
- The law enforcement agents must be move properly educated about procedures, instrument and practices.
- Installation of good hiring and training policies and procedures that can go a long way to help reduce the incidence of fraud.
- Adequate punishment for fraudsters that could serve as a good deterrent to frauds in banking.
1.1 Background Of Study
Banking system of any country holds the key for the success or otherwise of the economy of that country. There is no doubt about the axiom that the frauds in such key area of the economy as banks is going to be a matter of concern to bankers, the monetary / political authorities and the generality of a country and population.
In Nigeria today, frauds in all sectors of the economy and more specifically in banks has acquired sophistication by day. The sizes increase in geometric progression. All people in all sectors of economy and involved, respectable members of churches, mosques, political leaders. It cuts across the generality of the community.
The resultant effect is more damaging leading to wholesome losses on banks and progressively eroding into the public confidence on these banks.
Damaging losses upon losses to banks through organize frauds has been reported. For instance, in 1990, the Nigerian deposit insurance company in its report on banks lost a staggering sum of N840 million through fraud and sacked a total of 417 staff because of fraud perpetration.
It is no gain saying the fact that no fraud will success without the active connivance of the bank staff with customers of doubtful integrity. What is required is a system and action plan that will ensure earthly detection. However, one has to say that prevention is better than cure in medicine. It is better to stop a disease from coming at all. Whatever plans for fraud control in banks must embody fraud prevention technique.
In this paper we will search for early fraud detection and control in Nigerian banks. We will also recommend at the end of this paper an action plan that will, if well employed, help reduce the incidence of frauds in Nigeria banks.
First bank of Nigeria Plc is chosen for this study, because it is one of the oldest banks in Nigeria with a work force of over (6,566) and (328) branches through out Nigeria. The head officer of the banks if in Lagos. The bank was founded by Sir Alfred Jones in 1894 at Liverpool. The second branch of the bank in Nigeria was in the old Calabar in 1900.
1.2 Statement Of Problems
Nearly all banks in Nigeria including the Apex banks, the Central bank of Nigeria, seem to be under siege by men of under world, on most occasions, with the connivance of bank staff. Banks in Nigeria cost a whipping sum of N840 million in 1992 and a total of 417 staff due to fraud.
In this syndrome one if likely going to witness more of this frauds and loses in the banks.
1.3 Objective Of Study
This study is aimed at achieving the following objective:
- Identify the various forms of frauds perpetrated in Nigeria’s financial institution. Seek out more preventive measures for use by Nigeria banks fighting frauds.
- Identify methods available for early detection and prevention of frauds in the banking system.
- Identify the key actors in fraud detection and prevention in the banking industry.
- Identify the role of managers in the detection and prevention of fraud in the banks.
1.4 Research Questions And Hypothesis
This present study will answer the following problem questions:
- What are the various forms of fraud in Nigeria banks?
- How has banks in Nigeria been affected by frauds in its operations?
- What is the most effective prevention measures available for Nigerian banks for use in fighting fraud in its operations?
- What are the most effective ways of detecting fraud in the Nigeria financial system?
- What holds responsibility for detection and prevention of fraud in Nigeria banking system?
- What are the role of bank manager in the prevention and detection of frauds in banks?
- How does the bank in Nigeria handle cases of frauds in heir banks?
The hypothesis here is that in most bank frauds in Nigeria, occurs with the active connivance of bank staff. Most banks workers believe that bank frauds occur because those responsible for preventing it fail to live up to expectations.
1.5 Scope Of Study
The research study concentrated of finding out the most effective ways of fraud detection and prevention as it affects the banking industry with special emphasis as it obtained in First Bank of Nigeria Plc.
1.6 Significance Of Study
This study will be of high signification especially for new banks. This study investigated comprehensively all about frauds in the banking industry. It ranges from detection and preventions. Information gathered from the study, will be documented.
A document containing information for new banks at least in their attempt to fight corruption, and frauds in their young fitters. Such document will also be useful for the older banks as fraud detection and prevention techniques will be very useful for banks (old and new) at least in the formulation and implementation of fraud control policies.
Some of this findings and recommendation at the end of the study will be of great use to the banks and open up more area for further research.
Complete Material For Fraud Detection And Prevention In Banks
The Complete Material will be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make a Mobile Transfer or POS Payment of ₦3,000 to any of the Account Below
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
|Account No.: 1225513212|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- Fraud Detection And Prevention In Banks
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To Your Email Address After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply
This research material “Fraud Detection And Prevention In Banks” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “Fraud Detection And Prevention In Banks” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.