Public Perception Of Nigerian Advertisement
1.1 Background to the Study
Advertising is a form of communication through the media about product, services, ideas, personalities or organizations, paid for by an identified sponsor. Alide in Okunna (2002).
Bovee and Arens (1985) gave a more widely accepted definition of advertising as the non-personal communication of information, usually paid form of persuasive information about products (goods and services) or ideas by an identified sponsor through various media. It is an exciting, dynamic, and challenging enterprise.
Its often a persuasive communication in that it tries to persuade the reader, the listener or the viewer to take to the sponsor’s own point of view and also to take some appropriate action. It is not personal or face to face communication; rather it is directed to a group of people.
Wright and Zeight (1982:10). Advertising is also controlled, identifiable information and persuasion by means of mass communication media. Gillran Dyer says that in its simplest sense, the word “advertising” means drawing attention to something or notifying or informing somebody of something.
According to the understanding of advertising practitioners council of Nigeria (APCON) “advertising is a form of communication through the media about products, services or ideas, paid for by an identified sponsor”.
The practice of advertising in Nigeria has been legalized. The legalized was masterminded by APCON which was established by Decree 55 of 1988 amended by Decree 93 of 1992. The APCON, as produced by the code of advertising practice is charged with the responsibility of among other things.
- Determining who are advertisers
- Conducting examinations in the profession and,
- Regulating and controlling advertising in all this aspects and ramifications.
The strict adherence to the provisions of this, code has really made advertising an interest oriented, fascinating and fantastic professions. In recent years, the practice of advertising no longer enjoy its good essence. Following the introduction of fraudulent and unethical practice in the business of advertising the profession is fast loosing credibility and interest.
The code of Advertising practice catalogue the essence of good advertising as outlined below. The codes provide that all advertisement in Nigeria should;
- Be legal, decent, honest, truthful and respectful of Nigeria’s culture.
- Be prepared with a high sense of social responsibility and should not show disregard for the interest of consumers and the wider Nigeria society.
- Conform to the principles of fair competition generally accepted in business and fair comment expected in human communication.
- Enhance public confidence in advertising. Unfortunately advertisers have chosen the unethical means of practicing this profession, neglected the good sense of advertising which revolves around social responsibility.
In his words, Osunbiyi (1999:27) “advertising on the whole can be rumours, i.e it can be deceptive and misleading. It can manipulate the “vulnerable psyche”. No doubt, advertising can be ruinous when some illegal advertisers make claims that are untrue about a product of services.
As the consumers of such product testifies that the claims surrounding the product are not time, he automatically stops patronage. To this end the research will study the perception of people in the state of Osun on the advertisement on various media
1.2 Statement of the Problems
In the bid to maximize profit in the prevalent get rich-quick syndrome of some fraudulent entrepreneurs, some indulge in ill-practice of advertising. These unethical practice thus, endangers the well-being of the society and the Nigeria culture in particular.
Absolute social responsibility to the customers of advertised goods and service is not ensured due to the fact that buyers are often misled by chronic imitators.
Osunbiyi (1999:31) reiterates that deception perhaps, is the worse criticism of advertising in that it is assumed that information given is just to deceive the public.
1.3 Objectives of the Study
- To examine whether people of the State of Osun perceive Nigeria advertisement negatively or positive.
- To study if advertisement deceive the people of the state of Osun towards buying a product and service.
- To know which of the advertising medium stimulates and influences the people.
- To examine whether there are untrue statement on Nigeria advertisement.
- To know whether product and service serve the people of the state of Osun the same purpose as advertised.
1.6 Research Questions
- Do State of Osun people perceive Nigeria advertisement negatively or positive?
- Does advertisement deceive the people of the state of Osun towards buying a product and service?
- Which of the advertising medium stimulates and influences the people of the state of Osun most?
- Do people perceive some untrue statement on Nigeria Advertisement?
- Do product and service served the people of the state of Osun the same purpose as advertised?
1.5 Significance of the Study
It is the belief of the researcher that this study will be useful to lots of students, scholars, consumers of goods and services policy makers, advertisers, advertising agencies and advertising researchers would stand to gain a lot from the facts contained in this work.
This study upholds the high standard of an ideal advertising practice and therefore benefits the advertisers and consumers of advertised goods and services. It will serve as an eye opener to a good sense of advertising. It will form part of the academic materials that will be useful to other researchers and students.
1.6 Scope of the Study
The work has been narrowed in scope due of the time, geographical locations, fund and other logistics, the study is narrowed down to Osun State as a case study because will be very difficult to study all the states in the country. And Osun state will be divided into three (3) Senatorial Districts.
1.7 Definition of the Terms
This is a term used to refer to people generally in society such as the people of the state of Osun.
It means the view, attitude, understanding and opinion of people of the state of Osun on advertisement.
This is a paid form of information to persuade and stimulate people use or buy a product or service using a medium of communication which could be electronic, GSM, SIM card, drink e.t.c
This means to assess the quality or value of advertisement on the people of Osun state
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: Public Perception Of Nigerian Advertisement
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply