The Role Of Purchasing Research In A Manufacturing Company (A Case Study Of Rokana Industry Nekede)
The subject matter of this study is the Role of Purchasing Research In Manufacturing Company. A Case Study of the Rokana Industry Owerri, Imo State. In other to achieve the objective a research question was constructed to enable the researcher collect relevant information in the subject matter. The researcher used survey research method. Questionnaires were distributed to the respondent to elicit useful information on the role of purchasing research in manufacturing company.
The data gathered were analyzed using frequency and simple percentage table. The result indicated that purchasing research play a significant role in manufacturing company by giving the Purchasing Department the opportunity to carry out their research before the procurement of materials parts, spares and other required in the production activities so that there will be a value every naira spent in the company’s profitability
Table Of Contents
- Title page
- Approval page
- Table of contents
- 1.1 Background of the study
- 1.2 Statement of the problem
- 1.3 Objective of the study
- 1.4 Research questions
- 1.5 Significance of the study
- 1.6 Scope of the study
- 1.7 Limitations of the study
- 1.8 Definitions of terms
2.0 Literature Review
- 2.1 Introduction
- 2.2 Procedures as a veritable tool for problem solving
- 2.3 General overview of purchasing function
- 2.4 Purchasing research
- 2.5 Why purchasing research is becoming important
- 2.6 Importance of purchasing research
- 2.7 Organization of purchasing research
- 2.8 The use of regularly assigned buying administrative personnel
- 2.9 Area of purchasing
- 2.10 The assessment of purchasing research in the profitability on a manufacturing company 22
- 2.11 Summary of related literature
3.0 Research design and methodology
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Research design
- 3.3 Sources/method of data collection
- 3.4 Population and sampling size
- 3.5 Sampling technique
- 3.6 Validity and Reliability of measuring instrument
- 3.7 Method of data analysis
4.0 Data Presentation and Analysis
- 4.1. Introduction
- 4.2 Analysis, Presentation and interpretation of Data
- 4.3 Discussion of major findings
5.0 Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
- 5.1 Introduction
- 5.2 Summary of Findings
- 5.3 Conclusion
- 5.4 Recommendations
1.1 Background Of Study
Research has been identified as one of the most powerful tools and a panacea to many of the world’s greatest problems. Research is a goal oriented and its goal determines its nature and form. Studies have shown that one of the major problems limiting against the profitability of human endeavor in general and organization in particular is lack of adequate research. It is the light of these, which this research works, is geared towards the assessment of purchasing procedures and how it affects the profitability of a manufacturing company using Nigeria Bottling Company as a case study.
Research affects all spheres of man activities. The companies are not therefore left out, especially is regards material sources of supply and other important and related issues about purchasing, hence purchasing procedures. The first world countries have embraced research that they have made remarkable and outstanding success and progress in the technological advancement of the world. This study seeks to encourage third world countries especially universities and polytechnic procedures institutions and the like not to overlook the importance of research.
More so, companies are advised to pay good attention to the contribution of purchasing research for their increased profitability. They are encouraged to know that purchasing research is a tool that can assist them in their daily purchasing activities; companies are against this background, expected to embraced purchasing research and provide the finance necessary to carry out this research for better performance of the purchasing functions, which in turn contributed to the overall organizational profitability.
Rokana Industry Plc Nekede is incorporated on September 1978 as a private limited liability company. The nature of the business is manufacturing and it was founded by Engr. Charles Ugwu, a British trained industrialist/Engineer in 1978. The Managing Director is Ekemma Geoffrey now while Engineer Charles Ugwu is the Chief Executive of the company.
The factory is divided into three basic areas namely: Administration, Marketing/ Sales and Promotion. It has a branch in Lagos as their registered street of 52 Along Futo-Poly road, Nekede, Imo state and 89 Ogundana Street Allen Avenue, Ikeja, Lagos. Over 80% of the raw materials for the production of the product are imported. They also have sales outlets in Abuja, Aba, Imo, Kaduna, and Lagos. The company is Hundred Percent Nigerian owned while Union Bank Plc own 40% shares of the company products produce.
Rokana Currently Maintains Four Existing Manufacturing Units.
1. The Cosmetic Units:
This unit undertakes the production of the tooth-paste, baby-care cosmetics, skin lotions, creams and ointment.
2. The Plastic Unit:
This unit produces tooth-brush, dental stick, plastic folders, plagues for Aerosol production.
3. Aerosol Unit:
This unit produces insecticides, air fresheners, perfumes, furniture polish, deodorant etc.
4. LPG Unit:
This unit refills domestic cooking gas cylinder, provides unstaunched gas as propellant to aerosol production line.
1.2 Statement Of The Problems
The essence of the purchasing research in any organization is to identify those silent activities as regards materials sources of supply and other imported and related issues about purchasing. In view of this fact, it is imperative to take insight into the purchasing research activities of an organization using Kotana Industry Nekede as a case study in point in the light of its research efforts and how the impacts have contributed to the profitability of the organization. Closely related to this, are the needs for price in the purchasing of materials for production, lack of inadequate raw materials as it affects production etc.
In undertaking this study, the research intends to investigate to what extent procedures on price and lack of adequate raw materials have affected the profitability of Rokana Industry Nekede.
1.3 Objectives Of The Study
As earlier stated, purchasing by its nature is a basic and integral part of business management. In addition, the basic goal of any business organization is to produce goods and services which can be marketed as a profit.
However, this goal is achieved by blending, appropriately the five M’s of management viz Machine, Man power, Materials, Money and Management. Of all the five, materials have seen as the life blood of industries and as such need not to be treated carelessly.
Purchasing procedures is therefore undertaking to solve problems such as sudden shortages or an unacceptable price increase, or in response to other exceptional situation such as change in the rate of exchange.
From the foregoing, the objectives of the study are:
- To ascertain the important areas of purchasing research
- To investigate into important areas of purchasing research to examine the reasons for purchasing research.
- To x-ray the relationship between purchasing research in a manufacturing company.
- To find out the relationship between purchasing, purchasing research and company’s profitability.
1.4 Research Question
- Does the organization attach importance to purchasing research?
- If purchasing is given a top management approval, is purchasing research of important concern to the management?
- How has purchasing research contributed to the company’s overall profitability?
- What are the gains that purchasing research carried out in your industry?
- What impact have purchasing research been playing in your industry?
1.5 Significance Of The Study
This study or research work is important to a number of persons. To me as a researcher carrying out this research is an adventure.
In the course of this writing, it is a way of developing my talent and creative gift of writing as a student. Again, it is a requirement for the award of National Diploma (ND) in purchasing and supply chain management. In addition, this study will serve as a data bank for reference point for other researcher. Furthermore, the department of purchasing in every industry will appreciate the content of this procedures work as it assists.
There is their constant material, products or seminars, purchasing personnel, suppliers on commodities on purchasing research. In addition, this research unit profits a number of students in the purchasing and other department of any higher institution by providing the necessary information for writing on similar or related topic. It will therefore provide a yardstick topic or standard for such student when they shall make reference to this material.
1.6 Scope Of The Study
Purchasing research is an important and vast area of study; more so, it is carried out by a lot of manufacturing firms in order to increase their profitability. This being the case, this research on purchased materials, products or services, purchasing personnel, or suppliers on commodities and on methods purchases that is purchasing research or system.
Furthermore, this work will concentrate more on the profit making organization precisely manufacturing industries with particular reference to Rokana Industry (Rokana Industry Nekede Imo state).
1.7 Limitations Of Study
In carrying out this research work, a lot of things interested me, for example, the joy of ending my first degree with writing of my project. However, I was constrained with time because we were given a short period to write and defend out project immediately after our exams. I was therefore hurrying to meet up with the date given to use and there was also no time to visit other libraries for vital information.
In addition, there was also the problem of finance to move around in order to visit the industry used as a case study. There was also the problem of insufficient procedures materials on the topic; these problems were however adjusted to by the procedure in order to ensure that this research work is a success.
1.8 Definition Of Terms
It is also important to define some unfamiliar terms that other researcher can find their meaning easily in case they want to make use of this work.
is defined as planned buying. It is a function in the organization that fulfills organizational needs through acquisition of the right materials, supplies, plants, tools, machineries and services that will enable the organization to attain its targeted goals.
This is a careful study of a subject especially in order to discover new facts or information about it. It is also the systematic investigation into and study of materials and sources in order to establish facts and reach new conclusions.
Is the systematic design, collection, analysis and reporting of data and findings relevant to a specific purchasing situation facing the company.
These are the people who supply materials, parts, goods or services to the buying organization.
This is a firm that may be either profit or non-profit oriented that exists for the sake of producing goods and services at the profit or tendering services.
This is the end target of every profit oriented firm increasing their capital base in the form of additional revenue which can be ploughed back into the business as retains earnings.
Summary Conclusion And Recommendation
This chapter summarizes the research work and also make the necessary recommendations that will and the beneficiaries of the research work especially Rokana industry plc. This case study in making sound purchasing decision.
In summary, the research has succeed to cover areas like introduction of the research topic, the background of this research work statements of this research problems, what the research work set to achieve, who benefits from the research work, the research question, the hypothesis, the areas of coverage of the work, the constraints faced in the course of this research work and in definition of the relevant terms
From what I wrote, in chapter two, we can see that purchasing research is important and relevant to company profitability. By carrying out purchasing research on purchased materials. Sample information can be provided on the features of the product care of, definitely, profit is saved. In addition, it is also pertinent that the purchasing department should take up their assessment in purchas9ing research in other to boost their status otherwise this assessment will be assumed by other department.
In the chapter three, the research discussed how the data was collected which include the questionnaires and observation method, also, method of data collection was also x-rayed by the research as well as data analysis method how to test the hypothesis, which will be presented in the hypothesis, which will also be presented in the hypothesis, which will also be presented in the subsequent chapter (chapter four).
In this chapter, it sets out to analyze and present the data obtained in chapter three and goes ahead to test the hypothesis stated in chapter one to arrive at either accepting or neglecting each hypothesis. It also, discusses on major finding of the data analysis.
In this summary, it comprises the entire chapter done in this research work on the back ground of the study, statements of the problems, objective and significance of the study, research question and testing of hypothesis, scope and limitation of the study. In chapter two, the research reviewed the related literature and discussed briefly historical background of the case study. In the third chapter, the researcher carried out a research work or research methodology and in chapter four, the research presented the analysis of data of the study.
The importance of purchasing research cannot be overt emphasized, as stated earlier, the research helps in resolving problems. It is a problem oriented ventures, so as purchasing research. The problems of materials shortages, substandard materials, lack of reliable, inefficient purchasing problems have necessitated purchasing research. After an extension work on this topic, the role of purchasing research in a manufacturing company a case study of Rokana industry plc, the research therefore have drawn the following conclusion.
- The information provided by purchasing research assists managers, purchasing research analysis and purchasing department as a whole, in making sound purchasing decisions.
- Furthermore, because such decision is done in environment filled with uncertainties for example inflation which is a consistent rise in the price level of goods and services including raw materials. It is therefore the houses in purchasing personnel to combat and tackle the uncertainties inherent in purchasing activities. By reducing this uncertainties to profitability, sound purchasing decision, therefore be made.
- The benefits of purchasing research justify the involvement because it affects the entire industry positively.
- The purchasing department has a lot of assessment to play in purchasing research. If this assessment is over bold, it will be assumed by the other department and purchasing will only be regarded as a routine function.
From the foregoing the researchers decided to make the necessary recommendation.
- That the purchasing functions, be separated from other department, like marketing, production, accounts etc in industries who merge the purchasing function under this departments. This will enable purchasing to assume its proper assessment of making materials from the right source in the right quality and quantity and at the right price using purchasing principles concepts and techniques.
- That purchasing research should be given top management and support.
- If purchasing research should be given top management priority, fund should also be made available for such research to be carried out.
- That research education and training be given to procurement staff or purchasing department and research analysis on how to carry out the purchasing research.
- There should be good inter-department Liaison and relationship between the purchasing department and other department. This ensures a good communication flow among the depar6tments because purchasing department may, for example need information from the production department in other to carry out purchasing research.
- That the assessment of purchasing research in contribution of the purchasing department.
- That purchasing research be cushioned in the company’s policies so that sound purchasing decision can be made.
- That purchasing research be carried out by competent personnel who are professionals and knowledgeable in the work.
- That purchasing research be extended in areas like purchasing techniques, purchasing ethics and purchasing methods.
- That the organization for purchasing research be made then function of experts who are versatile and knowledgeable in the work.
- That the organization for purchasing research be made with an expert in the work.
The Role Of Purchasing Research In A Manufacturing Company (A Case Study Of Rokana Industry Nekede)
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | +234-8143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- The Role Of Purchasing Research In A Manufacturing Company (A Case Study Of Rokana Industry Nekede)
The complete material will be sent to your email address after receiving your payment information | T & C Apply
You may also like:
This research material “The Role Of Purchasing Research In A Manufacturing Company (A Case Study Of Rokana Industry Nekede)” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “The Role Of Purchasing Research In A Manufacturing Company (A Case Study Of Rokana Industry Nekede)” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.