The Secretary And The Effectives Of New Office Technologies On Record Keeping Management In Institution Of Management And Technology, Enugu
A lot has been written by many authors about new office technologies and how they have immensely affected secretarial performance. This study was therefore conducted to find out the secretary and the effect of new office technologies on record keeping management in institute of management and technology, in Enugu. As a result of this, research question were formulated as follows: –
- Do the working environment of practicing secretaries have each of the new office equipment?
- Are the available new office equipment being put into effective use?
- What factors influence the availability or lack of these new office equipment?
- How are the job performance of secretaries affected by these new office machines?
It was concluded that the acquisition of new office technologies could make secretaries more effective in the performance of their duties. Based on these findings, the following recommendations were made.
- A reasonable purchase of these machines should be make for the practicing secretaries in Enugu.
- This establishment should be subsidized by the management to enable them purchase more of the machines.
- Stand-by generating plant should be purchased by these establishments that have power supply problems.
1.1 Background of the Study
Technological advancement has ushered in drastic changes in record keeping through the introduction of new office technologies and new methods of communication. Man is an embodiment of change, his life circle is marked with different stages of metamorphosis which when it finally actualizes, adulthood is made secretarial profession, an inseparable bed fellow of management no exception. The secretary has been defined as one entrusted with secrets or confidence of a superior, or employed to handle correspondence and manage, routine and detailed work for a superior.
Also Orisananya (1991) put it that, a secretary is a skilled and specialize type of employee in an establishment or part of it who is charged with some aspects of organizational functions in the unit including dealing with people’s correspondence and other business matters, with the above definitions, it can be deduced that the secretary is an important officer in any establishment and that the contribution and effectiveness of a secretary enhances the efficiency of an organization. This is the more reason that the secretary needs a proper training to be able to carry out her functions.
The training of an efficient and effective secretary should cover not any skills in shorthand and type-writing but also in other managerial skills. These skills should be backed up by appropriate demeanour and etiquette at all times. Evans (1980) noted that the secretary’s role will be supporting, but with the added requirement of technological knowledge will encompass data administration and information management, allowing the secretary to analysis complex situations and submit practical recommendation.
With the introduction of these new machines, people are trained to acquire new skill for operating them. It is therefore, noted that proper record keeping makes it easier for information to be retrieved for use with a lot of ease. This, of course, had tended to reduce the work lead of a secretary.
Even though a lot of charges have begun in technology, the question now is how to improve the secretary with the new office technologies for record keeping? The advantage of such purpose may be derive from the use of these new office technologies need not to be over-emphasized. Therefore, their presence and effective utilization is essential.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
An automated office, undoubtedly, offers new roles and responsibilities for the secretary. Such new roles presuppose that additional training and qualifications are required from the secretaries. The relevance of automation in business was identified by Aromolaran (2003) as follows;
- Creating a distinct career path for the secretary.
- Automation creates a prominent place for the secretary on the organization chart.
- It creates routine and assigned roles for the secretary.
- With automation the secretary now spends less time in correcting, revising, proof-reading and reproducing documents.
Cameron (1982), a very long time ago, commented that it takes up to 10 to 15 years between the introduction of new equipment in the market and its installation in small organizations. This is particularly peculiar to private business organizations in developing countries. In modern times, it is not uncommon to find some organizations still subjecting secretaries to the use of manual typewriters. When secretaries are not provided with efficient and effective working tools, productivity is definitely bound to be low.
Duniya (2011) also observed that due to the introduction of sophisticated technological (electronic) office equipment into today’s office and the role secretaries need to play in ensuring accuracy and efficiency in their jobs, the secretaries need to meet the challenges by acquiring new skills and competencies for efficient operations in the electronic office. There is continuous advancement in technology which has affected the secretarial profession in terms of the quality, speed and accuracy of works performed. This study is therefore undertaken in order to gain understanding about the secretary and the effectives of new office technologies on record keeping management.
1.3 Objective of the Study
The main aim of the study is to examine the secretary and the effectives of new office technologies on record keeping management.
The research aims at achieving the following objectives.1.
- To ascertain the range of new office technologies existent at the IMT.
- To investigate the level of usage of these new office technologies for record management keeping.
- To identify the level of productivity of the secretaries at IMT
1.4 Research Hypotheses
- Ho: new technologies are not used for record keeping in IMT
- Hi: new technologies are used for record keeping in IMT
- Ho: secretaries are less productive with new office technologies.
- Hi: secretaries are more productive with new office technologies.
1.5 Significance of the Study
Till date, just a handful studies have been published that looks at modern office technologies and secretaries’ productivity in Nigeria. This study intends to contribute to a greater comprehension of the subject of matter. From a practitioner’s perspective, the result of the study will provide a benchmark that can be used in assessing the effectiveness of the implementation of new office technologies in an office environment as well as define key productivity factors.
1.6 Scope and Limitation of the Work
This study is primary concerned with the secretary and the effectives of new office technologies on record keeping management. This study/project work covers Institute of management Technology Enugu. The researcher encountered some constraints, which limited the scope of the study. These constraints include but are not limited to the following
a) Availability of Research Material:
The research material available to the researcher is insufficient, thereby limiting the study
The time frame allocated to the study does not enhance wider coverage as the researcher has to combine other academic activities and examinations with the study.
1.7 Definition of Terms
A person employed by an individual or in an office to assist with correspondence, make appointments, and carry out administrative tasks.
Produced, introduced, or discovered recently or now for the first time; not existing before.
Office Technology is the study of a wide range of subjects related to careers in the modern office of today. This program provides the training necessary to perform successfully in the many and varied clerical, secretarial, and office administrative positions.
Record-keeping definition: the act or process of creating and maintaining records
1.8 Organization of the Study
This research work is organized in five chapters, for easy understanding, as follows
- Chapter one is concerned with the introduction, which consist of the (overview, of the study), historical background, statement of problem, objectives of the study, research hypotheses, significance of the study, scope and limitation of the study, definition of terms and historical background of the study.
- Chapter two highlights the theoretical framework on which the study is based, thus the review of related literature.
- Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study.
- Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding.
- Chapter five gives summary, conclusion, and recommendations made of the study
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
Much have been said by various authors about he effect of new office technologies and how the machines improve the effective and efficiency of secretaries and enhance the production of goods and services in an organization.
This study was therefore, conducted to find out the secretary and the effect of new office machines on record keeping in Enugu as it affects the performance of the duties of practicing secretaries. Also to know the factors that are militating against the non-acquisition and the likely effect brought upon them.
It is also acknowledged that increasing rate of technological development of secretaryship, is rapid, and fast, hence, it should be noted that the prolification of office and markets can never displace the secretary, but rather improve her job efficiency, effectiveness and productivity.
The importance of these new office machines cannot be over-emphasized as was testified by many secretaries. They are indispensable tools that help in providing organization with information that enhance their day to day activities. Although it should be forgotten that these machines have some side effects, all the same, the advantages out weighted its disadvantage. Efforts should therefore be made by these establishment in Enugu to acquire more of these machines to enable their secretaries practice effectively with them.
In the light of the findings the following recommendations are made:
- During the period of this study, it was discovered that though the establishment in Enugu have acquired some of these new office machines but the number are still not enough for practicing secretaries. The researcher is therefore, recommending that establishment in Enugu should purchase more of these machines because of the benefits derived from using them.
- It was also discovered that lack of funds was the major factors that hindered many of the establishment from acquiring these machines, the government should therefore, try to subsidize these establishment to enable them purchase these machines.
- Secretaries should also be made computer literates in order to make effective use of these machines.
- Furthermore, those establishments that have power supply problem should endeavour to have standby generating plants so that switch over to the plant whenever there is power failure.
- Finally, the public should stop having the notion that the introduction of new office machines would render secretaries redundant in the future, rather it is creating job opportunities.
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦5,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731
|Acc No: 1225513212
|Acc No: 8143831497
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS
|Make Payment of 120 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Cloud Osabutey | MTN MoMo
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: The Secretary And The Effectives Of New Office Technologies On Record Keeping Management In Institution Of Management And Technology, Enugu
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply