The Role Of Contributory Pension Scheme In The Economic Development Of Nigeria
In this research work titled the role of contributory pension scheme in the economic development of Nigeria. The researcher examined the impact of contributory pension scheme in the economic growth of Nigeria. evaluated the contribution of the scheme to the welfare of pensioners in Nigeria. The information for the study was collected using primary and secondary methods of data collection. For a primary data collection, while existing literature relevant to the topic was consulted for the secondary data.
The research used chi-square statistical model to analyze the data. The researcher found out that Contributory pension scheme has significant impact on the economic growth of Nigeria. Contributory pension scheme contributes to the welfare of pensioners in Nigeria. Based on the findings the researcher recommend that Government and the National Pension Commission must ensure effective monitoring, supervision and enforcement of the provisions of the Pension Reform Act, 2004 that introduced the new contributory pension scheme in Nigeria. Firms and other organizations must ensure effective implementation, compliance and application of the elements of the new contributory pension scheme that will enhance employee retirement benefits.
Table Of Contents
- Title page ii
- Approval Page iii
- Dedication iv
- Acknowledgement v
- Abstract vi
- Table of Contents vii
- 1.1 Background of the Study 1
- 1.2 Statement of the Problem 3
- 1.3 Objective of the Study 4
- 1.4 Research Question 4
- 1.5 Research Hypothesis 5
- 1.6 Significance of the Study 6
- 1.7 Scope and Limitations of the Study 8
- 1.8 Definition of Operational Terms 10
- References 12
- Review Of Related Literature
- 2.1 An Overview 13
- 2.2 Historical Development of Contributory Pension Scheme in Nigeria 14
- 2.3 The development of Pension administration in Nigeria 18
- 2.4 An Assessment of the Impact of Contributory Pension Scheme to Nigerian Economic Development 20
- 2.5 The role of Contributory Pension Scheme in Nigeria 28
- 2.6 The Regulatory Bodies and their role in Contributory pension scheme 29
- 2.7 Evaluation of the Application of the Contributory Pension Scheme On Employee Retirement Benefits in Nigeria 37
- 2.8 The Problems of Contributory Pension Scheme 42
- 2.9 Elements of the New Contributory Pension Scheme 45
- References 47
- Research Methodology And Design
- 3.1 An Overview 50
- 3.2 Source of Data 50
- 3.2.1 Primary data 51
- 3.2.2 Secondary data 51
- 3.3 Population of the Study 52
- 3.4 Sample size and Sampling Techniques 53
- 3.5 Instrument used in determining the sample size 55
- Data Presentation Analysis, Discussion Of Finding
- 4.1 An overview 57
- 4.2 Data presentation 58
- 4.3 Data Analysis 60
- 4.4 Testing of Hypothesis 70
- 4.5 Discussion of Findings 77
- Summary Of Findings, Conclusion And Recommendations.
- 5.1 Summary of Findings 79
- 5.2 Conclusions 80
- 5.3 Recommendations 81
- 5.4 Suggestions for Further Studies 83
- Bibliography 84
- Appendixes 87
- Sample questionnaire 88
1.1 Background of the Study
Nigeria being a former colony of Britain, it’s been argued, received a pension tradition into her public sector that is entirely modeled after the British structure. Nigeria pension’s scheme had started in 1951 when the then colonial British administration established a scheme through an instrument called Pension Ordinance. It, however, had a retroactive effective from 1946 and applied only to Untied Kingdom officials posted to Nigeria. The law allowed the Governor General to grant pensions and gratuities in accordance with the regulations, which were reviewed from time to time with the approval of the Secretary of State for Colonial Affairs in the United Kingdom government. Vesting period was fixed at 10 years of service. The whole of the Ordinance Acts and Decree is capped up in the Decree No. 102 of 1979, which took effect from April 1, 1974. It consolidated all enactments on pensions and in corporate pension and gratuities seals devised for public officers by the Udoji Public Service Review Concision in 1974. In the same way, Pension Act No. 103 of 1979 like its counterpart Decree No. 102, of 1979, on the other hand, dealt with pension benefits, liabilities and seals devised for the agreed forces.
The main features of these pension schemes include that civil servants bore no direct responsibility, by way of payroll tax, for the provision of pension; instead pension benefits were paid through budgetary allocations to be kept in the Consolidated Revenue Fund. Thus, in most cases, the amount released usually fell short of the actual appropriation for pension payment.
1.2 Statement of problem
The following problems led to the formation of this research work;
- Previous studies has shown that due to poor management and dubious characters of many Nigerians, contributory pension scheme has not impacted significantly to the economic growth of Nigeria.
- In the past decades, contributory pension scheme in Nigeria has not been taking care of the welfare of the pensioners.
- Poor management of Nigerian pension scheme hampers the relationship between contributory pension scheme and the development of Nigerian pension scheme.
1.3 Objective of the study
The aim of this project work is to examine the role of contributory pension scheme in the economic development of Nigeria. The general objectives of this research work includes the following;
- To examine the impact of contributory pension scheme in the economic growth of Nigeria.
- To evaluate the contribution of the scheme (contributory pension scheme) to the welfare of pensioners in Nigeria.
- To examine the relationship between contributory pension scheme and the development of Nigerian pension scheme.
1.4 Research questions
- What are the impacts of contributory pension scheme in the economic growth of Nigeria?
- To what extent do contributory pension scheme contribute to the welfare of pensioners in Nigeria.
- What are the relationships between contributory pension scheme and the development of Nigerian pension scheme?
1.5 Research Hypotheses
- Ho; Contributory pension scheme do not have any impact on the economic growth of Nigeria.
H1; Contributory pension scheme has significant impact on the economic growth of Nigeria.
- Ho; Contributory pension scheme do not contribute to the welfare of pensioners in Nigeria.
Ho; Contributory pension scheme contributes to the welfare of pensioners in Nigeria.
- Ho; There is no relationship between contributory pension scheme and the development of Nigerian pension scheme.
H1; There is significant relationship between contributory pension scheme and the development of Nigerian pension scheme.
1.6 Significance of the Study
This research work will be of immense help to the researcher:
- To know more on the role of contributory pension scheme in the economic development of Nigeria.
- It will also be of great help to the stake holders as it will enrich their knowledge on the role of contributory pension scheme in the country.
- The study will be of great important to pensioners in Nigerian as it enlighten them on the role of contribution pension scheme on their welfare.
- This will equally help the insurance companies and financial institutions in Nigeria because when they abide by recommendations provided by the researcher it will help then in time of financial crisis.
- This study will be of a great importance to the country Nigeria as it will help the policy makers to promulgate laws that will guide the activities of Nigerian contributory pension scheme for the growth and development of the country.
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: The Role Of Contributory Pension Scheme In The Economic Development Of Nigeria
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply