An Investigation Into The Importance Of Ethics And Social Responsibilities Of A Business Organization in Imo State (A Case Study Of Ruba Insurance Company)
This study found out the importance of Ethics and social responsibility in a business organization, to be precise the RUBA Insurance company Imo state.
To make this study successful, questionnaire, interview questions and review of related literature were employed as research tools. Data collected were analyzed, using frequency and percentage method after displaying some on table.
The research highlighted the importance of ethics and social responsibility in one organization and the major findings among others are: The staff are ethically and socially responsible in their dealings in the organization.The staff complains of some inadequacies that stops them from being ethically and socially responsible.
Table Of Content
- Title page
- Approved page
- Table of content
- 1.1 Background of the study
- 1.2 Statement of the problem
- 1.3 Significance of the study
- 1.4 Objective of the study
- 1.5 Scope of the study
- 1.6 Research questions
- 1.7 Definition of terms
2.0 Review of Related Literature
- 2.1 Introduction
- 2.2 The importance of ethics and social responsibilities to a secretary in a business organization.
- 2.3 Ethical requirements of the secretarial profession
- 2.4 Ethical matters related to functional areas of business organization
- 2.5 Involvement of government in ethics and social responsibilities
- 2.6 Government control and business ethics in organizations.
- 2.7 Social responsibilities of RUBA insurance company
- 2.8 Ethical responsibilities of RUBA insurance company.
- 2.9 Summary of literature.
3.0 Research Design and Methodology
- 3.1 Design of study
- 3.2 Area of study
- 3.4 Population
- 3.4 Sample size
- 3.5 Questionnaire
- 3.6 Personal interview
- 3.7 Observation
- 3.8 Validation of the instrument
- 3.9 Administration of the instrument
- 3.10 Data analysis technique
4.0 Data Presentation and Analysis
- 4.1 Presentation of data
- 4.3 Data analysis
- 4.4 Research questions
5.0 Findings, Recommendations and Conclusions
- 5.1 Findings
- 5.2 Recommendations
- 5.3 Conclusions
- 5.4 Areas of further studies
- 5.5 References
- 5.6 Appendix
- 5.7 Questionnaire
1.1 Background of the study
Ethics and social responsibilities of a business and their organization has been extremely important to every society and Nigeria at large. Every society makes sure that those who engage in any form of business should engage in good morals in their daily activities. Ethics and social responsibilities are related concepts that pay special attention on moral conscience of business. The idea of ethical responsibilities has to do with those issues and problems that concerns people in business, and their faithfulness to their organization and to their customers also.
Social responsibilities and its problem is the interest and need of every society. There are laid down rules that govern every profession. In enabling us understand what “ethics” actually means, we shall quickly look at the following phenomena that could rapidly be misconceived as ethics. We are referring to such phenomena as law and morality: Laws are laid down rules made by administrations, communities, governments etc. And the motives of these laws are primarily to regulate or check discrepancies or misconduct as may be observed in human character or behavior. Summarily; laws improves human character, which when absent could bring about disorderliness and chaos.
Morality on the other hand is related to the opinion principle of good and evil as it affect human conduct. It comes from the mind to differentiate good from evil. We can in other words refer to morals as love and ethical virtues. Finally morals involves individual character considered by the winning standard of moral honesty.
Ethics has been defined as the principle of right and wrong conduct by the American heritage dictionary (second college edition). It is also the general study of the entire nature of morals and the specific moral choices made by a person as it affect his relationship with his fellow individuals.
Those used in an organization in achieving it’s objectives, makes up the workforce of that organization and also of competence of any organizational objectives.
A very high level of performance and efficiency has to be attained by the staff as a workforce: Efficiency is a function of so many different factors like, political, social, societal and economical, just to mention but a few. The staff is an essential factor of production in any given establishment since their proficiency and contributions can either promote or demote the efficiency of an establishment. In the eyes of an ordinary person, a staff could be considered as a group of individual or persons that operate in an establishment in order to achieve a common purpose. They also indulge in accounting, managerial and clerical functions.
A good staff is one that uses his intellect and positive opinions to make suitable decision not beyond the scope of approved governance without having to be monitored and also with a reasonable degree of moral standards.
Members of every professions are being guided by some codes of conducts; such professions include, Lawyers, Doctors, Customs, etc. There are some ethical conducts that are written down on paper, whereas others are verbal or unwritten. The said rules are made known to the members of a particular profession. To be ethical means, keeping these rules in your relationship with your fellow staff whereas, to be in ethical means not abiding by these rules.
Social and ethical obligations are concepts that concentrate o the conscience of business managers as an image-maker of an establishment with the outside world. This is normally achieved by the reasonable use of telephones, faxes, letters, etc. To an extent, this encourages positive public reaction towards the organization depending on the moral character of the staff. It is therefore of interest that since the staff engage in various forms of business administration ranging from agriculture to production and manufacturing, they should be socially and morally obligated to the community where they operate so as to excel in their operations.
1.1 Statement of the problem
An office personnel should be a mirror through which an organization restructures its duties and functions. This implies that the personnel should portray the good image of the said organization, since high social responsibilities and moral demand are expected from them. The quality of services rendered by the staff can be influenced by the environment where they operate. The environmental situation can be changed if its moral status is low, but on the other hand, the staff should be encouraged to adapt to the environmental standards if its moral status is encouraging.
So an organization should have a dynamic social responsibility to enable it influence its environmental positively for viability and stability. The objective of every organization should be to maintain a worthy inter-relationship amongst its staff, the organize person and its environment in order to enhance cordial outcome. Finally,the organization that it exists.
1.2 Significance of the study
This project is geared towards serving some useful purposes and everything that can be done, will be done to ensure that these objectives are not defected.
The advantages of this project that makes it obviously imperative are as follows:
- To support the promotion of productivity especially where the ethics of business profession is adhered to suit us organizational motive.
- To indicate to controlling authorities, essential areas and shortcomings that needs necessary attention.
This work will support the education of every top management, of the ethics desired of them.
1.3 Objective of the study
The objectives of this study is to ascertain the extent of social obligation and ethics of the staff of RUBA insurance compay. These includes the following:
- To know if there is a proof that RUBA Insurance Company is ethically and socially responsible.
- If the company has any inadequacy that stops them from being ethically and socially responsible.
- To know if these problems bring set back in the workers productivity.
- To know if there have been any case of compliant of unethical practices by the staff in your company.
- To know if the company benefits from being ethically and socially responsible.
- To know if ethics training is provided for top management, middle management, supervisors and other employees, if the training is very important or significant in the operation or function of the business.
1.4 Scope and limitation of the study
The scope of this study is wide especially if it has to be attributed to all organizations such as banks, industries, etc. The study is limited upon the fact that materials and time required to enhance it are subsequently limited.
This study is limited to Imo State based on the fact that the researcher happens to be a student based in Imo State and lacks both time and funds required to get beyond this scope.
1.5 Research questions
- Are there any proof that RUBA Insurance Company is ethically and socially responsible? (b) Has your company any inadequacy that stops them from being ethically and socially responsible?
- Do these problems bring set-back in the workers productivity in the company?
- Has there been any case of compliant of unethical practices by the staff in your company?
- Does your company benefits from being ethically and socially responsible?
- Is ethics training provided for top management, middle management, supervisors and other employee, if it is very important or significant in the operation or function of the business?
1.6 Definition of terms
An estimated rate of work
A place where business is transacted
The rule made by given society, groups etc
Is the judgment principle of right and wrong
This refers to an estimated rate of work. It also means the rate at which goods are produced, compared with the work, time and money needed to produce them.
It means a group, such as a clubor business that is formed for a particular purpose. It also means the act of planning and arranging things effectively.
This is a whole system of rules that citizens of a country, an organization or a particular community should obey and abide by.
Morality deals with the principles of right and wrong behaviour. It consists of all behaviour, which conforms to the social standards of a society, which is carried out voluntarily by the individual.
This refers to the act or skill of directing and organizing the work or performance of a company or an organization effectively.
This is the ability and skill to execute a job properly or the skill required to undertake a particular assignment.
This refers to all the situations, circumstances, events, people etc, which influence the way in which people live, work and operate.
5.0 Findings, Recommendation And Conclusions
This research work has been interested on finding how ethical and social responsible a business organization is, to be more precise on RUBA Insurance company.
In the research it was discovered that the staff are ethically and socially responsible.
The following findings were also made;
- There were some unions established to look into the welfare of the workers and benefactors making the organization 65% ethically and socially responsible.
- The staff also complained that there were some inadequacies that stop them from being ethically and social responsible.
- There has been some complaints of unethical practices by the sales representative of the organization even though the management has been taken various steps to rectify these problems.
- Statistically prove, that the organization granted some amenities to the environment.
- It was also discovered that the organization benefits from being ethically and socially responsible, because it increased their productivity and they achieved their maximum profit which was their goal.
- The environment affected the staff if the management of the organization do not observe the code of ethics very well.
- Finally, the union that was set up to guide the welfare of benefactors were not carrying out their works independently because of the influence on them by the management of the organization.
- These union that was set up, the management should be autonomy in carrying out their basic functions, so as to make them an autonomus body in the organization, this will encourage organizational unionism.
- The management should encourage the union to deal with any worker found in any unethical practices in the organization.
- The management should also increase their social responsibilities not only to their workers, benefactors, and community in which they operate. They should engage more in activities like, scholarship, electrification, social amenities, and construction or roads, etc, which will help to increase their social responsibilities.
- A forum should be set up where the secretary management and their subordinates, where they will create a fair environment that would increase the workers productivity.
- Finally, the department that was responsible for the welfare of the staff should be allowed to function effectively so as to delegate and make necessary arrangement in solving the problems facing them for their effective management system in the organization.
The investigation of this research concluded that ethical and social responsibilities factors helped the organization in attaining its set goals or objectives.
Ineffective social responsibility and unethical practices indicated organizational divination from governmental rules and regulations set up to guide the functions and activities of various business organizations.
Ethics and social responsibilities were the life-wire of any organization. Any organization that wanted to remain in business should try and be ethically and socially responsible in dealing with their various; benefactors, customers, workers, and subordinate in the organization, so as to make them to achieve their objectives.
From the findings, the researcher is convinced that the RUBA Insurance company is ethically and socially responsible though they are some delimiting factors that affects them.
5.4 Areas of further studies:
Ethical and social responsible of various business organizations and its importance should be made known to every organizational members since it necessitated the effective management, by the government in all the organizations that were ethically and socially responsible.
An Investigation Into The Importance Of Ethics And Social Responsibilities Of A Business Organization in Imo State (A Case Study Of Ruba Insurance Company)
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | +234-8143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- An Investigation Into The Importance Of Ethics And Social Responsibilities Of A Business Organization in Imo State (A Case Study Of Ruba Insurance Company)
The complete material will be sent to your email address after receiving your payment information | T & C Apply
You may also like:
This research material “An Investigation Into The Importance Of Ethics And Social Responsibilities Of A Business Organization in Imo State (A Case Study Of Ruba Insurance Company)” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “An Investigation Into The Importance Of Ethics And Social Responsibilities Of A Business Organization in Imo State (A Case Study Of Ruba Insurance Company)” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.