Inventory Management System For Laboratory Management
The purpose of this study is to develop an inventory management system for laboratory management, using computer science laboratory, Akwa Ibom state polytechnic as a case study. The methodology employed for the development of the system is the spiral development. The system is described in order to understand its step by step operations so as to identify its benefits and areas of limitation that require improvement. The proposed system is such that it provides a graphical user interface so that the inventory record of the laboratory is captured and saved to a database. The advantages of the proposed system are; it saves time and cost, it makes the monitoring of the state of the equipments in the laboratory easier. It is very important that specialized software systems are designed and implemented to facilitate the capturing and management of inventory records of laboratory such as computer labs.
Inventory is the quantity of goods and materials on hand that an organization or manufacturer uses to represent those items that are ready, available or in good condition. An inventory management system is a set of hardware and software based tools that automate the process of tracking inventory. The kinds of inventory tracked with an inventory control system can include almost any kind of quantifiable goods such as, computer equipments and other items that are made use of by the organization. Modern inventory management systems are exclusively based on using technology to track and control inventory .
The basis for effectively managing a computer system (or part of one) is having a framework that includes inventories of the system’s components and policies to guide the system’s use. When evaluating options for managing computer systems, computer laboratory managers should determine whether the options they are considering follow the best practices of conducting inventories, adopting computer policies, and communicating policies to staff who use the computers. Managers of the computer laboratory should also consider whether the management options have sufficient technical expertise and provide training and support for users. Finally, they need to assess whether the options provide adequate computer security.
Maintaining an automated inventory management system for computer laboratory is needed for the following reasons:
- The user log is not properly maintained
- Some students do not return certain items. Given adequate user log entries, too often the lab assistants do not detect this problem. Items get missing from the lab as result of this lack of control.
- Security problems ranging from unauthorized network access/ unauthorized software installation and deletion to the disappearance of laboratory items.
Given the large number of documented problems, the conclusion is that the current manual system is inadequate. The paper work is overwhelming, the data are not readily available. A well designed database system should be available to address the inventory management problem of the laboratory.
1.1 Theoretical Background
The technology used to implement the system is database management. The inventory record of the state of the laboratory is capture through a graphical user interface and saved to a database for future retrieval and updating. The source code below shows the details of saving records to database. The control Adodc is used to link the interface to the database and then the source code outline below is implemented.
Private Sub Command1_Click()
‘Code for save command button
Private Sub Command2_Click()
‘code for close button
‘code for add new record button
Private Sub Command3_Click()
Fig 1.1: Laboratory inventory registration form
1.2 Statement of the Problem
Inventory Management is one of the basic problems in almost every company. A survey of the inventory system of a computer science laboratory of Akwa Ibom state polytechnic reveals that:
- Manually recording and tracking down inventory is cumbersome.
- Reports cannot be easily presented and it is difficult for the management to ascertain the state of items in the laboratory.
- When there is no avenue to properly record the state of equipments in the laboratory, there will be high level of unaccountability. An automated system is therefore needed to aid the easy maintenance of the inventory of items in the laboratory.
1.3 Aim and Objectives of the Study
The aim of the study is to develop an inventory management system for laboratory.
The specific objectives are:
- To develop a database application for proper recording of items in the computer laboratory.
- To provide an updatable inventory
- To generate daily reports on stock level
1.4 Significance of the Study
The significance of the study are:
- It will provide an easy way of capturing and managing inventory details of the computer science laboratory of Akwa Ibom state polytechnic.
- It will also facilitate the easy updating of inventory records.
- Also, the study will serve as a useful reference material for other scholars seeking for related information on inventory management of computer laboratory.
1.5 Scope of the Study
This study covers an inventory management system for laboratory management, using computer science laboratory, Akwa Ibom state polytechnic as a case study. It strictly focuses on inventory management record for a computer laboratory.
1.6 Organization of the Research
This research work is organized into five chapters.
- Chapter one is concerned with the introduction of the research study and it presents the preliminaries, theoretical background, statement of the problem, aim and objectives of the study, significance of the study, scope of the study, organization of the research and definition of terms.
- Chapter two focuses on the literature review, the contributions of other scholars on the subject matter is discussed.
- Chapter three is concerned with the system analysis and design. It presents the research methodology used in the development of the system, it analyzes the present system to identify the problems and provides information on the advantages and disadvantages of the proposed system. The system design is also presented in this chapter.
- Chapter four presents the system implementation and documentation, the choice of programming language, analysis of modules, choice of programming language and system requirements for implementation.
- Chapter five focuses on the summary, constraints of the study, conclusion and recommendations are provided in this chapter based on the study carried out.
1.7 Definition of Terms
This is the use of technology or computers to control and process data reducing the need for human intervention.
This refers to a large store of related data on a computer that a user can access and modify.
This is a secret code that must be entered into a computer to enable access to its applications. It is made up of numbers, letters, special characters or a combination of any of the above categories.
The merchandise or stock that a store or company has on hand
Inventory Control System:
A list of orders to be filled, and prompts workers to pick the necessary items and provides them with packaging and shipping information.
The organizing and controlling of the affairs of a business or a sector of a business.
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
This chapter presents the summary, conclusion, constraints of the study and offers useful recommendations.
5.1 Constraints of the Study
In carrying out the research work, some challenges were faced that limited the study such as:
The time given for the completion of the research work was too short hence the researcher had speed up the research work to meet up and this has an impact on the study.
Few materials were found pertaining to the research area and this limited the bulk of the literature review.
The high cost of textbooks, internet browsing and transportation to different libraries to gather materials stood as a constraint to the research work.
Maintaining an inventory management system for a computer laboratory is very important. In this context of inventory management, record is maintained of the hardware and software in the laboratory and also the number of these items and other issues that pertain to the state of the equipments in the laboratory. The essence of maintaining inventory in a laboratory is to ensure accountability of the items in the laboratory, this will enable management to ensure proper usage and maintenance of the laboratory.
It is very important that specialized software systems are designed and implemented to facilitate the capturing and management of inventory record of laboratory such as computer labs. Since the equipments in the lab are expensive and very important, maintaining proper inventory of the items and state of the lab guarantees proper management of the laboratory.
The following recommendations are offered based on the study:
- Computer programmers should be contracted to develop customized applications for maintains the inventory of the computer laboratory.
- The laboratory administrator should be well trained on laboratory inventory management.
- Policies should be put in place to ensure the inventory of the laboratory is carried out regularly.
- Management should regularly demand reports of the laboratory inventory from the laboratory administrators.
- More research should be conducted on laboratory inventory management.
How To Get The Complete Material For “Inventory Management System For Laboratory Management“
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to Your Email Address After Payment
( Quick & Simple)
|FOR CLIENTS IN NIGERIA:|
|CLICK HERE TO MAKE PURCHASE (₦3,000)|
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|CLICK HERE TO MAKE PURCHASE ($15)|