The Problem Of Policy Implementation In Nigeria (A Case Of National Poverty Eradication Programme (NAPEP) Imo State)
This project dealt on the problems of policy implementation in Nigeria public sector (A case study of National Poverty Eradication programme (NAPEP) in chapter ones are discussed in details the background of the study, statement of the problem, objective of the study, significance of the study and research question.
Chapter two the researcher dealth with the literature review under which in one way or the other gave useful suggestion to the stated research problem.
Chapter three used in this study, research design method of data collection , sample size, sampling techniques. In chapter four treated presentation and of data under which only question relating to the research question were used in the study and calculation was based on the responses from the questionnaire distributed.
Finally in chapter five, the researcher made her summary and recommendations to the establishments of the topic the problem of policy implementation in Nigeria public sector ( A case study of national poverty eradication programme Imo state)
Table Of Contents
- Title page
- Approval page
- Table of contents
- 1.1 Background of the study
- 1.2 Statement of the problem
- 1.3 Objectives of the study
- 1.4 Research Questions
- 1.5 Significance of the study
- 1.6 Scope of the study
- 1.7 Limitations of the study
- 1.8 Definition of terms
2.0 Literature Review
- 2.1 Introduction
- 2.2 The structure of policy making under a democratic government in Nigeria
- 2.3 council of state
- 2.4 Federal executive council
- 2.5 State executive
- 2.6 Organizational structure of NAPEP
- 2.7 Implementation gap
- 2.8 Aims and objectives of the national Poverty eradication programme in Nigeria
- 2.9 NAPEP interventions in poverty alleviation
- 2.10 Findings of national poverty eradication programme/achievements
3.0 Research Methodology
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Research Design
- 3.3 Methods of data collections
- 3.4 Population and Sample size
- 3.5 Sampling techniques
- 3.6 Data Analysis techniques
4.0 Data Presentation
- 4.1 Data Analysis
- 4.2 Research findings
5.0 Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
- 5.1 Summary
- 5.2 Conclusion
- 5.3 Recommendation
1.1 Background Of The Study
Stripped of all technicalities, implementation problem in most developing nations is the problem of a reddening gap between intentions and results. Honadle (1991) tried to identify the problem associated with policy implementation as that of social carpenters and masons who fail to build to specifications and thus distort the blueprint. He was equating policy with building plan. Quoting him he said. “Implication is the nemesis of designers, it conjures up images of plans gone every end of social carpenters and masons who fail to build to specifications and thereby distort the beautiful blue prints for progress which were handed to them”.
The above quotations show the importance that is attached to policy implementation and those that are responsible for implementing these policies. It is shown that no matter how beautiful the blue print of a programme is, a defective implementation of it will make nonsense of the whole programme. Unfortunately, the situation as described by Honadle above is what goes on in Nigeria. As stated by
Eyonmuan (1971) implementation in these country often turns out to be the graveyard of policy where the intentions of the designer of policies are often undermined by a constellation in cooperation with people little attention is paid to the subject of policy implementation by policy decision makers while it is often taken for granted that once a policy is adopted by government it must be implemented and the desired goals achieved. There is policy failure when there is a sizeable gap between a policy decision and its implementation. Such a gap is characterized. For example, by the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer in spite of the stated policy goal to the contrary.
Despite the plethora of poverty alleviation programme which past government had initiated and implemented, by 1999 when the Obasanjo administration came to power a world Banks report indicated that Nigeria’s Human Development index (HDI) was only 0416 and that about 70 percent of the population was vegetating below the brand line.
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
In the course of this work, a lot of problems emerged. It therefore sets out to address the following problems.
- What is National poverty Eradication programme?
- Why did Nigeria adopt National poverty Eradication programme as an economic measure on policy implementation?
- Has National poverty Eradication Programme for eradicating poverty as regard policy implementation?
- What was the objective sort to achieve by National poverty eradication programme on the economy?
- What were the impacts of National poverty eradication programme on the economy?
- Is National poverty eradication programming a success or a failure?
1.3 Objectives Of The Study
The objectives of the study are as follows:
- To explain the importance of National Poverty Eradication programme as a means or strategy for revamping Nigerian economy.
- To check if National Poverty Eradication Programme is a good economic recovery programme that could help tripe out poverty from Nigeria.
- To show that Nigeria is badly in need of external loan to enable her regain equilibrium in the economic scheme of things.
- The restoration of hope in the mind of poor people in Nigeria. This involves providing basic necessities to hitherto neglected people particularly in the rural areas.
- The restoration of economic independence and confidence.
1.4 Research Questions
- Does National Poverty Eradication Programme (NAPEP) able to reduce the right rate of unemployment.
- Does the National Poverty eradication programme even seen any sign of success even when it was poverty alleviation programmed (PAP)
- Do you think the major problem of National poverty eradication programme is poor implementation and improper planning?
- Do you think the correction and lack of commitment of the leadership and patriotism could be attributed to the poor performance of National poverty eradication programme.
1.5 Significance Of The Study
This work is so essential because it will prove itself as a landmark to policy makers, statesmen, politicians and even bureaucrats alike which is also reliable and as a veritable guide for future policy implementation.
It will also provide the platform for more indebt research into the art and science of policy implementation in Nigeria especially within the period when administration of development is much harped on by different regimes for much cherished development and economic growth in Nigeria.
This work will expose the flaws inherent with National Poverty Eradication Programme as it concerns the objectives and goals of policy implementation which is seen as a problem.
Furthermore, the efficiency and effectiveness of the leadership are so enhanced with the skill and technique for policy formulation and implementation for effective result especially during the National Poverty Eradication Programme period and decision.
It is expected that this study would expose the actual factors that influences and shape the nations public making process.
1.6 Scope Of The Study
This study covers the process of fast policy implementation in the Nigerian system of government and the role of NAPEP as charged with responsibility of gearing all its effort towards the development of the entire rural areas of Nigeria in order to improve the quality of life of the rural dwellers.
1.7 Limitations Of The Study
The limitation of this study is based on the constraints the researcher faced during carrying out this research and those constraints are;
- Lack of finance to carry out the research.
- There was no enough time for the researcher to adequately carryout his research.
- The researcher also has this problem of traveling long distance to get information also with high cost of transportation.
The attitude of the respondents was not encouraging, they were nonchalant.
1.8 Definition Of Terms
Policy implementation is giving help and effect to policy so that objectives of the policy can be achieved.
From the advanced oxford learners’ dictionary, problem is used to be something that is difficult to deal with or understand.
It is defined or referred to the wide range of economic and social activities undertaken by the central government state government, municipalities and other public bodies. The public sector is usually being guided by social and public welfare objective, its primary objective is the promotion of social and economic interests for the community as a whole.
National Poverty Eradication Programmes (NAPEP)
Is defined as the as the agency that is responsible for monitoring and coordination of all poverty eradication efforts of the federal governments, the targets of the national poverty eradication programme is to completely wipe away poverty in Nigeria. The formulators of the programmes have identified three stages to the attainment of this target.
The first stage is the restoration of hope in the hope in the mass of the poor people in Nigeria this means providing basic necessities to neglected people in the rural areas.
The second stage is the restoration of economic independence and confidence
5.0 Summary, Conclusion And Recommendation
The purpose of this study is to determine and buttress and look down deep the problem of policy implementation in Nigeria. This problem has become a thought in the mind set of everyone which have to be solved with proper recommendation with the view to have a proper implementation process it would be pertinent of a study should be conduct to determine the formulating and implement a policies with objectives and goals.
5.2 Summary Of Findings
The purpose of this research is to present critical analysis and various government both civilian and military administration and other institution, this are involved in the formulation of policies more especially during the Obasanjo regime till date should be formulated and implemented in Nigeria.
The thesis project commenced with problem definition four research questions were develop to guide the major activities of this project in other to identify existing theories in this field and bring them into focus to the problem at hand.
A detailed literature review was conducted and presented in chapter two, while chapter three discuss the major research design and methodological issues of the project. The data for the analysis of study were obtained from the investigation and interview, questionnaire which is being distributed to the staff and some ministries. Chapter four was used to present data and analysis.
Chapter five discussed the findings. The implementers of the policy are poor because of incompetent and corruption among them with the federal, state and local government should correct.
The above discussion has been trying to explain why policies so wrong at the implementation stage, expecially in developing nation (IMO STATE, NIGERIA).
While we do not want to leave the impression that policy implementation in developing nations is always a disaster. The discussion had tried to highlight areas that needs improvement. It is apparent that policies are rolled out regularly in developing nations but most of the time, without achieving the desired results for any government to be judged to be administratively competent there must be evidence of bridging actual achievement of the policy. This is where if becomes necessary for any policy maker, be it government, non-government organization to take the issue of policy implementation seriously even at the formulation stage.
The government both Federal and state should make good policies that will put more value into individuals are citizens of Nigeria. And they should map out agencies that will make sure that policies formulated by government are being carried out in terms of implementation.
On the basis of the empirical analysis and finding concerning policy implementation in Nigeria starting from past leaders, Obasanjo administration which National poverty eradication programme (NAPEP) is the case study, the following recommendation were given
- It is very important that policies that will prove individuals life be formulated and implemented in the country.
- Questionable characters should play in the midst of policy formulation and implementers because when a leader of good characters is ruling and have individuals that are good in character which stand for policy implementation, they would be influencing the individual positively.
- I recommend that expertise are being giving chance to make policies so that the masses will be given what they want because if a wise policy maker makes out a policy it must have positive impact on the life of the people.
- The culture of discounting a policy once there is a change in government should be discouraged even though in government comes and goes, administration is continues. There should be continuation in policy except if the policy is found not to be useful to the people.
- Provision should be put in place for adequate monitoring of projects, as poorly monitored projects will only yield undesired results.
- Attention should be paid to the manpower and financial resources which will be needed to implement the policy.
How To Get The Complete Material For “The Problem Of Policy Implementation In Nigeria (A Case Of National Poverty Eradication Programme (NAPEP) Imo State)“
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: The Problem Of Policy Implementation In Nigeria (A Case Of National Poverty Eradication Programme (NAPEP) Imo State)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply