The Impact Of Women In Growth And Rural Development In Anambra State (A Case Of Idemili South Local Government Area)
The aim of this research is to examine if actually rural women association make any impact in development of the communities in Idemili-south local government area. People always have the feeling that women will not make positive impact hence women are delegated to the background with records of their contributions to development following from my study using Idemili south rural area as a case study.
It was noted that women were not incorporated in the development agenda because of gender inequality e.g. women are not allow to contribute their opinion in the society. The researcher opined that women should be given opportunity to discharge their potentials and skills in the development agenda, because the chairman of Idemili-South local government area was headed by Dr. Mrs. Evlyne Opara and so many others who have contributed immensely to the National Development of the Economy of Nigeria. The work suggested that the government should acknowledge women association since they can sacrifice even their last resort towards development of the country.
Table Of Content
- Title page
- Approval page
- Table of content
- 1.1. Background of study
- 1.2. Statement of the problem
- 1.3 objective of the study
- 1.4 research questions
- 1.5. Significance of the study
- 1.6. Scope of the study
- 1.7 limitation of the study
- 1.8. Definitions of terms
2.0. Literature Review
- 2.1. Introduction
- 2.2. History of community development
- 2.3. The role and the type of women organization
- 2.4. Importance of women in economy
- 2.5. The role of women in rural Development
- 2.6 Women’s contribution in the financial aspect of community development
- 2.7. Rural women and their initiation into organization
- 2.8. Problems encountered by women in rural development
3.0. Research Design and Methodology
- 3.1. Introduction
- 3.2. Research design
- 3.3. sources/method of data collection
- 3.4. Population and sample size
- 3.5. Sampling technique
- 3.6. Validity / reliability of measuring instrument
- 3.7. Method of data analysis
4.0. Data Presentation
- 4.1. Introduction
- 4.2. Presentation of data
- 4.3. Analysis of data
- 4.4. Interpretation of result
5.0. Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
- 5.1. Introduction
- 5.2. Summary of findings
- 5.3. Recommendation
- 5.4. Conclusion
1.1. Background Of The Study
According to Lele, (1975.10) rural development is the improvement of the living standard of the people of low income population residing in rural areas and making the process of their development self-sustaining. The above definition of rural development point to common fact that has to do with improving the quality of life of rural people.
It is the process of empowering the rural people by harnessing and mobilized their human and material resources. Diejemoah, (1993:2) sees it as a process of increasing not only the level of per-capital in the rural population, but also their standard of living depending on such factors as food and nutrition, health education, housing recreation and security. This is for the purpose of transforming their environment for better and proving their socio/economic needs ranging from employment, qualitative health care, improved nutrition, Adequate and comfortable accommodation, good quality education and security.
Moreso, as Onyiruka, (1989:2) would opine, it is changes in the social and economic structures, institutions, relationship and processes in the context of rural population.
Again Mabogunje (1980:5) state that it is a broadened reorganization and mobilization of rural masses so as to enhance the changes consequent upon this. And it also necessitates the changes consequent upon people in the political decision making process.
According to Eze, (1997:3) The role of women in rural development is to bring upwards growth rate of positive improvement or transportation in the life pattern of inhabitants and production environment women brings introduction of necessary plan strategies and modern facilities to achieve the tastes in rural communities transformation process.
They aim at increasing production and raise productivity among members of the community. It is based on the premise that improvement in productivity enhances food supplies and nutrition of rural inhabitants as well as their overall contribution to national economy.
The role of women in national development cannot be overemphasized, they played vital role in the area of health, education, planned settlement, employment opportunities, elimination of poverty effective communication facilities and infrastructural development. Since it is necessary to take a particular community or area as a case study of the research, we consider it wise to briefly discuss the history of Idemili south local government which served as a case of this research work.
Idemili-south is found in Anambra state. It is a rural area which is made up of six communities, Akwukwu, Alor, Awka-ekiti, Ojoto, Nnobi and Nnokwa. As a rural area, the people depend much on traditional practices in pursuit of their well being because of its traditional out look, women in the community contributed towards the development of the community as well related to house hold or to complete with men folk, although women in community do organize meeting or operates as a thrift society. However, the introduction of the better life programme for rural women 1987 making a turning point in the history of Idemili south as it afforded the women and ample opportunity to make their mark in the development process.
1.2. Statement Of Problem
For the past decades women have been considered as inferior or weaker sex to men. This renders them into psychological trauma of not working up to their status. Bit currently it is evidence that what man can do women can also do it better. However this project work shall be addressing the following problems.
The Role Of Women Association Has Been Under Played By Their Men Folk.
This did not make the women to withdraw their contribution to the development of Idemili south.
High Level Of Illiteracy Among The Women Folk.
The women especially some of the leaders are not literate enough to handle the women association.
Financial Mismanagement By The Leaders.
The leaders of the women association mismanage the available financial resources by making it insufficient for the project
Weak Financial Base:
Rural women suffer from inadequate financial resources because majority of these women are fully house wives, petty traders, who may be willing to contribute but have poor source of finance.
Problem Of Corruption:
The leaders of the women suffer from corruption. They often divert public funds into their private bank account.
The men often discrimination against the women, thereby calling them weaker sex, which compounds problems to them.
1.3. Objectives Of The Study
There is always a motivating factor in every research. The aim of the research is as follows.
- To serve as an inspiration to the association in the community towards development.
- To give advice with respect to areas of conflict to sabotage progress.
- To highlight the importance of rural women in this air present age with regards to socio-economic and political change.
- To quit the wrong notion that women are weaker vessels and that their role as women ends in them.
- To be useful in proper evaluation of women organization and enhances proper utilization in the process change.
1.4. Research Questions
- What are the problems militating against the proper development of Idemili south communities?
- What is the level of government interference in the activities of women in Idemili south local government area?
- What source of income do women organization in Idemili south local government area have in developing area?
- How many development projects have the women executed in your community?
- What are the importance of rural women in this our present age?
- The notion that women are weaker vessels and it have any effect on developing of the community?
- Did women in Idemili south noted for only food production in present area?
- Are women so relevant in the development of rural area, especially in idemili-south local government
1.5. Significance Of The Study
- The significance of this study lies in the fact that it will help a lot people to appreciate the role of women in rural development?
- It will help our youth, the general public and sprinted individuals to gain more knowledge.
- It serves as aground work for other researchers who may wish to make some inquiry into the roles of women in rural development.
- It can serve as an instrument to mobilize other women in other area as to come together and embark on self help project.
- It will help young girls to know type of organization they can identify within Idemili south rural area.
- The study can be of assistance to research institutions who wish to carryout research on activities and contributions of women groups to the society.
1.6. Scope Of The Study
The scope of the study is the impact of women in growth and rural development in Anambra state.A case study of Idemili-south local government Area.it is made up of six communities and is assumed that 50 persons are selected from each community.
1.7. Limitation Of The Study
The researcher encountered the following problems:
- financial constraints
- time factor
- getting relevant literature materials
- problems of getting validated research instrument
- secrecy in realizing the idea.
1.8. Definition Of Terms
For clarity and effective understanding of the research presentation, the researcher defines some basic concept in his research.
Women can be defined as female human beings
Rural area is a part of a society that are still primitive stage, it is relatively more natural than artificial.
Rural development is used to demote the actions and initiatives taken to improve standard of living in non-urban neighborhoods, country side and remote villages.
growth is an increase in the size, amount or degree of something
Development is multi-dimensional process. It means change, growth, socialization, transformation and improving the standard of living
This is the breaking of personal limitation and it is the process by which women achieve increased in control over public decision making. Again, is human right that (i.e. at the improvement of self decision regarding to education, participation, mobility, economic independence, public speaking awareness and exercise of right, political participation and many more factors.
5.0 SUMMARY, CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATIONS
This chapter concentrates on summary of the findings. The presentation should reflect all the chapters in the work again, the researcher should draw conclusion based on inferences made from the findings and she also made some recommendations which will center how to solve the social problems.
5.2. Summary Of Findings
This research was undertaken with a view to find out the impact of women in growth and rural development. The study of this research work show a clear picture that rural women in their role contributed to almost every field of development for example they were able to build development project in the whole six communities effective communication facilities especially in the area of health, education, employment opportunities, effective communication facilities, infrastructural development and elimination of poverty again, one discovers that the women in their groups can sacrifice ever there last resort, they can tax and levy themselves towards the development of their communities.
More so, there will be a time that the achievement of women shall be heard than that of men. Medsick et al (1995.2) wrote on women and achievement, social and motivational analysis. It is noted that women are as concerned household in a nutshell, it will be of benefit to communities, state and nation, as well if the leaders acknowledge rural women association role along the road development.
It is quite interesting that women groups in the rural communities of Idemili south who have been useful only in households of family affairs have now started to become vital instrument of both scientific, technological and educational change. A cusor study of this research reveals that rural woman group in their roles contribute to almost every field of development for example, educationally they showed such interest in secondary project in idemili south, they never rest until the health centre was built and officially commissioned. They took it themselves to establish borehole in the six communities. We wish to add that we will not see Nigeria in there groups sitting down on the fence and watch the political situation of our country. Rather in the present dispensation, we would love to have more women political office holders like governors, senators and organizational body within various communities in Nigeria as in idemili south are phased out.
Based on the findings of the study, the following recommendations were made for effective role and involvement of the role of women in national and community development in rural area. Since community development is greatly concerned with economic, social and cultural aspects of the community.
- Efforts should be made by suing the service of enlightened women and their followers in the community to stimulate the interest of the community in their needs, there is need for public enlightenment among the women.
- Care should be taken to ensure effective participation of all sections of the community, in other to maintain social equilibrium and the required high morals.
- It is also clear from this study that women need financial, assistance however, the financial support need to be accompanied by training in technical organizational and adult literacy.
- The identification and building of organization scale capacity should be suitable to mediate between state and community levels.
Finally, for a successful community development is supposed to attained the felt need of the rural people. Education and training, health services rural electrification and road construction should be planned and implemented each in isolation and without consideration of the implications development programme in one area might have for the other
The Impact Of Women In Growth And Rural Development In Anambra State (A Case Of Idemili South Local Government Area)
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | +234-8143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- The Impact Of Women In Growth And Rural Development In Anambra State (A Case Of Idemili South Local Government Area)
The complete material will be sent to your email address after receiving your payment information | T & C Apply
You may also like:
This research material “The Impact Of Women In Growth And Rural Development In Anambra State (A Case Of Idemili South Local Government Area)” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “The Impact Of Women In Growth And Rural Development In Anambra State (A Case Of Idemili South Local Government Area)” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.