The Role Of Local Government Service Commission In Manpower Development
The main purpose of this research work was to examine the role of local government service commission in manpower development, this was prompted by the fact that there are no better ways of delivering service at the local government level which is believed to be lead by the poor professional administration and man power. This shows that there is close link between civil servant development, professional building and efficient service delivery. Despite funding and the training programs for manpower development in the local government, majority of the civil servant are rarely trained and their performance in efficient service delivery is to a failure. Therefore the research recommended that for proper application of better man power development training policies and practice should be implemented motoring and supervisory of field officers in charge of service deliver. Also the local government should be made to embrace designed polices and manpower development and professional capacity building by the federal and state government.
1.1 Background of the Study
There are a number of factors that contribute to the success of any organization, these factors includes capital, equipment, manpower etc all these factors are important but the most significant factor is the human factor. Since it is people that will put together the resource to work, it should be viewed as such by management in giving it due attention in order to achieve organizational goal and objectives.
Isah Mohammed (2006) define manpower development as a concept that has been take to a systematic process of training and growth by which individuals gain and apply skills, knowledge, insight and attitude to manage work organization effectively.
The essence of manpower planning is to ensure that the right person is available for the right job at the right time. this involves formulating a forward looking plan to ensure that the necessary human effort to make it possible the survival and growth of the organization, it becomes imperative to develop the employee.
Manpower development is a process of intellectual and emotional achievement through providing the means by which people can grow on their jobs. It relates to services of activities which an enterprise would embark upon to improve its managerial capacity. Manpower development is important in a discussion of strategic human resources management.
The emphasis on manpower and development is influenced by the belief that it is now desirable to focus more attention on areas which in the past has been relatively neglected because every organization regardless of its size must provide for the needs, interest and desire of its employee within the work environment if it is to earn loyalty, dedication involvement and commitment necessary to compete effectively.
In view of all this facts, it is pertinent to note that the success of an/any organization depends on the ability and expertise of those who operate it both at the managerial and lower levels of operation, such abilities and expertise usually stems from the knowledge that possess and training received.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
The roles played by local government service commission in manpower development is much to rated with developing state like Kogi State. It is pertinent therefore, to examine the expected function or role of local government service commission in manpower development since it inauguration on the 20th October, 1992 by the first civilian governor of Kogi State Prince Abubakar Audu.
Below are some statement of problems:
- Problem of reckless spending
- Problems of mismanagement
- Over inflation of contract
- Problem of finance
- Lack of enough educational institution in the state
- Absence of institution to train staffs in the lower cadres
The local government service commission responsible for the training and development employees are having limited number of staff that will go on service training annually.
1.3 Objective of the Study
The objective of this study are as follows:
- To look into the various strategies, adopted designed by the local government service commission in ensuring that manpower development is achieved.
- To examine the actual function of local government service commission
- To evaluate the performance of local government areas and how it has followed all the laid down procedures in the administration of local areas.
- To examine the various methods to be applied towards achieving manpower development at the local government level and
- To look critically into the various challenges that has bedevilled local government administration especially in Kogi State.
1.4 Research Questions
In the course of this research work, a number of question were prepared as part of the research to help in investigation into the function of local government service commission in manpower development.
- In your own view, what do you see manpower development to be?
- To what extent can you say that the commission has achieved her objectives
- What are the problems faced in an attempt to actualize her function or roles
- How can these problems be solved
- Do you think that the local government service commission has played any role in instilling adequate training to local government staff?
1.5 Significance of the Study
Since there is no research work conducted without addressing lingering problem or issues, the following are some of the significance of this study:
- The study will expose the actual functions or role of local government service commission.
- These exposition will tells the roles or functions there played in manpower development.
- It will reveal to what extent local government service has gone in achieving her objectives
- The study will make local government service commission designs strategies by which meaning manpower development can be achieved.
- It will assist subsequent character and commission members to know their responsibilities in manpower development.
- The study will reveal strategies to apply in achieving developmental objective.
1.6 The Scope of the Study
The study will look into the roles of local government service commission in manpower development in Kogi State since its inauguration on 20thOctober, 1992.
This is to say that it will examine the part played by the commission in terms of staff training employment, discipline of staff, transfer and retirement from service and general control.
It will also concerned the problems encountered in the development plans as well as given viable suggestions for improvement. Kenneth (2002).
1.7 Limitations of the Study
An in-depth research work into the function of local government service commission in manpower development involves the dynamic use of several variable which are subject to change since issues relating to manpower development cannot be approached to as static phenomenon, hitherto these need information to be updated to reflect on new circumstances.
The inadequate of data base compounded by the inability of local government service commission office change with the responsibility of executing manpower development to main comprehensive records, made plodding through many files and interview/discussion a comparatively difficult tasks.
Generally, the kind of technical a researcher uses depends to a great extent on the availability find.
Therefore, to carry out such an extensive research of this nature, one need to expand resources which is regrettably in short supply.
1.8 Definition of Key Terms
According to Shehu Adamu (2003), manpower development can be defined as a personnel process which attempt to provide adequate human resources to achieve future organizational objective.
Is use to facilitating management employees who perform non-routine job.
A role is a position that can be act by an individual.
Is applies almost exclusively to a worker in an organization as against country or state within a country.
Is an assessment of the effectiveness
Is a systematic evaluation of individual performance on the job.
Is used to refer to training itself control obedience to regulation authority
Is dealing with regard to informal grievances rest with personnel.
Is the acquiring of additional skills techniques and method in order to become more competent on the job.
Summary, Recommendation and Conclusion
The entire research work was organized into five chapters that shows the importance of manpower development, professional building and service delivery in Kogi state civil service.
- Chapter one which is the introductory chapter started with the background of study, followed by statement of the problem, objectives of the study. It also entail scope and limitation of the study which clearly shows the research work limitation.
- Chapter two was made up of the research comprehensive objectives in conducting this research work. The literature review of manpower development, professional building and service delivery, the research also look at the concept of Local Government, importance of manpower development and different means of manpower development.
- Chapter three also look at research methodology or techniques adopted in the collection of arranging and diagnoses of data.
- In chapter four, the research tried to analyze the presentation and interpretation of data in tabular form with hypotheses testing of the relationship of civil servant training and manpower development.
- Chapter five which of course is the final chapter of the research work and which successfully contained the comprehensive manner or summary conclusion, recommendation and bibliography of the research work objectives, pertaining the manpower development, professional building and service delivery.
The employees in any organization remain the most invaluable asset for growth and development. Training and re-training are essential components of manpower development. Manpower development and training play a major, if not decisive, role in promoting efficient service delivery at the grassroots as services will be rendered by competent and skillful personnel; these personnel functions (manpower development and professional building) benefit individuals, enterprises and the economy and society at large; and they can make local government function better in carrying out their duties to the people in local area.
It is the contention of this research work that if local governments in Nigeria, Kogi state inclusive embarks on effective and efficient manpower development and professional building, it will enhanced skills acquisition of their civil servant, hence, service delivery at thegrassroots will be improved and be more efficient and quality of life in rural area will be better. Nevertheless, some caveats were observed and solutions were proffered to them.
The world is developing in an unprecedented speed and the rate of poor or deficient service delivery caused by poor skills and expertise knowledge of Local Government civil servant on one hand and poor training programme by the government on the other hand is growing fast which Nigerian Local Government may not be able cope with.
There is need to put in place monitoring and supervisory committee to monitor field officers in-charge of service delivery. Specific attention should be paid to monitoring of waste disposal officers, community health workers, officer in charge of accident rescue service, road traffic control officers. This will avoid the request for kickbacks or bribe from the people. Also, the monitoring team should beam their monitoring lights on newly provided services like bore-hole, infrastructures ( town halls, shopping centers, lock-up shops or kiosks etc.).
This research holds the view that for an effective and efficient service to be rendered and delivered in Kogi state a fast approach requiring a combination of training strategies need to be adopted. To this end, emphasis should be laid on later, inter alia; efficient service delivery and rural development through proper training of civil servant and manpower development.
More funds should be given to manpower development and capacity building because through this process, civil servant can be equipped with requisite skills and abilities for rendering adequate and efficient service delivery in Nigeria. If Kogi state is to achieve efficient service delivery that will promote rural development as well as make its civil servant more specialized and professional her training procedures and manpower development curriculum must be designed to be functional and productive rather than obsolete. The option of an enhanced regulatory capability on the part of the government for effective enforcement of manpower policies should not be taken for granted. This is quite indispensable based on the need to ensure quality manpower developmentirrespective of sex, class, ethnic affiliation to mention a few. This point could best be appreciated considering the liberal nature of most government policies which tends to snowball into elitists benefit in terms of policy nature.
The need for federal and state government to be persuasive in making local government embraces well designed policies of manpower development and professional capacity building. This could be done both internally and externally. Internally, local councils should be made to see reasons why a careful manpower development plan should form part of their plans and objectives for the financial year. As a matter of fact, the success of Local governments should not only be measured in terms of the magnitude of trained civil servant, but basically on the contribution of the local government in enlarging and enhancing efficient service delivery through manpower development. The external factor involves the contribution of local government councils to the development of manpower through financial support meant to boost civil servant training, on-the job training, and specialized research institutes to mention a few.
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦5,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731
|Acc No: 1225513212
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS
|Make Payment of 120 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Cloud Osabutey | MTN MoMo
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: The Role Of Local Government Service Commission In Manpower Development
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply