A Study Of The Challenges Faced By Managers In Providing Efficient Catering Service In The Old Peoples Home
Planning of food to nursing home residents is explored to examine residents’ perspectives related to nursing home food and food service, and to identify strategies for improving food and food service in old people’s homes. An interpretive phenomenological approach was used to uncover meaning in a series of “tell me a story” interviews about food and food service with residents from Regina Mundi Home for the elderly ,Well care Home Medicals and Miradora Care Homes in all in Lagos. Analysis revealed that the quality of food provided for theses residents are not very fair. Specific information found under these rubrics can be used as a blue print for quality improvement interventions implemented by nursing home staff and management, thereby improving quality of life for old people’s home residents.
1.1 Background of the Study
Managers are the community that visibly stands apart in present-day business organization, although heterogeneous and difficult to unequivocal defining. The reasons for this phenomenon are concerned with the process of ownership and management’s
separation, therefore with so called “managerial revolution”. In the business encyclopedia, manager is described as a person, who fulfills the primordial managerial functions (planning, organizing, motivating and controlling) and is the superior of given human team (Encyklopedia biznesu1995). However, manager is a person who first of all is responsible for realization of management process. In particular manager is the person, that makes plans and decisions, organizes, supervises and controls human, finance and information resources (Griffin2010). Manager can be seen as a profession which essence is the management – the art of reaching goals by proper using the finance, material and human resources (Pocztowski1997). In catering management the manager is seen as a person employed for managing, fulfilling all his functions and making use of all or some part of fund/resources in order to achieve goals of the whole or its given part.
Catering is the business of providing food service at a remote site or a site such as a hotel, public house (pub), private home or other location. Catering has evolved to become an artisanal affair. The importance of good quality food to the health and well being of older people, and how the housing and care industry needs to embrace the opportunity of expecting more from the catering. There seem to be different challenges being faced by mangers in providing efficient service. The preparation of food and its related knowledge are an inevitable part of daily living and an important part of an economy. The subject is addressing the challenges faced by managers in providing efficient catering service in the old people home.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
The challenges faced by managers in providing efficient catering service for old people home cannot be overemphasized. This is because the basic human need of food with product and services from an industrial perspective could be challenging. Through this study, the biological cum environmental, social and cultural level of needs are examined. By proposing a solution for the needs, the crafts of cooking and principles of nutrition and technology will be applied. Via playing a role as a service provider, a manager that renders catering in old people’s home will be nourished with interpersonal skills and a sense of elegance.
The focus at mealtimes should be about creating an experience for guests and delicious quality food in old people home. A fresh look and innovation are needed to raise standards in line with an increasingly savvy and demanding customer.
1.3 Objectives of the Study
The main purpose of this research is to study the challenges faced by managers in providing efficient catering service in old people home.
Therefore, the objectives in the research is aimed at;
- To examine the roles of managers in providing efficient catering service in old people’s home
- To state the challenges managers faced in providing efficient catering service for old people’s home.
- To establish a positive attitude towards the development of new products and ideas in catering business for old people’s home.
- To acquire the knowledge and develop the skills required for overcome the challenges faced by managers in providing efficient catering services in old people’s home.
1.4 Research Questions
- What are the roles of managers in providing efficient catering service in old people’s home?
- What are the challenges managers faced in providing efficient catering service for old people’s home?
1.5 Research Hypotheses
- Ho: Services provided in the nursing homes are not efficient
- Hi: Services provided in the nursing homes are efficient
- Ho: the competence of a manager does not determine his efficiency in providing catering services for the old people
- Hi: the competence of a manager determines his efficiency in providing catering services for the old people
1.5 Significance of the Study
The significance of this study cannot be overemphasized. This is because providing catering service for old people is very challenging. These service providers such as old people’s home need efficient managers to run the business for successfully business transactions and profit return. Hence, this work will reveal some skills and knowledge that will help the manager to overcome various challenges that are being faced in rendering efficient catering services in old people’s home.
Also, it will be of help to hospitality management students who intends to carryout similar research work, since it will serve as secondary material for their research.
1.6 Scope and Limitation of the Study
This study is primary concerned with the challenges faced by managers in providing efficient catering services in the old people’s home. This study covers well-care, Homesin and Mundi homes in Lagos state.The researcher encountered some constraints, which limited the scope of the study. These constraints include but are not limited to the following
a) Availability of Research Material:
The research material available to the researcher is insufficient, thereby limiting the study
The time frame allocated to the study does not enhance wider coverage as the researcher has to combine other academic activities and examinations with the study.
1.7 Definition of Terms
Old People’s Home:
A retirement home – sometimes called an old people’s home or old age home, although old people’s home can also refer to a nursing home – is a multi-residence housing facility intended for the elderly. Typically, each person or couple in the home has an apartment-style room or suite of rooms.
Catering is the business of providing food service at a remote site or a site such as a hotel, hospital, pub, aircraft, cruise ship, park, filming site or studio, entertainment site, or event venue.
1.8 Organization of the Study
This research work is organized in five chapters, for easy understanding, as follows
- Chapter one is concerned with the introduction, which consist of the (overview, of the study), historical background, statement of problem, objectives of the study, research hypotheses, significance of the study, scope and limitation of the study, definition of terms and historical background of the study.
- Chapter two highlights the theoretical framework on which the study is based, thus the review of related literature.
- Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study.
- Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding.
- Chapter five gives summary, conclusion, and recommendations made of the study
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
It is important to ascertain that the objective of this study was to ascertain a critical analysis of the challenges faced by managers in providing efficient catering services in the old people’s home.
In the preceding chapter, the relevant data collected for this study were presented, critically analyzed and appropriate interpretation given. In this chapter, certain recommendations are made, which in the opinion of the researcher will be of benefit in addressing the challenges of providing efficient catering services for the old people’s home.
This study aimed at having a critical analysis of the challenges faced by managers in providing efficient catering services in the old people’s home. Four objectives were raised. These objectives include: To examine the roles of managers in providing efficient catering service in old people’s home, to state the challenges managers faced in providing efficient catering service for old people’s home, to establish a positive attitude towards the development of new products and ideas in catering business for old people’s home, to acquire the knowledge and develop the skills required for overcome the challenges faced by managers in providing efficient catering services in old people’s home.
Based on the above findings pertaining to the objectives of the study the following conclusions are drawn.
The health status, age, and background of an elderly person must be considered while providing catering services for them
- The manager should know the details of every elderly person in the home, as this would help in meeting the individual needs of everyone
- The government and other NGOs should support Nursing homes in caring for the elderly.
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: A Study Of The Challenges Faced By Managers In Providing Efficient Catering Service In The Old Peoples Home
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply