The Roles Of Advertisement In Nigeria Banking System (A Case Study Of Skye Bank Plc)
1.1 Background of the Study
As human approaches 21st century with it owe-inspiring problems and opportunities company’s institutions and nations continually centre their attention on the growth of marketing sectors. In the years gone by there had been agrarian economy where people were self sufficient. With time however, division of labour set n contemporary society have now evolved specialized sectors as the banking sector the focus of this research work.
The immense of marketing in the banking sectors has for long been obvious what more there in Nigeria content with the coming of colonials along with their European culture featuring the establishment of African Banking Corporation in 1892. Then, it was shouldered with the function of distributing England notes (pounce sterling) in 1894. Commercial Banking activities began when Bank of British West Africa (BBWA) now First Bank of Nigeria Plc began operation in Lagos. Among many other banks that commence they were bank of America also known as Savana Bank then before liquidation as is well as Skye Bank Plc.
From the onset these banks have to rival the pre-existing traditional institution using. The fad of that time was News paper and radio which gave these banks competitive over the traditional institutions of using via advertisement. This seems a form of marketing communication to stimulate sales.
At this point, the emphasis of the pre-dominance of banks and other related financial intermediaries as commercial banks mortgage institutions e.t.c. is quite observable in any economic development of importance arc the laudable role they play in saving mobilization and surveyors of credits like every other business enterprises, they as well parade some product and services ‘which contribute to the economy of any country.
The Product Range Includes:
- Personal Loans
- Overdraft Loans
- Project Finance
- Loan Syndication
- Share loan Scheme
Financial Advisory Services
- International Banking
- Dominance Accounts
- Specialized Schemes
- Agricultural Finance
- Housing Loan Schemes
- Warehouse Finance
In as much as bank keep on offering their products and services they need to undertake special efforts to inform and persuade potential market towards patronizing in their favour. However, the evolving circumstances have posed many challenges on banks management. In the 1970’s the idea of rural banking scheme laws introduced by the Central Bank to discourage the inclination of banks toward urban orientation during the course to the ripple in the sake of this policy, the market place ‘was stirred by aggressive selling through serious advertisement medium undertaken by banks then Radio took the lead in the different media because of its fastest reach than other in rural areas.
It was not until the 1980’s and afterward that marketing made its full entrance into banking operation in Nigeria the Federal Military Government put up failed bank noted as well that the introduction of SAP Structural Adjustment Programme in 1986 played a positive role in increasing the number of banks, the reason is in the objectives of SAP, for its desire was to deregulates the economy and achieve economy recovery through the interplay of monetary satiable like money supply, interest rates etc hence by 1997. the number of licensed banks had gone up to 120 (excluding the development of specialized banks like NIDC, NBCI, NACB) the people banks finance houses e.t.c observable in this step increase in banks number is the entrance of new generation banks. Therefore, with this high number of stiff competition becomes the plight of banks.
The traditional big four had their domination, United Bank for Africa, Union Bank, First Bank and Skye Bank changed offered cheque encashment, saving deposit e.t.c and high tech marketing communication of course their regulations were inter put up but already the wheels of high tech advertisement has been set rolling and the role it plays, as marketing communication medium is immeasurable. Actually, advertisement is regarded as the marketing press visible feature in any form of non-personal presentation of product service or ideas by an identical sponsor is referred to as advertisement. These advertisement could either be on Radio, Television, Newspaper, Magazines, Billboard e.t.c. it can further be said that advertisement is investment which is properly conceive and executed that bring gratifying returns.
1.2 Statement of the Problems
Banking business and the banking industry generally faced with certain problems in marketing their banking services. Among these problems are:
- Low quality product (service):- the quality so services provided by the financial institutions (banks) these days are very low quality.
- Inadequate promotional activities:- promotional activities like advertisement and publicity are still lacking people have not been quality enough on packages available from these financial institution.
- Unappealing price:- users of the services of the bank usually consider the prices charged by these institutions for their services not appealing.
1.3 Research Questions
The focus of this topic is to identify the effects and role of advertisement in Nigeria Banking Industry. Hence in the cause of the study effort has been made to find solution to the following problem.
- What is the historical background of role and advertisement in Nigeria banking industry?
- What are the developments of advertisement?
- What are the main purposes of advertisement?
- What are the various advertisement media?
- What are the implications for the banking industry?
1.4 Objectives of the Study
The starlight of this research study is focused on the role played by advertisement stimulating demand for bank service and related products. It is on the premise of marketing communication that this study precedes. Actually banks adopts the concept and practices of marketing the quality of promotional communication to the market increase media base expands message context changes and responsibility for bank communication tends to rest with specialist.
With the globalization of business activities around the world the banking industry face more challenges the industry has been involving a number of strategies in order to effectively manage market and improve its banking service getting increasing tense that business organizations are seeking to gain the attention and ultimately the patronage of customer/customers.
Banking business and the banking industry generally in Nigeria has witness some changes and or improvement in the nature scope structure and method of doing business more so in the past two decades. Similarly the banking public for services all these changes have impliedly brought about new culture altogether from this premise the following underlined the motive of this study
- How to identifying the various types of advertisement applicable in marketing communication in banking operation (industry).
- Investigating the appropriate of advertisement and its chose types of the basic business mission which shapes and guided their strategies actions.
- Calculating advertisement strategies considering the variable in the market environment predominant in the issues.
From the above, the study shall be useful to the extent that it will help marketers to determine expected sales return from advertisement expenditures. As well it shall assist in the determination on appropriate marketing mix that optimize sales and reduces marketing expenditure more so, considering the extent to which advertisement is intended to.
1.5 Research Hypothesis
The general hypothesis that will be tested in the course of this project is as follows:-
- Ho: The Roles of advertisement has no correlation with profitability and efficiency in Nigeria banking system.
- Hi: The Roles of advertisement has correlation with profitability and efficiency in Nigeria banking system.
1.6 Significance of the Study
This section will examine the significant of this study in respect to surrounding circumstances. Noticeable light will be throw on such issue how does advertisement add to good and service the increasing interference of government as a shareholder in banks and their operation e.t.c
In the recent past precisely the past decade the banking industry has been witnessing a transition from being provides of a limited range of customer and specialist service such as current and saving account in banks to a broader provision of financial services. Hence, there has been a convergence of the laps and range of financial services which they promote and sell; universal banking and ordinance enacted by federal government gives legal banking to this hence the competition in the wake of this de development as merchant bank now introducing and marketing services initial the domain of commercial banks such as IMB’s Intercontinental.
Diamond fund and NAL’s previous earning paper (PEP) this development points to one thing that banks especially commercial banks have to be innovative and responsiveness hence the new trends of separate marketing department with efforts concentrated on marketing communication advertisement.
The business environment especially banking business of today is changing very fast, it is demanding for more profits improve customer’s turnover of its teen resources as well as setting vision of breakthrough performance in competitive environment. The conclusion significance attributable to this study
Is the imperative application by which government ensures conformity to guidelines as stated by Central Bank of Nigeria emphasis of the need for a study of advertisement in case study of this research discuss is strictly adherence to this regulation.
1.7 Scope and Limitation of the Study
The scope covers marketing department to know how to generate more income to the bank through the advisement also the aims and objective of the study make us understand how important is the advertisement in Nigeria banking sector is important, if a bank place on advert, it will make to have more customer and the customer what is there in the banking services and it also encourage the customer to patronized the bank
The scope of the studs stretches the entire activities undertaken in the marketing department within the range of marketing communication as of recent; banks are ruffling over one another in establishing marketing department to oversee customers patronage stimulation programme precisely, this study consist of five chapter in which the chapter one considers background information of the study.
The aims and objectives of the study is judiciously explained as well in first chapter within the same chapter the scope of the study i.e. its limitation and justification of the study were also discussed
Chapter two seek to review the literature with respect to both published and unpublished materials like Journal, textbook, Articles as other sources were also taken into consideration of this area also cover the definition of advertising the advert of marketing in banking industry as well as considering the event promoting the need. All these concepts of advertisement message media target market controlling factors are all clearly studied from the premise of the study role of advertisement in banking industry.
The research methodology and its all tools of instrument of gathering relevant information was introduced in chapter three. A details is taken on how the studs will proceed either will be administered, effort is taken to highlight all the aspect of its anal sis. Basically the sample design definition and selection procedure for data collection measuring instruments and techniques for data analysis are all explained before proceeding to chapter four where the analysis w ill he taken
The chapter four is the data analysis interpretation and discussion section in chapter four here, the analysis of the data collected were analyzed, the analysis will be in such way that it covers the view opinion and established fact from the employee marketing department staff the intermediaries as in the case of agency relationship and the customer. Intra as frequency reaches it cetera will be tested as to choice of advertisement in checking the clearness appropriateness achievement of the role played by advertisement in a medium of marketing communication.
Finally, chapter five sums up the facts gotten in the summary of the data collected conclusion and recommendations. Here the opinion and view will be propose from those premises recommendation will be made.
This stated the types of data to be collected on the sources. What instrument to be used for data cot lee ii and data analysis. The topic is role of advertisement in Nigeria banking industry with emphasis on sky Bank of Nigeria Plc.
The instrument to be employed to collect the primary sources which include questionnaire and interview while secondary include text books, internet, journal, current annual report etc.
The primary data are obtained directly through face-to-face interview, observation and questionnaire sampling, population are the staff and customer of Skye Bank Nigeria Plc while both description and inferential statistics has been employed to present and analyze the data collected.
1.8 Definition of Words
Advertisement is very important in used to communicate both with customer and other business are the ultimate consumer of a product or if other business play an important role in getting the product to the consumer.
Advertisement can be using media such as television, newspaper, radio and magazine is impersonal.
Economic development is very importance are the laudable role that play in saving mobilization and surveyors of credits like other business enterprises, the> also as “.sell parade some product and services which contribute to the economics of the country.
Banks make some impact to contribute their effort the agricultural finance, by keep on offering their product and services they need to undertake special effort.
1.9 Plan And Organisation of the Study
This spells out the organization structure of the topic with a brief not or summary of what expected in each chapter. it is divided into five chapters, each chapter contain the following:
- Chapter one will have the background of the study, statement of the research problem, aim and objectives, justification for the study, scope and limitation of the study, research methodology and organization of the study.
- Chapter two will treat theoretical framework meaning and historical background of advertisement in Nigeria banking industry development of advertisement objective of advertisement various advertisement media implication for the banking industry.
- Chapter three discusses brief history of the case study research methodology sample design source of data procedure for data collection and techniques of data analysis.
- Chapter four centres on the data analysis interpretation and discussed data collection and personal data analysis.
- Chapter five will discuss the findings, summary, conclusion and recommendations.
5.0 Findings, Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
The following findings were made in the course of the study
- The deposit money bank limited the scoped of their marketing concepts to advertisement until recently when is related with other marketing mix as a result of high information technology.
- The product economic predicament, the deregulation of financial sector and the various government programmers have made bank to embark on extensive persuasive and informative advertisement. These banks over go into equipment financing as a means of promoting industrial and technological development
- Thirdly, the various views as shared by the for motive on the various advertisement campaigns were inquired into, thereby hypothesis were put up precisely with respect to crucial area as demographic feature of adverts audience, occupation as shown population character as literacy and their precise view of the various slogans furthermore, emphasis on the research hypothesis goes thus:
- The first research question post attempted at establishment relationship which possible exist between demographic feature and the patronage of the customers at Skye bank plc. Certainly. It can be deducted from the outcome of the chi-square that correction does not exist between these two hence, it often the case that occupation as a factors does not prompt sales from advertisement campaign.
- Secondly, chi-square was employed in ascertain the possible relationship between the research questionnaire respondents literacy level as a factor of advertisement and the sales effect on the bank account from the data analysis is can be noted that there exist a positive correction between literacy and a factor necessitating the effects of advertisement and the product of Skye bank as account current, saving and fixed account. Also, the targets of the adverts are implored to assign their views of the various advertisement slogans. They are place against their patronage of the account type as being sold services and rendered by Skye bank plc. The bank affects the responses of the target market toward sales stimulation.
The bank marketing plan should include proper identification of what really motivate the customer caplet (1971) carries out a survey tagged identify and compare attributes.
That makes people select a bank attribute that Featured conspicuously include banks reputation location availability of the credit facilities of friendless services change full services offering special service influence of friend etc. an overall marketing communication plan should take all these into account.
The subject matter of the study was not only to examine the roles of advertisement in banking industry but to further ascertain the importance of the underlying factors. As well the marketing mix in banking industry its braise adoption and application are elaborated.
This study is undertaken mainly with focus on its application in deposit money banks on which skye bank plc is one. As marketing come into banks not in the form of the marketing concept but in the form of the concept and practice of quality of promotional communication to the market increasing explanation of media base message contact changing etc.
With all these, from the foreign exposition earlier responsibility for bank marketing communication tends to rest with specialist. Noticeable target banns have decentralized the media and the message decision to advertising officers.
In a nutshell, this study as is centrally focus on role of advertisement in banking industry should have its attention motive and sales motive. This assertion is in accordance to what is the basic reason that prompted this research work.
It is with this that the effectiveness of whatever advertisement can be appreciated and as well obviously result oriented from the preceding chapter, effects have been to ensure appropriate coverage of all fundamental steps in advertisement management. There are what Stephen a tryser called the SM’s of advertisement.
- Market: whom, what public are trying to reach
- Media: how do we reach them-him/her
- Message: what do we say themes and copy to each of them.
- Money: how much do you spend in advertisement campaign?
- Measurement: how well we are doing when w evaluate the other elements
In drafting of the questionnaire, special emphasis is put on market identification and media strategy such means pre-pointed to buy engines made into them are as follows:
Research findings have shown that, for a bank too have a competitive edge in its two markets that is wholesale and retail their marketing plans, should be built around marketing needs. In this wise it is however, not only the market need in bank areas. Moreover, the planning of the many advertisement must reflect not only the economic and demographic character of its market segment but also their attitude and values particular to them.
The mainly effect the characteristics area as choice of media house, the message content, identify, the target audience. In the light of forging and finding in this study number of recommendations should be made to the management of Skye bank plc, Ilorin to evaluate and further show can be the sales of advertisement as well measure their appropriateness.
Foremost, the incorporation of marketing variable in banks planning is inevitable noticeable, this ensure the balancing of market opportunities bank resources and competitive positive in the interest of growth profitability management especially should always put the inherit, mainly the views as shared by customer whatever they are involved in carrying an advertisement.
This is so since the customers represent those that are targeting in the advertisement exercise. This was the basis of the section B of the questionnaire. This is so because of the section
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: The Roles Of Advertisement In Nigeria Banking System (A Case Study Of Skye Bank Plc)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply