A Study Into The Challenges And Prospects Of Marketing Nigerian Made Computer Softwares
The study examines the challenges and prospects of marketing Nigerian made computer softwares. Posed with the problem of inferiority complex usually associated with Nigerian made goods, various foreign products have edge over indigenous products. Objectives for the study were to critically examine attitude of people towards Nigerian made computer softwares and various ways in which the marketability of Nigerian made softwares can be enhanced. Concerning methodology, fifty (50) computer science students and lecturers were used for the study. Findings from the study revealed that most students face challenges when convincing organizations to use their indigenously developed softwares. The government should create the enabling environment to enable Nigerian computer scientist to strive in the heat of competition from foreign softwares. Quality of computer softwares should be ensured in terms of security, graphics and user friendliness.
1.1 Background to the Study
Made-in-Nigeria softwares are those that are produced within Nigeria. Nigeria as a third world country needs to produce its own software so that it will help develop its economy in terms of growth and stability.
The Nigerian government in 1988 took another bold step to encourage favorable attitudes towards made-in-Nigerian goods in a bid to actualize the Enterprises promotion Decree. The basis of this decree was to reduce foreign dominance on the economy, encourage local retention of profit, and create employment opportunities amidst other objectives. Since independence in 1960, a lot of changes have taken place in the country economically, politically and socially which as a result, firms, small and large have gone down the drain. The cause of this was mainly due to lack of good management and leadership in the country as well as lack of vision and foresight. The country is plagued with large scale under capacity resource utilization, power supply that cannot be used for any meaningful planning purpose and a whole economy that cannot be forecasted.
Marketing implications of the above scenario will be: irregular supply of products, supply of lower quality product due to dwindling income of consumers, fluctuating prices due to product shortages, low reputation of manufactured goods, low motivation towards advertising, low marketing orientation and a general consumer discontent with home made goods (Aire,pp.46-62, 1973:Kalegha et al 1983,p.5). However, with the democratization of the system and the call to the citizenry to look inward for a sustainable growth through self-reliance, it is therefore, hoped that Nigerians will develop favourable attitudes towards made in Nigeria goods.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
Previous studies have shown that Nigerians have unfavourable attitudes toward home made products (Aire, 1973,pp.46-62; Kolegha et al,p.7 1983). The purpose of the present study is to investigate the marketability of made in Nigeria software and the current attitude of Nigerian consumers towards made in Nigerian software. This study aims to;
- To examine the overall attitude of Nigerians towards made-in-Nigerian softwares.
- To find out significant differences between the current and past studies on purchasers attitude towards made-in-Nigerian products.
- To examine the possible motivations behind Nigeria attitudes towards domestically produced softwares.
1.3 Objectives of the Study
The main objective of this study is to examine the challenges of marketing made in Nigeria software .The study also has the following specific objectives:
- To examine the components of made in Nigeria software’s.
- To evaluate the perceptions of Nigerians towards made in Nigeria software.
- To highlight the various strategies put in place for marketing made in Nigeria software’s
- To examine the challenges in marketing made in Nigeria software.
- To suggest appropriate strategies for addressing these challenges
- To evaluate efforts made by Nigerian manufacturers and Government towards effective marketing of made in Nigeria software.
1.4 Research Questions
The following questions will be addressed in the course of this study:
- What is marketing and how do Nigerian manufacturers market their Software?
- What is the importance of marketing to the manufacturers of made in Nigeria software?
- What are the major components of made in Nigeria software?
- What are the challenges confronting manufacturers of made in Nigeria software?
- What are the strategies that can be adopted to address these challenges?
- How do people in Nigeria evaluate the various attributes of domestic software products relative to similar products of foreign origin?
1.5 Research Hypothesis
The following hypotheses has been developed and would be tested in the course of this study:
Ho: Marketing of Made in Nigerian software does not have any significant challenge
Hi: Marketing of Made in Nigerian software has very significant challenges
1.6 Significance of the Study
The significance of this research study was drawn from the aforementioned objectives, research questions, and hypotheses such that when tested, they could assist in the following forms:
Once the challenges of marketing Nigerian made softwares is understood by the management and line-managers of multinationals and indigenous companies operating in Nigeria, they will be able to adopt the findings and recommendations for effective marketing planning, implementation and control of their operations.
The operators would learn and acquire for adoption, better and more viable types of organizational structure and strategies that will support their operational activities and strategies. With these structures and strategies in place Nigerian populace will be better served with more of the software products in every part of the country.
Academics would be able to use the gaps identified for criticisms, and propound further concepts and theories in the areas of marketing Nigerian made products.
Marketing consultants and researchers would be opportune to understand the challenges facing the marketing of Nigerian made softwares, and possibly carry out further studies on it.
1.7 Scope/limitations of study
This work is an attempt to research into the problems and prospects of marketing made in Nigeria products with particular reference to computer softwares.
Internal and External factors impair marketing local products. This study is however, limited to marketing mix elements, product, price, promotion and place. The study focuses on Nigerian made softwares with the hope that the result of this work can be generalized to other locally manufactured products.
1.8 Definition of Terms
A social and managerial process by which individuals and Groups obtain what they need and want through creating and exchanging products and value with others.
The way in which motivated individuals perceive a given situation that determines how precisely they will behave.
Consumer’s estimate of the products overall capacity to satisfy his/her needs.
Consists of all the potential customers sharing a particular need or want who might be willing and able o engage in exchange to satisfy that need of want.
Is any set of machine-readable instructions that directs a computer’s processor to perform specific operations.
5.0 Findings, Conclusion and Recommendation
5.1 Findings / observations
- The objective of this research was to examine the attitude of Nigerians towards the patronage of made in Nigeria computer softwares. Findings from the study revealed that a vast majority of Nigerians dislike made in Nigeria computer softwares (see table 4.6)
- Another observation is that our government has done little or nothing in protecting Nigerian made computer software by allowing our markets to be flooded with foreign computer softwares ( see table 4.1.1)
- From or findings we got to discover that Nigerian software have not been given favorable ground to compete with foreign computer softwares as a result of general negative perception of Nigerians which in most cases are false .
- Findings from the study also indicated that there is a significant negative change in the attitude of Nigerians towards patronizing made in Nigeria computer softwares. (See hypothesis 1)
Based on this research, the following conclusions where made:
- Nigerians prefer foreign computer softwares to made in Nigeria software as a result of the following reasons,
- Nigerians generally believe that foreign computer softwares are more durable and deliver excellent value for money when compared to made in Nigerian computer softwares.
- The erroneous belief that most made in Nigeria computer software are less efficient or fake.
- Also from the study, the following are the major challenges of marketing made in Nigerian computer software:
- The study revealed that a major challenge affecting the marketability of Nigerian computer softwares is the lack of adequate government policies that should enhance patronage of made in Nigerian computer softwares. Government hasn’t done enough in promoting use of domestic materials in recent years. This sole reason has gone a long way in affecting the marketability of made in Nigeria softwares as foreign computer softwares have flooded our markets therefore making it almost impossible for our locally made softwares to compete favorably in the market.
As a result of the findings in the study, the following recommendations can be made:
- Government should encourage the sale of made in Nigeria softwares by creating adequate awareness on the need and benefits of purchasing made in Nigeria computer softwares and at the same time stop excessive importation of foreign computer softwares. There should be adequate policies to protect and promote our locally made computer softwares.
- Another very efficient way of promoting made in Nigeria softwares is by sensitizing the general public on the durability and excellent delivery of value of money of made in Nigerian computer softwares. Our study shows that most Nigerians believe that foreign computer softwares are better than Nigerian made computer software, though this may be true but definitely not in all cases as most Nigerian made computer softwares are even better than foreign computer softwares.
- Made in Nigeria computer softwares should be improved upon in other to make them compete favorably with foreign computer softwares. The improvement on the general durability and efficiency of our softwares would go a long way in making Nigerians have confidence in our locally made computer softwares.
How To Get The Complete Material For A Study Into The Challenges And Prospects Of Marketing Nigerian Made Computer Softwares
The complete material will be sent to your email address after payment
( Quick & Simple)
|FOR CLIENTS IN NIGERIA:|
|CLICK HERE to make purchase (₦3,000)|
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|CLICK HERE to make purchase ($15)|
This research material “A Study Into The Challenges And Prospects Of Marketing Nigerian Made Computer Softwares” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “A Study Into The Challenges And Prospects Of Marketing Nigerian Made Computer Softwares” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.