A Quality Analysis Of The Thickness Of Part And Corrugated Asbetes Roofing Sheets Of Emenite Limited Enugu
This project work is designed to give an insight into the application of statistical quality control in the building products industries in order to help manufacturers understand the importance of applying statistical techniques in controlling quality products. In addition to make consumers have faith in standard quality of products they buy.
It must also be remembered that goods are competitive, for producers to excel in the competitive market; their products must match in quality with those of their counterparts.
This project work has seemingly and exhaustively x-rays the quality of Emenite roofing products in order to check why products are not meeting customers expectations. From the analysis using statistical quality control procedures that discovered that corrugated sheets staged from their means which consequently resulted from the process average being out of control.
Generally, this research work is a bird eye new of what quality control techniques can do for checking, monitoring and enhancing products quality.
Table Of Contents
- Title page
- Table of contents
- 1.1 Background of the study
- 1.2 Purpose of the study
- 1.3 Significance of the study
- 1.4 Statement of research problem
- 1.5 Research hypothesis
- 1.6 Scope of the study
- 1.7 Definition of key terms
- 2.1 Introduction
- 2.2 Meaning of statistical quality control
- 2.3 Origin of quality control
- 2.4 Statistical techniques in quality control
- 2.5 Important of statistical quality control officer
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Data collection method
- 3.3 Population and sample
- 3.4 Technique for analysis
Presentation, Analysis and Interpretation of Data
- 4.1 Introduction
- 4.2 Quality control chart
- 4.3 Laboratory record of measurement of flatsheets
- 4.4 Laboratory record of measurement of corrugated sheet
- 4.5 To check process average & variability for that sheet
- 4.6 To check process average & variability for corrugated
- 4.7 Determination of the process standards
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
- 5.1 Summary
- 5.2 Conclusion
- 5.3 Recommendation
1.1 Background of the Study
Emenite Limited Enugu a member of the Beligian Etex Group started operation in 1963 under the name “Turners Asbestos Cement Company Nigeria Limited: The company was incorporated in 1961 with registration number RC 2712.
The group came to Nigeria with the establishment of her first of four companies in Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria Limited. The other three are Eternite Limited, Sapele, Giwarite Limited, Kano and Emenite Limited, Enugu.
Emenite Limited after being established have to following as shareholders.
- Turners & Newall Ltd – 80%
- Government of Eastern Nigeria – 20%
As a result of the indigenization decree of 1973, the shareholders of the company changed as follows
- Turners & Newall Ltd – 60%
- Government of Eastern Nigeria – 40%
With the name of the company changing to Turners Building Product (Emene) Limited.
Due to dwindling fortunes of the company, in March 24, 1988 Turners and Newall Ltd divested its interest in the company and transferred 51% of its shareholding to Eteroutremer Societe Anonyme of Belgium (now Etex Group S.A) and the balance of 49% went to the then Anambra and Imo State; now Anambra, Enugu, Imo, Abia and Ebonyi States. As a result of the new shareholding arrangement, the company changed its name to Emenite Limited as its presently known.
Emenite Limited after being established in 1963 rolled out her first finished sheets in December that year. The company has a total workforce as at its establishment of 67 staff, its second machine was installed in 1979 while the third was installed in 1983. From a workforce of 67 to 225 staff, from one shift machine to three, from 14,000 tonnes of roofing and ceiling sheets to 50,000 tonnes per year. The company has continued to grow tremendously.
The company has made considerable progress in terms of product development in the market. It operates in the roofing and ceiling market, its range of products include: Bigsix & standard ultimate corrugated sheets of different colours (Grey, Red & Green), prestige concrete tile, Emcee flat sheet, duraceile decorative ceiling, Emlux decorative ceiling as well as Qualitile decorative ceiling and a new product called duratile. These products are sold through a wide range of distribution network located in such a place that they will be close to project sites. Emenite is 150 certified, 150 9002 in 1998, 180 9001 in 2002.
It is the company’s quality policy to provide high quality building products to the markets. But much recently there have been complaints from building and construction companies over the quality durability of her products. It is in view of this problem this research work is being undertaken.
1.2 Purpose of the Study
Consumers of goods and services rely on quality standard products displayed for consumers. What is responsible for this trend? Is statistical quality control standard still made use of in industries? This are what this research project intend to solve and make appropriate recommendation.
The project research will
- Determine the process standards and establish the process capability
- Check if the process average and variability are under control in respect of the measurement of flat sheet.
- Check if the process average and variability are under control in respect of the measurement of corrugated sheets
- Set up appropriate control charts for monitoring the future output of the process.
1.3 Significance of the Study
The significance of this research work is to provide information for the management to fine – tune its quality policy concerning their products as obtained in this analysis of this research work. This will be of benefits t o the producers and consumers as well.
1.4 Statement of Research Problem
There have been complaints and doubts that most asbestos roofing sheets in recent times full short of required standard, also whether established standardize are still maintained. This was as a result of reported cases of easy damage and non-durable nature of these sheets.
In view of this, the researcher intends to carry out this research using Emenite Limited Enugu as a case study.
1.5 Research Hypothesis
- H0: The process is under control in respect of the average and variability of the measurement of flat sheets.
H1: The process is not under control in respect of the average and variability of the measurement of flat sheets
- H0: The process is under control in respect of the average and variability of the measurement of corrugated sheets
H1: The process is not under control in respect of the average and variability of the measurement of corrugated sheets.
1.6 Scope of the Study
The scope of this study is limited to Emenite only in order to conclude the research work at the assigned period and the findings will be used to infer on the industry.
1.7 Definition of Key Terms
This is a deviation from the normal standard or condition
These are sets of figures, raw information that is yet to be processed. e.g population data, employment data etc.
It is the graphical display of the actual measurement of the characteristic on a chart showing limit which reflect the process capability on the particular quality characteristics.
This is the act of observing the functions of each of the factors leading to the production of goods on a continuous basis to ensure the process or means of production are kept in optimum conditions.
Product control is the act of measuring or observing different attributes of quality specification of a product with the aim of ensuring that the product conform to specification. This is done of taking a sample from a batch of inspection lot with the aim of accepting or rejecting it.
Statistical Quality Control:
This is the technique of sampling at every stage of production and statistical inferences are taken about the variability of the product quality.
This is the mini9mum spread of specific measurement variation which will include about 99.73% of all measurements from the process.
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
To obtain result on use of statistical quality as control in the roofing sheets productive of Emenite Ltd, Enugu, the researcher conducted an in-depth appraisal of the subject matter by collecting and analyzing relevant data.
From the research work it has been established that the rule of statistical quality control in industries is enormous. Intact, as maintenance by Daniel W. Tervel J.C. (1992) “the life and health of a business depend on the quality of the products it produces. Industries can only perform well when there is proper quality control this research has revealed tremendous problem facing quality control in Emenite Ltd which is poor record keeping. It has clearly shown that if the source of data is wrong, the analysis cannot be right. Therefore, only when we learn how to keep accurate and comple records for analysis we can achieve measurable improvement in the quality of our products.
From the practical survey carried out in the course of this research work has yielded the following findings:
- The result from the analysis in table 4.1 and 4.2 shows that the process average and variability of flat sheets was under quality control. But however, the process average of corrugated sheets as indicated in table 4.3 show that and 5 points fall outside the upper and lower control limits respectively which implies that the process means was out of control. But the process variability for the corrugated sheets was in statistical quality control.
- The process average for flat sheet is 3.14mm.
- The process range for flat sheet is 0.55 which indicate a low variability in the flat sheets.
Coefficient of variation (C.V) = 0.55/3.14 x 100% = 17.5%
- The process average for corrugated sheet is 4.09mm
- The process range for corrugated sheet is 0.39 which indicate a low variability in the corrugated sheets.
Coefficient if variation (C.V) 0.39/4.09 x 10 = 9.5%.
In order to improve on the quality of Emenite’s flat and corrugated sheets. I give the following recommendation.
- The management of Emenite Ltd should endeavour to give priority attention to record keeping in order to improve quality of its products
- Operators should be careful in handling the different stages involved in the production process.
- The entire process of Bixsix corrugated sheets production should be modified.
- The quality control department of Emenite Ltd should device more efficient method of carrying out test and must report to the appropriate department when a change in any process mean is detected.
How To Get The Complete Material For A Quality Analysis Of The Thickness Of Part And Corrugated Asbetes Roofing Sheets Of Emenite Limited Enugu
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN CLIENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- A Quality Analysis Of The Thickness Of Part And Corrugated Asbetes Roofing Sheets Of Emenite Limited Enugu
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To Your Email Address After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply