Welfare Scheme And Employee Performance In Business Organization (A Case Study Of Rivers State Polytechnic)
This study examines welfare scheme and employee performance in business organization a case study of Rivers State Polytechnic. The target audiences for this research were supervisors and senior managers of these organizations. There were two (2) hypothesis which were tested with Yaro Yemen’s formular. Based on the findings, the first hypothesis Ho, was rejected which state that there are no significant relationship between the welfare scheme and employee performance. In the second hypothesis, Hi was accepted. Hence, the researcher concludes that there are significance relationship between supervisors and the senior management.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Table of Contents
- 1.1 Background of the Study
- 1.2 Statement of the Problem
- 1.3 Objectives of the Study
- 1.4 Research Questions
- 1.5 Significance of the Study
- 1.6 Scope of the Study
- 1.7. Limitations of the Study
- 1.8 Definition of Terms
- 2.2 The Concept of Welfare Scheme
- 2.3 Classification of Welfare Scheme
- 3.2.1 Statutory Scheme
- 2.3.2 Non-Statutory Schemes
- 2.4 Purpose of Welfare Scheme
- 2.5 Concept of Employee Performance
- 2.6 Effect of Welfare Scheme on Employee Performance
- 3.1 Research Design
- 3.2 Sampling Design
- 3.3 Population of the Study
- 3.4 Sampling Size
- 3.5 Source And Method of Data Collection
Data Presentation and Analysis
- 4.1 Data Collection Presentation
- 4.2 Data Analysis
- 4.3 Decision of Findings
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
- 5.1 Summary
- 5.2 Conclusion
- 5.3 Recommendations
In this chapter the issue to welfare scheme and employee performance is addressed by looking at the background of the study purpose and limitation are all part of this chapter.
1.1 Background of the Study
The welfare scheme on employee in an establishment are very important, as the performance of the employee is many dependent on. There are basically two types of welfare scheme. Both types are very vas if vividly considered. But for the purpose of this work and it’s clarity, we shall limit our scope to the effect of good welfare scheme on the performance of the employee.
The influence of such may be sub-consciously subtle but real. This promoted a group industrial psychologist to stress the importance of such welfare schemes as salary or wages, safety training, sanitary facilities, employees privacy, working accommodation, shift work, availability of working equipments, transport facility and other factors or conditions that make up the general conditions of serves otherwise called remuneration. It is therefore the aim of this research work, to find out how welfare scheme, where they improved or unimproved, contribute to employee performance both negatively and positively, talking about wages or salary’s, it is a monthly or yearly recompense or reward in form of money for work done. The higher the value, the better motivated the employee would likely be.
The safety, sanitary condition and privacy of the employee almost go together. When an employee is guaranteed of his safety at work washroom and safe drinking water, he automatically agree to go an extra mile knowing that if anything goes wrong he will be properly taken care of by the employer or the company. Working hours, shift, accommodation, transport and working equipment are other welfare scheme that must not suffer neglect. In a situation where a worker has to put in more than his body can accommodate i.e works averagely more than eight (8) hours in a day, he tends to break down too often hence leaving his bit of work to suffer during the period of his incapacitation, good accommodation and transport helps the employee relax enough to be up and doing during working hours and with the availability of good and adequate working materials, making for an uncompromisable turnover which is the aim of any employee or establishment, it is pertinent for manager to know the desires of their employees for a particular job, know and understand them individually if possible point out that “when good welfare scheme are neglected, obvious unskillfulness, lateness, frustration, sickness, corruption street and dissatisfaction takes over the system or establishment.
On another view, Ezekiel Unmorem (1985) believes that inadequate working condition brings about job dissatisfaction, which in turn leads to frustration from obtaining his valued benefit and incentives. A frustrated worker cannot perform satisfactorily hence dissatisfaction brings about poor performance on even industrial action as the case may be. Since some people want to make life out of work rather than just living work to become such a dominating part of our lives that no matter what satisfaction when we work in good condition. In view of this therefore, there is need to improve the welfare scheme for effective performance.
Generally, the level of performance of workers in every organization depends mainly on how encouraging and palatable, the welfare schemes are. In other words, the acceleration, stagnation or retardation of the performance of the employees in establishment or organization depends on how comfortable the welfare scheme of service are in the establishment. This is why G. Strauss and Saylors C. (1980) in their researcher discovered that a quarrel over welfare scheme between the employees and their superior (the employers) make it difficult for them to work together. This result indirect aggression against management. In form of poor workmanship, sabotage, unruly behaviour and absenteeism and the end point of all is poor work turnover.
Ubeku (1965) also argued that while the social science finding of Europe and American tend to play down on the important of wages and salaries as a motivating factors in the Nigeria context, if has a large motivating element in it.
Unfortunately, all these motivation, theory of behaviour are western oriented and based on this therefore, I intend to take into consideration our unique environment and peculiar behavioural attribute of Nigeria workers and determine what will affect their attitude towards work.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
Managerial responsibilities are quite broad and somehow complex and in most case can be identified or given the needed attention. Primarily amongst these, are the welfare scheme of employees, which could be said to be directly proportional to their performance ans productivity. Though there is a problem in measuring the extent to which workers are motivated because different individuals have different factors that could satisfy them, but put together, in some business organization where benefits such as training for employees, retirement benefits, appraisal and season bonuses, befitting wages, transport and other welfare scheme play a major role in determining the performance of the employee. There are some basic problems which answers will be sought in the course of the research they include
- Performance of employees is affected by poor wages and condition of services.
- Lack of firing benefits such as transport, housing, retirement benefits etc.
- Poor working environment and equipment, lighting safety gadgets also hampers the general out put of employees.
- Lack of further training organized by the management to acquaint the employee with newest innovations in technology reduces their performance.
It is therefore my utmost desire to harness all possible technologies of good management in order to create good welfare scheme as to improved and the overall performance of the employees in the organization.
This study is targeted towards the identification of the basic cause of poor performance of the employee in the organization with regards to welfare scheme and to find a lasting solution to the problem posed by unfavourable welfare scheme in an organization in general.
1.3 Objective of the Study
- Based on the prevailing hardship suffered by most employees especially in industries it is the purpose of the research to outline how welfare scheme of employee could affect their performance, and how they could be improved to create better performance rates and greater productivity.
- To what extend business in Nigeria established conducive welfare scheme for owners performance.
- The factors that affect individual performance and ways to improving poor welfare scheme in the business organization.
- How industries justify the term of employment as regards fringe benefits, salary reviews, health services etc.
- Develop possible alternatives for improvement of welfare scheme general terms.
1.4 Research Questions
- How effective is management performance in your institution?
- How effective is your institution in terms of organizing seminars and training?
- Does the welfare scheme in the institution affect workers performance?
- Is there any relationship between management of the institution with their employees?
1.5 Significance of the Study
In practical sense, the significance of this study is to bring together the various news and facts regards to subject matter against this backdrop, it is anticipated that the study will be of immensely help to different categories of people, both the managers and managers to be also student in various discipline, government, employees in different organization and employers at large. It will also go further to remove the amoloiguity between what motivate workers in work situation. Using rivers state polytechnic as a research case study does not entail that other organization cannot benefit from reading this work. Thus, as the work will benefit rivers state polytechnic largely, there will be a sharp increase in the management awareness on the problem associated with administration of welfare scheme in the organization.
1.6 Scope of the Study
The study primarily examines the welfare scheme and employee performance in business organization, it does not examine the welfare scheme and employee performance in the country. It is hope that this study will serve as an eye opener to efficient administration of welfare scheme in other government owned organization in Nigeria.
1.7. Limitation of the Study
The problems that hindered the effectiveness of this research process includes:
Inadequate fund really hindered the process, fund available to the research was inadequate to carry out through courage on the research.
Insufficient time was devoted to the work due to the fact that this research is purely an academic exercise designed to end within a specified time frame.
Materials needed to carry out this consultation from text and management practitioners made it possible, I believe that these restriction will not in any way affect the result of this research.
1.8 Definition of Terms
These are individual employed in to an organization to work under the supervision or the employer.
These includes the condition necessary for service or work.
This is the ability to work effectively its measurement them involves the method of procedures that provide quantitative index of the extent to which employees demonstrate certain work behaviour. Performance can also be measured by productivity.
This is concerned with the acquisition and maintenance of the human resources in an organization. According to Miner is a process of developing, applying and evaluating policies, procedures, method and programmers relating to an individual in an organization.
This is the fixed amount of money which is paid to workers in their different place of work usually by and of every month.
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
In this study, the focus is no welfare scheme and employee performance. As already stated, the research was based on Rivers State Polytechnic from where the following were observed.
- In Rivers State Polytechnic, shift work is obtainable and this has increased the performance of workers.
- Incentives for employee and fringe benefits are considered motivators and improves performance.
- Some workers are not really satisfied with their salary and would leave if offered something better elsewhere.
- The lack of accessional training programs makes the employees out data in knowledge hence affects their performance in the institution.
In the first chapter of this research, provided information including the introduction, statement of problems, objectives of the study, research questions significance of the study, scope of the study, limitation of the study and definition of terms.
The second chapter comprises of the review of literature, textbook, magazines, journal and newspapers. The overview and classification of welfare scheme were also examined. The result of poor welfare scheme was also not left out.
Chapter three dealt with the methods of research selection and collection of data, and population.
In chapter four, the analysis and presentation of the data was done alongside the testing of hypothesis and findings were also discussed.
Finally, in this chapter five a conclusion of the whole research and recommendation based on the conclusion is to be made.
Some business firm have been unable to achieved their stated objective. This predicament has been of great concern to managers and their necessitated the guest for solution. This research has examined the different ways of improving the welfare scheme of employee so as to have them improve on their performance thereby making room for maximum productivity.
An observation was made through the findings that for efficient performance which leads to maximum productivity, employees have to be adequately motivated and controlled.
A number of factors were identified as being responsible for the performance of employees. After some analysis, various recommendation where made which were expected to result to better performance which followed.
Based on the fact that this research was limited to just one institution, it is my suggestion therefore that future researchers should broaden their scope as to get more general results and do regular research on the topic since motivated factors and welfare scheme are not constant.
- Management should endeavour to describe and assign specific jobs to individuals as to make them perform better.
- They should also realize that what motivates an individual employee might no motivate another. As a result therefore, this fact should be taken into cognizance when taking decisions that affect the employers generally.
- Considering the cost of living, compensation should be made to employees by way of cash, awards, bonuses etc. as this could motivate them promotion could also serve as a compensation, otherwise should be fair and no basis of merit. The lead to satisfaction.
- Workers salaries and wages should be paid promptly with other benefits added such insurance and pension as to motivate and encourage them.
- Management should provide adequate security and safety. Worker desires to feel safe and secure while working in any organization. It gives him/her inner satisfaction and happiness as this improves his performance.
- Finally, among others, maintenance of equipment and repairs is very important for organization that work with machines since mechanization makes work more efficient and effective.
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: Welfare Scheme And Employee Performance In Business Organization (A Case Study Of Rivers State Polytechnic)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply