Occupational Changes And The Adverse Effects On The Secretary
The study examined the problems encountered by secretaries in some selected banks in Enugu metropolis
A total of eighty-eight questionnaires were administered to eighty-eight secretaries in these banks. After the analysis, the researcher made some findings with respect to the sample population studied.
That secretaries are not paid the same salary grade level as their counterparts in other profession
That secretaries are not allowed to make use of their initiatives in carrying out their duties.
That secretaries do not enjoy training opportunities etc.
It was also fund out that the likely effects of these problems includes: Low productivity, poor quality jobs, lack of job satisfaction and so on.
Some recommendations were made on what could be done so as to enhance the prospects of these secretaries. In the light pf the above, it was recommended that the secretary’s duties and responsibilities be matched with their qualifications and training.
It was also recommended that adequate salaries, job satisfaction, job enrichment programmes and opportunities for retaining, seminars, conferences and professional membership be provided for them so as to enhance their job satisfaction, espirit de corps, rapport and word performance.
List Of Table
- Table 1 Sample distribution
- Table 2 Response to question one
- Table 3 Response to question item two
- Table 4 Response to question item three
- Table 5 Response to question item four
- Table 6 Response to question item five
- Table 7 Response to question item six
- Table 8 Response to question item seven
- Table 9 Response to question item eight
- Table 10 Response to question item nine
- Table 11 Response to question item ten.
- Table 12 Response to question two
- Table 13 Response to question item eleven
- Table 14 Response to question item twelve
- Table 15 Response to question item thirteen
- Table 16 Response to question item fourteen
- Table 17 Response to question item fifteen
- Table 18 Response to question item sixteen
- Table 19 Response to question item seventeen
- Table 20 Response to question item eighteen
- Table 21 Response to question item three
- Table 22 Response to question item twenty
- Table 23 Response to question item twenty one
- Table 24 Response to question item twenty two
- Table 25 Response to question item twenty three
- Table 26 Response to question item twenty four
- Table 27 Response to question item twenty five
- Table 28 Response to question item twenty six
- Table 29 Response to question item twenty seven
- Table 30 Response to question item twenty eight
Table Of Content
- Title page
- Approval page
- List of tables
- Table of content
- 1.1 Background of the study
- 1.2 Statement of the problem
- 1.3 Purpose of the study
- 1.4 Research questions
- 1.5 Significance of the study
- 1.6 Delimitation of the study
- 1.7 Definition of terms
- Literature Review
- 2.1 Brief history of the secretarial profession.
- 2.2 Definition of the word “secretary”
- 2.3 Categories of secretary
- 2.4 Attributes of a secretary
- 2.5 Problems of secretarial personnel
- 2.6 Occupational changes and its effects on secretary
- 2.7 Summary of literature review
- Research Design And Methodology
- 3.1 Areas of study
- 3.2 Population of the study
- 3.3 Sample size
- 3.4 Method of investigation
- 3.5 The research instrument used
- 3.6 Validity of the instrument used
- 3.7 Method of administration and collection of questionnaires
- 3.8 Method of data analysis.
- Data Presentation And Analysis
- 4.1 Relevance of responses to the research questions
- 4.2 Interpretation of data
- 4.3 Discussion of findings
- Summary, Recommendation And Conclusions
- 5.1 Summary of findings
- 5.2 Recommendations
- 5.3 Conclusions
- 5.4 Limitation of the study
- 5.5 Areas of further research
- 1: Transmittal letter
- 2: Questionnaire.
1.1 Background Of The Study
Every business organization needs efficient management and administration and therefore requires the services of a secretary. – Segun (1989). A secretary is one who besides the possession of typewriting and shorthand skills is knowledgeable in management and organizational techniques. The secretary relies on her skills in dealing with people, such skills are tact, discretion, courtesy, common sense, pleasant speaking, good command of English language, ability and having a good retentive memory, to mention but a few.
It is a well known fat that every occupational carries some elements of risks usually referred to as occupational hazard, secretaries are to be found or seen in almost all business organizations worth the same. As is well known, the secretarial profession has come of age in Nigeria. Secretarial courses are now offered in all polytechnics in the country and in some reputable universities. The number of students offering the course seem to be growing from day to day. For those working, the task home pay is relatively attractive. Everything seems to be going for the secretary, yet many secretaries express dissatisfaction with their lot in their work places and some I know have abandon the profession for greener pastures.
The study therefore is being carried out to find out the problems facing secretaries in their work places and those impediments on their way to achieving full job satisfaction. Identification of these constraints will be a first step in seeking for solution to the problems and this is the objectives of this research.
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
In every well organized business the services of the secretarial personnel are highly needed. It is usually asserted that the success or failure of any organization, or its good or bad image largely depend on the roles of the secretary plays in achieving the objectives of the organization.
In these modern times, the secretarial profession has become very lucrative and attractive. This has led to an unprecedented influx into the profession. Despite this enviable position, the secretarial profession appears to be bedeviled by some yet unidentified obstacles which may lead the secretary to resort to negative attitude towards their work and even leave their jobs for entirely different professions.
It is the aim of this research work to find out some if not all those impediments, obstacles and pitfalls which make may secretaries wish to leave this profession despite the attractive salaries usually offered to them. We will also seek to find possible solutions and offer recommendations that may stop these problems.
1.3 Purpose Of The Study
The purpose of this study include
- To find out the occupational problems encountered by secretaries working in some selected establishments in Enugu urban.
- To find out the likely effects of these occupational problems on the secretary’s performance in the job
- To find out the causes of these problems
- To find out the likely solutions to these problems
1.4 Research Questions
- What are the occupational problems encountered by secretaries in these selected establishment in Enugu urban
- What are the likely effects of these problems in detracting secretaries from their official performance
- What are the causes of these problems
- What are the likely solution to these occupational problems.
1.5 Significance Of The Study
It is envisaged that this study when completed will be of immense benefits to secretaries working in some establishments to the management and the organization as a whole.
Firstly, this study intends to identify the occupational problems encountered by secretaries which can inject negative attitude in them so that their employers will have clearer pictures of these problems and devise ways of motivating the secretaries so as to enhance productivity. This study will also be beneficial to managers in these organization so that they will reveal what could be done to enhance the prospects pf these secretaries.
On the other hand, the study will be beneficial to the secretaries themselves in that, if the recommendations advanced in this study are adhere to, they will be better placed in the organization and their states enhanced. It will also serve as an inspiration to Nigerian secretaries to embrace the profession fully having known the already existing problems and ways to avert them.
Finally, the research will provide up to date information on the secretarial professions.
1.7 Definition Of Terms
It is either a government, business organization or a large institution
These are fringe benefits in various forms designed to motivate workers.
The is the stimulation of workers to higher levels of performance by satisfying their different needs at different points in time.
It is the ability of labor and capital to produce the amount of output of goods and services compared to the input of labor and capital
How To Get The Complete Material For Occupational Changes And The Adverse Effects On The Secretary
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN CLIENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- Occupational Changes And The Adverse Effects On The Secretary
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To Your Email Address After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply