The Role Of Staff Development In Organization Growth (A Survey Of Selected Companies In Port Harcourt)
This study is based on the role of staff development in organizational growth, a survey of selected companies in port Harcourt was carried out on the fact that correlation between staff development and organizational growth needs adequate investigation it emphasized on the analysis of sectoral and industrial training need employee development method, all forms of relationship between on the job training and organizational growth, examine all managerial development method of organizational growth amount others. In this study questionnaires were sent to those on managerial level of companies randomly selected in port Harcourt.
The spearman rank order correlation coefficient was used in data analysis as the data collected were in an ordinary scale form. It was found from the study that: On the job training have positive correlations on the organization growth. There is positive relationship between off the job training and organizational performance. Developed managers improve organizational growth. It was concluded that there is considerable effect of staff development on organizational growth.
Table Of Contents
- Title page
- Approval page
- Table of contents
- 1.1 Background of the study
- 1.2 Statement of the problem
- 1.3 Objective of the purpose of the study
- 1.4 Research questions
- 1.5 Research hypothesis
- 1.6 Significance of the study
- 1.7 Scope and limitation of the study
- 1.8 Definitions of unfamiliar terms
2.0 Literature Review
- 2.1 The importance staff development
- 2.2 Major organizational goals growth
- 2.3 The key areas of organizational growth
- 2.3.1 Measures of efficiency and effectiveness
- 2.3.2 The main growth areas
- 2.4 The analysis of sectoral and industrial needs
- 2.4.1 Importance of workers and employers
- 2.4.2 The worker 2
- 2.4.3 The employer
- 2.4.4 Sector of the economy
- 2.5 The analysis of employee development in Nigeria
- 2.5.1 Determination of training needs
- 2.5.2 Other technique for determining training needs
- 2.5.3 Training techniques
- 2.5.4 Staff development methods in Nigeria
- 2.5.5 Management development in Nigeria
3.0 Research Methodology
- 3.1 Research design
- 3.2 Population
- 3.3 Sample population
- 3.4 Instrument for data collection
- 3.5 Data collection
- 3.6 Statistical tools used
4.0 Data Presentation and Analysis
- 4.1 Level of significance
- 4.2 Decision rule
- 4.3 Hypothesis (1)
- 4.4 Interpretation of result
5.0 Summary, Recommendation and Conclusion
- 5.1 Summary
- 5.2 Recommendations
- 5.3 Conclusion
- 5.4 Area of further research
1.1 Background Of The Study
The human resource of an organization and the entire nation which comprised men and women, young and old service are the greatest and indeed the most precious assets of the organization and entire nation. Productivity as major function of the entire human resource is the life blood of economy and vital to improve standard of living to all of us.
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
Staff development is the process of preparing person for a productive employment note. It helps in contributing to their potential in producing the combination of goods and services in society.
The problems have always been the identification of the fact that there is need for human training and development. Most firms do not or fined it difficult to identify their training and development needs. As a result of this, there is no effective desire for investment in staff development is expected to bring about improvement in employers moral and motivation. There would be reduction in labor turnover; employers would gain a sense of belaying after training and development.
Also, acquisition of skills, covert attitude and knowledge for success in the organization would be a reality. It would go a long way enhance the employers opportunity for promotion.
This study therefore, is carried out essentially to investigate examine and analyze the role of staff development in organization growth. There is obvious need to have the knowledge to identify training and development needs and to ensure that they are solved.
This may lead to very low production in an organization.
1.3 Objective Or Purpose Of The Study
The objects of the study are:
- To analyze the sect oral and industrial training needs.
- It will examine all employee development methods.
- It will investigation the relationship between all form of the job training and organization growth of selected companies in Port Harcourt
1.4 Research Question
The following research questions are raised to guide the study.
- How does staff development affect organization growth?
- How would a company determine its training needs?
- Which method (s) of training should be used during training?
1.5 Research Hypothesis
The hypothesis tested is under listed.
- On Job training has a positive correlation on organization growth.
- Off the job training relates positively to organization growth.
- Developed managers improve organizational growth.
1.6 Significance Of The Study
In Nigeria as in other countries, the indices fro measuring national growth and development binge on the condition of the human resources which she possesses. Human resources constituted the ultimate dignity of the nation. After all it is the interaction of people with national resources that constitute development process. The people, according to gant (1997) are human resources, for the supply of physical labour, technical and professional skills, which are implementation of development policies, programmed, project and daily activities.
Skill need in the country be it the formula, intermediate or in the formal sector of the economy are acquired in the process of learning. We therefore, accept the definition of training as a purposeful development of required skills, knowledge and attitude and it is seen as investment.
As stressed before, investment in human capital development brings a lot of benefits such as efficiency and effectiveness to organization. This being the case, micro and macro managers, prospective managers and company employees. Would derive immerse benefits from the study, as the recommendation that emanate therefore, would help to improve in their efforts of employee development.
Particularly, the study will also be a source of knowledge for students of management sciences who may theoretically be advisors to investors.
Entrepreneurs are not left out in the stream of benefits that accrue from the study as they tend to be mostly concerned about the available human skill needed to boost production of goods and service in their organizations.
The governments at large also have great benefits derivable form this study as increase in human capital development would ultimately contribute in no small measure to increase gross domestic product (GDP)
1.7 Scope And Limitation Of The Study
No human study can say or claimed to be exhaust or comprehensive. The reason is that, human perception and knowledge gained from this study is manly useful to the people concerned (managers, investors, management students, human resource development and utilization).
The study was characterized by some problems such as lack of finds, time and energy, in addition to the uncompromising attitude exhibited by some respondent during the investigating the validity of the study depends greatly on the truthfulness of the respondents who answered the study also depends on the managers perception of growth of the organization in question
1.8 Definition Of Unfamiliar Terms
It is imaginative and risk bearing Courage.
This ranges from nursery to university Education.
Formal Sector Of The Economy
This consist of the large And more productive manufacturing And commercial enterprise, government institution and corporations, education and public health institution and wholesale business.
This is made up of intermittent part time workers. However, petty traders, vehicle drivers hair dressers, restaurant operators. etc
This include small family enterprises retail shop, repair shop handicrafts and scale transport business.
This is the combination of such ability such as memory, vocabulary and reasoning.
This is out of school education and instruction outside the formal education.
Off The Job Training
This training taker place outside work location
On The Job Training
This training takes place completely at work or location.
This is the method of using five Senses, hearing smelling, testing, felling and seeing in the course of
Performing A Job. Social Job
This is a combination of extraversion Dominance and emotional maturity to Perform job effectively.
These are the unskilled and un-educated Workers.
Artisan Or Blue – Collar Workers
These are skilled automobile such as carpenters, masons, automobile mechanics, electricians, welders etc
White Collar Workers
There are clerical and secretarial staffs such as typists, stenographers, and clerks.
These are managerial class who occupy superior positions on the basis of their high educational qualifications or as a result of ability or experience.
The employer is one who offers employment to the employees or staffs.
Summary, Recommendation And Conclusion
From all the facts examined, staff trinity is designed to improve job skill, while development programs are designed to educate staff managers and prospective managers in upper, middle and lower levels of the organization, beyond the job requirements of their present position so that they will be prepared for promotion and be able to take a braider view of their role in the organization. Therefore, emphasis on human resources provides the much needed economic development.
- There often arise a problem of inability to identify the trinity needs in an organization, but, efforts are pat in place to identify trinity needs through performance evaluation. There is obvious need. To have the knowledge to identify trinity and development needs and to ensure that they are sifted, otherwise, they may lead to low productivity.
- The research study is based on the note of staff development on organization growth a survey was taken on a number of companies in port Harcourt which formed the sample size., interviews, and questionnaires were drawn to accretion data both primary and secondary data collection methods were used.
- There is positive relationship between developed managers and organizational growth. In other works developed managers improve organizational growth. Above all we would conclude that staff development has a positive effect on organizational growth as could be referred from all facts examined.
Training and retraining of human resource as well as their appropriate vitalization McLane a high level of productivity and implicitly, economic development. National institutions responsible for staff development should therefore be adequately funded in order that appropriate trinity faculties could be more developed. there should be a very close interaction between human resource developers and utilizes so that training orientation of the developers could be adjusted to meet the needs of the utilizers. All development decisions should be based on the following.
- The number of staffs to be developed
- The contents and objective of developmental utilization plans.
- The urgency of development and utilization plans.
- The facilities of and the staff available for the implementation of decided plans.
- The estimate of lost of the methods.
- The expected benefits of the methods
This is based greatly on the needs of the organization and that of the staffs being developed.
In conclusion organizational efficiently and effectiveness can only be explained through the level of productivity. Staff development should therefore be seen as a size quo non of organizational growth. As stressed in several places of this study, the process of training and development aims at increasing the ability of individual and groups to contribute to organizational effectiveness. As posited by Sherman . The primary purpose of these activities is to developed staffs who will contribute more effectively to the goals of the organization and to enable them to gain a greater sense of satisfaction from their work.
The process of development therefore is one that assist staffs in attaining a level of growth a quality of personnel and social behaviors that meets both their work and those of the organization ’’ Training is designed to improve job skills, development programmes are designed to educate employees beyond the requirement of their present position for promotions and for broader view of their role in the organization. From the analysis of data collected in chapter-four, it could be seen that the three hypothesis tested showed a positive relationship between staff development and organizational growth.
At a five percent (5%) level of significance in other works, the researcher is ninety-five percent (95%) confident of the assertive relationship between the variables while the five percent (5%) assumes sampling error that might have arisen’’ As organization that puts great emphasis on staff trinity and development is directly planning for its survival. A good employee is one who works hard towards the realization of organizational goals. This is achieved through teaching the staff to work to ward the company aims’’.
5.4 Areas Of Further Research
Problems of staff training and development in Nigerian companies (A case study of Nigerian telecommunication plc Port Harcourt)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: The Role Of Staff Development In Organization Growth (A Survey Of Selected Companies In Port Harcourt)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply