The Impact Of Collection Development Policy In Library Collection In An Academic Libraries (A Case Study Of Federal Polytechnic Nekede In Owerri, Imo State)
This research work has been carried out to determine the fate of librarian with regard to increase in technological advancement. The instrument used in gathering data for this study are: the questionnaire, oral interview and observation.
The scope of the study covered are Federal Polytechnic Nekede in Owerri, Imo state. Namely: FPNO. The data were collected from sample librarian in the above mentioned institution and were collected from sample librarian in the above mention institution and were analysed using percentage. From the result of the analysis, it was discovered that all this technological advancement has helped to improve the activities of librarian in the offices thereby increasing their productivity as well as enhancing their job security.
However, for the summary and findings, it was recommended that librarian need to go on training so as to enable them to handle their training process still continues, if there is any introduction of new machining in future. More so, librarian should not be afraid of these new machines, they should not feel that they will be displaced, rather they should accept it and see it as a helpful tool that helps in making their jobs accurate and first.
Table Of Contents
- Title Page
- Approval Page
- Table of Contents
- 1.1 Background of the Study
- 1.2 Statement of the Problem
- 1.3 Purpose of the Study
- 1.4 Significance of Study
- 1.5 Scope of the Study
- 1.6 Research Question
- 1.7 Definition of Terms
2.0 Review of Related Literature
- 2.1 The Original of Library profession
- 2.2 Technological Advancement and Manpower Development
- 2.3 Abuse of Library profession
- 2.4 The Collection development policy programme Practice in Modern Office
- 2.5 Recent Development in Electric Document
- 2.6 The Collection development policy programe Practice and the Telephone
- 2.7 The Effects of the Word Processor and Electric Document in the Work of a Collection development policy programme as an enhancing tool
- 2.8 Structure of Technological Changes and The Library and Information science Roles
- 2.9 The Effects of Technological Development on Librarian 33 (See Inside The Contents)
3.0 Research Methodology
- 3.1 Area of Study
- 3.2 Population
- 3.3 Sample and Sampling Techniques
- 3.4 Instruments Used for Data Collection
- 3.5 Description of Instruments Used
- 3.6 Validation of the Instruments
- 3.7 Method of Data Analysis
4.0 Presentation of Data and Analysis
- 5.1 Discussion of Findings
- 5.2 Conclusions
- 5.3 Recommendations
Library collection development policy is the process of meeting the information needs of the people (a service population) in a timely and economical manner using information resources locally held, as well as from other organizations.
Collections are developed by librarians and library staff by buying or otherwise acquiring materials over a period, based on assessment of the information needs of the library’s users. In addition to ongoing materials acquisition, library collection development includes:
- The creation of policies to guide material selection
- Replacement of worn or lost materials
- Removal (weeding) of materials no longer needed in the collection
- Planning for new collections or collection areas
- Cooperative decision-making with other libraries or within library consortia
1.1 Background Of The Study
In the public and private sectors of the Nigerian exchange, securities are usually very helpful to the management in accomplishment of organisational goals. With the advent of technical, knowledge there has been an increase in demand in our modern establishments for sophisticated and modern technologies in Nigeria organisation.
In the light of the above situation, this research work is aimed at identifying the IMPACT of Technological Development on librarian in academic libraries. There are various categories of librarian, which includes: the executive librarian, the company librarian, confidential librarian, parliamentary librarian and others.
Each of them in charged with well-articulated and defined functions and roles, which are expatiated of them. This study concentrates on the role of the executive Collection development programe as an enhancing toold, employment by a company who is attached to an officer who is of the executive cadre.
A Collection development programe as an enhancing tool may be viewed as a person who has acquired the basic knowledge of library and Information science skill of shorthand, typewriting and sufficient knowledge and practical experience in office routine. Depending on the objectives of the organisations, a collection development programe meant all things to all people. However, there are some basis functions which librarian perform and these forms the basis of their identify in an organisation. These functions are:
- Initiating relevant correspondent on all routine, matters and drafting letters as authorized.
- Collecting relevant information from relevant sources for office use.
- Dealing with visitors and telephone callers on issues which the Collection development programe as an enhancing tool is knowledgeable.
- Follow up the diary of her boss daily.
- Preparing the boss for meetings and other entertainment etc.
In spite of this very important functions which the library department perform, the Collection development programe as an enhancing tool still needs the modern officer technology to carry out his/duties efficiently.
Prior to the technological development in offices, clerical works were done manually, the size of offices were small and little work were done manually. Then there were thing like modern equipment like document, telephone, photocopying machines, address machines etc.
Though modern technology assists, yet librarian are afraid of being displaced by them. Because of some of the manual equipments used by librarian are being supervised by automated machines and process. It is not easy for technologies to replace librarian in the offices because the place of a Collection development programe as an enhancing tool is very significant. This is because any technology applied will be operated by a trained Collection development programe as an enhancing tool if efficiency and effectiveness, must be maintained.
There are also human attributes that the Collection development programe as an enhancing tool posses that modern technology cannot offer. Adequately trained, reasonably motivated and royal librarian aid the executive in performance of duties will be needed to complement the modern technological innovations in the offices.
Brief History of Federal Polytechnic Nekede, Owerri.
The Federal Polytechnic Nekede, Owerri was established by Edict No. 16 of 1978 it opened for classes on 15th December, 1978 at a temporary site in the premises of the government trade centre along Egbu road, Owerri with initial of 275 students.
In 1980, the College of Education as was it name then was moved to it permanent site in Nekede Owerri. The name of the College was later changed to Polytechnic Nekede, Owerri.
In 1987 by the Edict No. 6 of 1987 it was further renamed Federal Polytechnic Nekede Owerri by the Federal Amendment of Decree 1993 of 1st January, 1993. It motto: Knowledge and skill for service which has been demonstrated by the quality of graduates and professional that the school has produced over they years.
The Polytechnic offers full and part time National Diploma (ND), Higher National Diploma (HND) and certificate programme their website is www.nekedepolyportal.com.
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
Because of the increasing demand for the use of automated process in our organisation in Nigeria, technology has been introduced to perform most of the jobs in the organisation, more especially the duties of a Collection development programe as an enhancing tool in an office. In some organisations, the management considers it fit to employ computer operator, programme managers and technologist instead of providing adequate training and education for their librarian to handle such computers. As a result of this, librarian have been regarded as mere typist who cannot handle these machines, nor who do not have capacity of leaver and caravel new skills.
The problem of this study is that many librarian have been displaced in the office while many others have been hindered from security a good job by introduction of technological development in the case of library profession . In the light of all these, this research work aims at encouraging librarian to put aside this fears and anxieties of being replaced by technological advancement in the office or getting people that will effectively use such machines without involving the librarian. The researcher tens to tackle this problem by investigating the place of librarian in a technological advanced organisations like Institution such as: FPNO Nig. Plc, and FPNO of Nig. all in Owerri, Imo state.
1.3 Purpose Of The Study
The general objectives of this study is to evaluate the place of a Collection development programe as an enhancing tool in technological advanced economy. The specific objectives include:
- To examine the kind of modern technology that exist in the organisation.
- To find out if modern technology pose any threat to the collection development programes practice.
- To find out if librarian will adequately fit in the modern technological office environment, when they are sufficiently trained.
- To examine if technological advancement can generate job opportunities or unemployment for librarian.
- To study how technological advancement in office can facilities or mar the job of librarian.
- To appraise the changes which technological advancement can cause in the duties of librarian.
- To recommend measures for blending the job of the Collection development programe as an enhancing tool and sophisticated modern equipment in achieving high productivity in offices.
1.4 Significance Of The Study
When this study has been concluded, an elaborate examination of the role of a Collection development programe as an enhancing tool in an organisation must have been done. Some organizations are not aware of these modern office technologies. This types of organisations will benefit from this research, because after getting through this work, they will be well exposed about the various equipments, that they could use to carry their duties effectively. There are other organisations who knows or aware of the existence of this modern office equipment, but are not informed about their applications, there organisations will equally benefit.
What about organisations that are privileged to access to those equipments? They will be at an advantage in that, they will be better placed to know the different roles which librarian can play and their ability to operate complex and automated machine. This research will also be useful in institutions of higher learning that offers library and Information science studies. Hence after reading this research work, they will be able to redraw their circular and syllabus to accommodate subjects that are computer oriented.
1.5 Scope Of The Study
The primary aim of this study is to examine negative implication of technology oriented business environment on the modern librarian. However, because of some constraining factor such as lack of co-operation from information administrators, sources finance and poor transportation system, the research decided to limit the scope only to institution in Imo state, such as FPNO which represents a sample of the population of Nigeria enterprises.
1.6 Research Questions
Some research questions has been designed to guide the research work in achieving its focal points. They includes:
- What kind of modern technology exists in organisations in Nigeria?
- Is modern technology a threat to security Collection development programe as an enhancing tool?
- Will adequately trained librarian be employed to improve unemployment prospects for librarian?
- Can technological advancement generate employment or unemployment prospect for library department?
1.7 Definition Of Terms
Collection development programe as an enhancing tool:
A skill practitioner of the basic office who is employed as an administrative assistance to a superior officer.
This is a complex modern labour and cost cutting equipment that are now increasingly utilized in organisations.
It refers to the process by which an idea is translated into written communication. It also record typed works, diagrams etc and displays them on screen, where they can be corrected or changed and then automatically printed.
It means fact or information.
This is a keyed writing machine
It is an electronic device used for storing, analysing information failed into it, it is also used for calculating.
It is a cycle which involves the creation, utilization, storage, retrieval and disposition of collection.
5.1 Discussion Of Findings
Analyzing the data collected to answer the research questions geared at finding solutions to the impact of technological development on the Collection development in academic libraries.
The analysis of the data revealed the following:
In table two of chapter four, 20 respondents from the there Federal Polytechnic Nekede said, that if they are being properly trained, that they can handle this machine well allowing that training is needed for librarian to learn how to handle this equipment effectively and efficiently.
Table three has it that some workers still feel that the computer as a new machine has displaced workers. Because out of the twenty respondents, five said, that it has displaced workers while fifteen said no, that it has not displaced workers. But it is a shift in base of knowledge.
Also in table four, some library and Information science roles were listed and all the respondents were asked to identify the appropriate ones that we suitable for the Collection development programe as an enhancing tool. In carrying out his or her task. And they all said that the under listed roles are vary important and are appropriate for the library profession .
Through observation, I noticed the Collection development programe as an enhancing tool perform this task effectively.
As shown in table five, all the respondents has it that organisations do not train workers for this new technological development. Meaning that librarian must learn how to use this new machine before being employed.
Fifteen respondents said that, modern technology has pose to threat to librarian. This shows that this new computers or machine is not a dangerous tool but a helpful one for librarian to perform their task accurately and effectively.
In respect to the question asked in task seven, fifteen respondents out of twenty said that this new technological development generate job opportunities for librarian and executive librarian. And table eight has if that it facilitate the job of a Collection development programe as an enhancing tool.
All the respondents in table mine said that workers do not oppose management divisions on the introduction of this new machine.
Table ten has it that typewrites are still useful in some organisations. The three institution where this research work is being carried out said that they still make use of the documents in their organisation. And also, other machines such as the ones listed at able eleven are still very important kin every organisation.
Hence from the oral interview concluded, all respondents from the three institution said that technological development gave job opportunities and created new career awareness. They also agreed that computer is very necessary, quick customer service, and also efficiency is guaranteed.
More so, the bank itself is a business organisation formed solely for service and profit. There is need for various institution to up-date their information and service system to enable them fit into the competitive nature of business banking. Since what matters is customer satisfaction, the introduction of this new machine will go a long way to shorten wastage of customers time and other forms of delay.
This new machine has created job opportunities for those who knows how to handle it effectively. And that is why those who took it as a major course gets job easily.
There is no double that technology enhances productively and increases performance. This is because automation cannot be company to job specialization, the speed is always there. And this fact was confirmed by the three organisations, where this research work was carried.
Finally, this technological advancement creates job opportunities and new careers for librarian.
Having carried out a study on the IMPACT of technological development on the Collection development programe as an enhancing tool in academic libraries, the analysis of data has it that, the Collection development programe as an enhancing tool cannot be displaced by modern office mad rives.
Findings also revealed that, the Collection development programe as an enhancing tools mace in an organisation cannot be taken for granted. If there is no qualified Collection development programe as an enhancing tool in an organisation, activities in that particular organisations, will stand still no matter the type of technology used.
In view if this, the research concludes that:
- No technology can displace or replace the Collection development programe as an enhancing tool entirely in the organisation.
- The existence of modern office technology is made possible by human effort, which is done by either a Collection development programe as an enhancing tool or any other staff specially trained for that.
- The assumption of technological development being a threat to the survival of librarian in today’s world is rejected.
Based on the summarized findings, the researcher offers the following recommendations:
- There should be an introduction of require course automation and computer into library and Information science studies school curriculum.
- The students librarian should have indent knowledge of the utilization of these machines, so that they will not be afraid of being displaced in future, when faced with innovations.
- There should be a change in the attitude of people since librarian have started adapting to the computer revolution.
- Management should not hesitate to introduce this new machine to their workers, knowing full well that they cannot oppose of the decision made by the management.
- Librarian who presently have not know the operational made of this new technological development, should enroll now for lectures, on it. Since their getting a job depends so much on it now.
5.4 Limitation Of The Study
To carrying out a research work, the researcher passed through some problems, which is normal. Because to carry out a research work, difficulties are bound to be encountered. So the problems encountered by the researcher includes;
1. Lack of cooperation from Respondents:
The researcher found it difficult to convince some of the respondents, who refused to respond positively to the questionnaire. Even in the oral interview, some did not give valuable information and few, who were given the questionnaire did not return back to the researcher.
2. Financial Constraints:
There was no sufficient fund transportation to the selected organisations chosen for this research work. Transport fane was high and as such the researcher could not to avel frequently to Owerri for more findings.
3. Death of Textual Materials:
Inadequate materials from the library passed a limitation to the researcher. The researcher has to search for relevant textbooks for this work, but there was not much existing books available for consultation.
4. Limited Time:
The researcher was not given much time to carry out this research work. The little time given was shared between her course work and the researcher work, which put the researcher in constrained position.
How To Get The Complete Material For The Impact Of Collection Development Policy In Library Collection In An Academic Libraries (A Case Study Of Federal Polytechnic Nekede In Owerri, Imo State)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN CLIENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- The Impact Of Collection Development Policy In Library Collection In An Academic Libraries (A Case Study Of Federal Polytechnic Nekede In Owerri, Imo State)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To Your Email Address After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply