The Roles Of Leadership In Management Of An Organisation (A Case Study Of Michael Imodu Institute Of Labour Studies, Ilorin)
Table of Contents
- Title page
- Table of contents
- 1.1 Statement of the Problem
- 1.2 Objective of the study
- 1.3 Significance of the study
- 1.4 Research question
- 1.5 Scope of the study
- 1.6 Limitations of the study
- 1.7 Definition of terms
- 2.1 Various Leadership style in business
- 2.1.0 Democratic leadership style
- 2.1.0 Autocratic leadership style
- 2.1.1 Bureaucratic leadership style
- 2.1.2 Laisez fair leadership style
- 2.2 Function of management
- 2.2.0 Planning
- 2.2.1 Organizing
- 2.2.2 Controlling
- 2.2.3 Co-ordinating
- 2.3 The function of leadership in the management of an organization
- 2.4 leadership skills
3.0 Research Methodology
- 3.1 Historical background of Michael Imodu Institute of Labour Studies
- 3.2 Development of questionnaire
- 3.3 Population
- 3.4 Sampling
- 3.5 Instrument used
- 3.5.1 Personal interview
- 3.5.2 Document sources
- 3.5.3 Personal observation
- 3.6 Method of data analysis
4.0 Data Presentation and Analysis
- 4.1 Introduction
- 4.2 Respondents by the level of education
- 4.3 Standard of performance
5.0 Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
- 5.1 Summary
- 5.2 Conclusion
- 5.3 Recommendations
Leadership has been defined as the process of influencing the activities of an individual or a group efforts towards goal achievement in a given situation. In essence, leadership involves accomplishing goals with and through people. Therefore, a leader must be concerned about tasks and human relationships.
A survey of leadership theories and research has pointed out that leadership can be defined as the process directing and influencing the task – related activities of group members.
According to Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary, a leader means a person or thing that leads.
By general definition, leadership may be said to be calling of person to respond to the needs of people around him, so as to direct and influence their behaviour towards the attainment of the needs of the people. It could be inferred that person who emerges as a leader is who is able to perceive the intricacies of problems at a level and at a wider range. In addition to the perception of problem intricacies, the leader needs to be visionary and capable of proper solution to problems.
A leader needs the exhibition of sense of commitment and this make him the servant of his people. This commitment will drive such a person as far as it is necessary, also to use all his God given talent qualities to achieved his target goals.
In the annals of human records, the first leader comply with this definition was Moses in the book of Exodus in the Holy Bible. Moses saw the need of people to be librated from the bondage of slavery in Egypt and to be transported through the wilderness characterized by loneliness and even harder suffering than those in bondage, to the ultimate vision of a promised land”.
Moses vision and Zeal for achievement never left throughout the 40 years, he was with the Isrealites in the wilderness when they grew impatient of his leadership style.
Leadership can be said to be a process of influencing others to act to accomplish specified objectives. It consists of interpersonal influence exercised in a situation and directed by means of communication process towards the attainment of a specified goals. The effective leader gets other to act in a manner he desires. He may compel them to action by any of the numerous devices, persuasion to serve their society because they have broader perception and vision future event than any other person at a particular time.
A leader must transmit his passions and exhortations to his followers by the process of communication. Among the objectives, the leader seeks the group to accomplish may be those of the larger organization, as when the foreman compel his work force to increase production to meet schedules set by the top management. It should be emphasized that the leader of a group in a formal organization has the dual objectives of representing the interest of his group to higher management, and of getting his subordinate to work for the goals of the enterprise as a whole. The problem of leadership is further complicated, due to the fact that individuals within his groups of followers may process varied and conflicting goals.
1.1 Statement of the Problem
Leadership has always been a vital tool, and it plays an unquantifiable role on the administration of business organization. Leadership when properly administered has helped in increasing performance of business organization. This fact has been due to the contributive roles which the concept of leadership plays such as coordinating, directing and administering of business activities in the top management function of the organization to the lower echelon or rank.
Based on the belief in the idea of leadership on organization performance, series of problem will be resolved. Problem like how leadership contributed to the management quality and effectiveness of Michael Imodu Institute of Labour Studies, Ilorin.
Another area of problem is to what extent has leadership helped in shaping the structure and development of the case study. The work will central on how has leadership has been adopted as a tool for unifying the management and the organization as a whole.
1.2 Objectives of the Study
The objectives of this research work are the goals which the case study stands to derived from this exercise. This research aimed at achieving the following objectives.
- To measure to what level has leadership played the predetermined role in the management of the organization or otherwise
- To ascertain the level of acceptance of the leadership style being adopted by the case study.
- To determine the disposition of the employees of the labour institute to the leadership in place.
- To determine whether leadership contribute considerably to the organization performance as a whole.
- To determine whether Michael Imode relies more on leadership as management tools.
1.3 Significance of the Study
On the completion of this research work, the report would be a valuable asset to the case study and to the business environment generally in these following ways:
Business or organization will be able to determine the suitable mechanise for smooth running or in managing an organization.
- The suitable or preferred leadership style for managing an organisation can be easily determined.
- Organization with existing leadership in their management will be able to do appraisal of their leadership performance.
- The roles of leadership in the management of an organisation will be defined and explained to bring out the benefits if there are any.
- It will serve as a source of secondary data for there seeking such an the topic of leadership as it affect management in an organisation.
1.4 Research Question
In the course of the study and based on the literature that will be reviewed, two research question would be formulated and adopted in order to provide answers to the research. How to establish.
The relationship between leadership style and employees performance.
Research Question 1
Is the standard of performance of employee determined by objective leadership style?
The objectives of the question is to set emphatically whether leadership determines the standard of performance of employee.
Is the democratic style more effective that the authoritarian style?
The objective of this question is to very which style of leadership is more effectives in drawing out utmost performance in the employees.
1.5 Scope of the Study
The scope of this study will cover four major area namely:-
The time scope of this study represents the donation with which this work needs to be completed. The research work will cover a period of an academic sessions since it is in partial fulfillment of the requirement of an honour in the Business Administration Department.
The coverage of this study centres on an organisation based in Ilorin Metropolis. Based on the location of the organisation, all contributive factors to the success of the research work is subject to events of Ilorin alone.
The industrial scope of this work cuts across both profit and non-profit making establishing. The report of this research can come handy in profit making organisation whom deem it fit or sees the need to adopt Michael Imodu Labour Institute style do leadership in running the management.
1.6 Limitations of the Study
The limitations of this study are the difficulties encountered during the course of carring – out the research work.
The limitations include;
The time given or allocated for this research is not adequate for work of this magnitude, coupled with the fact that the researcher needs to do other academic obligations simultaneously.
Lack of Adequate Found / Finance:
Research being an exercise that require a huge amount of money, and due to the financial state of the researcher, most students find this hard to overcome. This makes the research a statement one.
There are some ritual information that are relevant to the success of this study which the organisation management classified as secrets. The top secret which they claim is to protect the integrity and the image of the organisation pose limitation to the study.
Uncooperative Attitude of Respondents:
Some of the respondents gave answer that are either inadequate, inconsistent or practically refused to provide answer to come question which they regards as confidential and must not be revealed.
1.7 Definition of Terms
There are divergent views to the definition of leadership, but leadership in this context has to do with that of an organisation.
According to Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary, leadership is a group of leaders of a particular organisation. The definition centers around those at the helm of managerial affairs on an organisation as in the case of leadership at the Michael Imodu Institute of Labour Studies, Ilorin. The essence of leadership evolves on certain qualities or abilities that distinguish a leader from his subordinate. Leadership emphasized a position that put one in situation to give out instruction order to one’s subordinates.
Leadership can be defined also as the process of influencing the activities of an individual or a group in efforts towards goal achievement in a given situation.
This is the act of running and controlling a business organization. It could also be defined as the process of planning, organizing, coordinating, budgeting, reporting, controlling and staffing to accomplish organizational goal through the coordinated use of human and material resources.
Oxford Advance Learner’s Dictionary define management as the act or skill of dealing with people or situation in a successful way. It means that management is the ability to carry others along and coordinate the variety of ideas in an organisation.
An organisation can be defined as too or more people working together in a coordinated manner to achieve group results.
According to dictionary meaning of organisation, it can be described as a group of people who form a business in order to achieve a particular aims. This definition points the fact that organisation which is the coming together of different people for a reason which can either be for profit maximization, break even, to provide social services at a reasonable rate which does not necessary emphasize profit – making organisation also means the way in which different parts of something are arranged. Business set-up consist of different part, the arrangement of these different parts in logical manner to suit the motive for setting it up, gives it the organisation status.
5.0 Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
To sum it up in a few words, what has been said in chapter 1,2,3 and 4 leadership needs himself and the people he leads with the organizational goal. If this is done such people will grow with the organization.
Many of the concepts of true leaders are based on religion origin, and these morals concept guide a prosperity undering of the society.
Two of the very which i will quote are:
- The moral law must govern economic, life, science economical problems are not only technical, but also theological and ethical, because their ultimate solution depend on concepts of man and his relationship to God in follow man.
- The second concept which is relevant to international and multination organisation is the fact that international economic life is also subject to moral law. From the quotations, it is obvious that professionals, lead or manages in modern day organisation needs not to selling soul for bread and butter unlike polities, the greatest sacrifice he has to make for his leadership, where he base himself on moral concepts which gives him happen and self realization and self actualization, is not a loss that can be reflected in the loss of some degree of social level and perhaps a reduction in his monetary income.
At present, individual leader must look beyond the objective of particular organisation, group tribes colour nation race or groups of companies. They are lead to much higher level vision of one united and individual human race, no matter how great the apparently shorted sighted and short term economic interest may be.
Leadership, and industries can never be separated from personal qualities, traits, knowledge and skill of individual leaders can not be separated from his sense of value. His moral concepts the ethics and spiritual, awareness. Looking from annual of history and from all have said, leadership in industry has undergone three changes from autocratic to bureaucratic leadership. In the area of professional leadership, for the purpose of dynamic management, various styles of leadership are used for various individual or group, depending on the particular accession or circumstance. This various styles of leadership all put together to determine the professional manager and what we call dynamic management. If anyone wonders why I have deceived into history of regulation and politics, it is because the purpose of leadership industry is to provided services satisfaction for the need of man and as such the area of religion of society of the need of man and such the area separated from the needs.
Its much more in sharp focus in our time that economic determine polities and that polities can never be separated from economic. Therefore, leadership in industry or organisation activating will be in computer.
The effective manager needs to avoid managerial obsolesce, and in doing this, he has to know that the environment in which we are living in is a dynamic one, which means, that everything keep on changing including all field of human endeavour as such, he has to keep pace with certain institute him like.
- Centre for Management Development (CMD) established in 1973.
- The Administration Staff College of Nigeria (ASCON) established in 1973 by Degree no 39.
- Institution of higher learning like polytechnic and university.
- The Nigeria Council for Management Education and Training (NACMET).
- The Industrial Training Fund (ITF established in 1971 by degree no 47) .
They could even make consultation with oversea institute if privileged.
- Most of the training and development programmed in Nigeria do not get adequate support from top management. It is usually assumed that it is the sole responsibility for workers but this should not be “idea” situation. It is therefore very important that top management especially the bread of direct.
- It should however be noted that where there should be sound manpower development programme. The number of workers who benefits it restricted. This is because manpower development programmed are expensive, and most organisation is preferred to avoid the cost. These organisation should also have in mind that investment in human resources are very wise investment. Therefore, it is recommended that training and development opportunities should be provided to as many employee as possible, covering all level of the organisation.
- Evaluation of manpower and leadership progrmme is another area that is recommended by this project organization should check staff quitting the programme half way and those that excels in order to ensure that manpower development objective are met.
- An organisation after spending some substantial amount of their risk losing them to another organisation. This happen often in the public sector organization, there may be need for beneficiaries of such programme to sign a written agreement specifying the minimum time period he would serve the sponsoring organization before he can leave, if he wishes.
- Management training should be encourage and this is concerned with practices aspect of management have it is recommended that such training should involved the application of knowledge and skill in handling management problem. The emphasis on management training is the ability to apply management techniques in achieving organisation goals and objectives. Training can contribute goals, fewer mistake grater job satisfaction higher turnover, higher production, and the ability to cope with environmental changes i.e. political economics technology demographical etc.
- Some training and development programme are time consuming the post training performance with the objective expected by managers, trainee, trainer and the organisation as whole, it is from this careful critical analysis that we can know. What improvement can be made to the training procedure is order to reduce cost and improve efficiency.
- Finally, there is consequence difference between the words of the leader and his action between his spoken ideal and is deed. Such leaders sonners that not loose fellowship because they loss credibility comes form failure to reconcile action with spoken idea “By their deeds shall you know them” was what Jesus Christ said in the new testament, and in his the most true and revealing test of good leadership. So it is recommended that leader reconcile this gap keep it reconciled never to be existence again.
How To Get The Complete Material For “The Roles Of Leadership In Management Of An Organisation (A Case Study Of Michael Imodu Institute Of Labour Studies, Ilorin)“
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: The Roles Of Leadership In Management Of An Organisation (A Case Study Of Michael Imodu Institute Of Labour Studies, Ilorin)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply
List of Related Works
The Relationship Between Leader Core Self-Evaluations, Team Feedback, Leader Efficacy, Transformational Leadership, Team Efficacy, Team Goals, Team Action And Transition Processes, And Team Performance