Labour Policies And Workers Performance In Nigeria Public Service (An Overview)
This paper reviews the foundations of new labours economic policies and the performance of the economy since 1997. it gives that new labours policies have evolved from Thatcherism and that has largely embraced the tenants of neo-liberalism. New labour has rejected most aspects of key nesianism and its policies have eschewed the use of active demand management policies but it has been the high levels of demand in particular consumption expenditure that have driven economic growth in the Nigeria and which have ensured that (as yet) New labour has not faced the problems of dealing with a major economic downturn.
Table Of Contents
- Title Page
- Certification Page
- Table Of Contents
- 1.1 Background of the study
- 1.2 Statement of problems
- 1.3 Objectives of the study
- 1.4 Research questions
- 1.5 Significance of the study
- 1.6 Scope of the study
- 1.7 Limitations of the study
- 1.8 Definition of terms
2.0 Literature Review
- 2.1 Introduction
- 2.2 Other Functions of the topic
- 2.3 References
3.0 Research Design and Methodology
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Research design
- 3.3 Sources/methods of data collection
- 3.4 Population and Sample size
- 3.5 Sampling techniques/procedures
- 3.6 Validity and reliability of measuring instruments
- 3.7 Method of data analysis
4.0 Presentation and Analysis of Data
- 4.1 Introduction
- 4.2 Presentation of data
- 4.3 Analysis of data
- 4.4 Interpretation of results
5.0. Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
- 5.1. Introduction
- 5.2. Summary of Findings
- 5.3. Conclusion
- 5.4. Recommendation
- 5.5. References
Social and economic well-being of the people is one of the principle objectives of the present people’s government. Labour policy, like policies in other fields, should also aim in attaining the objectives in a manner best suited to the resources of the country and present state of economy. There is an urgent need to revitalize the economy, required sustained efforts, to increase the level of maximization on the employment.
There is an equally genuine requirement to create among workers and employers, a bitter awareness of the objectives to the national objectives state above at the same time, the government recognizes that workers and employers must enjoy reasonable benefits as can be sustained by the economy without suffering set-backs.
1.1 Background Of The Study
The Nigeria labour congress (NLC) continues to be confronted with a complete multiplicity of challenges in the fulfillment of its mandate as a works and popular public service. These challenged are defined increasingly by the constellation of economic, technological and political changes, which have radically re-configures the word under the growing hegemony of capital.
An evaluation should not only consist of performance metric, but also behavioral metrics in addition to gauge the potential growth of a worker’s the employer should specific some unique characteristics fitting to the industry the company is in. the goal of the evaluation should be to encourage professional excellence from the work rather than be used as a tool to point out short comes.
We specialize in creating custom workers evaluation forms and performance review form based on the industry the company is in. we work to help you achieve your goals with your workers and customized for the focus you are looking for. Some form can be centered on performance, while other and instructions, or management. Our forms and instructions will help you shape your workers to achieve more.
To know what your company can achieve you need to know what your workers have achieved and what their potential is. Workers evaluations are on important part of driving success. Save your company time and in the long run money, by getting professional documents created by your team specific for you.
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
This issue of public services performance in Nigeria has been a thing of concern to management/owners of businesses (public or private) the public, on the fact in a capitalists or mixed economy performance is dependent of the smaller wilts (companies) operating within the economy. The performance of any public services is therefore bases not only on management ability to plan in the short run, control, organizing, directing and co-ordination its resources, but the ability to plan labour ally far into the future and carefully implement the plan.
It is pertinent to note that policies labour ally has many range which have different impact on the public services performance these are the short labour plan. The medium term labour and the long labour plan, the adaptation of any of these ranges of plan by any public services will depend on the foreseen impact it will have on its operation.
Most public services in Nigeria prefer the short and medium labour plan because of the flexibility and almost certain the outcomes of such plans.
The use of the labour policies is therefore not widely applied in Nigeria companied. This is probably, due to the seeming uncertainty associated with the outcomes and the high cost involved in formulating and implementing such plans.
The relunctancy shown on the part of most Nigerians companies is using the labour policies due to the disadvantages, has therefore bought out the problems of this research work. The problem there is to determine whether labour policies create impact to the performance of the public services. If yes, hat specific impact or advantages will it have towards public services performance? The aim of this question is to find out ways of encouraging public services to embark on the labour policies as a way of setting labour goals, ensuring continual survival of the public service and improving public services decision making process.
1.3 Objectives / Purposes Of The Study
Keeping these priorities in view, the Government considers that a balanced labour policy should be based on the following objective:
- Worker’s right to form unions should be protected as an institutional framework is made available to foster class cooperation between workers and employers at establishment level.
- Equitable adjustment of rights between workers and employees should be ensured and employers should be ensured in an atmosphere of harmony, mutually beneficial to the workers and the management.
- Constitutions between workers and employers on matters of interest to the establishment and welfare of workers should be made more effective.
- Adequate security of jobs should be available to the workers and there should be expeditious redressal of their grievance.
- Conditions should be created that workers and employers are committed in enhancing the labour productivity.
- Promotion to higher jobs be ensured at all levels based on suitability and merit and for this purpose arrangement should be made for in-service training facilities.
- Facilities for proper matching of job opportunities and the job section be strengthened and standard procedures be streamlined.
- Social insurance scheme to be further strengthened.
- Just and human conditions of work be guaranteed to all workers.
- Forced labour in all its forms to be eliminated.
- Provision relating to the employment of children to be strictly adhered and be enforced.
The labour policy has accordingly been divided into four parts I.e.
- Legal frame work
- Advocacy: Rights of workers and employers
- Skill Development and employment
- Manpower export.
1.4 Research Questions
In this research work, the following question were developed and answers sort by the researcher for the purpose of this research work, the researcher will formulate.
- Does labour process play an role in the sustenance of public services.
- Does a labour policy enhance the growth of the public services.
- Does labour policies made public servants to be more efficient and effective in the discharge of their duties.
- Does Labour policies enhances the public services performance.
- Does the public services a personal have the ability to react favorably to the public services changing patterns.
1.5 Significance Of The Study
This research work is significant with the following ways.
- The work services as basic for further research in this one of study.
- It is on contribution to knowledge in this area of important labour policies is on public services all performance and development generally to improve performance through labour policies.
- The qualification necessary to do improve public services as performance.
- The work will throw height or how to plan labour ally in other to improve public services all performance for easy actualization of public services objective at the end.
1.6 Scope Of The Study
The scope of this research work will be limited NLC Imo state. The reasons for this are to make an in-depth analysis of the labour policies on the company’s performance and not on the entire operations of the company. The questionnaire to be distributed will be limited to those involved in policies especially labour policies on the public services implementing labour policies.
1.7 Limitation Of The Study
One major set back in the research work is time, there was not enough time to give this work the through search it deserves since respondents truthfulness in answering questions was not adequately guaranteed.
Therefore, the work was limited to the answers gotten from the respondents frequently rescheduling to the top level manages and then unwillingness, when interview to disclose some vital information they considered confidential to the researcher on the labour policies methods used by the public services.
Scarcity of books, journals and write ups with enough diverse view or policies contribute yet another limitation and set back to this research work.
The least but most important was financial constraint. The cost transportation to Aba where case study firm is located and foods spent in gathering data were very high.
1.8 Definition Of Terms
The researcher will at this point define some of the key terms and variables involved or used in this is to ensure a better understanding of this terms and variables and their application in this research work.
This work is used to the outcome or result of an occurrence or event in this work. Impact is the act of one objective hitting another.
Is a service which is provided by government to people living within its jurisdiction, either directly (through the public sector) or by financing private provision of services.
This is typically described as a principle or rule to guide decisions and achieve rational outcomes. The term is not normally used to denote what is actually referred to as either procedure or protocol. Policies are generally adopted by the board of or senior governance body within an organization where as procedure or protocol would be developed and adopted by senior executive officers.
This is a systematic and periodic process that assesses an individual employees job performance and productivity in relation to certain pre-established criteria and organizational objectives.
5.0. Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
In summary, it is obvious that despite the successful effort of the past administration to see to the realization of the 1976 Local Government Reforms in Nigeria, it is still quite disheartening that enough has not being achieve.
This is in addition to the outcome of our research work, which shows that the majority of inadequacies and unfounded facts lies on our political office holders and leaders of various governmental agencies and parastals, this has in no small way affected our administrative system in Nigeria, with respect to the Local Government council, which is seen as an instrument for rural development.
The research outcome also showed that laxity and unstable release of Local Government Allocation from both the Federal and state Governments has greatly rendered and weaken the spirit of commitment to work by the council staff, this is as a result of non-payment of staff’s salary an motivation which are the essential ingredients for effective and efficiency discharging of duties and responsibilities, as well as tools for increasing work force, thereby increasing productivity in the administrative system of Nigeria.
Also, it is revealed that non-commitment from the staff of the council to their designated responsibilities has also affected the implementation of rural development policies and programmes of the local government. The management and executive arms of the local government is not left out as they neglect responsibilities, duties and functions and focus on the irrelevant matters which pays the council no good. In the management of funds of the council, it is of the view that much is yet to be desired as the funds are being mismanaged and appropriated to irrelevant things, while the greater percentage is being diverted into personal pulse, thus, leaving the council with nothing to run its business.
Nevertheless, the attitude of the citizenry of the council has greater negative effects on the council, as some of them exhibits negative attitude towards developmental projects within their communities, villages and town. Thus can de deduced in a situation whereby some community heads kicked against development which has being envisaged might not be in their interest, this problem is common in every communities ad has greatly hindered the development effort of the Government both at the National, state and local levels.
To summarize it all, the truth still remains that majority of local government has tried effortlessly to develop their communities to a very large extent, which can be seen in the areas like; health care delivery, stabilize Agricultural inputs, grading and reconstruction of roads, to mention but few. However, there is need for all hands to be on desk to achieve and realize our rural development we have hoped for ages, with respect to Local Government, state and federal Government development and transformation agenda of the present Administration of our president, Dr. Ebele Goodluck Jonathan.
With respect to aforementioned findings made, the researcher therefore wish to recommend as follows to the good and realization of our rural development.
- Co-ordination of the development efforts of the various formal and informal organizations, such as governmental department, parastatals and agencies, town and village unions, social clubs, Christian organizations, as well as non-governmental organizations (NOGs) and so on, will in greater measure influence and transform the activities of the Government and ensure proper record keeping for future references and purposes.
- Procurement of adequately trained personnel for the organizational and educational processes associated with rural development in their areas of authority: There is no doubt that for increase in the productivity level, there is need of trained and skilled personnel, if this could be properly fused together, I believe there will be a face-life in all the areas of functions and responsibilities of the council, with reference to organizational and educational sectors, as well as every other sectors in the Local Government council.
- Also, inspecting and reporting on both Federal and state Government development projects in their areas of authorities. Mostly, the federal and state Governments and their agencies should ensure that Local Government system in Nigeria are adequately involves, not only in the process of local projects in their areas of authority, but also in the arrangement for the successful execution of such projects. This will go a long way to stimulate and enhance the practice of the principle of participatory democracy at grass root levels. Hence, sense of belonging for all the citizenry will be achieved and realized to a very large extent which will foster all round development and also improve the living condition of the people.
- It is quite obvious, going by the sincere belief that any attempt at making the local government fruitless without development orientated will be fruitless without the provision of adequate fund. It is therefore very expedient to recommend that all the collected revenue should be increased and minuted under the immediate governance of the Local Government. In addition, these fund when properly fronded should be mentioned and controlled effectively so that it will not be diverted to individual pockets, mismanagement or misappropriate to irrelevant things, thereby leaving the sole aim of the find untouched. Hence, degenerating the activities of the council.
- Also, there should be improvement in the working capacity condition of services of the employee with this, there is no doubt that there will sudden increase and rise in the standard of performance of the staff, thereby increasing output. It will also attract qualified, skilled and competent staff outside and within the council locality.
- The last but not the least, is proper and adequate planning and implementing of small scale industries and agro-based pilot projects, thereby encouraging serious and total commitment in the agricultural production. This could be achieved immensely through subsidizing agricultural farming inputs and facilities by all the levels of the government, especially the federal Government. This will enable the rural farmers to access such inputs to increase their production for consumption and commercial purpose. In addition, agricultural transformation could be easily and best achieved, coupled with the present Agricultural transformation agenda of the present administration of the president; Dr. Ebele Goodluck Jonathan with greater concerns in empowering rural farmers.
- There is need for National Orientation agency (NOA) to sit-up in ensuring proper orientation programmes and policies to equip the citizenry about the activities, programmes and policies which are geared towards developmental projects, especially rural development. People’s mind sets and attitudes need to be transformed and change from negative perspective to positive side as this will enable them to see the development projects of the government ad good and welcome development.
- Government on her own should endeavor to carry all and sundry along with her in her policies and programmes, thereby giving them sense of belonging and direct participation in her agenda for good, better and improved standard of living and economic growth of the country at large.
Sequel to the findings and recommendation of this research work. Earlier, the researcher stated the problems confronting the council, hinterland which we aims to investigate into the external aspect of the local Government system in Nigeria as represented by Nnewi south Local Government Area of Anambra state has been able to mobilize both the human and material resources, as well as natural resources for the development of its area and jurisdiction.
In addition, the researcher also set his objective of the study to be an insight into the functioning of the local Government in 1976, with Nnewi South Local Government Area as his case study, in the height of its efforts and performance in the area of rural development. Following what gathered and analysis made, the researcher discovered and found out that the Local Government council are far away from the realization of the objectives of the Local Government reforms in the area of rural development.
Furthermore, it was found out that some of the major factors militating against the council efficiency in this area, among other things includes: lack of dedication and commitment on the part of local government system in Nigeria. Others includes: misplacement of organizational priorities and the resultant on the part of the administrators, and as well as unreliable external funding and inability to generate internal revenue for development purpose.
Finally, local Government should have it in mind that they are there to serve, save and protect the people at the grass root level of their interest.
Labour Policies And Workers Performance In Nigeria Public Service (An Overview)
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | +234-8143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- Labour Policies And Workers Performance In Nigeria Public Service (An Overview)
The complete material will be sent to your email address after receiving your payment information | T & C Apply
You may also like:
This research material “Labour Policies And Workers Performance In Nigeria Public Service (An Overview)” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “Labour Policies And Workers Performance In Nigeria Public Service (An Overview)” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.