Motivation As Tool For Workers’ Performance In The Public Service
Motivation is a very important factor in achieving effective productivity of workers’ in an organization either in the public sector or private sector. This study sought to ascertain the level and extent at which motivation could enhance the effectiveness of a worker in an organization. The data for the study were collected through the use of questionnaires, and interviews. The questionnaires were administered on some selected staff of Ado-Odo/ Ota Local Government Area of Ogun State. The findings showed that motivating of worker in any organization would bring out the best in the organization and would in tum increase the productivity of that organization.
1.1 Background of the Study
The purpose of this work is to highlight the importance of motivating workers or employees in the realization of corporate objectives of the organization especially in the public service sector. A cursory examination of what keeps the organization going and it is going to be a collective responsibility of all its members.
The public service sector is the main focus in which we shall be examining the effect of motivation in the performance of its worker. The public sector as viewed by some scholars of public administration who perceived the public sector as a system which exists in a dynamic equilibrium with external environment.
Furthermore, one of the problems confronting Public Service management is that of motivating workers to perform assigned tasks to meet or surpass predetermined standards.
It will not be an understatement to say that it is not easy to motivate an individual, for the success of any motivational efforts depends on the extent to which the motivator meets the needs of the individual employee for whom it is intended. The issue on how best to motivate worker to achieve desired objectives has long been one of the worlds’ most important, difficult and controversial problems.
It is therefore, worthy of note, that the value of the need to motivate worker cannot be fully appreciated until we understand the worker’s notion about work, the attitude of a worker to work and the value the worker places on the work, in addition, we have to realize that since the entrepreneur expects a yield or returns on his investments, management has to do everything possible to encourage the worker to put in his best in order that expected returns is made possible.
In other words, the worker’s notion to work can be described as any undertaking by human beings involving mental and or physical efforts for a reward to keep body and soul together. It is therefore an input by a human being in the clear understanding that he would be materially compensated sufficiently to enable him and his dependents continue to exist in reasonable comfort. Permit me to say that all workers see work as first and foremost as a means of livelihood.
This work seeks to examine the need for motivating worker, problems of who and how to motivate workers and types of motivational strategy that would be effective in the public service in particular.
1.1 Statement of Problem
Inspite of all the motivational strategy used in motivating public servant in the public service various research, and findings have shown that there are still no result achieved in the public service, all effort of the government to motivate its workers to be effective had proved abortive.
Even with all these incentives, no positive result is achieved. If motivation is one of the tools for enhance worker’s performance why has it failed to achieve result in the Public Service?
1.3 Objectives of Study
The purpose of this study therefore:
- To ascertain the problems associated with how to motivate worker to enhance effective performance in the public service.
- To examine the problems of implementing motivation as strategy for effective performance.
- To examine the different types of motivational strategy and to also to proffer solutions to the problems and to promote the possible prospect.
1.4 Research Hypotheses
For the successful completion of the study, the following research hypotheses were formulated by the researcher;
- H0: There is no significant relationship between motivation theories and organization efficiency.
H1: There is significant relationship between motivation theories and organization efficiency.
- H02: There is no relationship between motivated workers and non -motivated workers
H2: There is relationship between motivated workers and non -motivated workers
1.5 Significance of Study
The study is significant because of the following:
- The study will expose and highlight the problems of motivation of workers’ in the public service.
- To ascertain if the implementers are adequately motivating its workers’.
- To ascertain the type of motivation that is appropriate for the public service worker.
- It will ascertain the effectiveness of motivation on worker’s performance.
- It will therefore provide information on the extent to which motivation will achieve it stated objective and the problems and prospect encountered by workers’ in the public service.
- It will also be useful for other researchers.
1.6 Scope of Study / Limitation
In carrying this research attempts were made to reach out to the Local Government workers but most of them were very reluctant to respond they took the questionnaires grudgingly some even rejected it out-rightly asking if it will add to their money or promotion. The researcher encounters some constrain which limited the scope of the study;
a) Availability of Research Material:
The research material available to the researcher is insufficient, thereby limiting the study
The time frame allocated to the study does not enhance wider coverage as the researcher has to combine other academic activities and examinations with the study.
c) Organizational Privacy:
Limited Access to the selected auditing firm makes it difficult to get all the necessary and required information concerning the activities.
1.7 Definition of Terms
Motivation is the reason for people’s actions, willingness and goals. Motivation is derived from the word motive which is defined as a need that requires satisfaction. These needs could also be wants or desires that are acquired through influence of culture, society, lifestyle, etc. or generally innate.
A person who does a specified type of work or who works in a specified way.
Productivity describes various measures of the efficiency of production. A productivity measure is expressed as the ratio of output to inputs used in a production process, i.e. output per unit of input. Productivity is a crucial factor in production performance of firms and nations.
1.8 Organization of the Study
This research work is organized in five chapters, for easy understanding, as follows
- Chapter one is concern with the introduction, which consist of the (overview, of the study), historical background, statement of problem, objectives of the study, research hypotheses, significance of the study, scope and limitation of the study, definition of terms and historical background of the study.
- Chapter two highlights the theoretical framework on which the study is based, thus the review of related literature.
- Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study.
- Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding.
- Chapter five gives summary, conclusion, and recommendations made of the study
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
It is important to ascertain that the objective of this study was to ascertain motivation as a tool for worker’s performance in the public service. In the preceding chapter, the relevant data collected for this study were presented, critically analyzed and appropriate interpretation given. In this chapter, certain recommendations made which in the opinion of the researcher will be of benefits in addressing the challenges of motivation as a tool for worker’s performance in the public service
This study was on motivation as a tool for worker’s performance in the public service. Three objectives were raised which included: To ascertain the problems associated with how to motivate worker to enhance effective performance in the public service, to examine the problems of implementing motivation as strategy for effective performance, to examine the different types of motivational strategy and to also to proffer solutions to the problems and to promote the possible prospect. In line with these objectives, two research hypotheses were formulated and two null hypotheses were posited. The total population for the study is 200 staff of Ado-Odo/ Ota Local Government Area of Ogun State. The researcher used questionnaires as the instrument for the data collection. Descriptive Survey research design was adopted for this study. A total of 133 respondents made directors, administrative staff, senior staff and junior staff were used for the study. The data collected were presented in tables and analyzed using simple percentages and frequencies
In conclusion, it is evident that motivation is inbuilt within oneself and all that is needed is for individuals to realize this and to address it. Nobody can motivate another, but one can inspire another person to make the changes that are necessary to become motivated. Motivation has been seen to have a great influence on the productivity of the organization and hence this should be taken with the seriousness it deserves.
- There should be more consultation between the board and the managers on one hand, and the managers and the workers on the other. The use of the internal memo as the channel of resolving crisis or communicating grievances with the staff by the line managers should be discontinued;
- Staff development to enhance productivity and promote self fulfillment should be encouraged as a matter of deliberate policy
- There should be a review of the reporting system and reporting staff should be inducted in the act of reporting to make the grading in the reports more uniform
- There should be a searchlight on the leadership style in the organization and efforts should be made to promote only productive and effective workers. If this is to be achieved, appointment to leadership positions in the organization should weigh more towards capability of the staff that have attained the basic conditions, rather than on brotherly relationship or god father
How To Get The Complete Material For “Motivation As Tool For Workers’ Performance In The Public Service“
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: Motivation As Tool For Workers’ Performance In The Public Service
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply