The Relevance Of Computer In Management Information System
Is the computer really a new frontier opportunity and means to solve our problem is it of any help to management information system. It is the aim of research work to concentrate on computerization of management information system application of computer to customer billing system in NITEL Plc and application of computers to any transaction. The research who has chapter. Chapter one contains a general discussion of computer, its invention. It went further to state problem to be studies, meaning of management information system why this study was carried out, the scope and limitation of the study. Related literature of many authors on management information system were reviews. The data was collected through questionnaire observation and direct interview in chapter three all these were summarized and interpreted. Finally discussion of results and finding, can be seen or chapters four and five. If NITEL Plc Enugu would put the recommendations made in the study in use they will not only stratify customers with services offered, but a continuous increase in profit made thereby making NITEL problem a thing of the part.
1.1 Background of the Study
It is said that to mange on organization is to manage its future. How can the future be management? The answer through a timely procurement of relevant and reliable information is the complement of its procurement. The whole lot of activities therefore ranging form information procurement through its collation validation and analysis to feedback make up what can be seen as a system. The type of system in management is known as management information system (MIS)
Management information system is the formal processes of data collection organization analysis processing and dispersing of information internal and external to the organization in an effective and efficient manner (LUCEY 1987) it entail not only any organized and interacted approach at placing relevant and timely information on the desk of the manager to aid decision making (Modile 1995) but also the control and accessibility any plant on time as may be demanded by management.
Primary the MIS. is set up for the purpose of providing planned and controlled information to all levels of management to effect appropriate decision making This it does by gathering data imputing and processing them into information and further disseminating these items of information to managers in the from of financial as well as non financial information system can be subdivided into functions information system such as marketing information system the financial information system and the present information system and so on depending on the type of organization.
How does the management information system organizations serve various level a of management. The answer is not for fetched for instance for the lower management concerned with the day to day process of supervision and direction of the routine activities of the organization, whose decision are often repetitive with short time horizon and few uncertainties, the MIS provides operational information which are mainly historical detailed largely and narrow in scope. Also it provides and direct the operations and function of the organization. Finally, to the top management, organization as a whole in addition to the formulation of objective the development of strategies, policies and tactics that are to be adopted in achieving organizational goals the MIS provides strategies information which are largely external, forward looking and mostly qualitative.
This, the management information system (MIS) provides management with varying information depending on the level thereby making for increase on the efficiency of the organization through better management decision, more effective utilization of resources increased profits betters and less costly administration.
- MIS performs four basic functions collection of data from a variety of sources. This means obtaining facts such as records of the day transactions of the organization either by observation or research from both external and internal source.
- Efficient organization of data accessing and storing data in database. A database is on organized collection of data. For instance, an ordinary hand written address book is an example of a simple manually maintained database.
- Data procession into information upon which is to be used by management. Data is stored, analyzed compared, calculated and generally worked on to produce message in the from required by the manager, which is then termed information.
- Presenting data in a meaning and useful from. This could be by mans of various kind of reports including stoical reports such as sales analyses and control information such as budget variance reports.
These functions, the MIS can performed either manually or with the aid of machines many organizations manually operate their management information system and due to the enormous quantity of data/information are being used lot paperwork is involved. In tray (documents) serve as input for data white reports and statement sheets form the output. Filling cabinets where in records and files are kept, serve as the device for storing information.
However owning to the fact that organization have grown in size, the information flow has become so enormous that face to-face. Communications and even written memoranda can ob longer effective adequate communication or effective processing of data. The MIS of these organizations have this in recent times found it difficult to meet with the increasing demand being made on it for information. As a result, the manual means of operation is jam packed with scores of data to be processed. Hence Delng and in accuracies in data collection and analysis. Delng often makes decision making to be on accurate. Also, there is the problem of misappropriation of important documents or even cases of stolen files.
These lapses amongst others have put a question make on the manually assisted MIS, hence, solutions have been sought in the introduction of mechanization with particular inference to the use of computers.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
Investigation has shown that before introduction computers in the MIS department of NITEL PLC, Enugu, the manually operated MIS indicated lapses which often beat the imagination of managers. Consequently the processes of decision making was almost reduced to guess work due to the absence of an effective and enduring information and retrieval system. this affected the general productivity of NITEL.
However the computerization of the MIS department, not only was the problem of competence in decision-making achieved but also information storage and retrieval systems become effectively. But has NITEL PLC been fairing well with the computerization of its MIS? The colossal financial loss by the parastatal via unpaid telephone bills and other fraudulent practices have thrown a spanner in the wheels of NITEL and has justified the prickle of Cursed by the researcher upon which satisfaction the research sought by asking the following question.
- Has the computerization of the MIS department of NITEL PLC Enugu actually improved management operations and decision making?
- Are customers effectively and satisfaction served better now with the computerization of NITEL’S department?
- How fraud been mitigated in NITEL PLC?
- Since The Computerization on the MIS department has the profitability level of NITEL PLC been in a progressive fraud?
These are the problems which this work seeks solve
1.3 Objective of the Study
The objective of the study are
- To ascertain the extent to which computer information helps to solve the problems of the manual system.
- To find out those areas on which management of computerization firms have failed to take advantage of the service of the computer within the organization well as analysis area.
- To identify a frame work for analyzing a company with a computerized management information system with a view to deduce the benefits or otherwise in taking such decision.
- To determine the operational performance of the computer system with particular reference to MIS department of NITEL PLC Enugu and the problem associated with the use of machine
- To make necessary recommendation
1.4 Significance of the Study
The satisfactory operation and control of an organization rests to great extent on information or data. Data processing for business purposed is not an in itself but is used by management to assist in achieving its objective is of providing goods and services making prior dealing fairing with employees customer, suppliers and satisfying legal requirements regarding the keeping of records. This could be enhanced by the introduction of the computer in the management information system.
This project will highlight the importance of computers in the management information system and heighten the emphasis by comparing the computerized system of operation to the manual.
Whereas this work appears to be more beneficial to those persons with sapient knowledge of management process will find valuable
1.5 Scope of the Study
The scope of this study is only confined to the MIS department of NITEL PLC Enugu with particular reference to the designated area of MIS which control customers billing system. The adopting of the billing system will help in providing the relationship between the billing system and the profitability level.
1.6 Limitation of the Study
In carrying out this study the researcher faced some constraints like the non availability of the adequate information on the topic.
The task of selecting a particular organization for case study was difficult due to lack of computerization of the management information system department of NITEL PLC as a case study.
Also the researcher observation some degree of reluctance and reservation on the port of the respondents who were orally interviewed. The individuals in positions of authority were not forthcoming when their views were sought on issues partly because the issues discussed were sensitive ones and could endanger their position however this was their premonition. Also the increasing cost documentation and the protracted scarcity syndrome of fuel are other constraints to the timely complete of this work.
1.7 Definition of Terms
These are artificially conceived structures with a pattern of ways in which large number of people, engaged in complexity of work or tasks relate themselves to each other in the conscious systematic establishment and accomplishment of manually agreed purposes.
This is the process by which those charged with the responsibility of running the affairs of an organization discharged such responsibility.
A representation of facts concepts or instructions information. Data that has been collected, analyzed manipulated and gain meaning which is capable of initiating action. Relevant information that is useable by the manager for decision making. It must be timely, appropriate. Accurate detailed and understandable .
The execution of a systematic sequence of operations performed upon data to generate information.
These are directive information that have to be acted upon by middle management in order to implement strategies. These comprise information on marketing, manufacturing research and development etc.
These are broad information that specifies the company pattern of objectives purposes or goals and major policies and plans for achieving these goals stated in such a way as to define what business a company is in.
These are operational information used to control the day-today activities of the organization. Information meeting scheduling and circular are examples of routine information.
A collection of structured data with minimum duplication which is common to all user of the system but is independent of program which use the data.
An electric devices that accepts data from an input devices perform some kind of manipulation on the data in accordance with pre-defined instructions and transfers the processed data to an input devices in final printed from.
The means of data processing procedure using pencil, pen, adding machine calculator etc.
Conclusion and Recommendation
After analyzing the data and testing the hypotheses, the following major conclusions were reached:
- There are no statistically significant effect for the equipment & software on the performance of organizations
- There are statistical significant effects for the networks within governmental organizations on the performance of organizations.
- There are statistical significant effects for individuals & procedures on the performance of organizations.
- There are statistical significant effect for the variables of MIS as a whole and the performance of organizations.
- There is a strong relationship between networks within the organization and doing business well.
- Individual & procedures have a large & active role in the government’s performance in general.
- There are strong relationships between MIS and improving performance within governmental organizations.
According to the finding of the study we can give some suggestions that might help managers in the governmental organizations to improve the performance of governmental organizations.
- Updating information systems continuously and top management support to the role of MIS in improving governmental organizations performance.
- Engaging employee of governmental organizations in the analysis, design, construction and development of information system.
- Train employee on how to use information system to improve their performance.
How To Get The Complete Material For “The Relevance Of Computer In Management Information System“
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: The Relevance Of Computer In Management Information System
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply