An Investigation Into The Relationship Between Personnel Management And Local Government Administration
This study investigates the relationship between personnel management and local government administration on Abak Local Government Area in Akwa Ibom. In the course of this study five objectives were formulated, seven research questions and two hypotheses were formulated to guide the investigation. To validate these hypotheses and the principal research questions of the study, data were collected through primary, sources (observation and questionnaire as well as interviews) and secondary sources: textbooks, internet materials, journals, newspaper, and government documents. The data from the questionnaires were subjected to statistical analysis. Results revealed that, although Abak Local Government office implement workers training and development in local government, inadequate funding of training and development programmes and selection of workers for training not based on the recruitment needs of local government hinder workers training and development in the local government of Abak state. Based on these findings, the study recommends among others, enhanced regulatory capacity on the part of the government for effective enforcement of workers training and development policies in local government; increase funding of training and development programmes and adopt measures to ensure that selection of workers for training and development is based on the recruitment needs of local government and periodic evaluation of training and development programmes.
Table of contents
- 1.1 Background of the Study
- 1.2 Statement of the Problem
- 1.3 Objective of the Study
- 1.4 Research Questions
- 1.5 Significance of the Study
- 1.6 Research Hypothesis
- 1.7 Limitations/Scope of the Study
- 2.1 Conceptual framework
- 2.1.1 Concept of management
- 2.2 Theoretical Framework
- 2.3 Empirical Review
- 3.1 Research Design
- 3.2 Area of the Study
- 3.3 Population of the Study
- 3.4 Sample and sampling techniques
- 3.5 Instrument for data collection
- 3.6 Validation of Instrument
- 3.7 Reliability of Instrument
- 3.8 Method of Data Collection
Data Presentation, Analysis and Interpretation
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
- 5.1 Summary
- 5.2 Conclusion
- 5.3 Recommendations
1.1 Background of the Study
The local government system is specially designed to bring governance close to the people at the grassroots. The need to enhance efficiency and workability of the system led to the reforms in the local government administration in Nigeria. In spite of these reforms the system has neither brought the much desired results especially in transforming the rural areas nor checked corruption which thrives in Nigeria.
Indeed, one area where the system has suffered severe dislocations is in the field of Personnel management. This has helped to enforce low morals in many workers resulting in low productivity, favoritism and corruption. In order to sanitize the system therefore, there is need to keep strictly to the standard rules in relation to proper personnel placement in all the Departments in the local government (Isabemoch, 2010).
Personnel management for many years being the most strategic and potent resource in any organization, has not received the desired professional management for the attainment of local governments’ contributions towards national development. Consequently, lack of performance on the part of local government personnel often results in moribund national development. That is why the role of local government in national development has always been a question of argument and general discussion. The issue becomes worse when problems of development are traced to lack of managerial ability manifested in the inability to plan and execute government programmes as well as efficient and effective social service delivery Peter (2015).
Chafi (2014) Personnel management in local government makes development to be possible, so there is the need for the emergence of a sound manpower management programme within which adequate, skilled and well-motivated workforce should operate. No local government can be efficient and effective if it underrates the critical role that people play in achieving goals.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
In public administrative management such as local Government Administration, little or no attention is often paid to personnel management as an indispensable tool for Local Government Administration.
In any organization, public or private personnel play an in dispensation role in the success and growth of the organization.
A cursory look at local government management in the state typifies that they cannot perform optional because they see personnel management strategies as irrelevant. No wonder local governments in the state are totally dependent on government subsidy. Inability to cater for the growth of the local government is the resultant effect of unproductivity.
1.3 Objective of the Study
The major purpose of the study includes:
- To identify the significant relationship between personnel management and local government administration
- To find out the effect of personnel management strategies on local government goals and objective attainment.
- Examine the role personnel administrative unit in local government administration.
- To known whether local government in Abak has attached whether local government in Abak has attached importance to personnel management.
- To identify different personnel management tools as they contribute to the success of the local governments in the state.
1.4 Research Questions
To attain objectives of this study the following research questions are designed and used as guide.
- Is there any significance relationship between personnel management and local government administration?
- Is there any significance difference between effective personnel management and the growth of local government administration?
- Is there any significance difference between local government personnel management and improving local government administration management.
- Does manpower development have any effect on local government administration?
- If there is, what level effect does it has on local government administration?
- Will performance appraisal serves as a communication factor for local government administration?
- If yes to question 6 above, what extent does it serves?
- Will training and development have any effect on local government administration services?
- Does your local Government council attach importance to effective management of local government personnel?
1.5 Significance of the Study
The study will be of importance to the following groups of peoples.
- It will help for the growth and productivity of the local government administration.
- Effective personnel management will help to create more job opportunities in the Local Government Area.
- It will also help to know the role of personnel administrative unit in local government administrative.
- Effective personnel management will increase the economy of the local government and serve as a reference to poor administration.
The researches works enable the researcher to be acquainted with the fundamentals of research.
It has helped the researcher increase his knowledge and skills. Moreover, the research will help in fulfilling the requirements for the award of National Diploma (OND) in management.
Also the study might be of help as reference materials to others researchers who might be conducting similar research work and to educate more on the usefulness of personnel management in local government administration.
1.6 Research Hypothesis
Hi: There is no significance difference between personnel management and local government administration.
Hii: There is no significance relationship between personnel management and improvement off local government administration.
1.7 Limitations/Scope of the Study
The study was limited to Abak Local Government, Akwa Ibom State. Personnel management of local government, Abak for various years was used owing to limited resources.
Regarding time, comparisons could not be made with other local government in the state.
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
The purpose of this research work has been to assess the human resources management in Nigeria through investigation and analysis. Because in our contemporary world, there is a visible attempt by law of change to turn the universe to new world of technology, and this has affected the whole sphere of human endeavor in any organization. In order to achieve the objectives of the study, hypothesis was used to test the structured questionnaires on the investigation into the relationship between personnel management and local government administration using Abak LGA as the case study. While employing simple percentages in analyzing the data collected, the test carried out proved beyond doubt that:
- The effective strategic management plan by the personnel department of the LGAs can enhance quality delivery of the organizations.
- Motivation such as incentives, promotion and maintenance of good working condition of workers help to improve optimal productivity and creativity of the LGA.
- Environment, technology and social economic changes affect the management of workers’ welfare in the LGA
Personnel is a critical factor in the attainment of the goals of an organization, hence good organizational structure does not by itself, guarantee good performance. Personnel is life to the existence, survival and development of an organization as food is to man; since all the activities of any organization are initiated and determined by the persons who make up that organization. Plant, offices, computers, automated equipment and all else that a modern firm uses are unproductive except for human efforts and direction. This is why personnel have been defined as persons employed in an organization to perform some kind of work or task including the management of them.
However, the ability of personnel to contribute to the attainment of the goals of an organization such as the local government depends to a large extent on how well they are managed. This is because all the task of management managing the human component is central and most important task because all else depend on how well it is done. Simply put, the personnel of an organization have to be properly managed for them to be able to make maximum contribution to the organization. Such organization may be the local government council.
Local government is a unit of government below the central, regional and state government, established by law to exercise political authority through a representative council within a defined area. It is also a system of public administration at a local level, charged with the responsibility of bringing the people at the grassroots closer to the government. It involves a philosophical commitment to a democratic participation in the governing process at the local level. The expediency for the creation of local government stems from the need to facilitate development at the grassroots. Its importance, however, is a function of its ability to generate sense of belongingness, safety and satisfaction among its populace.
To achieve these important changes, the seeming impediments, in the context of problems of personnel management, such that have infringed on its performance of functions, duties and responsibilities, should be dealt with. To deal with such impediments that constitute local government personnel management problems, some innovative ideologies enumerated should be employed and adhered to. Such as follows; Acquisition of modern organizational technologies and consequent acquisition of the skills and knowledge to operate, use and maintain such equipment; constitutional absolute autonomy to the local government as a third tier government, in terms of finance (statutory allocation) and personnel management interference and control;
Improve funding of the councils to ensure the ability to acquire up-to-date technologies and qualified personnel, such that will ensure productivity of the council. Improved incentives and motivation of the personnel and the re-uniformity of salary scale structure with those of state or even federal civil servants.
Based on the findings of the study, the following recommendations have been made
- Motivation of workers should be adopted to create good working environment and to improve workers attitude towards achieving corporate objectives.
- Promotion and maintenance of good working condition of workers should be dully observed without bias and sentiment.
- Human resources managers must shun and eschew bribery and corruption.
- The local Government Service Commission should embark on seminars and workshop in order to train human capital for efficiency and productivity.
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦5,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731
|Acc No: 1225513212
|Acc No: 8143831497
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS
|Make Payment of 120 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Cloud Osabutey | MTN MoMo
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: An Investigation Into The Relationship Between Personnel Management And Local Government Administration
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply