Sustainable Educational Policies And National Development (Nigeria Experience)
The researcher treated about sustainable Educational policies and National Development but giving more emphasis on Educational Policy because they are government programmes or action plan meant to review existing educational practice or introduce a new method aimed at enhancing a better educational pursuit for its citizens. The impact of Educational policy makes man live and operate the way he does and his operational efficiency is best determined by his quality of education. Lastly, it is said that without educationally policy, there will be low productivity in the whole sector of the economy.
1.1 Background of the Study
The nexus between education and national development is quite intrinsic. Education, as a process through which desirable knowledge, attitudes and activities are inculcated both formally and informally, provides the basic substratum for national development and ensures that national objectives are brought to fruition. Through this process, man’s intelligence is provided training of the right kind to enable him acquires the necessary values and act rationally for his own good and for that of his society. It is this all important function of education that compelled Alfred Whitehead (1997) to remark thus; “in the conditions of modern life, the rule is absolute; the race which does not value intelligence is doomed”. Thus, it is education that makes man live and operate the way he does. His operational efficacy is best determined by his quality of education. It is not surprising that the Nigerian Government has adopted education as an instrument par excellence for effective national development.
General Background to the Subject Matter
Educational policy are government programmes or action plan meant to review existing educational practice or introduce a new method aimed at enhancing a better educational pursuit for its citizens. Prior to these policies, government involvement was not all that quite pronounced in the management of education. That is why in the introduction of this policy, it is clearly stated thus “Education in Nigeria is no more a private enterprise but a huge government venture that has witnessed a progressive evolution of government completely and dynamic intervention and active participation. According to Walter Rodney (1992), “The import of the policy was that government was out for even and orderly development of the country, using education as its capstone. Dudley Seer (1991) remark thus; the policy does not only highlight the national policy on education but also provides a framework for the national objectives on which the policy derives.
1.2 Problems Associated with the Subject Matter
A lot of problems is associated with this subject matter which include the following:
- There is the danger of employing illiterates in the various sector of the economy if education is not introduced.
- Lack of education is responsible for low productivity in the whole sector of the economy.
- Without the help of education, one cannot be proficient in speaking and understanding languages apart from her mother tongue.
- Satisfaction of other’s interest or even assuming a leadership role in a group would be made impossible without education.
- According to Offoing Daniel A. (1980), Educational policy definitely places some children in disadvantaged position by making no provisions for free education.
1.3 Problems that the Study will be Concerned with
This study concerns a lot of problems which include the following:
a. Problem of Finance:
Finance has been identified as one of the major constrains of policy implementation in the country. Two sources for this problem have been identified as under-estimation of the costs of educational programmme and over-estimation of anticipated financial resources to find the programmes. Educational officials should be provided with enough find to make sure that educational policies are carried out efficiently and effectively.
b. Politicization of the Policy is Another Problem:
According to Segun Adesina (1983), “The political climate in the country has not been quite conducive to implement the policy. Political instability coupled with the reordering of priorities by new leaders often times led to trade union strikes. Political climate in the country must be stable for easy implementation of this policy.
c. Lack of Trained Personnel:
Poor quality teachers also impair the effective operation of the national policy. Efforts should be made by the government to provide adequate curriculum experiences to enable students acquire requisite knowledge, attitudes and skills.
d. Problem of Free Education:
This has been identified as one of the major constrains in educational policies and national development. Efforts must be made by the government to provide free education up to a given level which constituted the principal entry point to the labour force.
e. Problem of Science and Technological Facilities:
All these should be provided in our various schools for smooth educational system in our country.
1.4 Objective of the Study
The objectives of the study are;
- To ascertain the significant relationship between sustainable educational policies and national development
- To ascertain the impact of sustainable education on national development
- To ascertain the educational policies on national development
1.5 Research Hypotheses
For the successful completion of the study, the following research hypotheses were formulated by the researcher;
- H0: there is no significant relationship between sustainable educational policies and national development
H1: there is significant relationship between sustainable educational policies and national development
- H02: there is no impact of sustainable education on national development
H2: there is impact of sustainable education on national development
1.6 Significance of the Study
This study will give a clear insight on sustainable policies and national development. The study will be beneficial to students and the general public. The study will help the educational sector to know about what sustainable educational policies on national development. The study will serve as reference to other researchers that will embark on this topic
1.7 Scope and Limitation of the Study
The scope of the study covers sustainable educational policies and national development. The researcher encounters some constrain which limited the scope of the study;
a) Availability of Research Material:
The research material available to the researcher is insufficient, thereby limiting the study
The time frame allocated to the study does not enhance wider coverage as the researcher has to combine other academic activities and examinations with the study.
c) Organizational Privacy:
Limited Access to the selected auditing firm makes it difficult to get all the necessary and required information concerning the activities
1.8 Definition of Terms
Able to be maintained at a certain rate or level.
Sustainable Educational Policies:
A key part of this challenge is the preparation of citizens empowered with the knowledge, skills, values and attitudes to realize sustainable development. This Policy, therefore, seeks to introduce the principles of sustainability in all aspects of the formal, non-formal and informal education system.
National development is the ability of a county or countries to improve the social welfare of the people e.g by providing social amenities like quality education, potable water, transportation infrastructure, medical care, etc
1.9 Organization of the Study
This research work is organized in five chapters, for easy understanding, as follows
- Chapter one is concern with the introduction, which consist of the (overview, of the study), historical background, statement of problem, objectives of the study, research hypotheses, significance of the study, scope and limitation of the study, definition of terms and historical background of the study.
- Chapter two highlights the theoretical framework on which the study is based, thus the review of related literature.
- Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study.
- Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding.
- Chapter five gives summary, conclusion, and recommendations made of the study
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
It is important to ascertain that the objective of this study was to ascertain sustainable educational policies and national development. In the preceding chapter, the relevant data collected for this study were presented, critically analyzed and appropriate interpretation given. In this chapter, certain recommendations made which in the opinion of the researcher will be of benefits in addressing the challenges of sustainable educational policies and national development
This study was on sustainable educational policies and national development. Three objectives were raised which included: To ascertain the significant relationship between sustainable educational policies and national development, to ascertain the impact of sustainable education on national development, to ascertain the educational policies on national development. In line with these objectives, two research hypotheses were formulated and two null hypotheses were posited. The total population for the study is 200 staff of ministry of education, Abuja. The researcher used questionnaires as the instrument for the data collection. Descriptive Survey research design was adopted for this study. A total of 133 respondents made directors, administrative officers, senior staffand junior staffwere used for the study. The data collected were presented in tables and analyzed using simple percentages and frequencies
The elusive desire for sustainable national development in Nigeria can only be achieved when priority is given to education by the Nigerian state. The political and educational elite must work together in creating the policy options for the management of the relationship between democracy and education; for sustainable national development in Nigeria. Sustainable development cannot be achieved by the current state emphasis on democracy in isolation. Hence, this paper is of the opinion that in the organic link among democracy, education and sustainable national development, it is the position of education that is of the most significant import. In this regard, this paper agrees with Okoye (2012:1) that education is critical to the development of countries; that most of the technologically advanced first world countries, owe their breakthrough and successes in the field of science and technology to robust and functional educational systems. Sustainable national development of the Nigeria state must toe the line of education; the type of education that is not elitist in both content and access; the type of education that reduces inequality and poverty
Based on the foregoing, the authors hereby make the following recommendations as essential points for enhancing quality education in Nigeria:
- Adequate funding of the education sector. Nigerian leaders should embrace the UNESCO recommendation for funding education. Adequate funding is required and necessary to maintain both the human and material resources of the education sector. Funding will improve the maintenance of the physical facilities that have become a hazard to both the learning and living conditions of students.
- Effective monitoring of the management of funds allocated to the education sector. The prevalence of pervasive corruption in Nigeria creates room for diversion of funds meant for the development of educational institutions by the management team.
- Adequate remuneration and motivation of the teaching staff. The teaching staffs represent the agents of change and facilitators of knowledge; they actualize and give impetus to education policies. They need to be committed to their duties without embracing a simultaneous business activity or other trades in order to enhance their salary, by motivating them through incentives that will endear their emotion and attention to their duties.
- Creation of conducive learning and teaching environment by the provision of appropriate, well equipped and adequate laboratories, workshops, classrooms, libraries, staff offices, as well as good and adequate hostel and classroom accommodation, teaching and learning techniques, etc.
- School curriculum/programs need to be relevant to the changing trends, and be able to meet the needs of industries, society and the international community
How To Get The Complete Material For Sustainable Educational Policies And National Development (Nigeria Experience)
The Complete Material will be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make a Mobile Transfer or POS Payment of ₦3,000 to any of the Account Below
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
|Account No.: 1225513212|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 80 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- Sustainable Educational Policies And National Development (Nigeria Experience)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To Your Email Address After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply
This research material “Sustainable Educational Policies And National Development (Nigeria Experience)” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “Sustainable Educational Policies And National Development (Nigeria Experience)” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.