Staff Training And Development As Important Tools For Achieving An Organization’s Objective (A Study of First Bank Nigeria Plc, Kawo Branch, Kaduna)
This is a research work aimed at critically and objectively examines staff training and development as important tools for achieving an organization‘s objectives with a particular reference to the banking sector in Nigeria. To achieve this, the work it’s divided into five (5) chapters. Chapter one provided a general view on the study, which include introduction the aims and objectives of the study the hypothesis among other thing. The chapter two, which is the literature review, shaded more light on the vital aspect of training and development. Textbooks were referred in other to get related information, quotations were made from these materials chapter three deals with research methodology, the method that data were collected, carefully analyzed and presentation was also made, the questionnaire were collated other administering. Finally, chapter five, which comprises summary, conclusion and recommendation, is also embedded, these the researcher believe could be of immense benefit to any organization that may wish to venture into training and development exercise.
Table Of Contents
- Title page
- Table of contents
- 1.1 Background of the Study
- 1.2 First Bank in Brief
- 1.3 Statement of the Problems
- 1.4 Objectives of the Study
- 1.5 Research hypothesis
- 1.6 Significance of the study
- 1.7 Scope of the study
- 1.8 Limitation of the Study
- 1.9 Definition of Key Terms
2.0 Literature review
- 2.1 Introduction
- 2.2 Training and development: the Basic Framework
- 2.3 Reason for Training and Development
- 2.4 Identifying Training and Development Needs
- 2.5 Planning Training and development Processes
- 2.6 Evaluation of Training and Development
- 2.7 Training Evaluation Method
- 3.1 Data Gathering Method
- 3.2 Primary Sources
- 3.3 Secondary Sources
- 3.4 Method of Data analysis
- 3.5 Population and sample size
Data Presentation, Analysis and Interpretation
- 4.0 Introduction
- 4.1 Hypothesis Testing
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
- 5.1 Introduction
- 5.2 Summary of Finding
- 5.3 Conclusion
- 5.4 Recommendation
1.1 Background Of The Study
The human resources are the most dynamic of all the organization’s resources of all the organization’s resources. They need considerable attention from the organization’s management; if they are to realize their full potential in their work. Thus motivation, leadership, communication work restructuring, payment systems and training and development may be included in the issue which has to be faced by management today. Most of these issues will be considered in this research work, but now it is time to consider the role of training and development activities in the organization. Because of the changing nature of business environment due to modern technology, workers need to adapt themselves to this new technology so, the need for effective training and development ought to be seriously emphasized which will create an impartation of new skill, knowledge etc. that an individual worker will need in other to lead to greater productivity and higher performance, where there is training and development in an organization. It helps the organization in achieving its goal and objectives. ]
Training and development however are matters for individual organization to sort out the rest of this research look at how organizations set about meeting their training ad development needs.
1.2 First Bank Of Nigeria In Brief
First bank of Nigeria Plc for over a century has distinguished itself as a leading financial institution. The bank was incorporated as a limited liability company on March 31 1894, with Head office in Liverpool by Sir Alfred Jones, a shipping magnate in it early years of operations the bank recorded an impressive growth and worked closely with the colonial government.
To justify its West Africa coverage a branch was opened in Accra, Ghana in 1876 and in free town, Sierra Leone in 1898. The second branch of the bank in Nigeria was in the old Calabar in 1900 and two years later services were extended to their Northern Nigeria. In 1957, it changed it names from Bank of British West Africa to Bank of West Africa. In 1969, the bank was incorporated locally as Standard Bank of Nigeria Limited in line with the companies decree of 1968. Changes in the bank also occurred in 1979 and 1991, to First Bank of Nigeria Limited and First Bank of Nigeria Plc, Respectively. In 1985, the bank introduced a decentralized structure with five regional administrations. To further enhance the bank’s operational efficiency, this was reconfigured into sixteen area offices in 2003. In view of the foregoing, it was therefore, a natural progression when 2001, the bank began the process of transforming its corporate identity reflects it rejuvenated focus the bank expanding skill base has been extended by a range of training provided by a range of training provided to its employees whose opportunity for career development within the bank have thus been enhanced. Training is carried out at various levels through both in – house and external courses.
1.3 Statement Of The Problem
Most organizations has problems in one way of the other and first bank Plc is not an Exception one of these problems encountered is that, workers are not motivated to work so as to put in their best for the efficiency and effectiveness of the organization. This is due to the fact that most of these workers are not being trained and developed, as they ought to be.
Training and development is very important because it removes deficiencies of employees in an organization. If training is properly done, the organization will achieve its aims and objectives. However, major interest to this study is staff training and development as important tools for achieving an organization’s Objectives.
1.4 Aims And Objectives
The rational behind this research is to undertake an intensive investigation into staff training and development with a particular reference to the banking sector in Nigeria and the problems facing the sector on the subject matter, with a view to offer solution as to how these problems should be solved.
It is the aim of the research is to see how effectively the banking sector utilizes training and development strategies in achieving its goals and objectives. Among other aims and objectives of this study are:
- To improve the quality of work performance of employees
- To reduce labour turnover, absenteeism and wastages.
- To know the essence of training and development of employees in organization
Finally, the data collected by the researcher of this research will be analyzed in a more simplified manner and all the technical items will as much as possible avoided and where they are unavoidable, it must be explained within this research work, so that even a lay – man can understand and benefit from this research work.
1.5 Research Hypothesis
Kerlinger (1973) defines hypothesis as “conjectural” statement of the relation between two or more variables” this research sets out to test hypothesis on staff training and development as important tools for achieving an organization’s objectives the following are the hypothesis which the researcher have in mind.
Ho: Staff Training and development have no impact on achieving an organization’s goals or objectives
Hi: Staff training and development have impact on achieving an organization’s goals or objectives.
1.6 Significance Of The Study
The significance of this study lies in the benefit that the findings would provide to many individuals, groups and organization a very good source of literature review material for any study relevant to the topic.
Secondly, organization, especially those that are of the banking sector will certainly find this project very useful in understanding the nature of training and development and its relevance to the employees.
Lastly, it is also believed that the study will be of benefit to the reader who like to have better knowledge of training and
development of employees how to harness and reactivate these tools towards meeting the challenges facing the banking sector and the world new economic order at the moment.
1.7 Scope Of The Study
Although this project is attempting to review staff training and development as important tools for achieving an organization’s objectives: but in the course of writing, the research will cover First Bank Nigeria Plc Kaduna. The management and other levels of workers are considered as population for this study. The study will also be limited to library review of relevant literatures and based on collections of documents, books, projects, speeches and other facts through the media.
1.8 Limitations Of The Study
The research have some limitations like other research studies. Some of the limitations encountered are as follows:
- One of the chief limitation of the study is inadequate resources (Finance) to conduct a satisfactory and detailed study of an organization on their training development policies in the organization.
- Staff of the organization who are in good position to assist in the acquisition of data, will not be willing to give information or data on the basis of security. So, much was not disclosed by them
- Also difficulty was experienced in getting material like textbooks that will also give relevant information to the researcher.
- The time frame in which this research work is to be completed has placed a barrier to how far the researcher can go into sourcing for information.
- The school being an academic environment gathering of information was not an easy task considering number of books in the library, couple with other academic activities which must be taken into consideration.
1.9 Definition Of Key Term
This usually implies preparation for an occupation or for a specific skill; it is narrower in conception than either education or development. It is also defined as an organized process by Which Skill and Knowledge are learnt for specified purposes.
Thus usually suggest a broader view of knowledge and skills acquisition than training. It is concerned more with employee potential than with immediate skill.
Organization is intricate human strategies designed to achieve certain objectives (Argyris 1960). It is also defined as system of interdependent human being (Pugh 1971).
These are group of people working together under a manager or a head. Staff can also be seen as persons employed in any work place.
This is deficiency in skill, knowledge or experience that requires to be taught to enable an employee performs a particular job or task to the required standard.
On the Job Training:
Is the training program that is given to worker as he is performing the job
Off the Job Training:
This is the training programme that is given to an employee outside the organization.
It is a financial institution established for keeping money and valued safely, the money being paid out on the customer’s order
Career development is individual’s perceived sequence of attitude and behaviours associated with work related experience and activities over the span of the persons work life.
Summary, Conclusion And Recommendation
This chapter is the concluding part, which will summarize the major issues in the project draw conclusion and give recommendations the research was set to examine staff training and development as an important tool for achieving an organization’s objective. The project was divided into five chapters. In chapter one background of the study, objective of the study, statement of problem hypothesis and other issues were discussed. Chapter two entails the literature review. Method of the research design was stated in chapter three. In chapter four the data collected were presented and analysed and summary, conclusion and recommendation were given in the fifth chapter
5.2 Summary Of Finding
Based on the data available collected and analysed, the researcher came up with the following findings.
Training and development could offer employees the opportunity to learn new skill base on their jobs.
Although first bank Nigeria Plc trains and developed their employees. But training and development in that organization has not achieved its aims and objective as desired due to some negative factors which are as follows:
- It may be that objective of the development programme was not clearly stated to the trainees
- Due to negligence of employees in the organization, they do not take training and development programmes very seriously and the training programmes do not make any impact on their job performance.
- It could also be as a result of training programmes not being related to employees’ needs for self-development and self actualization.
- Another cause of training and development not having impact in achieving organization goals and objectives is that the organization does not often evaluate the outcome of the programmes to see whether it could help them in achieving their goals and objectives
- Another reason is that employee may not have the opportunity to put in practice what he/she leant during the training period
- Also the organization may not have professionals who have skills in training and developing workers. And so, workers may not really gain much from them
- Another reason is the problem of transfer of knowledge. Some concepts and principles taught are too academic and sometimes are very difficult to apply in a real life situation.
- Many training and development programme are not properly planned and there are no sequences to the courses offered from year to year.
The issues discussed in this research are very wide. This research work is not only relevant to first bank Plc. Kawo branch but all banking Industries in general.
It is important to say in conclusion that only effective training and development programmes could help organizations in achieving the organization’s goals and objectives through staff training. It is also important to note that it is not enough for organization to train and develop their employees but also have a good follow up that is to evaluate training process to see whether it has achieved the purpose for putting such training programmes in place. Where there is a defect in training process it should be corrected immediately so that organization could achieve the aims and objectives of its training and development programme. In other not to waste resources and time.
Based on the researcher’s finding the researcher hereby recommends the following.
- Before an organization would embark on training and development programmes, it should clearly state the objective to be achieved during the training period and should be shown to the trainer and to the trainees.
- The organization should carefully select its training consultants and should adopt lectures that would suite specific organization needs.
- The Organization should adopt the 3 stages approach to evaluate the training programme to see if the training process has achieved it aims these approaches are:
- Pre – Evaluation
- Evaluation During training process
- Post Evaluation
- The organization should employ workers who are competent and have skill and knowledge of the jobs, they are employed to do or else when they come into the organization they will not be able to perform well even they are being trained on the job
- The management of the organization should provide materials and equipments for training to make learning easier and not abstract
- The organization should learn to see employees as asset that need to be trained to bring out the best in them and not as a cost that should be avoided so that the organization will achieve its goals and objectives.
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦5,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731
|Acc No: 1225513212
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS
|Make Payment of 120 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Cloud Osabutey | MTN MoMo
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: Staff Training And Development As Important Tools For Achieving An Organization’s Objective (A Study of First Bank Nigeria Plc, Kawo Branch, Kaduna)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply