The Latest Communication Office Equipment And Their Effect On Secretaries Profession: A Case Study Of Nigerian Breweries Plc (NB) Enugu
This study examined the contributions of the latest communication office equipment to job efficiency of the secretary in Nigeria Breweries Plc (NB) one of the branches in Enugu. In carrying out this study, 100 staff which comprise of 30 secretaries, 30 managers, 10 accountants and 10 assistant managers, were randomly selected out of 550 staff in the establishment. They were interviewed and their responses analysed. It was found among other things that introduction of these machines have helped the secretaries to perform their duties effectively. That it makes possible for the production of high quality work and above all it increases output.
Recommendations were made efficient performance and some of them are –
- Motivating the workers to increase work turnover and to reduce personnel turnover.
- The organization should endeavour to sponsor staff for in-service training courses.
- The establishment should invite producers of these machines to train their secretaries and make it possible for them to operate the system effectively and efficiently.
Finally, efficiency, speed and accuracy in production of goods and services is the order of the day in modern office. It is in this spirit that every business have come to grip and glue with office automation.
Table Of Contents
- Title page
- Approval page
- List of tables
- Table of content
- 1.1 Background of the Study
- 1.2 Statement of the study
- 1.3 Purpose of the study
- 1.4 Significance of the study
- 1.5 Scope of the study
- 1.6 Research questions
- 2.1 Historical Background
- 2.2 Definition of the Latest communication office equipment
- 2.3 Elimination of Monotonous and Receptive Task
- 2.4 Comparison of the old and latest office communication equipment as perceived in secretarial profession
- 2.5 Overview of the latest communication office equipment
- 2.6 Summary
- 3.1 Design
- 3.2 Area of Study
- 3.3 Population
- 3.4 Sample
- 3.5 Description of Instrument used for data collection
- 3.6 Validity of the Questionnaires used
- 3.7 Method of Administration and Collection of questionnaire
Data Presentation and Analysis
- 4.1 Data presentation
- 4.2 Analysis of data
- 4.3 Finding
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
- 5.1 Summary
- 5.2 Conclusion
- 5.3 Recommendation
- 5.4 Limitation of the study
- 5.5 Area of further research
- Letter of Transmission
1.1 Background of the Study
To improve efficiency in Industry, management is usually working for ways to increase productivity, quality of goods and services and grab the best edge among her other competitors. These aim can easily be achieved through the use of high technology in the office. The over all operation of a secretary’s naturally involve a tremendous amount of paper shuffing and record keeping, accounting procedures for payrolls, financial reports, invoices etc. in all integral parts of the Nigerian industries.
Office methods and services are daily getting complex and the volume of materials and information to be handled are daily increasing and the reaction or response and time expected of the secretary is now shorter than it has been in the recent past. There is therefore the need for office administrator which include the secretary, to cope with the increasing quantity and quality of services required as a result modern equipment are rapidly spreading of Nigeria industries.
Prior to the present information revolution called information age, most of the jobs performed by secretary’s in office are manually carried out. Consequent upon this, most outputs and services were of very how standard.
Moreover, a great deal of time, money, energy and materials were lost in the course of producing one unit of an output. According to Stonick (1989) the workload was enormous and the staffing for the sake of economy, was as small as possible. The clerk a sort of combination photocopier, secretary and accountant, had too much to do, and time of the work was laborious, dull and time consuming.
During the 19th century industrial revolution of Europe and that of America, many equipments were produced which possess the ability to perform most of the functions previously performed by man not only were the machines found to be capable of performing similar functions previously performed by man, they were found to be able to our-perform man quantitatively and qualitatively. Following this discovering the years a lot of improvement and innovation have been introduced to enhance and facilitate the secretary’s job. Various machines have been developed and introduced into the offices.
Notable among them are
- Facsimile machines
- Tele printers
- Telex machines
- Thought tank machines
- Tape call-maker
- Intercom (PABX) facilities
- Internet network.
During the industrial revolution, the secretary achieved a ‘cog’ status, in that he had to work with these machines and was in real sense, part of the machines. But with communication equipment the secretary has been able to liberate himself from the status. His duties are now defined
- To control the mechanism
- To feed information and instructions into machines, through cards, tapes and to stand by for mechanical break that might probably not come.
Office communications could only take place by the use of some of the modern office machines as communications is the process of creating, transmitting and interpreting ideas, facts, opinions and feelings. These new innovation brought a lot of changes to the secretary’s work in terms of memos, reports and the skill of communication, for instance giving instructions, interviewing e.t.c.
1.2 Statement of Problem
The problem of this study is to gain information about the effects of the latest communication on secretary’s profession. In offices, secretaries are employed to perform secretarial function exclusively. In most case, these secretaries are deficient in the operations of these communication equipments. Thus it is caused by lack of adequate training on how to operate the machines. Moreover cost of purchasing the machines are exorbitantly high and cost of training is also high. This poses a great problem to the existing offices in the establishment and this research work will n its preceding chapters expatiate comprehensively on the problem.
The latest communication office equipment are very indispensable and especially now that almost every office had gone technologically. The industries wishing to stand to survive the test of time are embracing every facts of the necessary automation.
The basic motivation for communication office equipment arose out of the following desires
- To increase productivity of labour
- To improve quality of service
- The need for decency: The communication office equipments makes the office environment decent.
- And competition, which is one of the Chief, pressing reason for automation.
In spite of the good things about these machines. It is observed that many offices have not installed the machines for their secretaries. What must have been the caused for his neglect? Would it be that they are not aware of the advantages of those machine that they lack the technical know how or that they do not deem the knowledge of the existence of the machines necessary. This study therefore tends to explore the possibilities of exposing to office under study to the benefits of the latest communication office equipment on secretary profession and investigate the needs and implications of office automation in establishments.
1.3 Purpose of the Study
For each work done, there must be a purpose or rather an objectives to justify the work. The purpose of this study are:
- To identify the latest communication office equipment that are of vital importance in the office and to the secretary particular.
- To consider the effect of the latest communication office equipment in a secretary’s profession.
- To evaluate the level of awareness of Nigeria secretaries on the existence and use of these facilities.
- To highlight the important and uses of the latest communication office equipment and how they increases productivity. This is with the view to making the management see the need of acquiring those that are not available in the establishment.
1.4 Significance of the Study
This piece of work is significant because it exposes the needs of the latest communication office equipment and create better awareness of the implication of automating office function.
The findings will among other things help: –
- To dispose of the superstitution belief that the latest communication office equipment are the greatest enemy of men as it displaces man from the job, deny him of initiative in his job, and makes him a more machines operators and destroy old division of labour.
- In determine the disadvantages of the non-availability of these equipments on secretary’s profession.
- Potential secretaries to set up efforts to undertake some training on the operation of communication office equipment.
- The establishment in applying various methods of operation.
- In condition to academics in polytechnics and universities.
1.5 Scope of the Study
This study covered the operations of secretaries in Nigeria Breweries Enugu branch, comprises of six department which are personnel management, accounts/finance department, data processing department, maintenance department, sales/marketing department and payroll department.
1.6 Research Questions
- Do the latest communication office equipment embark the integration of computer and sophisticated office equipment to support the activities of the work place.
- How does it help in facilitating the job performance of secretary in your establishment.
- Do secretaries derive job satisfaction from the use of these equipment.
- Do you have the latest communication office equipment in your establishment.
- Were the secretaries during orientation course and training exposed to the these equipment.
- Are these equipment display secretary’s efforts thereby resulting to loss of the secretarial personnel inn the establishment.
5.2 Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
We have seen the capabilities of these communication equipments in handling information. Due to these applications, the establishment and the world in general have undergone many changes. As a result of the changes, we have to adjust and more time needs to pass before we can fully appreciate the potential benefits and dangers in the use of these equipments. Discussion has been made as to the prospects of these equipments with respects to the way information are being handled that is receiving of information and filing of information at relatively high speed, but note should be taken as they all have social implication. Despite all these contributions there are issues involving man and such emotion words as redundancy, security, privacy individuality, inflexibility, impersonalisation fraud and automation came to focus. If could be seen that speedy and efficient information. Processing is using vital to our socially conscious and highly developing technology nation. The burden of handling the ever-increasing amount of information needed by organizing have been reduced by the introduction of these communication equipments. Due to the varied potential of the equipments like recording, creating, up dating, filing, retrieving, retaning stored information explosion has been reasonable contained. It should be noted that organization whether large or small do not thrive or fill because of the presence or absence of these communication office equipments, but it depends on the quity of people who join them. The communication office equipments were never introduced to reduce cost of to replaces the work force. Works however, maybe lost in one are but have been created in another due to the many tasks involved in the collection and handling of information. Apart from creating new products and services and resultant new job these machines bring about retaining of personnel for reasons of efficiency, convenience and economy. Information system should be given to ensure that such actions do not lead to an infringement of individual privacy. Most importantly, these important and confidential information’s should be protected against unwarranted exposure and indeed sabotage by actual and potential rivals or mischief-makers.
Recently, we have depend much on the communication office equipment is carrying out of functions in offices for this we should give the systems the protection it deserves for us to enjoy the benefit it offers.
From all indications, it becomes glaringly obvious that the effects of latest communication equipment on secretary’s profession in industries are immense and advantageous. All the claimed or allayed defects of communication office equipments have been proved beyond reasonable doubts to be unfounded and baseless. It comes very imperative to conclude that Nigerian organization wishing to excel achieved high productivity, good standard and efficiency, the acquisition of communication office equipments and the subsequent automation of the office is indispensable. This lies in the fact that machines makes work less tiring, save time and human efforts, limit the waste of materials, enhance productivity and competition among rivals and boost cooperative image.
Rather than displace human efforts, communication office equipments have been found to augment them. The encouragements of division of labour and its resultant increased output is worthy to note also efforts should be made to bring down the cost of acquiring these equipments to enable large percent of the populace to imbibe in them the use of the fascinating systems.
The implication of the study show that latest communication business organizations cannot survive the test of the time, if they fail to embrace the acquisition of communication office equipments, as they are the corner stone of industry growth and survival. Based on the finding it is judicious to recommend the followings:
- Latest communication business industries to embrace the acquisition of equipment especially the sophisticated ones like computer, networks, electronic mail facsimile, internet network, scanner e.t.c.
- The organization should endeavour to sponsor staff for in-service training courses often for their secretaries, most of them do not know how to operate these equipments.
- The establishment should invite producers of these equipments or experts on the operation of these equipments to train their secretaries and make it possible for them to operate the system effectively.
- Researching and souring vendors that will not only supply quality system but who will also keep the system going by servicing, maintaining and training clients and employees.
- Motivating the workers to increase personal turnover and to reduce personnel turnover.
- Making provision for fire fighting equipment in order to safeguard the documents because and contact with fire will cause the loss of the whole information available.
5.5 Limitations of the Study
One of my problem was that of lack of time to carry out the research extensively. I therefore limited the scope.
Another limitation was that of finance, since the time given to me to write and submit the project was too short, funds were really not available, I also took into cognizance the fact that the academic calendar was too short and my academic had was enormous.
Finally, I had the problem of getting the attention of some of the secretaries and their schedules. Even when I used the questionnaires as my only instrument, a good number of the questionnaires were attended to.
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦5,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731
|Acc No: 1225513212
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS
|Make Payment of 120 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Cloud Osabutey | MTN MoMo
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: The Latest Communication Office Equipment And Their Effect On Secretaries Profession: A Case Study Of Nigerian Breweries Plc (NB) Enugu
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply