A Survey Of Welfare Packages Available To The Employees Of The Nigeria Railway Corporation And The Effect On Their Performance
This research work, investigation welfare packages available to the employees of the Nigeria railway corporation, Enugu and effects on their performance. To conduct the study, a well structured questionnaire validated by three experts in secretarial studies at the Federal Polytechnic Oko and Osisatech polytechnic Enugu. About 298 questionnaire were distributed to correspondents. The completed questionnaires were presented in the table and analysis using percentage scores. A sample of 230 was drawn from the population of 296 using stratified random sampling.
From the analysis of the data collected, it was found that employees in Nigeria railway corporation are not adequately motivated and the welfare packages available to them are very few and such that will not motivate the employees to higher productivity.
Some recommendations were made to the organization on how employees will be motivated better to bring maximum productivity. Management should hence forth make the employees benefits in the organization a permanent reward. Employees should be involved in decision making, bonus and in service training should be given as well.
Table of Content
- Approval page
- List of tables
- Table of content
- 1.1 Background of the study.
- 1.2 Statement of the problem
- 1.3 Purpose of the study
- 1.4 Significance of the study
- 1.5 Delimitation of the study
- 1.6 Assumption of the study
- 1.7 Research questions
- 1.8 Definitions of terms.
Review of Related Literature
- 2.1 General
- 2.2 Concept of employees welfare programme
- 2.3 Types of employee welfare programme
- 2.4 Employees welfare scheme and the real economic situation
- 2.5 Employees benefit as motivator
- 2.6 Employee benefits and the employee needs
- 2.7 Summary of literature review
- 3.1 Design of the study
- 3.2 Area of the study
- 3.3 Population
- 3.4 Sample and sampling technology
- 3.5 Instrument for data collection
- 3.6 Method of administering and collection of data
- 3.7 Method of validating and reliability of the research instrument.
Data Presentation and Analysis
Discussion of Findings, Summary of Finding, Conclusion and Recommendations
- 5.1 Discussion of findings
- 5.2 Summary of findings
- 5.3 Conclusion
- 5.4 Recommendations
- 5.5 Suggestion for further study
- 5.6 Limitation.
- Appendix 1(i)
- Appendix 2 (ii)
1.1 Background of the Study
Benefits and services represent a tangible gain to employees in form of monetary or non-monetary rewards. As the years rolls by, diverse firings benefits continue to be introduced. Ubeku (1985) noted that fringe benefits have grown in the country today as a result of the economic situation while others have grown either as a result of pressure from trade unions or from sheer invitations. He further noted that once a benefit has been given to an employee, it would be difficult to remove.
Nwachukwu (1984) in related study, pointed out that Nigerian employers offer many types of incentive which are competitive and attractive in nature. Flippo (1971) listed some of the most frequent cited advantages of offering employees services which include effective recruitment, improved morale loyalty and good public relations.
This study, however examined the importance of employee welfare service in the Nigeria railway corporation, Enugu. The welfare programme have helped to enhance productivity in the organization. This study is also aimed at finding out whether or not there is positive relationship between incentive to workers and their productivity especially as it applies to the Nigeria railway corporation Enugu.
Earlier researches on employees motivation have revealed that employees have the greatest tendencies to respond to incentives in a most positive manner. The case with Nigeria railway corporation may not be different, but it is freer that the present down turn in business of the corporation may be attributed to issues connecting motivation of employees. During the colonial era, rail transport has been a right means for movement in the country. This research was motivated by the fat that presently Rail transport is no longer promising. The reason is not known but looking at the rail business in Enugu metropolis, one will say that it is not promising. Hence the need to determine the extent of employee motivation in the corporation in other to find out the causes foir the down turn in their business.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
The assumption that civil and public servants in Nigeria are adequately motivated seems to be far from the truth. This is because those offices often embark on industrial strike. Most often the causes of such industrial unrest are genuine especially where they are adjusted to infringe on the rights and privileges of employees.
In paratatals also industrial crises seems to be much more on the increase than in the other sectors. Frankly of the national economy, Nigeria Railway corporation has had her own faire share of the National Industrial Crises. Some times, these crises are stretched and some other times, it is usually brief. The labor situation in Nigeria Railway corporation has not been thoroughly investigated. In the same vein, it is difficult to determine the type of welfare packages provided by the Nigeria Railway corporation to their present employees.
Most disturbing is that it has also not been known whether these packages are enough to motivate the employees to higher productivity or not. Hence this research work determined welfare packages provided by Nigeria railway corporation Enugu to their employees and whether such packages are capable of motivating their employees to higher productivity.
1.3 Purpose of the Study
This study is to find out welfare packages available to the employees of the Nigeria railway corporation. Specifically the study is to
- Find out employees welfare packages available in the Nigeria railway corporation Enugu
- Find out if the employees are happy with the packages provided by the Nigeria railway corporation.
- Find out if such packages have helped to increase the efficiency and affectivity of these employee.
- Find if the Nigeria railway corporation entertains any problem in offering those packages
- Make recommendations on how employees welfare packages should be controlled and administered.
1.4 Significance of the Study
This study about welfare packages available to the employees. Nigeria railway corporation Enugu will go at lent at determining the type of welfare packages that can motivate employees to greater productivity in an industrial setting. Frankly, it will be unreasonable to assume that employees will continue to find satisfaction in their job, if they are not properly motivated
However, the findings of this study shall be useful to parastatals and corporations in Enugu state, to find ways through which they can motivate their employees. The findings of this study shall also be useful to those holding administrative positions in business organizations to determine the way they should better motivate their workers for greater industrial productivity.
Finally, the study will be useful to educational institution where management courses are offered to determine appropriate ways through which employees could be motivated.
1.6 Assumption of the Study
The following assumption where made to the study
- Nigeria railway corporation provides welfare packages to their employees
- If the welfare packages are capable of motivating the workers, it will result to increase in productivities on the part of such employees.
- Where these welfare packages are poor and not capable of motivating workers, their productivity will be low.
1.7 Research Questions
The following research questions were formulated to guide the study
- What are the welfare packages available to the employee of the Nigeria Railway corporation Enugu
- Are the employees happy with welfare packages provided to them.
- How far have those packages helped to increase the productivity of these employees.
- What problem do Nigeria railway corporation encounter in maintaining welfare packages with their employees.
- What recommendations are necessary for maintaining employee incentives in Nigeria railway corporation.
1.8 Definition of Salient Terms
The following terms are explained in these manner they are used in this project are explained in the content they are used.
The oxford advanced dictionary of current English defines employee as a person paid for wages. Employee are used in this project to mean people whose services are engaged in an organization for commensurate pay, especially done in form of salaries.
The oxford advanced dictionary to current English define welfare programme is an organized effort to improve the welfare of those who need help, it is also used in this work, to mean a programme introduced to motivate workers and enhance their morale and bring fort good productivity.
Nigeria Railway Corporation:
This is a corporation of company that is in charge of railway lines in Nigeria.
Discussion of Findings, Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations.
5.1 Discussion of Findings
From the tables, so many things were discovered from the research questions that were sent out as questionnaires.
From tables 1,4,10. we noticed that employees are not actually happy with the amount they receive as salaries and that is not always enough to carter for their family, needed. They also confirmed that when salaries are increased, they put more energy to work.
From tables 3,5,11. we are means to understand that they don’t receive bonus at all and even if they receive any, they don’t consider if appropriate to the number of time, the into the organization. Besides, majority said they work better when these incentives are given to them. This is because it increases their morale to work.
Tables 2,8,9, consist of decision making.. they are really involved in decision making. Decision making brings out the view of different people who come together to make important solutions to a present problem or problems, it discourages employees morale when they are paid higher but are paid higher but are not involved in decision making. They are also happy when their boss gets piece of advice from the on want to do.
From tables, 6,7,12,19 we found out that there is nothing like in service training in their organization. In service training should be made available to employees who will help in organizational growth. It will help them to be more creative, acquire more knowledge, see the way other people does own things, that is not existing in the company. It also going for workshop, meetings whereby hearing from people that are higher than you to enable them make nice planning
From tables, 17, 18, 20 in these tables there are some recommendations made for the company’s growth like workers be involved in decision making, Workers be sent on periodic in service training, Recommendation for normal, high and regular pay for workers and lastly workers should out put hard to increase the organizational output so that better incentives would be given to them
From the above discussion, the following findings were made
- There should be an employee welfare packages at the first place. This helps to motivate the employees morale and create a great effect on their performance. These welfare packages are meant to be shared equally or according. If these things are not looked into in Nigeria railway corporation. It will be a big problem within the employees and low productivity will come up as a result of poor performance. Management are supposed to put heads together and make them available to everybody.
- In service training of workers is the main thing that helps in developing and advancing the management of the Nigeria railway corporation Enugu. This training can be for example going out for sponsored programmes, workshops, courses in places outside the organization etc. it helps the employees to further their education carrier. When all these knowledge has been acquired, it will help them to know where things have gone wrong and what should be done about it.
- Increase in welfare packages helps in increasing employees productivity in the organization.
- The organization should try to meet up to the employees needs on time like payment of salaries, allowances, overtime (to be useful and ginger them to work more than the require hours) and other incentives and benefits. These benefits are supposed to vary according to the present economy condition. This is because it changes with time but when they are constant, employees will find it difficult to cope.
- From these findings, employees are not mostly allowed to make decisions and are deprived of playing an important role in decision-making in the organization. The views of different employees should be needed to really know their pressings needs. Likes and dislikes. From their responses also, they are better motivated when they are involved in decision making, it makes them feel that they are important and that their presence are highly needed in the organization.
- Some respondents feel that workers should be paid highly and regularly too.
- There should be provision for periodic in service training for workers.
As has been seen through investigation in the proceeding chapters that employee welfare service programme plays a very important role, in the organizations goal achievement that when the employees were not eventually motivated which leads to low morale and poor performance by the employees.
In fact, the importance of employees welfare and service programme towards the achievement of organizational goals cannot be over emphasized. The management should try and tackled so that the employees would struggle towards the achievement of organizational goal. This is just to say that when the employees goals are achieved the organizational goal will also be achieved also. The study depicted that workers job performance are not adequately improved by welfare programmes and service being offered.
More so, workers were not consulted in setting up the programme and as such, issues, welfare programmes from, size, nature, Worland preference would have been deliberated at the time of setting up the programmes to improve the morale of workers.
5.4 Suggestion for Further Study
Further studies should be conducted on strategies for providing good welfare packages to employees in order to enhance organizational productivity.
This research work was not completed due to problems that both affected the timely completion and the reliability of the major findings.
In the main time, financial disposition of the researcher affected greatly very timely completion of the research exercise. The reliability of the findings was affected by the bias of the respondents who feared giving authentic information as they concern the study of fears of fears of victimization and the attendant’s consequences.
I must not fail to point out the obstacles I encountered in finding relevant materials for writing up both the background and the volume of the literature review as few individuals have yet written impressively on welfare programmes or employees.
How To Get The Complete Material For A Survey Of Welfare Packages Available To The Employees Of The Nigeria Railway Corporation And The Effect On Their Performance
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN CLIENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- A Survey Of Welfare Packages Available To The Employees Of The Nigeria Railway Corporation And The Effect On Their Performance
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To Your Email Address After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply