Trade Unionism And Its Influence On Management Policies Implementation (A Study Of Selected Firms In Onitsha, Anambra State)
This research is carried out in order to determine how trade unionism influence the management policies of selected firms in onitsha. The outstanding objective pf this study were to determine what actually may lead to employers grievance in work situation, to dictate and identify the possible management policies that are commonly influenced by the trade union activities and also determine the effects of trade unionism on the implementation of the policies. Reviews of some related literature that are common with trade unionism and discussed in the chapter two of this work.
The research methodology used and adopted was clearly descriptive, having questionnaire as tools. A total number of 400 workers of the organization were used for the study. Data collection in frequency and percentage forms. Coupled with a sound testing of hypothesis and summary of results were carried out in the chapter four. Finally the summary, conclusion and recommendation and suggestions for further research included in the chapter five of this project work.
Table Of Contents
- Title page
- Approval page
- Table of contents
- 1.1 Background of the study
- 1.2 Statement of the problems
- 1.3 Objectives of the study
- 1.4 Research questions
- 1.5 Research hypothesis
- 1.6 Significance of the study
- 1.7 Scope of the study
- 1.8 Limitation of the study
- 1.9 Definition of terms
- 2.0 Introduction
- 2.1 Conceptual Framework
- 2.1.2 Activities of trade union
- 2.2.1 Theoretical framework
- 2.2.2 Employee grievances
- 2.2.3 Collective bargaining
- 2.2.4 Formulation and implementation of policies
- 2.3 Researchers’ position
3.0 Research Design and Methods Used
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Research design and method used
- 3.3 Sources/Methods of data collection
- 3.4 Population and sample size
- 3.5 Sample techniques
- 3.6 Validity and reliability of measuring instrument
- 3.7 Method of date analysis
4.0 Presentation and Analysis of Data
- 4.1 Introduction
- 4.2 Presentation of data
- 4.3 Analysis of data
- 4.4 Interpretation of data
5.0 Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
- 5.1 Introduction
- 5.2 Summary of findings
- 5.3 Conclusion
- 5.4 Recommendations
1.1 Background Of The Study
According to the trade union decree No 36 section (1) of 1973, trade is defined as any combination of which is to regulate the term and conditions of workers employment.
However, a trade union is permitted to have additional purpose instead than that of regulating the terms and conditions of workers employment. It also utilizes his reasonable resources in some other variable positions or situations as contained in the rule book of the union. A trade union movement existed in Nigeria as early as 1912 with the civil service union as the first that came into existence union like the Nigeria Railways, Nature staff union 1919 and the Nigeria Union of teachers in 1913.
However, as the result of the passage of the trade union ordinance in 1983, other trade union emerged several of the union formed were motivated by their leaders since the leaders seems to be illiterate and ignorance at what actually a union suppose to be.
According to Yusuf (1952:72) the union reason for the formation of the civil service union was merely to match with union formed in Sierra lean and other countries in West Africa, in the supreme position, the main aim for the formation of the union were;
- – To protect the welfare and interest of members
- – To protect the employment position of the members
- – To maintain dignity in labour and
- – To maintain standard working hours with remunerations equal to the output.
Management policies however, are the instrument used by the management of any firm in ensuring that problems facing the organization are solved within an acceptable constraint good policies provide definite and as well allow the members of the organization charge with the responsibilities of operating the organization as a system.
Management policies at the other side of the coin are nothing unless it degenerated into actions or work. Management should thus ensure that the policies formulated are meticulously exercised to also take care of the employee. Implementation requires good and continuous communication up and down the management ladder as will as across. Therefore, for an organization to achieve its desired goal, it must formulate appeal from subordinates to avoid fiction and also identify or contain problems which were not put into cognizance in the previous set policies. That is why employees realized that the only way they can extract maximum benefits from their employer or even mount pressure on him for improvements in this regard is through collective rather than individual actions.
1.2 Statement Of Problem
- Management decision and policies often times conflicts with workers interest.
- Lack of negotiation skills on the side of trade unions over conditions of employment.
- Inefficient leadership of trade unions poses an effects on the management policies.
- Lack of extensive facilities and awareness of union workers.
- Union interest above organizational objectives and goals.
1.3 Objectives Of The Study.
- To determine how management decisions and policies often times conflicts with workers interest.
- To find out why there is lack of negotiation skills on the side of trade unions over conditions of employment.
- To evaluate the effect of inefficient leadership of trade unions in management policies.
- To ascertain the reasons for lack of extensive training facilities and awareness of their workers.
- To find out why union’s interest are above organizational objectives.
1.4 Research Questions
- How does management decisions and policies often times conflict with workers interest?
- Why is there lack of negotiation skills on the side of trade unions over conditions of employment?
- Does ineffective leadership of trade unions have any effect on the management policies?
- What are the reasons for lack of extensive training facilities and awareness of union workers?
- Why are most unions interest above the organizational objectives and goals.
1.5 Research Hypothesis
- Hi: There is lack of negotiation skills on the side of the trade unions over conditions of employment.
Ho: There is no lack of negotiation skills on the side of the trade unions over conditions of employment.
- Hi: Ineffective leadership of trade unions has an effect on the management policies.
Ho: Ineffective leadership of trade unions has no effect on the management policies.
1.6 Significance Of The Study
The result of this study will greatly contribute to the resolution of industrial dispute resulting from the non-rationalization of management policies with the objectives of the employees which they seek expressly or implied through their labour unions.
The findings of this study will greatly help the management of life breweries Plc. Onitsha to adopt and implement their policies in conjunction with the views of the employees of the organization. this will go a long way in going the support and loyalty of the works for the organization towards productivity because it is the same workers who are directly or indirectly involved in such policy formulation that are also those responsible for the implementation of those formulated policies.
Furthermore, this study will also be a great importance and value to student studying business administration and management and as well as those studying personnel management and industrial relations as distinct course, hence it will enable them to be acquainted to courses like sociology, policies etc. in a work situation.
1.7 Scope Of The Study
The scope of this study will be very if its to be carried out in all the manufacturing organization in the country, this reason, the study therefore, covers only life breweries Plc Onitsha because of time constraints, finance, human and material cost.
In life breweries too, attention is paid to production, administration, finance and marketing department. This does not mean that other sections like engineering, transport etc were not included during the study.
1.8 Limitation Of The Study
Dues to the present economic stagnation in the country, the researcher was constrained in the course of carrying out the study. These factors are;
Finance are the major factors that limit the scope of the study more especially fund to transport to the breweries and also to design enough questionnaire for respondents.
The researcher was failed with time shortage including much loaded activities in short semester like assignments, sports etc.
Nonchalant Attitude Of Management Staff:
The researcher was made to go to different offices in search of information that could have been provided by one office. Due to the above process, information was delayed.
1.9 Definition Of Terms
This is the coordination of activities towards achieving the organizational goals or set objectives.
A disagreement in understanding each other.
To the context of this study means manipulating of consumable liquid content in bottles or can. This could be alcohol or non-alcohol in nature.
As used in this study refers to laws guiding the trade union in Nigeria as defined by the government.
Refers to workers in life breweries Plc. Onitsha. The people responsible for carrying out day to day activities of the company towards achieving the target goals.
For the purpose of this study means the management board of life breweries Plc. Simply referred to as one who managed human material resources for the production of goods and services.
Simply referred to mean the same as conflict in the study.
5.0 Summary Of Findings, Conclusion And Recommendation
This chapter tries to summarize the results findings of chapter four and the information gotten. Introducing the various parts of these segments of the research study comprising of the summary of finding, conclusion and recommendation needed for effective trade union activities over management activities.
5.2 Summary Of Findings
This section however discusses the major findings of the research study in relation to the objective and research question as shown by the use of tables and figures contained in the study analysis of the various responses to the item on the questionnaire (data) in the light of this therefore the various activities of trade union and its inherent influence on management policy implementation of life breweries Plc Onitsha was determined.
Although, some of the employee of the company under studied were having different views, majority of the employees were of the view that the management policies on employment, security, employee wage and salaries including fringe benefits improved production output should reign supreme among the foundation of the company.
It was later discovered that in the table 4:3:7 that most of the times union leaders lack the skills required or needed in negotiation of the terms and conditions of workers employment, including benefits attached to the work or job performed. The skills needed over sitting side to side with the management of life breweries Plc Onitsha.
Also table 4:3:8 shows that ineffective of union leaders have greater negative effect on management especially when there is need for negotiation of workers interest in the organization.
Management policies formulation and implementation are issues that require great care in order to eliminate the sudden embarrassment it could bring about the workers and the organization at large or the trade union either having proper concern and evaluation of such policies and possible influence of trade union on the implementation of these policies, the researcher clearly stated that the management decision are been affected by the lack of negotiation skill and knowledge over terms and conditions of employment. The trade union of workers most times tends to lack the basic skills required for a job profile to be carried out.
Moreover, the effectiveness of trade union leaders have affected the union and also the management policies and decisions.
Furthermore, the researcher stress the need to grant employees/unions the chance of contributing in decision making in certain situation in the company.
In the light of these findings, it is pertinent to recommend as follows:
- There should be effective communication between trade unions and the management over conditions of employment.
- The trade union leaders should cultivate a sound mind of discipline.
- The employment generation and income distribution in Nigeria should as matter of urgency be determined.
- That the trade unions should help in establishing creative venture towards alleviating unemployment problems engulfing the nation at large.
How To Get The Complete Material For Trade Unionism And Its Influence On Management Policies Implementation (A Study Of Selected Firms In Onitsha, Anambra State)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN CLIENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- Trade Unionism And Its Influence On Management Policies Implementation (A Study Of Selected Firms In Onitsha, Anambra State)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To Your Email Address After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply