The Role Of Local Government In The Provision Of Health Care Services (A Case Of Dunukofia Local Govt. Area Of Anambra State)
The role of local government in the provision of health care services has become a topical issue amongst contemporary workers. It is the intention of the paper to contribute to knowledge by conducting a research into areas where previous research work has stopped in this field of study. Since the increasing complexity of the nature of our society implies certain degree of unhealthy living and diseases affecting old and young, rich and poor.
It is patient for this study to investigate and report the problems of unqualified personnel, inadequate programmes and projects, ineffective communication system and lack of funds to carry out the duties of meeting the health needs of the masses.
Table Of Contents
- Title page
- Table of contents
- 1.1 Background of the study
- 1.2 Statement of problem
- 1.3 Objective of the study
- 1.4 Research questions
- 1.5 Significance of study
- 1.6 Scope of the study
- 1.7 Limitation of the study
- 1.8 Definition of terms
2.0 Literature Review
- 2.1 Introduction
- 2.2 Local Government Administration
- 2.3 Objectives of Local Government
- 2.4 Power and functions of Local Government
- 2.5 Administrative structure of Local Government
- 2.6 Committees of Local Government Council
- 2.7 Community development
- 2.8 Approaches to Community healthcare development
- 2.9 References
3.0 Research Design and Methodology
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Research design
- 3.3 Sources / method of data collection
- 3.4 Population and sample size
- 3.5 Sample technique
- 3.6 Validity and reliability of measuring instrument
- 3.7 Method of data analysis
4.0 Data Presentation and Analysis of Data
- 4.1 Introduction
- 4.2 Presentation of data
- 4.3 Interpretation of data
5.0 Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
- 5.1 Introduction
- 5.2 Summary of findings
- 5.3 Conclusion
- 5.4 Recommendations
Local government is an organ of the state put into the peddle the development activities of a particular place or district, with a view to making the impact of governance be it political or military being felt at the grass root level. It is seen as the “management of community affairs by the people of a locality.
In the worlds of Ogunna 1996, local government is form of devolution of the political powers of the state. It is seen as the political authority purposely created by law or constitution to manage local public affairs within the rural communities
According to Oyediran, et al 2001” it is local government in which popular participation both in the choice of decision maker and in decision making process is conducted by local bodies which while recognizing the supremacy of the central government is able and willing to accept the responsibilities for it decision .
The guidelines of the local government reform in 1976 defined local government as government at local level exercise through representatives established by law to exercise specific power within the defined area.
1.1 Background Of The Study
In this chapter intended to examine the role of local government in the provision of Dunukofia local government area of Anambra state the following health care service have been provided by the local government to improve the rural dwellers standard of living, these include immunization of little children against polio, building of maternity home, provision dispensation and clinic. All these helped to the increase in the living standard of the community.
According to Ogunna (1996) and (1976) reform clearly mapped out the function of local government.
The category of function included health services such as health centers maternity centers and ambulance service. The federal government in an attempt to guarantee these functions for the construction of 1973 in the fourth schedule.
The expected ways of providing health care service by waste disposal creating awareness to appreciate the new to immunization themselves and their babies against killer diseases through the expanded programme on immunization (NPI) establishment of health centers in the rural communities employing quantified staff to manage the health centers. Their populate have always been neglected in this regards. The local authorities should rake aided step to retrace the situation.
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
The extent of the role of local government in the provision of health care service is predominantly determined the type of the programme being embarked upon the administration in the local government.
- Poor co-ordination: This is one of the problems confronting the provision of health care service in local government. There is know umbrella organization that co-ordinate the activities of health care services.
- Another problem confronting the provision of health care services in the communities is inadequate of fund, the inability of government to make funds available cripples the activities of health care services.
- This is also lack of comprehensive policy framework of health care services in the communities. This is supposed of article ways by which various manifestations of health care services can be effectively and efficiently tackled, so as to ensure sustained growth and development in the country.
- Inadequate provision of social services to the populace also as a result of improper training of health care personnel.
- Lack of cordial relationship between health care workers and local peace.
1.3 Objectives Of The Study
The objective of this study thus:
- To improve technical knowledge and skill of staff for a specialized functions
- To emphasize on the way to achieving effective and efficiency in the health care service as to improve personnel qualification in the health care service.
- To identify the problem facing Dunukofia local government in the vision of health care service especially when failed to adopt proper training of their workers.
1.4 Research Questions
In carrying out this research work, it is important and imperative to answer some question about local government impact or role in the communities the questions include:-
- Local government being a tier of government responsible for local needs, do they trained personnel that can properly administer this services?
- What are the roles of local government in making sure that vacancies are properly administer to the people?
- What efforts have been put in a pace to make sure that the people make themselves available to be trained?
- In what way can local government make great impact of health care service to the rural dwellers?
1.5 Significance Of The Study
This study is particularly important and it is believed it will create all the necessary awareness on the issue of health care service and then help health care supervisor in effective decision making. When the populace in well provided for goods and service to the nation.
- Through the study more light will be thrown in order to make the meaning of health care service center neglected.
- It will help workers to work out more effective and efficient ways of letting the public know their health problems and formulating and executing programmes that will help them solve health problem.
1.6 Scope Of The Study
This research is actually to ascertain in the role of local government in the provision of health care service.
Thus, the research selected Dunukofia local government area of Anambra state as where we could conveniently covered.
1.7 Limitation Of The Study
It is not really easy to complete such a research work without encountering some difficulties.
Regarding these difficulties, the ability to get hold of needed materials as well as official document is not made in public because of a closed system of information in Nigeria.
Therefore this research work is seriously limited to a few available materials.
Money is also some problem some times I will not have enough money to transport myself to all the areas in Dunukofia district.
Bad Road Network:
This is one of the factors that were encountered in the course of this study, some of the areas were not accessible due to bad roads linking one village and the other.
Is one of the problems and limitations that have prevented us from making extensive research for facts because the time given for this work has been too short considering the detailed and challenging nature of the work, but irrespective of the above limitations this research work has been completed with the materials available within the limited time.
1.8 Definition Of Terms
Some of the words used by the research in the study have been defined to enhance easy understanding of the research work such words includes:
To make somebody free from disease.
Advice or order the use of drugs by a physician
A person qualified to practice both medicine and surgery
The common people, the general public, the masses
Extent of legal authority to administer rights
Being negligent, initiating not strict or sever.
Any member of state except the supreme ruler.
Condition or state of ones body environment or the mind.
5.0 Summary, Conclusion And Recommendation
In this project, the researcher sought to investigate the effectiveness in the provision of health care service in Dunukofia local government area in Anambra state, especially in the areas of immunization, family planning, vaccine, environmental sanitation, provision of portable water supply, recruiting and training of health personnel, health education and other services. The researcher also has explained the necessary information needed for the development of health care service and the problems encountered while delivering of health care service.
5.2 Summary Of Findings
In the course of carrying out this research, following observation was made:
- Adequate training is one of the strategies existing in Dunukofia local government in the provision of health care services, because people in local government need adequate treatment.
- Health education: The researcher find out how important and effective it is to educate the local dweller because health education is concerned with teaching the principle of health living and also the method of preventing medicine and its body of knowledge drawn from the science of medicine, Psychology and sociology.
Hence, life is very important and it has no duplicate, government should introduce enough public enlightenment programmes to create awareness on the issue of health care programmes to impact knowledge on individual and the personnel in the local government.
This research work has carried out to consider the project and programmes embarked upon the local government in the provision of health care service and to determine the success rate of their family planning programme due to increased professional participation.
Research was carried out at Dunukofia local government area in Anambra state in order to efficiently ascertain the extent of the role of local government in the provision of health care services. The research considered the following salient areas:
- Family planning programme
- Employment of qualities health personnel
- Health programmes and project
A careful analysis of data prompts the following conclusion on the provision of health care services by the local government. The family planning programmes has recorded or remarkably increase in its success rate over the year, the number of patients that registered for the programme has continued to increase.
The local government has also taken added step in this regard by employing more qualified personnel who administer treatments to the patients. This as a result has made the masses to have more confidence in the ability of the health personnel to seek for their problems.
From the data contained in the tables analyzed in the previous findings from these data, the following recommendations were made:
- Local government should build facilities for the training programmes of the health care workers.
- Local government should build a health care service in the rural areas so as to help them know the needs of health care services.
- Local government should make provision of employment so as to employ good qualities of personnels in our health care service.
The Role Of Local Government In The Provision Of Health Care Services (A Case Of Dunukofia Local Govt. Area Of Anambra State)
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | +234-8143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- The Role Of Local Government In The Provision Of Health Care Services (A Case Of Dunukofia Local Govt. Area Of Anambra State)
You may also like:
This research material “The Role Of Local Government In The Provision Of Health Care Services (A Case Of Dunukofia Local Govt. Area Of Anambra State)” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “The Role Of Local Government In The Provision Of Health Care Services (A Case Of Dunukofia Local Govt. Area Of Anambra State)” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.