Staff Recruitment Policies And Procedures In The Federal Civil Service (A Case Study Of National Population Commission)
Recruitment is the process of seeking and attracting prospective employee for the purpose of filling vacant position in an establishment. The study of recruitment policies and procedures in federal civil service become necessary when one observes the unconventional processes certain organizations adopt and the tension generated by recruitment eve …. Both in private and public sector of Nigeria state.
This work therefore set out whether recruitment in national population commission in particular in dependent on merit. It also identified the problems associated with recruitment and assesses the procedures adopted in recruiting workers in national population commission in particulars and federal civil service in general. To discover the trend of events in the scene and to uncover gaps in knowledge, a review of literature was carried out.
As a method of gathering data, a structured and close ended questionnaire was formulated, validated and administrated on a sample of 80 staff of national population commission, from level 01 – 17 these were all retrieved and analyzed using simple percentage. It was discovered that recruitment in national population commission was not based on merit it was equally discovered that the policies and procedures are good but its unplementation has much to be desired, as this was characterized by political interference and nepotism. It was recommended, inter allia federal character commission should be dissolved with quota system and that any recruitment that does not conform to the laid down procedures should be …
1.1 Background Of The Study
Staff recruitment is the bed rock and foundation of any organization. This is because their success or efficiency in service delivery depends on the quality of its work force who was recruited. Staff recruitment policies and procedures sets out, as far as possible that the best people are recruited on merit and that recruitment process is free from bias and discrimination.
Recruitment has been defined in various ways by various scholars. These definitions depends on the perspective of the author. According to Flippo (1976:1,2,3) it is the process of searching for prospective employees and stimulating them ot apply for jobs in an organization. It often turned positive because its objective is to increase selection ratio that is the number of applicant per job opening. An organization need to altract more candidates in other to increase selection ratio so as to select the most suitable out of all the candidates available . beach (1980:210) recognized recruitment as the development and maintenance of adequate manpower sources. It involves the creation of a pool of available labour from which an organization can draw whenever it requires additional personnel.
Igbodi (1990) extends this by seeing it as seeking and attracting prospective employees from which qualified candidates for the job can be selected. Ofoegbu (1985:2) says it is a mean of securing the right man for the right job. From the above it is obvious that recruitment is concerned with developing a pool of job candidate in line with the personnel plan and policies.
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
The researcher tries to point out those problems as sociated with staff recruitment of national population commission. Staff recruitment in the federal civil service has been a controversial issue in this country. This is because of high rate of unemployment, as a result certain recruitment processes, policies and recruitment problems have been abused.
The federal civil services in particular the national population commission has been faced with the problem of recruitment starts favouring family members or friends or known persons often with no regards to the persons suitability for the job.
Staff recruitment procedures of federal civil services have been faced with political interference, who is to be recruited.
The federal character has brought inverse lobbing in the federal civil service. Due to this, proper recruitment procedures and policies are not followed.
Recruitment in national population commission is not based on merit.
1.3 Objective Of The Study
The goal of recruitment policies and procedures is to regulate the activities of recruitment and to ensure that right people are recruitment. To achieve these objectives, the following have be pursued.
- to review the existing policies of national population commission.
- to find out the procedures used by national population commission.
- to know if recruitment is based on merit.
- to identify the problems associated with recruitment in national population commission.
The researcher questions for this study include:
- what are the recruitment policies of the national population commission
- what are the recruitment procedures of the national population commission?
- 3. what are the problems associated with staff recruitment in national population commission
- is recruitment carried out based on merit?
1.4 Statement Of The Hypothesis
the following hypothesis have been formulated to guide the researcher’s effort, they include the following:
- HO: national population commission does not have recruitment policies.
H1: national population commission has recruitment policies.
- HO: national population commission does not follow recruitment procedures.
H!: national population commission follows recruitment procedure.
1.5 Significant Of The Study
This research work will help in the following when completed.
- it will expose the problems associated with staff recruitment policy.
- it will equally create awareness among the staff of national population, as it will help them have a better understanding between them and management on recruitment issues.
- it will expose the inadequacies of recruitment polices.
- the research work will help the study and ordinary reader as it will provide an insight on various aspect of recruitment.
1.7 Scope Of The Study
The study in delimited to national population commission.
1.8 Limitation Of The Study
- The fear of infringing the act of secrecy makes a civil servant afraid of giving out information to the researcher especially when it concerns recruitment policies and procedures.
- poor altitude of respondents to questionnaire and financial barrier were limitations to the study.
- factor is another limiting factors. For a research work of this nature to be carried out along side with other academic activities like lecture and assignment time becomes alimenting factor.
1.9 Definition Of Terms
The following operational terms have been defined for clarity.
It is the process of filling vacancies by searching and appointment of applications into establishment.
This is the number of people available for work.
It is a doctrine or principle which ensures equal representation.
This is when an organization employ many staff in a particular department which may result to some staff having no office space provided for them.
This is when the total number of staff employed in equal to the total job available.
This maybe selective or per – selective through choosing among various sources of supply as well as the decision on which candidate should be permitted to go through subsequent screening procedures
5.0 Summary, Conclusion And Recommendation
at the end of the presentation of data obtained from the workers or lectures, a presentation of the summary of these findings were of great importance and of course a recommendation which the researcher thinks will be of help to the trade union, lecturers in federal polytechnic Nekede Owerri and higher institutions as well as students.
5.2 Summary Of Findings
it was discovered that all staff of the national population commission are still within the working age and are made up of male an female who have had formal education. The commission adopts the recruitment policies and procedures applicable to all federal ministers and parastatals. These include the policy of recruitment from internal and eternal sources and open competition. The selecting of only nationalist and application of the policy of federal character to the appointment of key officer. The advertisement of vacancies, short listing of qualified applicants, preselecting test, selection interview and offer of employment are laid down procedure for recruitment. Most of the worker in national population commission became aware of the existing vacancies through relations advert publications. Nepotism, fear to domination by a particular tribe and the effort to maintain federal character at the expense of merit all hinder a perfect recruitment exercise in the civil service in general and in national population commission in particular.
Based on the above findings, the following conclusions were made. The federal civil service has good recruitment policies and procedures that are capable of ensuring the recruitment of competent personnel in national population commission. The implementation of these activities are believes much to be desired as these activities are besieged with nepotism, political interference and the likes. Consequently, recruitment in national population commission is not dependent on merit.
The following recommendations are made to address the problems.
- The activities of federal civil service should be checked and recruitment of key officers should be based on the best qualified candidate, no matter where the candidates come from it should be no merit.
- Recruitment that does not conform to standard required procedures should be notified by the federal civil service commission irrespective of whether it is for junior senior staff.
- Federal civil service is expected to display maximum degree of transparency, honesty and integrity in discharging his duties as well as maintenance of high level of ethical and moral standard especially when it concerns recruitment matters.
- Enlightenment campaign on the need to see every Nigerians as Nigerians and not just tribe representatives. This will orientation Nigerians and direct their mind form negative thoughts about domination to positive thinking of what it will offer to the nation.
- The issue of federal character should be scraped because the principle has allowed meritocracy to be sacrificed at the alter of mediocracy.
How To Get The Complete Material For Staff Recruitment Policies And Procedures In The Federal Civil Service (A Case Study Of National Population Commission)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN CLIENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- Staff Recruitment Policies And Procedures In The Federal Civil Service (A Case Study Of National Population Commission)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To Your Email Address After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply