Investment Appraisal In A Depressed Economy (A Case Study Of Cadbury Nigeria Plc)
Investment appraisal in a depressed economy tries to center on how possible it is for business men to invest in the economy with its downward slide. It also looks at the different investment raise techniques that can be used in appraising the different types of investment. Questionnaires were given to twenty-five respondents of the study company which involved primary and secondary data collection in the filed. Cad bury who air there view about the topic and through the response made by them, the following findings were made. The investment holders can be the directors, shareholders, employees, the government among others. On the totality, appraisal of investment has been discovered to head to the effective planning and controlling of the enterprising scarce resources. Delivering into investment, which can maximize the shareholders wealth. That investment appraisal should be undertaken by any company that wants to from which the findings and the following recommendations were made.
Table Of Content
- Title Page
- Table of Content
- 1.1 Background of Study
- 1.2 Statement of the study
- 1.3 Objective of the study
- 1.4 Research Question
- 1.5 Scope of the study
- 1.6 Significance of the study
- 1.7 Historical development of Cadbury Nigeria PLC.
- 1.8 Merit and demerit of investment appraisal
- 1.9 Definition of terms
- 2.1 Introduction
- 2.2 Definition of investment appraisal
- 2.3 Area of investment appraisal
- 2.4 Procedure for investment appraisal
- 2.5 Reasons for investment appraisal
- 2.6 Decision to invest
- 2.7 Investment appraisal techniques (TYPES)
- 2.8 Other methods of investment appraisal
- 2.9 The effect of inflation of investment appraisal
- 2.10 Problems of Investment Appraisal
Research Design and Methodology
- Research Design
- 3.1 Areas Selection for study
- 3.2 Description of Research Instrument
- 3.3 Sample size
- 3.4 Conduct of the field work
- 3.5 Analysis procedure
Analysis, Interpretation and Presentation of Data
- 4.1 Data analysis and interpretation
- 4.2 Analysis
Summary of Findings, Conclusion and Recommendation
- 5.1 Summary of major findings
- 5.2 Conclusion
- 5.3 Recommendations
- 5.4 Limitation
- Appendix 1
- Appendix II
1.1 Background Of The Study
Different schools of thought on the reasons for the existence of a business organization. While some believe that profit in the sole reason for existence, other believe that a business exist in order to survive the vagaries facing the business and its owners.
With proper evaluation of this school of thought, one would be persuaded to believe that the perceptions of this various schools of thought about the reasons for the existence of a business entity an be likened to the stony of the five blind men who were ask to inspect an elephant with each giving an account of the elephant with the perception of the area he could feel with his hands. It is therefore with a view to creating uniformity in the perception of managers for the reasons for the existence of a business entity that the great management philosopher, Peter F. Drucker in his book “The nature of management” propounded eight reasons for existence of business entity.
The reasons stated are;
To make profit
To produce consumable goods and provide essential services to its customer.
To experiment and generate new ideas of production of goods and deliverance of services.
iv. Financial standing:
To improve the liquidity status of the company at any point in time.
v. Physical resources:
To ensure that the resources employed in the management of the organization are not only maintained but also under safe custody and made easily available for production.
vi. Workers attitude and performance:
The workers stand as on epitome of the organizational attitude hence polished manner and cheerful attitude is expected to win customers for the organization.
vii. Manager performance and development:
The managers are the catalyst upon which the workers act and the enhanced performance of the manager would be testament to high motivation of he work force and invariably in proved productivity.
viii. Social responsibility:
The business entities do not operate in a vacuum. Due to the fact that it obtain environment and simultaneously release output for consumption of its customers, then it has to be sensitive to the services of the environment in which it operates and this would amount to being socially responsible to its consumers and environs.
Among the reasons given by Drucker one fact still remain glaring that for a business to exist, it has to stake its fund either within or outside he organization with the expectation of returns in order to meet up with the continuity or going concern objectives.
1.2 Statement Of Problem
The fact that the business entrepreneur states his money in ventures which would eventually yield returns for him places him in a position which means he has to be frugal in his spending and avoid frivolous spending which might eventually lead to the devise of the organization. Being frugal in his spending does not mean that the financial manager would be miserly in his outlook to spending but that the venture in which he would invest would improve the financial position of the organization can only be improved if the financial manager invest in projects that are profitable and avoid as much as possible loss bearing investments unless it improve the goodwill of the organization.
Definition of Investment Appraisal
It is the provision of information that will assist management in making of decisions concerning the investment of capital example includes:
- Replacement decision
- Investment for expansion
- Investment for product improvement and/or cost reduction.
- New venture
- Strategic investment.
Investment appraisal therefore is that technique devised by the financial managers as a yardstick for determining the profitability or otherwise of any venture he dabbles into.
1.3 Objectives Of The Study
The embankment of this area of study stems from an appreciation of techniques of investment appraisal and an innate desire to share the knowledge with those it might be useful to. The paramount objectives of the study could however be narrowed down to.
- Reference material: To provide a handy material on which other research students can fall back on for reference purpose.
- Discussion of Techniques: To bring into light those investment appraisal techniques that are in existence.
- Merit and Demerit: To highlight the strengths and weakness of the various investment techniques.
- Knowledge acquisition: The dissertational affect is as well directed towards further expansion and acquisition of knowledge based on appraisal of investment
- To lay fear of future managers who makes judgmental decision.
1.4 Research Question
- What level do you occupy in the management hierarchy?
- Which department do you belong to in your organization .
- What is your educational qualification?
- How often do you think investment should be appraisal?
- Do you agree that some of the presently available investment appraisal techniques are out dated and could be improved upon?
- What do you consider the most superior of the appraisal techniques of the traditional and modern method?
1.5 Scope Of The Study
There seem to exists a limit less lists of researchable area on investment appraisal. An appreciation of this fact has however necessitated that restriction of the research work into an appreciable framework.
The research effort is therefore narrowed down to:
- The dissertation of the various investment appraisal techniques, which aids prudent decision-making.
- The reviews of the various problems, which are likely to be encountered during investment appraisal.
- The establishment of variable investment opportunities.
- Effect of investment appraisal on the wealth of the shareholders.
- Improvement of the existing investment appraisal techniques.
The discussion of investment appraisal techniques in relation of this project work is form the adoption of the techniques of cadbing Nigeria ltd. Other organization might posses more useful or even complex ways of appraising investments. Despite this constraint much effort will be exerted may trying to establish technique which may not necessary be applied by cadbing Nigeria plc.
1.6 Significance Of Study
The Nigerian economy is dwindling drastically as regard finance with the currency of the country, the Naira exchanging to the dollar at close to N100. A dwindle economy with a tint of political instability would naturally discourage flow of investment and a halt in the flow investment would lead to inflation and all its attendant symptoms which highlighted by a depressed economy. Therefore incumbent on the financial managers ensure that in a depressed like Nigeria, not only should investment opportunities be sought but should also be critically appraised with other existing opportunities so that optimum use of the limited finance of the organization is achieved. The problem is not peculiar to Nigeria or the developing countries alone, the importance of investment appraisal is even more appreciated in developed countries where the ideas were passed down. This therefore the objective of this study to bring into lights the usefulness of investment appraisal.
1.7 Historical Development Of Cadbury Nigeria Plc.
Cadbury Nigeria plc was incorporated on the 9th of January 1965 to engage in the food processing business. Its major product lines consist of food, food drinks, sugar confectionery, chocolate and seasoning cubes. The Cadbury Schweppes group of United kingdom which provides the company with technical services under a technical service agreement, approved by the national office of technology acquisition and promotion (NOTAP) holds 40% of the issued share capital while the balance in held by the Nigerian populace.
Due to the fast growth of the company and its need to spread its tentacles to the nooks and crannies of Nigeria, the company has been able to embark on a massive expansionary tactic with branches. In states ranging from Benin
City, Enugu, Jos, Kaduna, Kano to states like Owerri, Port Harcourt and Warri.
The companies also have branches in other countries like Cameroon, Coted’ivaire and Switzerland.
The company in al ramification can be termed as a big company, according to section 376 (2) of the companies and Allied matter decree of 1990 (CAMD) stated that a company would be stated to be a small company where it has the following features:
- Private company limited by shares
- Company with it turnover not exceeding N2m
- Net asset not more than N1m.
- Non of it shareholder is a foreigner.
- Government has no stake in it activities or a government agent.
- The directors holders not less than 51% of the equity share capital of the company.
Cadbury Nigeria Plc is a factory from the provision of the decree with respect to their 1997 financial report; the company made a staggering sum of N17B as it turnover and whooping sum of N755m as profit before tax and N640m as profit on ordinary activities after tax.
For a company that parades such an enviable financial success despite an economy fraught with strikes and protest, it is therefore important to keep such a position in order to ensure that the confidence of the shareholders in the management of the company is boosted, with a bid to achieve this ostentatious desire of the management, the company utilizes to the full, the effort of decentralization, which enables the various branches to operate fully as an independent entity with negligible interferences from the head office.
The organization of Cadbury Nigeria Plc entails the division of work between officer into different department. Due to the sensitive role which the finance of the organization plays, a separate department is established to effectively make decision about how the finance for the organization should be effectively utilized so that optimal result is achieved.
1.8 Merit Of Investment Appraisal:
The following are the merit, which the use of investment appraisal brings.
- Viability of the investment would be ascertained before committing funds to it.
- Adoption of techniques like sensitive analysis will ensure that management adequately under stands which cost, whether variable or fixed is more sensitive and needs more attention than others.
- Improved financial position of the enterprise can be achieved.
- Acquisition of more experience by the financial manager and the subordinate who might desire to fill managerial vacancies in future.
- Improvement of profitability of the company, which leads to giving of, more returns to the share holders.
1.9 Definition Of Term
Investment appraisal is not an all sweet affair, despite the advantages it possess, it has some set back and some of these set backs are:
- It may lead to unnecessary waste of precious time in making decision, as to which investment where investment needs a speedy decision.
- Appraisal of investment incorporates some assumption, which may not hold reality.
- Avoidable data collections expenses, which may eventually turnout, to be force.
- Investment appraisal does not necessary guarantee that an investment would be worthwhile, it only serves as a pointer to worthwhile ness of n investment “Ceteris Paribus”.
1.10 Definition Of Term
Evaluation of the attractiveness of an investment proposal , using methods such as average rate of return, internal rate of return (IRR) net present value (NPV), or payback – period investment appraisal is an integral port of capital budgeting (see capital budget) and is applicable to areas even where the returns may not be easily qualificable such as personnel marketing and training.
A depressed economy can be activities of all types are operating at a lower level than is normal or expected . I believe you should look into the topic of economic depression for greater detail, and perhaps attach some number to the description.
Investment Appraisal In A Depressed Economy (A Case Study Of Cadbury Nigeria Plc)
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | +234-8143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- Investment Appraisal In A Depressed Economy (A Case Study Of Cadbury Nigeria Plc)
The complete material will be sent to your email address after receiving your payment information | T & C Apply
You may also like:
This research material “Investment Appraisal In A Depressed Economy (A Case Study Of Cadbury Nigeria Plc)” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “Investment Appraisal In A Depressed Economy (A Case Study Of Cadbury Nigeria Plc)” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.