The Problems Of Local Government Administration (A Case Study Of Mbaitolu Local Government Area)
This project dealt with /on the problems of local government Administration. A case study of Mbaitolu local government Area.
In chapter one, are discussed in details the background of the study, statement of the problems, objectives of the study, significance of the study and research questions.
The chapter two dealt with the literature review under which in one way or the other gave rise to useful suggestion to the research problem.
Chapter three dealt with the presentation of research methods used in this study research design, methods of data collection, sample size, sampling techniques and data analysis techniques.
The chapter four of this research finding treated presentation and analysis of data under which only questions relating to the research questions were used in the study and calculation was based on the responds from the questions distributed, and finally in chapter five, the researcher made their summary and recommendations to the establishment of the topic Problems of Local Government Administration, a case study of Mbaitolu Local Government Area.
Table Of Content
- Title page
- Approval page
- Table of content
- 1.1 Background of the study
- 1.2 Statement of the study
- 1.3. Objectives of the study
- 1.4. Research question
- 1.5. Significance of the study
- 1.6. Scope of the study
- 1.7 Limitations of the study
- 1.8. Definition of terms
2.0 Literature Review
- 2.1 Introduction
- 2.2 Literature Review
- 2.3 Problems of local government administration
3.0. Research Design/Methodology
- 3.1. Introduction
- 3.2. Research design
- 3.3. Sources/methods of data collection
- 3.4. Population and sample size
- 3.5. Sample techniques
- 3.6. Validity and reliability of measuring instrument
- 3.7. Methods of data analysis
4.0. Presentation and Analysis of Data
- 4.1. Introduction
- 4.2. Presentation of data
- 4.3. Analysis of data
- 4.4. Interpretation of results.
5.0. Summary / Conclusion and Recommendations
- 5.1. Introduction
- 5.2. Summary of findings
- 5.3. Conclusion
- 5.4. Recommendations
1.1 Background Of The Study
Mbaitolu became a local government in 1989 with it’s headquarters at Nwaorieubi (during) by Ibrahim Babangida regime. This local government since 1989 had about eighteen different administration of regime made up of thirty autonomous communities namely: Amanike mberi, ezi mbieri, awo mberi, ihite mberi, umueze mberi, isi ogbaku,obinze, ubonum, umunoha, obinoha, Azara, zfeakala, nkwanu, ogbunom, Afara, Amaochafara, Ezinza and it has a population of three million, nine thousand people. This area have their peculiar problems such as lack of electricity, portable water, bad roads, dilapidated infrastructures etc among other problem.
Mbaitolu local government area has meager revenue base these administration have tried to grapple with the problem on high turnover rate of administration has impacted negatively on the community policies for the development of Mbaitolu local government area.
The expediency for the creation of local government anywhere in the word starts from the need to facilitate development at the grass root. The importance of local government is a function of its ability to generate sense of belonging, safety and satisfaction among its populace. All forms of government, regimes or political system have so far ensured the attainment of goals. Such strategy for ensuring national administrative development and political efficiency is found in the concept and practice of local government. Whatever is made of government, local government has been essentially regarded as the path to, and guarantee of national integration, administration and development.
In Nigeria, social-political context with multiplicity of culture, diversity of languages and differentiated needs and means, the importance of such an organization is fostering the needed national consciousness, unity and relative uniformity as well as presentation of peculiar diversities cannot be overemphasized central too the creation of local government, however, it’s ability to facilitate an avenue through which government and the people intermix, relate quickly than any other means to resolve issues that may have healed the system.
Local government has been perceived as a panacea for the diverse problem of the diverse problem of diverse people with diverse culture. As important as this tier of government has been, there seems to be some impediments range from political but undue interference of the higher levels of government i.e. federal and state government, bribery and corruption to embezzlement and gross inadequacy of well trained Personnel. Frequent changes in local government administration and qualified personnel to mention a few.
1.2. Statement Of The Problem
The problems of local government administration have been a bane to national and grass root developments. The essence of local government creation as the third tier of government was to ensure effectiveness, measurable and efficient service delivery to the people. But local government is faced with various difficulties such as the following as identified by the researcher. Those problem ranges from political but undue interference of higher level of government i.e. federal and state government, bribery and corruption to embezzlement and gives inadequately well trained personnel.
For the purpose of the research question which are of great relevance to the actualization of the objectives of the work
- Why was Mbaitolu local government created?
- What are the main sources of Mbaitolu local government revenue?
- What is the impact of frequency changes of local government administrator and the frequent changes on social transformation?
- What is the level of local/state government relationship especially as it concerns Mbaitolu local government?
- What are the causes of local government problems?
- How can these problems be eliminated?
1.3. Objectives Of The Study
The researcher work is strutted to achieve the following objectives.
- To determine the degree in development of communities from the execution development project by Mbaitolu government.
- To ascertain the level of regularity and adequacy of all constitutionally approve revenue source and their capability in execution of development project Mbaitolu local government communities.
- To examine the political and economic linkages between the frequent charges of local government administration and the intent of the state chief executor.
- To determine the level of corruption in Mbaitolu L.G.A
- To determine the extent of the third tier-ship status and autonomy of Mbaitolu government from the state and financial government.
- To find out the seriousness of the citing of Mbaitolu government chairman on the acquired project liabilities irritated but uncompleted by the executives.
- This research will also try to strike a balance between achievement in military of the political history of local government is people oriented
1.4 Research Question
- Are there development policies tagged on the entire (31) automous communities of Mbaitolu L.G.A
- Can development policy be properly implemented if there is policy continuity in the council of Mbaitolu local government area?
- Are development policies properly executed to touch the lives of the generality of Mbaitolu local government area citizens?
- Is the cause of frequent change in Mbaitolu local government linked on lack of revenue
1.5. Significance Of The Study
This study will be important to researchers, policy makers and administrative because it seeks to unveil the problems of local government administration through harnessing all those neglected function allocated to her by the 1979 constitution. This rsearch work will make way for the realization that continuity in planning and programs matters on who initiated it, makes for accelerated development of the entire autonomous communities in Mbaitolu local government area.
1.6. Scope Of The Study
The scope of this is limited to the problems of local government administration. A case study of Mbaitolu local government area.
1.7. Limitations Of The Study
The limitations of the research work contains constraints encountered during the duration of this project. Some of the restraints experienced are given below:
this was a major constraints on the work research needed attention was not given to the work due to academic work that faced the researcher being an ND finalist
owing to the financial difficulty prevalent in the country and its resultants increase in the prices of commodities, transportation fare, research materials etc.
3. Information Constraints:
Generally, Nigeria researchers have never had it easy when it comes to obtaining necessary information related to their field of study.
1.8. Definition Of Terms
To avoid ambiguity and salting away understanding, some concepts have been defined to enhance their operation. They are:
1. local government:
This means the government at the local or grassroots government exercised through elected representative to perform specific functions. Awa(1980)
2. Local Government Administration:
This is an administration, at the rural settings. It is an administration mapped out for developmental purposes through elective personnel’s who are elected to run the affairs of local people through the use of constitutional percussions and by-laws.
Are those crisis and need that human beings faced in life.
Government is a body of persons expected to carryout the day –to-day administration of the affairs of the state which involves making, interprtating and enforcing a law in a given society.
This could be defined as a process, procedures and manner in which a constitutional authority manages and direct a particular organization in order to achieve it’s\ aims and objectives.
This is a law made by local authorities (local government)
5.0 Summary, Conclusion And Recommendation
This research was conducted to examine the problem of local government administration. The information/Data gathered in respect of this project interview covered out on the respondent.
5.2. Summary Of Findings
Local government administration in an organ of the state put in place to peddle. The development activities of a particular place or district with a view of making the impact of governance be it political or military being feet at the grassroot level.
More so, local government administration is this aspect of public administration that takes place in a particular and unique sector of the communities or rural areas. Just like administration at all level, it achieves it’s goals through planning organizing, co-ordinating, directing and supervising the human, mental and financial rseaources available to the government to attend to the feet “and” unfelt needs of the masses are 50 rural (primitive) not civilized or informed that they may not be properly disposed to know what they want.
This paper examined the historical background of local government as well as the challenges it faces. While evaluating the problems of local councils in Nigeria, emphasis was placed on general indiscipline among the workers and high level of corruption in this level of government among other things.
The paper argues however that the creation of level government in most was not based on viability and development purposes are required by the constitution but on administrative convenience, connections and contracts to score cheap political goals to achieve legitimacy and enhance regime sustenance especially by the military rulers since most if not all of these creation were done by the military.
The result effect of this is that some of the local government end up in financial crisis and are unable to face the challenges of service delivery and mobilization of development of the local government areas. In some part of the country, local government, are considered as avenue for sharing point for some, which for others, it’s a private property. As a consequence therefore under developments continue to wage on as people are either ignorant of or indifferent to the rseasons for which local, governments are created.
Also worrisome is the under interference from other two levels of government. This essentially makes this level of government to have crisis of recognition and autonomy problems. The question here are: is local government truly third tier of government or a ministry under it’s respective state government while we know that the basic rationale behind the creation of local government is to meet the peculiar needs of the people at the grassroots, it is however pathetic to note that local government has demosnstarted incompetence in this regard it is therefore desirable to suggest ways through which local government could come out from this ineritia and stagnation.
1. The suggestions of this paper are based purely on experience and direct observation and are therefore practical and problem solving.
- The major purpose of creating local government is to bring developments to the grassroots. In order to perform this adequately there is need for local councils to have strong economic base. In this connection, it is suggested that statutory allocations of local councils be reviewed upwards.
- In addition to that, council’s shares of the federation account to be released to them directly to avoid lateness in the payment of salaries and arbitory deductions by state government. Local government should have representation in the Revenue Allocation and fiscal commission which determines and shares the federated revenue to the beneficiaries. It is not enough to have an upward review of councils allocations, but also advisable for local councils to look inwards for improved internally generated Revenue (IGR)
- This will make them financially self-reliant. Besides, some local council should look for ways of alternating industries to their areas as this will propel economic development and increased to their areas as this will propel economic development and increase their revenue base.
- The section 7 of the 1999 constitution that places local government under state government has made the former to be a mere appendage to the later for instance the undue state house of Assembly recently passed a bill which seeks for amend the law establishing local councils in the state. The implications of this is that intermittent reforms and undue inference do not make local. Councils stable tier of government. The fear of the National Assembly should be the creating authority of local government as this will rightly place local government as the tier of government.
2. Better Welfare Package For Staff
Workers in any organization are the ones that make things happen and as such they occupy important position in production process. This is because they put life into raw materials. In consideration of this therefore, workers in local councils should be adequately motivated in order to prepare them for the task of service delivery.
Finally, the electorate should be educated and enlightened of the danger inherent in money, politics, they should endeavor to vote for people of proven integrity rather than compromising on the alter of election. It is the belief of this paper that strict observations to these suggestions can lift local councils from their regulated positions of tools of manipulation to the aspired status of instrument of change and development at the grassroots.
3. Continuity In Governance
Most local government executive, when they assume office they also don’t continue from where their predecessors stopped. In the aspect of developmental project setup by the past administration. Also it brings about sentiment in local government system, in other words, they are sentimental in carrying out development projects.
The Problems Of Local Government Administration (A Case Study Of Mbaitolu Local Government Area)
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | +234-8143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- The Problems Of Local Government Administration (A Case Study Of Mbaitolu Local Government Area)
You may also like:
This research material “The Problems Of Local Government Administration (A Case Study Of Mbaitolu Local Government Area)” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “The Problems Of Local Government Administration (A Case Study Of Mbaitolu Local Government Area)” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.