National Youth Service Corps Scheme As An Instrument Of National Development And Nation Building In Nigeria (An Overview)
There is need to encourage Nigerian youths to actively participate in a National integration and development, rather than have them as passive beneficiaries of the grounds that the National Youth service corps scheme sends teeming Nigeria graduates from various institutions within the country to serve their father land for the period of one year in states other than their states of origin.
Many people see these youths in their uniform without clear knowledge of who they are or what they stand for. Some doubt the wisdom in continuation of National Youth service corps and complaint that funding of this scheme is a colossal waste.
It is in realization of the above arguments that this study is being carried out. To ascertain, the reasons behind the inauguration of National Youth service corps scheme. To find out its achievements of as well as the problems militating against it.
With the aim to finding lasting solutions to those problems and making appropriate recommendations for effective operations of the scheme and enable the general public appreciate the efforts of the scheme in unity and development of the nation. These will be reviewed in five well arranged chapters of its research work.
Table Of Contents
- Title page
- Approval page
- Table of contents
- 1.1 Background of the study
- 1.2 Statement of the problems
- 1.3 Objectives of the study
- 1.4 Research questions
- 1.5 Significance of the study
- 1.6 Scope of the study
- 1.7 Limitations of the study
- 1.8 Definition of terms
2.0 Literature Review
- 2.1 Introduction
- 2.2 Reason for ingraduation NYSC Scheme
- 2.3 Objectives of NYSC
- 2.4 Activities of NYSC
- 5.5.1 Community development service (C.D.S.)
- 2.5.2. Principles and objectives of C.D.S
- 2.6 The impact of NYSC Scheme to national development and nation building in Nigeria
- 2.7 Problems of the NYSC scheme
3.0. Research Design and Methodology
- 3.1. Research design
- 3.2. Sources/Methods of data collection
- 3.3. Population and sample size
- 3.4. Sampling technique
- 3.5. Validity and reliability of measuring instrument
4.0. Presentation and Analysis of Data
- 4.1. Introduction
- 4.2. Presentation of data
- 4.3. Analysis of data
5.0. Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
- 5.1. Introduction
- 5.2. Summary of findings
- 5.3. Conclusion
- 5.4. Recommendations
Every society of the world be it social, political, economic, industrial and etc. calls for innovation and or renovation. As such, the National youth service scheme was conceived at a time when Nigeria more than ever needed a systematic involvement of all particularly the youths with their abundant energies and skills in the task of National building and acquisition of national consciousness. The vent that brought about the thirty-six month of civil war (1967-1970) and the after effects heightened the need for a deliberate programme to:
- Provide inter-ethnic understanding, integration and national unity.
- Maximize the country’s human resources, utilization and accelerated reconstruction and development.
1.1 Background Of The Study
The national Youth Service Corps (NYSC) is an organization established by the government of Nigeria in the year 1973 during General Gowon’s administration. There is no military conscription in Nigeria but, since 1973 graduates of universities and later polytechnics have been required to take part in the National Youth Service Corps programme for one year. This is known as national service year to involve the country’s graduates in the development of the country.
The National Youth service corps scheme was created in a bid to reconstruct, reconcile and rebuild antecedents in our national history gave impetus to the establishment of the National Youth service corps by decree No 24 of 22nd May 1973 which stated that National Youth service corps is being established with a view to the proper encouragement and development of common ties among the youths of Nigeria and the promotion of National Unity.
Hence, the federal military government under Gowon’s administration draws up the National Youth service corps scheme (NYSC) as the most appropriate programme to put the above mentioned consideration into action.
As good order in the foundation of all good things, the National Youth service corps scheme widely acclaimed as one of the best legacies of General Gowon’s administration, since inception, has continued to justify its purpose and existence. One can therefore simply stated that the National Youth service corps scheme was designed to make Nigeria one.
“Corps” members are posted to states far away from their own state of origin. They are expected to mix with people of other tribes, social and family background, to learn their cultures of the indigenes in the place they are posted to. This action is aimed to being about unity in the country and to help youths appreciate other ethnic groups.
There is an “orientation” period of approximately three weeks spent in a camp away from family and friends. There is also a “passing out ceremony” at the end of the year and primary assignment followed by one month of vacation.
The programme has also helped in creating entry level jobs for lot of Nigerian youths. A National Youth service forum dedicated to the National Youth service corps members was recently built to bridge the gap amongst members serving across Nigeria and also an avenue for croppers to share job information and career resources as well as getting loans from the National Directorate of employment.
The scheme has like any other human organization suffered some set-backs due to a number of constraints in its efforts to attain the desired set goals in social, political and economic sphere of this great nation Nigeria.
Thus, this study seeks to evaluate the purpose and role this scheme is expected to play towards the development and unity of Nigeria as a Nation, as well as the extent to which the scheme has really achieved this purpose particularly in nation building in Nigeria.
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
No human organization, business or venture is devoid of one problem or the other. But as dynamic human beings in a dynamic world, these problems changes from time to time depending on the variables and organization involved.
The National youth service corps scheme is no exception. The scheme has over the years had its share of problems. Some of these problems militate against the operational efficiency and effectiveness of the scheme more challenging.
The scheme has been plagued with several problems ranging from lack of funding, ethnicity problem, religious/political crisis, as well as the unwillingness of graduates and corps members to dedicate service. These and many more has been a cog in the wheel of success of the scheme.
- What is the cause of lack of funding in national youth service corps?
- Can ethnicity be a problem against the operational efficiency and effectiveness of the National youth service corps scheme?
- What could be done to eradicated religious/political crisis for the effectiveness and efficiency of the scheme?
- What are the strategic measures to be used against the unwillingness of graduates and corps members to dedicated services?
1.3 Objective Of The Study
The objective of this research work is steered towards:
- To x-ray and highlight the purpose which the scheme is designed to play towards Nigeria’s national development.
- To find out the problem facing the National Youth service corps scheme.
- To proffer lasting solutions to these problems which stand as stumbling locks on the roads to success of the scheme.
1.4 Research Question
- Why was National youth service corps scheme introduced in Abia State?
- To what extent has the scheme contributed to the development of Abia state and the unity of the nation?
- What are the factors militating against the schemes efforts to adequately contribute to unity and development in Abia state?
1.5 Significance Of The Study
The researcher considers this study a timely one, especially not that a lot of things are threatening the existence of Nigeria as a notion.
More over, it will serve as a prerequisite to the award of Higher National Diploma (HND) certificate and to many who may want to carry out more research work on the topic, this study will be useful to them.
1.6 Scope Of The Study
This research work is set out to study the contribution of National Youth service corps scheme to the development of the entire nation.
1.7 Limitation Of The Study
Conducting a research of this nature cannot be done without meeting some constraints.
The researcher had limited time to explore the topic under research. Again, finance posed another problem. There were not enough funds for procurement of materials and to run around.
This restricted the research to areas where much finance is not needed and enables her meet the deadline. Inspite of the above mentioned limitations the reliability and validity of the study is not affected.
1.8 Definition Of Terms
The activities that are done in order to plan, organize and run a business or an institution.
A large unit of an army consisting of two or more divisions, groups of people involved in a particular job or activity.
Gradual growth of something, so that it, becomes more advance and stronger.
The act or process of combining two or more thing so that they work together.
An official order from a government that becomes the law.
System that provides something that the public needs.
Contracted with a particular nation. Shared by a whole nation for example they are afraid of loosing their national identity.
The state of being in agreement and working together.
The way in which people of thing behave and react to each other in a particular situation.
5.0 Summary, Conclusion And Recommendation
This chapter looks into the summary of findings made by the researcher in the course of this research work. Also conclusion and recommendation as made by the researcher well treated.
5.2 Summary Of Findings
The National youth service corps scheme has come to stay. This is as a result of its importance. Looking into the scheme’s achievement so far, one will see that it has made a reasonable, recognizable and appreciable contribution to National development and nation building in Nigeria. Despite its problems and set backs, the scheme has performed and have a level of pass mark to its credit.
In view of this, the following findings were made in the course of this study;
- The National Youth service corps scheme has alleviated the fears the generality of Nigerians have in associating, co-operating and integrating with all facets of Nigeria people.
- Through CDS, the scheme has given boost to commercial efforts and accelerated the pace of rural development in Nigeria.
- Political and religious crisis hinders effective implementation of the scheme objective.
- Lack of proper monitoring and evaluation of corps members performance militates against the operational effectiveness and efficiency of the scheme.
- Inadequate funding of the scheme affects its effectiveness in mobilizing eligible participants.
Accessed from whatever perspective, it is clear that the National youth service corps scheme through it’s CDS programme has made a resounding success. In the light of its members numerous accomplishment, the activities of corps members under the scheme continue to impact positively on the lives of the local people and on the welfare of communities all over the country.
The CDS has already earned itself a place if pride in the history of the nation’s rural transformation. According to Obodechi (2006), it has come to be recognized and acclaimed as a quiet but effective mechanism for rekindling and sustaining the spirit of self-help and self-reliance particularly among our rural communities.
This research has unraveled the success, problems and prospects of National Youth service corps scheme in Nigeria. As part of efforts to achieve the aims and objectives of the scheme, the following recommendations are made by the researcher for efficient and effective operation of the scheme.
- Government should provide enough financial assistance to the scheme for effective mobilization of eligible participation.
- There should be provision of enough human resources and mobility for effective inspection and evaluation of corps members’ commitment on community development services as well as at their duty posts.
- Government should review the monthly allowance of corps members in line with the prevailing economic situation in the country. The N9,775 currently paid to corps members is too poor considering the rate of inflation.
- Before posting a corps member to any organization, the employer’s readiness to engage corps member should be ascertained as feeling of rejection has a negative psychological impact.
- The federal government should address the issue of religious crisis and non supportive environment that promote insecurity of corps members. The Sharia issue in Nigeria today frightens many Christian corps members posted to the Sharia proclaimed states. These issues needed to be properly tackled as they pose serious cog on the wheel of realization of the scheme’s aims and objectives.
- Government, National youth corps scheme management and corps members should work harder in other to uphold the impressive record of the past 38 years. This will demand making enough funds available to the scheme by the parts of National youth service corps scheme management and a higher degree of patriotism and commitment on the part of corps members.
- Agricultural programmes of the scheme should be expanded and modern agricultural mechanism should be made available to it. This will enable the scheme produce large tonnage of food and agro raw materials for indigenous consumption and exportation, the country will thereby conserve a huge amount of its foreign exchange.
National Youth Service Corps Scheme As An Instrument Of National Development And Nation Building In Nigeria (An Overview)
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | +234-8143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- National Youth Service Corps Scheme As An Instrument Of National Development And Nation Building In Nigeria (An Overview)
The complete material will be sent to your email address after receiving your payment information | T & C Apply
You may also like:
This research material “National Youth Service Corps Scheme As An Instrument Of National Development And Nation Building In Nigeria (An Overview)” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “National Youth Service Corps Scheme As An Instrument Of National Development And Nation Building In Nigeria (An Overview)” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.