The Need For Staff Training And Development In Imo State (A Case Of Nwangele Local Government Area)
Training, according to the webster’s dictionary, is a process by which someone is taught the skills that are needed for an art, job or profession. This means that for any person to be effective on any discipline, he/she must undergo training on such discipline. In Nigeria today, we see people who are not qualified for certain positions or discipline learning occupying such positions or discipline. Moreover, the advancement in technology and ICT has thrown up new challenges, ideas and ways of doing things today.
Hence, the need for training and retraining of available man power. Imo state, being an integrate part of the Nigeria nation, is not immunized from the problems of ill-trained and equipped man power (staff) for all round develop0ment of the state. Due to lean or dwindling resources accruing to the state, staff development programs have been relegated to the background. This has been in turn affected the working of government, and her ministries, departments and agencies.
This research work is aimed at finding out the amount of training the existing staff of the state (Mith Nwayela local government as a case study) her attained and how allowing for on-the-job training and further development of the man-power will enhance, or otherwise, the output of such individual man power.
In chapter one, the need for this research work is outlined. The relevance of training and men power development was the main four of chapter two. How the research was designed and carried out in established in chapter three. In chapter four, the data collected through the questionnaire administered on respondent were presented and analysed, while this researcher presented the summary of the research findings and also proffered some recommendations.
Table Of Content
- Title page
- Approval page
- Table of contents
- 1.1 Background of the study
- 1.2 Statement of the problem
- 1.3 Objective of the study
- 1.4 Research questions
- 1.5 Statement of Hypothesis
- 1.6 Significance of the study
- 1.7 Scope of the study
- 1.8 Limitations of study
- 1.9 Definition of terms
2.0 Literature Review
- 2.1 Introduction
- 2.2 Approach to training
- 2.3 Government intervention in training
3.0 Research Design and Methodology
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Research design
- 3.3 Sources / methods of data collection
- 3.4 Population and sample size
- 3.5 Sample techniques
- 3.6 Validity and reliability of measuring Instrument
- 3.7 Method of data analysis
4.0 Presentation and Analysis of Data
- 4.1 Introduction
- 4.2 Presentation of data
- 4.3 Analysis of data
- 4.4 Test of hypothesis
- 4.5 Interpretation of result(s)
5.0 Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
- 5.1 Introduction
- 5.2 Summary of findings
- 5.3 Conclusion
- 5.4 Recommendations
Nwangele local government area under study has a long history, although it cannot be traced specifically to definite period as it dated back to a recent times.
The area under study have passed though a lot of stages right from the pre-colonial period when the area was under the relationship of the monarch (Obi) to the Gele district council. This status was maintained until the country hard her independence from Britain on 1st October, 1960. It become known as Nwangele local government areas following the scrapping of district councils.
It is important to note that the 1991 census put the population estimates of Nwangele local government area at one hundred and twenty nine thousand, nine hundred and ninety (129,990) Nwangele local government area are affected by the two major climate conductions prevalent in the eastern region/zone the raining season and the dry season.
Nwangele local government area can boast of an appreciable number of institution and establishment, but the major ones are mentioned below;
- Nwangele local government headquarters
- The school of Nursing
- Access bank (Plc)
- Nigerian postal services (Nipost)
- Nigerian water co-operation.
The political structure of these areas under study is not very different from what is obtainable in other parts of t he country. The objectives for the creation of the local government area is singular to the general objectives for the creation of the local government area nation wide. These objectives are stated below:
- To promote grass-root democracy
- To promote grast-root development
- To bring the government never to the people
- Provision of social services
- To give the various communities a season of belongings.
- To allow for each zone to bring development through its activities.
1.1 Background Of Study
To understand the various concepts encapsulated in the topic, a scholar must embark on any research work, the researcher must have an aim and purpose why such research should be carried out.
The objectives of this research work are as follows, at the end of the research it would amount to: ascertaining the prefect “Staff training and development.
According to approaches to staff training and development, it is the process of professional officers in the services to develop job performance, for the achievement of strategic goals. According to Nze (2009) staff training and development include the following;
- Induction and Orientation at the entry point of the services and at the level of career advancement.
- The enlargement and enrichment through professional, technical, administrative, managerial and leadership training.
- Placing emphasis in the development of ethical competence.
- Use of best on the job and off-the-job training such as counselling, coaching, mentoring, delegation, secondments, job rotation conference, seminars, workshop etc.
- By granting study leaves, in-services training, sabbatical leaves, etc to employees.
- Periodic redeployment through pool system of after opportunities, in different contexts for officers to face fresh challenges in their job in order to enlarge their depth of knowledge and experiences.
- Use of performance appraisal to identify employees job related strength, developmental and training needs in public sectors.
- By organising conferences, workshop, sieving, exhibitions for employees.
- Through sponsoring attendance to conferences, workshop, seminars and exhibitions.
1.2 Statement Of Problems
The Nwangele local government area is largely seen as one of the catalyst for industrial development in Imo State.
These expectation resulted from the activities of the small-scale businesses in the area under study.
To achieve her industrial development objective for creating the local government area without the training and development in the staff institutions and other establishment in the area does more harm them expected good.
This study will try to identify whether is so much inefficiency in the institutions present in Nwangele local government area.
Also it will try to determined the reason for low productivity of workers in the area and their mobility to meet the leaving of the people of the area in terms of their goods and services.
1.3 Objectives Of Study
The following are the objectives for which research on the need for staff training and development in Nwangele local government area. Area is being undertaken by:
- In partial fulfillment of the requirement for the award of Higher National Diploma (HND), in public administration and management.
- To examine the prevalent inefficiency and effectiveness of workers in the institutions located in the area under study.
- To determine the major courses of low productivity of workers in Nwangele local government area.
- To examine various leading theories of staff training and development.
- To make recommendation base on its finding to these management levels in finding in the locality for a better, efficient and effective training programmes.
1.4 Research Questions
The following are the research questions:
- How do you train your staff?
- Has the efficiency and effectiveness of workers of your organisation improved after training?
- How is the training programme of your organisation meet the manpower development?
- How far has the training and development of your organisation affected promotion?
- Are you interested in further training and development of workers?
1.5 Statement Of Hypothesis
In presence of the objective of the research, the following hypothesis as regard the position of the research is formulated;
- Ho: Training and development activities do not help to improve the skills and technical competence of the worker in Imo State.
Hi: Training and development activities help to improve the stills and competence of the workers in Imo State.
- Ho: Adequate training and development have not given rise to efficiency in Imo State.
Hi: Adequate training and development has given rise to efficiency in Imo State.
1.6 Significant Of The Study
The quality of employee employed by an organisation, play dominant role on the quality of goods and services, that the organisation will produce. The significant of the study is therefore to enable workers in Nwangele local government area approached the need to employ qualified staff and given due recognition to training and development in order to achieve efficiency and effective result.
These study will also help us to permit out the major centralist that are likely to prevent the firms and institution in the area under study from achieve adequate training and development of staff in Nwangele local government area.
This will not only contribute to the role of personnel management as a discipline which is concerned with staff training and development but also how best staff of firm and institution could make themselves useful both their industrial and to the country at large.
The study would contribute to the need for contains pursuit to training and development particularly in the new world, whole changes in the terrain of science and technology is the talk of the day.
1.7 Scope Of The Study
In other to attain efficiency, this project is expected to look into the problem of the affect Nwangele local government.
In this vein, the focus is on staff training and development in the council area (Nwangele), if one really wishes to conduct a research work, which should stand the rest of time and worthy of academic proficiency, one’s area of coverage must be delineated as indicated above.
1.8 Limitations Of The Study
The researcher would have covered a wider area in the local government area and its development but as a result of some constraints, which the researcher will encounter. The following problems may pose hindrances.
For a research work to stand the test of time and worthy of academic proficiency, money must be involved to enable the researcher meet the enormous cost of carrying out the project. Since it will involve extensive travelling, photocopying of materials and typing to get more materials, which are not available.
This is a barrier the researcher may encounter. Understanding the people the researcher wishes to gather information from. Some may be reluctant to co-operate and while others may be re-friendly.
This is another limitation, which the researcher may encounter. Trying to meet up lectures with other appointments.
Other limitation that the researchers encountered are availability of materials in the library and disappointments from the side of the interviews.
1.9 Definition Of Terms
I am aware that this research work will be useful to different categories of people, ranging from student and follow citizen of this country in different work filed based on this, there are words that will be used frequently in this, familiar to users.
A Term Used By Max Webber To Describe what he called rational legal authority in which an individual power arise from the nature of his or her position, as prescribed by the organisation roles and procedures.
The name given to a particular individual or position for which the job holder will be hold accountable.
The process of introducing a new employees into their jobs with the aim of integrating the new comers as quickly and effectively as possible.
This is the lowest unit of administration to these lows and requisitions, the communities who live in a defined geographic area with common social and polities are subjects.
Small Scale Business:
This is a small business that controls small share of the market and therefore, constitute a little quote in the large small market.
This is the process of process scope for the acquisition of knowledge, which enables that beneficiary to achieve self improvement.
This is a process of attracting able and willing people into a firm.
5.0 Summary Conclusion And Recommendations
The work was set to investigate how staff training and development has helped to achieve the Imo State organization goals.
5.2 Summary Of Findings
The oral indicates that NITEL PLC, Onitsha agenized training and development programmers for its employees. Which are designed to give knowledge and skills to both managers that covers all careless of employees.
It also indicates that the company has a separates two training and development under the parented division of the company. The training and development department of the company operates two training schools, one in Lagos and offer in know. The personnel all over the country aim at acquisition the trainees with the company environment, policies and procedures are offered. The training schools also sponsor some of the staff for higher.
Former education to equip them for higher responsibilities. This is called in services training for instance, an account work with only secondary or commercial school education could be sponsored to a university/polytheism for further education so that he can be able to ensure higher responsibility.
In addiction, the training and development department also offer managers in the form of conference or lecture are organized by professional bodies such as Nigerian insulate of management (NIM).
Factors taken into consideration in deciding how much it cost to train employees includes:
- Cost to using external courses in term of course fees accumulation and travelling expenses.
- Cost of training materials and equipment, visited aids secretarial assistance and books.
- Cost of staff to carry out the training plan officers and instructions.
NITEL PLC Onitsha, utilizes in the job training method to train its operatives, for example the telethons and telegraph operators technicians, engineers, accountant and so on are trained on job. NITEL PLC, believes that operators has merely been educated theoretically and such should be trained practically on the job he/she is going to perform.
Moreover, operation of NITEL PLC Onitsha, are very complex and required a lot of skills so the operatives has to be trained. Specifically on the job, for example supervise technologic or technicians on the type of machines he will encounter in the performances of the duties.
Because of the feet that the managerial staff of NITEL PLC Onitsha, are always busy or do not have the necessary prolonged training, the organization sponsors their managers to conference where they compare notes with other managers in attendance.
For instance, when there is a conference of engineering, NITEL PLC senile their engineers to participate, professional association such as Nigerian institute of management are also invited to come and lecture there managers. In recent years, compulsory management training has been made a pro-condition on behalf of the organization so that the person will be well informed about changes in the environment.
Method Used By NITEL Plc Onitsha In Evaluating Their Employees Are:
- Comparison on performance before and after training and development
Feedback from the employee, supervisor is used to evaluate the effectiveness or impact of training the employees.
Companion of performance:
In this method the performance of the operatives and managers are compared before and after the training to feed out if there has been any improvement.
In this method, the organization parses out questionnaires to its operatives and managers at the end of their training and from their response, made.
Benefits of training and development to the organization and employees includes.
a) Higher productivity:
Training and development impacts more skills to perform their jobs, this enable the employee to perform better and increase their output.
b) More conference:
Training in the job skills impact more confidence on this employee in their ability to perform their job. Training may also qualify the employ for promotion to more responsibilities jobs.
The problem encountered by NITEL PLC (case study) in the excision of its training programme include;
- Lack of funds most time, the function available for training is too small for it proper execution, this force organization to economize and in the very impede the smooth execution of training and development.
- Lost time, ie when a manager or an operative is undergoing training the services le or she have rendered the organization is lost.
- Inadequate instruction: There is a shortage of well trained and experience instructors who well train the employee. As a results, the remaining instructors are over worked.
- Lack of equipment and materials: Most of the equipment and materials used in training are other inadequate or obsolete.
- Lack of time: Because the managers are always too busy the organisation resorts to sending them on short course which cost a lot of money.
Problem Of Evaluation Of Training Include:
- Shortage of staff to carryout the evaluation of the employees who have undergone training.
- Inadequate responses on the particular employees mainly the manager for example, when questionnaires are passed out at the end of training, must of them fall to full appropriately and return it.
Solution To Those Problem Include:
- Making more fund available for training and development purpose.
- More manpower should be employed training and evaluating employees.
- More control over training programme should be exerted, since this will help to make evaluation of training activity a more serious activity.
In most organisation, well planned implemented training and development programmes aid management and contribution to the realization of the goals of the organisation.
NITEL PLC Onitsha, carries out training and development programmes for its employees and its also has a department to carryout these programme. The organisation utilise training as an instrument for improving both the individual and organisation performance and efficiency.
NITEL PLC, should utilise training and development as a tool for motivating the employees and also proper compensation after training should be institute by the company to reduce frustration in the training staff, when they are not given official recognition of their higher pay or improve states after acquiring new skills, knowledge and attitudes.
The following are some recommendations which the researcher believes it considered and implemented will enhance the effectiveness of staff training and development in the company.
Need to utilised modern training and development method; management should endeavour to apply and reap the reward of the most recently develop training and development methods such as sensitivity trained role playing and in basket methods.
Training and development programmes should be geared toward accomplishment. Training and development programmes of any kind are useful, if only they are directed towards the accomplishment of the overall company’s objectives.
Create awareness of the importance of training and development: this should be done so that training and development will not be seen as a more formality but as part of success, achievement of object was and adaptation to environment changes.
The Need For Staff Training And Development In Imo State (A Case Of Nwangele Local Government Area)
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | +234-8143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- The Need For Staff Training And Development In Imo State (A Case Of Nwangele Local Government Area)
The complete material will be sent to your email address after receiving your payment information | T & C Apply
You may also like:
This research material “The Need For Staff Training And Development In Imo State (A Case Of Nwangele Local Government Area)” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “The Need For Staff Training And Development In Imo State (A Case Of Nwangele Local Government Area)” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.