The Role Of Parents In The Career Development Of The Child
The purpose of this research work is to examine the role of parents in the career development of the child. The research was carried out based on three research questions formulated by the researcher. The researcher then used questionnaire which was evenly distributed between five (5) primary schools in Ikpoba Okha Local Government Area of Edo State to elicit the views of various respondents. The data collected was tabulated and analyzed appropriately with the use of simple percentage method of data analysis and at the end it was discovered that parents really do have a specific to play in the career development of the child since the role of parents would vary from time to time depending on the child’s decision to accept assistance or not. In this regards, all the parents needs to do is to be the child’s career counselor.
Background to the Study
According to the Oxford Advanced Learners dictionary (7th edition) career is the period of time that you spend in your life working or doing a particular thing while on the other hand development is the gradual growth of something so that it becomes more advanced, stronger etc. from the concept of the definition of both career and development, one would be quick to conclude that career development is the change, growth or improvement over a period of time in a job that someone spends most of his or her life working at. In order to achieve a successful career development process, it is important that the child’s personality or point of interest comes to congruence, with the chosen career, that is why Holland (1959) said, career development congruence, the most extensively studied topic in career development is how well an individual’s interest match with their career goals. In Holland’s theory, congruence is the agreement between an individual’s personality (i.e. their level of interest in either realistic, investigative, social, conventional, enterprising or artistic realms) and their occupational goals. Holland went further to say that when an individual’s personality is congruent with their occupational goal, there is little or nothing that can be done to influence their career choice and if otherwise, this might lead to lack of dedication in execution of career duty.
Another factor that can also contribute to the successful career development process in the child is the parent. Parents are the single most influential factors in the career development of their children, yet most parents are not adequately informed about how to help. Parents need to know how to use career information, how to assist in exploration, how to support development of interests and abilities and how to challenge the stereotypes facing their children.
Statement of the Problem
It has been seen that many parents across the strata of the society form the habit of choosing career for their children and from close observation, it was observed that the level of performance, dedication and seriousness to work of some of those people who had their career chosen for them by their parents deteriorates by the day and as such ends up in a dismal state. If not properly addressed, the problem of ending in the wrong profession may lead to lack of fulfillment in life, non-achievement of personal futuristic goals and sometimes underachievement in career life. It is against this backdrop that the researcher intends to examine the role of parents in the career development of the child.
In order to guide this study, the following research questions will be considered.
- How does the relationship between the parents and the children determine the role of parents in the career development of the child?
- How does the psychology of the parents determine the role parents play in their child’s career development?
- How does the educational background of the parents determine the role they play in their child’s career development?
Purpose of the Study
The purpose of this study is to examine in details the role of parents in the career development of the child, how parents can assist their children in career development. This study will also help parents to understand how to help the child create many opportunities for experimentation and how to help the child to tear down artificial limits or barriers to career development.
Basic Assumption of the Study
During the cause of thorough research on the role of parents in the career development of the child, the following assumptions were made;
- Most parents who choose career for their children or ward actually do so to suit their selfish interest.
- Some parents choose career for their children based on the financial acquaintance of the career.
Scope of the Study
The scope of this study covered five primary schools in Ikpoba Okha Local Government Area and it examines how the relationship between parents and children, the psychology of the parents and the educational background of the parents determines the role they play in their child’s career development process.
Definition of Terms
Somebody who is legally entrusted with the duty of managing somebody else affairs, especially a minor.
To inspect or study somebody or something in details
Process of doing something new in order to see what happens.
Structures that prevent access or keeps one place separate from another
Behaviour or feeling towards somebody else
Characteristics mental make up
A magazine or periodical published by a specialist containing contributions relevant to their area of activity.
Appropriate in a particular situation.
A class in a society
The hard work or effort that somebody puts into an activity because they think it is important.
To become worse
Summary, Conclusions and Recommendations:
This chapter summarizes the findings on the role of parents in the career development of the child in primary schools in Ikpoba Okha Local Government Area of Edo State as case study. The chapter consists of summary of the study, conclusions, and recommendations.
5.2 Summary of the Study
In this study, our focus was on the role of parents in the career development of the child in primary schools in Ikpoba Okha Local Government Area of Edo State as case study. The purpose of this study is to examine in details the role of parents in the career development of the child, how parents can assist their children in career development. This study will also help parents to understand how to help the child create many opportunities for experimentation and how to help the child to tear down artificial limits or barriers to career development.
The study adopted the survey research design and randomly enrolled participants in the study. A total of 100 responses were validated from the enrolled participants where all respondent are students from the selected primary schools in Ikpoba Okha Local Government Area of Edo State.
Career development is one important stage in every youth or individual has to make at some time of their life. However, parents/guardians have become more active in helping their children/wards make the right career choices. And as such has a certain influence on children career choice. In the light of the analysis carried out, the following conclusions were drawn.
- There is a relationship between parents educational attainment and career preference of senior secondary school students.
- There is a relationship between parent’s occupational status and career preference of senior secondary school students.
- There is a relationship between sex and career preference of senior secondary school students.
The following recommendations were proffered with respect to the findings of the study;
- Parents should cautiously avoid the tendency of pushing their children into pursuing those ‘wishful heights’ in their careers that they were unable to attain in a bid to accomplish their ‘own failings’.
- Parents should employ the assistance of professional career counsellors in helping their children to make intelligent career decisions in line with their aptitude and abilities.
- The place of guidance counsellors in schools should not just be theoretically recognized by the Federal Government of Nigeria, but should also be practically implemented in schools by ensuring that every Nigerian child in secondary school has access to the services of guidance counsellors for adequate career guidance. This can be achieved by establishing guidance and career centres in every local government; ensuring every school has one guidance and counselling unit with at least one qualified guidance counsellor and trainee assistants in secondary schools.
How To Get The Complete Material For The Role Of Parents In The Career Development Of The Child
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN CLIENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- The Role Of Parents In The Career Development Of The Child
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To Your Email Address After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply