Occupational Mobility And The Effects On Secretaries Occupational Prospects
This study examined the problems encountered by secretaries in some selected banks in Enugu metropolis.
A total of eighty-eight questionnaires were administered to eighty-eight secretaries in these banks. After the analysis, the researcher made some findings with respect to the sample population studies.
- That secretaries are nit paid the same salary grade level as their counterparts in other profession.
- Hat secretaries are not allowed to make use of their initiatives in carrying out their duties.
- That secretaries are discriminated in terms of promotions.
- That secretaries do not enjoy training opportunities as their counterparts in other professions etc.
It was also found that the likely effects of these problems include: Low productivity, Poor quality jobs, Lack of job satisfactions and so on.
Some recommendations were made on what could be done so as to enhance the prospects of these secretaries. In the light of the above, it was recommended that the secretary’s duties and responsibilities be matched with their qualifications and training.
It was also recommended that adequate salaries, job satisfaction, job enrichment programmes and opportunity for retraining, seminars, conference and professional memberships be provided for them so as to enhance their job satisfaction, espirit de corps, rapport and work performance.
Table Of Content
- Title Page
- Approval Page
- Table Of Content
- 1.0 Introduction
- 1.1 Background Of The Study
- 1.2 Statement Of Problems
- 1.3 Purpose Of The Study
- 1.4 Research Question
- 1.5 Significance Of The Study
- 1.6 Delimitation Of The Study
- 2.0 Literature Review
- 2.1 Brief History Of Secretaries
- 2.2 Categories Of Secretary
- 2.3 Attributes Of Secretary
- 2.4 Occupational Mobility And The Adverse Effect On Secretaries
- 3.0 Research Design And Methodology
- 3.1 Research Design
- 3.2 Area Of The Study
- 3.3 Population Of Study
- 3.4 The Sample Size
- 3.5 Method Of Distribution Of Questionnaire
- 3.6 The Research Instrument Used
- 3.7 Validity Of The Instrument Used
- 3.8 Method Of Administration And Collection Of Questionnaire
- 3.9 Method Of Data Analysis
- 4.0 Presentation And Analysis Of Data
- 4.1 Relevance Of Responses To The Research Question
- 4.2 Interpretation Of Data
- 5.0 Discussions Of Findings, Summary Of Finding, Recommendations And Conclusion
- 5.1 Summary Of Findings
- 5.2 Recommendations
- 5.3 Conclusions
- 5.4 Limitation Of The Study
- 5.5 Area For Further Research.
1.1 Background Of The Study
Every business organization need efficient management and administration and therefore requires the services of secretary Segun (1989). A secretary is one who besides possession of typewriting and shorthand skills is knowledgeable in management and organizational techniques. The secretary relies on her sill in dealing with people. Such skills are tact, discretion, courtesy, common sense, pleasant speaking ability and having a good memory, to mention but a few.
It is a well know fact that every occupation carries some elements of risks usually referred to as occupational hazard. Secretaries are to be found in almost all business organizations worth that name. As is well known, the secretarial profession has come of a age in Nigeria. Secretarial courses are now being offered in all polytechnic in the country and in some reputable universities. The number of students offering the course seems to be growing from day-to-day for those working, the take home pay is relatively attractive. Everything seems to be going for the secretary, yet many secretaries express dissatisfactions with their lot in their work places and some I know have abandoned the profession for greener pastures.
This study therefore is being carried out to find out the problems facing secretaries in their work paces and those impediments on their way to achieving full job satisfactions identification of those constraints will be a first step in seeking for solutions to the problems and this is the objective of the research.
1.2 Statement Of Problem
In every well organized business, the service of the secretarial personnel are highly needed. It is usually asserted that the success or failure of any organization largely depends on the role of the secretary plays in achieving the objectives of the organization.
In this modern times, the secretarial profession has become very lucrative and attractive. This has led to an unprecedented influx into the profession. Despite this enviable position the secretarial profession appears to be bedeviled by some unidentified obstacles which may lead the secretary to resort to negative attitude towards their work and even leave their job for entirely different professions.
It is the aim of this paper to find out those impediments, obstacles and pitfalls, which make many secretaries wish to leave this profession despite the attractive salaries usually offered to them. We will also seek to find possible solutions and proper recommendations that may stop these problems.
1.3 Purpose Of The Study
The purpose of this study are
- To find out the problems encountered by secretaries working in some selected establishments in Enugu metropolis
- To find out the likely effects of those problems on the secretary’s performance on the job
- To make suggestions and recommendations for improve of the lot of secretaries.
1.4 Research Questions
- Do secretaries in some selected establishment in Enugu metropolis encounter problems in their working place
- Do these problems detract them from their official performance
- What are these problems
- What are the likely solutions to these problems
1.5 Significance Of The Study
It is envisaged that this study when completed will be immense benefit the secretaries working in some establishment to the management and the organization as a whole.
Firstly, this study intends to identify the problems encountered by secretaries, which can inject negative attitude in them so that their employers will have cleaver pictures of these problems and devise ways of motivating their secretaries as to enhance productivity. The study will also be beneficial to managers in those organizations so that they will reveal what could be done to enhance the prospects of these secretaries.
On the other hand, the study will be beneficial to the secretaries themselves in that, if the recommendations advanced in this study are adhered to, they will be better placed in the organization and their status enhanced. It will also serve as an inspiration to Nigeria secretaries to embrace the profession fully having known the already existing problems
Finally, the research will provide up-to-date information on the secretarial profession.
This research is delimited to secretaries in some selected establishment in Enugu metropolis. These establishments are
- First Bank of Nigeria PLC Enugu
- Union Bank of Nigeria PLC Enugu
- Afribank of Nigeria PLC Enugu
- United Bank for Africa (UBA) PLC Enugu.
Occupational Mobility And The Effects On Secretaries Occupational Prospects
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | +234-8143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- Occupational Mobility And The Effects On Secretaries Occupational Prospects
You may also like:
This research material “Occupational Mobility And The Effects On Secretaries Occupational Prospects” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “Occupational Mobility And The Effects On Secretaries Occupational Prospects” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.