The Role Of Women Cooperatives In Rural Women Economic Empowerment (A Case Study Of Selected Women Co-Operatives In Aboh Mbaise Local Government Area)
The role of women cooperatives in rural women economic empowerment (a case study of selected women co-operatives in Aboh Mbaise LGA). Data was generated by questionnaires distributed among registered cooperative societies and government policies in rural areas. Cooperative has contributed by providing farm inputs to rural area.
Table Of Contents
- Title Page
- Table Of Contents
- 1.1 Background Of The Study
- 1.2 Statement Of The Problem
- 1.3 Objective Of The Study
- 1.4 Research Questions
- 1.5 Significant Of The Study
- 1.6 Scope Of The Study
- 1.7 Limitation Of The Study
- 1.8 Definition Of The Terms
2.0 Literature Review
- 2.1 The Concept Of Rural Development
- 2.2 Women In The Economy
- 2.3 Women In Nigeria Co-Operative
- 2.4 The Importance Of Women In Rural Development
- 2.5 Women In Small Scale Co-Operative Industries
- 2.6 Women Co-Operative Education As A Base For Rural Development
3.0 Research Design And Methodology
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Research Design
- 3.3 The Population Of The Study And Determination Of The Sample Size
- 3.4 Sources Of Data
- 3.5 Method Of Data Analysis
- 3.6 Pattern Of Distribution Of Questionnaire
- 3.7 Validation Of Research Instrument/Reliability Of The Research Instrument
4.0 Data Presentation And Analysis
- 4.1 Introduction
- 4.2 Presentation Of Data
- 4.3 Analysis Of Data
- 4.4 Interpretation Of Results
5.0 Findings, Recommendations And Conclusion
- 5.1 Summary Of Findings
- 5.2 Conclusion
- 5.3 Recommendations
1.1 Background Of The Study
The lack of data on the level of involvement of women in the economy, activities in Nigeria had made it impossible to assess roles and contribution towards the economic growth of Nigeria.
Though women contribute over 80% of the national food supply, their economic power are still limited. They have limited access to ownership of land sand housing limited participation in national building. Women empowerment and their roles are determined by the society and also by the societal perception.
One cannot therefore overemphasize the important role which cooperative movement can play on the lives of women in nigeria especially in this era of food shortage and economic depression. This present study goes on to investigate the contribution of cooperative society in the economic empowerment of women and the problem militating against the participation of women in the cooperative society with a view of making recommendation
one of the constraints of rural women’s economic advancement in nigeria has been blamed by the school of thought, one of the inability of nigeria women to embrace cooperative way of doing business, hellen (1965).
This is because cooperative is one of the most effective vehicle for organizing rural production. Cooperative is not only the suitable organizational frame work for accelerated rural development but also they are veritable instrument for assisting women in the achievement of increased output of farm products.
for instance, in the procurement of farm inputs like fertilizers, improved seedling credits as well as in the product shortage and marketing.
The international banking mission which studies and reported on the nigeria economy in 1954 appreciated this unfavourable social climate when they sustained that full support should be given to the cooperatives as vehicle for economic development. For it is the form of economic organization fully compatible with nigeria traditions and social sentiment, onuoha (1978). This amplifies the need to establish cooperatives more especially among rural women. However giving the fact that nigeria is a developing nation oriented on the principle of capitalism, the question then is how can these women cooperative, social, educational, cultural and political status of their fellow women. The enthusiasm and the spirit with which the rural women embrace the formation of cooperatives in nigeria especially aboh mabaise local government area in imo state has shown that women are developing conscious.
They are quite willing and dispose to pull their resources together in order to improve their earnings, power and their standard of living. The emergence of better life programme for rural women in (1999) was of the greatest factors in nigeria history which was awoken the consciousness of the nation on the great potentials of women folk and integrated into the solid economic mainstream. This programme has fully mobilized rural women emancipated them intellectually. It also served as forum to mobilize women for the resolution of their social economic problems. This programme did not last due to the change in government and was taken over by the family support programme (FSP).
1.2 Statement Of The Problems
Modern women co-operative were to cater for the social economic need of the people and rural developments but their many problems are economic and social problems and most cases educational, poor participation of women in co-operative activities irregular attendance to cooperative meetings, illiteracy among women in cooperative society. Women members of the society are either illiterate or have very low level of education.
Lack of experience: the women have little or no experience in running the cooperative business enterprise. This makes their financial contribution very small, the women have management skills.
1.3 Objectives Of The Study
The study formulates the following specific objectives:
- To Study The Socio-Economic Characteristics Of The Members Of Women Cooperative Society In Aboh Mbaise Local Government Area.
- To Evaluate The Contribution Of Women Cooperative To Rural Women Economic Empowerment.
- To study types of cooperative and economic activities carried by women cooperatives in empowering it members in aboh mbaise.
- To study the service of funds of these cooperatives.
- To identify the problems facing the women cooperatives in empowerment of its members.
- To make quality recommendation based on the findings.
1.4 Research Questions
Research question is a statement about any set of phenomena, which is capable of being confirmed with available facts. In the case of this research work, the following research questions shall be invested:
- What are the socio-economic characteristics of the members of the women cooperative societies in aboh mbaise LGA?
- What are the contributions of women cooperative to the rural women economic empowerment?
- What types of cooperative and economic activities women cooperatives engaged in cooperative in aboh mbaise?
- Where do women cooperatives source their funds from?
- What are the problems facing the women cooperative in the areas of study?
1.5 Significance Of The Study
This study will be of great importance to the following group:
This study is most conspicuous in the services and to the rural development especially in this period of economic recession in which government wants all hands on desk to diversify the present mono-economic of the nation through increase food production.
This will highlight the level of women’s role in rural developments. It will eliminate doubt as to whether or not women cooperatives are of any significance in the rural development.
This study will guide other researchers who may wish to operate long cooperative lines especially as it concerns women in rural development through cooperative in aboh mbaise LGA.
The information provides by the study may be tremendous help to the cooperative leaders and other supervisors such as rural development, division for the governors office, agricultural extension agents, the family support commission and other financial as cooperative offices and managers.
1.6 The Scope Of The Study
The scope of the study limits to selected registered women cooperatives in aboh mbaise local government area of imo state.
The limitation of this selected cooperative society does not necessarily eliminate chance of making valid conclusion on the entire population of women cooperative in aboh mbaise local government area, as society are fairly representatives of the situation in the local government area generally.
1.7 Limitation Of Study
As Always The Case In Any Human Endeavour, Problems Most Encountered In Trying To Carry Out Any Meaningful Activities Especially When It Involves Groups, Moving From Place To Another Interviewing Cooperative Officer And Government Offices. The Project Is Not An Exception.
These Problems Could Be Classified As Follows:
- Insufficient and inadequate data: there are grossly inadequate data to support the analysis of women cooperative in aboh mbaise. This lack of data has made cooperative in aboh mbaise.
- Time Factor: the time available to carry out the research and come out with something meaningful and researchable is not adequate. The research work is being done with normal academic work time therefore posed a big limit to the scope of the study.
- Delimitation: as a result of the above mentioned pints, the scope is limited only from 1987 – 1998.
1.8 Definition Of Terms
Cooperative society is an institution which deals with frame work co-operation of joint activities by people, take in formalized long term and deliberate and to a great extent specified in the social and especially economic sphere of human endeavours.
Registered Co-Operative Societies:
Registered co-operative society is any cooperative society registered, thereby acquiring authority to operate. Cooperatives are used for the purpose of the study to represent registered cooperative society.
Rural development concerns with the living standard of how income population in the rural area on a self sustaining basis through transforming the socio-economic structure of their productive activities.
Community should be regarded as a unified body of individual with characteristics of interest. A coming historical heritage, cultural affinities and common socio-economic and political interest advanced by the government.
This is a small group having all the characteristics of the population under study and upon which postulation or judgment about entire population is based.
Farmer Multipurpose Co-Operative Societies.
5.0 Finding, Recommendations And Conclusion
5.1 Summaries Of Findings
In the analysis and evaluation of the women co-operative in rural development in Aboh Mbaise Local Government Area. The following findings were made:
- In the contributions of women co-operative to the rural development in Aboh Mbaise Local Government Area shows that job creation was the highest percentage of 30 among the contributions made followed by improved production techniques with 27%, then improvement of standard of living with 25% and encouragement of economic of scale with 18%.
- The types of economic activities women cooperative society engaged shows that housewives have the highest number of percentage of 40%, followed by agricultural activities with 30% then women engages in business with 18%, and 12% for civil services, while civil servants is lows was that a lot of women were in different about joining the women co-operatives due to their lack of proper enlightment of ignorance based on fanaticism, it was notices that the majority of the members belong to the low income group. These are the factors for low membership in the women co-operative societies.
- Also, from the study, source of funds by their women co-operative society shows that only 25% sources fund from personal contribution, 35% from grant from government and 40% from obtaining loan from the financial banks. The capital contributed by individual members was indicated to be low and the loans and the interest rate was high that is why they could not contribute well in the rural development, since such amount would be unable to finance and meaningful project when invested.
- The problems facing the women co-operatives in the areas of study shows that inadequate capital, poor funding and corruption among members that is why they are unable to execute enough project for rural development.
- Observation made shows that most of those women in co-operative lack good management skill with which to co-ordinate the affairs of the women cooperative.
This was attributed to their educational background and lack of poor exposure.
This research work carried out basically co-operatives in rural development has attempted the analysis of efficiency and effectiveness of the societies in the rural development aspects.
An investigation was undergone in all the registered women co-operative societies in the study area.
The co-operative thrift and loan and credit societies, the farmers’ multipurpose societies, their probabilities were examined. It was discovered that these women cooperative are essential and have the potentials of contributing towards the economic development.
In-depth study was made on their membership and financial strength. The extent of loans disbursement and repayment were also looked into comparatively with capital generated. Some of the constraints militating against the improvement of accommodation of capital and extension of credit such as low membership and poor credit extension were repaid. The foregoing discussion on the role of women cooperatives in rural development has to be implemented.
Finally, if the recommendations and implementations coupled with provision of such rural infrastructures that would harness the effort and entrances income, there would be increase in the role played by these women cooperatives in rural development.
At the beginning of this study, we promised that we shall place out findings side by side with out expectations at each state.
In view of the importance and implications of these women cooperative societies in economic development in general and precisely in rural development and having discovered some of their impediments and the need to recognize the women cooperative. The empirical study shows evidence that the women cooperative are yet realized; the actual embodiments of their societies hence the inactivity of some of the members.
Therefore, the following suggestions were made:
- The survey shows that inadequate capital, poor funding and corruption among members are the problems facing the women cooperative society in ABOH MBAISE LGA, should intervene by providing enough grant that will better of the women cooperative and corruption among members should be checked.
- In the light of the researchers findings, the researcher is this advocating that effective and adequate education and awareness campaigns devices to reoriented members of women cooperative in particular and the public in general, on the need for women cooperatives to enhance self reliance, education is the bedrock for any articulated economic development with the help of this, it will assist in having members from top government officials who can be able to raise finance to the women cooperative society in aboh mbaise lga since the economic activities of women cooperative is tool low, that is why they lack finance and funding.
- They were obtained from the financial institution should be low so that they should be able to execute enough project with the loan obtained before repayment of the loan.
- The women co-operative should further their resources by exploring other avenues of increasing efficiency with little or no organizational hazards to the detriments.
- The enlightenment attributes may be two folds, would stimulate favourable environment to induce potential members to join the societies. Secondly, it would enforce checks and restore confidence to members in the women cooperatives may be a commitment that led to granting of little loans disbursement.
How To Get The Complete Material For The Role Of Women Cooperatives In Rural Women Economic Empowerment (A Case Study Of Selected Women Co-Operatives In Aboh Mbaise Local Government Area)
The complete material will be sent to your email address after payment
( Quick & Simple)
|FOR CLIENTS IN NIGERIA:|
|CLICK HERE to make purchase (₦3,000)|
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|CLICK HERE to make purchase ($15)|
This research material “The Role Of Women Cooperatives In Rural Women Economic Empowerment (A Case Study Of Selected Women Co-Operatives In Aboh Mbaise Local Government Area)” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “The Role Of Women Cooperatives In Rural Women Economic Empowerment (A Case Study Of Selected Women Co-Operatives In Aboh Mbaise Local Government Area)” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.