Information Needs Of Staffs (Curators) Of Museum And Monument (A Case Study Of National Commission For Museum And Monument Shell Camp Owerri)
🎓 Are you a final year student? Get project topics and ideas with materials
Table Of Contents
- Title page
- Table of contents
- 1.1 Background of the study
- 1.2 Brief history of National Museum, Owerri
- 1.3 Statement of the problem
- 1.4 Objective of the study
- 1.5 Scope of the study
- 1.6 Research questions
2.0 Literature Review
- 2.1 The concept of information of museum and monuments
- 2.2 Sources of information of museum and monuments
- 2.3 Information dissemination of museum and monuments
- 2.4 Method of information dissemination of museum and monuments
- 2.5 Preservation of information of museum and monuments
- 2.6 Information needs of staff (curators) of museum and Monuments
- 2.7 The problems that affect the information needs of the staff of museum and monuments
- 2.8 Information seeking behaviour of curators
3.0 Research Methodology
- 3.1 Research design
- 3.2 Population of the study
- 3.3 Sample techniques and size
- 3.4 Instrument of data collection
- 3.5 Method of data collection
4.0 Data analysis and Presentation
- 4.1 Interpretation
5.0 Conclusion and Recommendations
- 5.1 Conclusion
- 5.2 Recommendations
1.1 Background Of The Study
According to museum association museum enable people to explore collections for inspirations, learning and enjoyment. They are institution that collect, safeguard and makes accessible artefacts and specimens, which they hold in trust for society. Museum association formally saw a museum as an institution which collects, document, preserve, exhibits and interprets materials evidence and associated information for the public benefit.
Museum according to ICOM status (1946), adopted during the 21st general conference in Vienna, Austria, (2007) is a non-profit, permanent institution in the service of society and its development, open to the public, which acquires, conserve, researches, communicate and exhibits the tangible and intangible heritage of humanity its environment.
The above definition is a reference in the international community. It can be a building or place where works of art, scientific specimens, and other objects of permanent value are kept and displayed.
The objective of a modern museum is to collect, preserve, interpret, and display items of cultural, artistic or scientific significance for the education of the public. The objective can also depend on one’s point of view. To a family looking for entertainment on a Sunday afternoon, a trip to a local history museum or large city art museum could be a fun, and enlightening way to spend the day.
To city leaders, a healthy museum community can be seen as a gauge of the economic health of a city, and a way to increase the sophistication of its inhabitants. To a museum professional, a museum might be seen as a way to educate the public about the museum’s mission, such as civil rights or environmentalism. Museums are, above all, store houses of knowledge.
Brief History Of National Commission For Museum And Monuments In Nigeria
The national commission for museum and monument is a Nigeria governing and administrative body assisting in the development of the nation’s museum system, the largest in Africa and charge with the duties of managing the various repositories of cultural artefacts and conserving and restoring cultural heritage and property of Nigeria while also promoting national unity. The commission succeeded the federal department of Antiquities. The commission was established under decree 77 of 1979.
The commission has had to deal with various problems including theft of artefacts from local museums, staff displeasure over unpaid salary arrears and collecting looted artefacts.
The commission’s chairman is appointed by the federal government of Nigeria. The commission has the following functions:
- To administer national museums, antiquities and monuments
- To establish national museums and other outlets for, or in connection with but not restricted to the following antiquities, science and technology, war face, architecture, natural history and educational services.
- To make recommendations to the appropriate government concerning the establishment or management of museums.
After the end of the Nigerian civil war, the Nigerian antiquities commission, a predecessor of the commission started building museums in the twelve state capitals towards promoting national unity and show casting the diverse cultural history of ancient Nigerian. The museum also promotes the exhibition of cultural artefacts from Nigeria.
1.2 Brief History Of National Museum, Owerri
The national museum in Owerri was established in 1988. The museum collection is ethnographic and it has a permanent exhibition of money and household utensils. It is located at B65 shell camp, off Orlu Road, P.M.B 1585, Owerri Imo State.
They have Dr. Mrs. Caro Ezeokeke (08051330904) as their curator (the head of national museum Owerri).
The national museum is under the ministry of tourism and culture, they are made up of (6) six directories (D.G) is the head of the directories (director general).
The directory includes:
- Director of administration and supply
- Director of finance
- Director of heritage and supply
- Director of museum
- Director of education and training services
- Director of research and planning.
The national museum and monument owerri have about seven (7) different department, they includes
- Educational department
- Curatorial department
- Administration department
- Account department
- Curators office (head office) department
- Gallery office department and
- Library department.
The six (6) directories have their directors outstations like
- National museum Owerri
- National museum Umuahia etc.
They have a curator who serves as the head of the museum, and the chief executive. Museum is an international bodies, the international bodies include international councils, international councils of museum etc. The museums also have Mr. Anosike as the present Administrative officer in the Administrative department, Engineer Ugochukwu as the present maintenance personnel in the gallery department etc.
The museums have about four (4) buildings with a conducive environment.
1.3 Statement Of The Problem
This study tries find out the problem of lack of information and knowledge on most of the staff of national museum and monument on how to perform their duties effectively and efficiently, the problem of lack of computer knowledge (ICT), information communication technology to get information from the net, problem of lack of proper knowledge of our tradition and culture and in most cases the people are not specialised in cultural studies which has led to misinformation to visitors whenever they are called upon, the problem of lack of electricity in the gallery of Nigerian museum which has stunted the activities of the museum staff.
1.4 Objective Of The Study
The specific objectives of the study are as follows:
- To determine if staff of museum have felt need for information
- To ascertain the information needs of staff (curators) of museum and monuments
- To identify the information sources utilized by staff (curators) of museum and monuments.
- To identify the problems which staff (curators) of museum and monuments encounter.
- To suggest ways of overcoming the identified problems.
1.5 Scope Of The Study
The study is limited national museum Owerri. It is an information need of staff (curators) of museum and monuments by national commission for museum and monuments shell camp Owerri.
1.6 Research Questions
This study is aimed in finding answer to the following questions;
- Do the staffs of museum have a felt need for information?
- What type of information does the staff (curators) of museum and monument need?
- What type of information sources is utilized by the staff (curators) of museum and monument?
- Do the staffs (curator) of museum and monument encounter any problem?
- What are the ways of overcoming the identified problems?
5.0 Conclusion And Recommendations
This chapter deals with the conclusion made and the recommendation given after carrying out the research so that there will be an effective utilization of the information needs of staff of museum and monuments.
Based on the findings through the questionnaire and the researcher’s personal observation while carrying out the research, it could be noticed that the staffs of museum and monuments could not utilize the museum effectively due to certain problems such as:
The staff of museum posses the problem of:
- Lack of fund
- Poor management
- Inadequate facility
- Inadequate power supply
- Lack of internet facilities
- Poor preservation of historical documents/artistic work
- Low patronage by public etc.
The recommendation are based on the findings during the time of the research was carried out; the following should be considered to encourage effective use of information by staff of museum and monuments.
- Adequate funding
- Proper management
- Adequate facility
- Steady power supply
- Provision of internet facilities
- Preservation and conservation of historical documents/artistic work.
- User orientation and enlightment
🔐 Your payment is secured
Samphina Academy is a reputable online educational resource centre that is duly registered with the CAC (Corporate Affairs Commission) under the federal law with RC:- 2887147.
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps. Quick & Simple
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD or Bank Mobile App
- Access Bank
- Samphina Academy
Send the following details through Text Message, WhatsApp or Telegram | 08143831497
- Account name transfer was made from
- Date and time of payment
- Email Address
- Information Needs Of Staffs (Curators) Of Museum And Monument (A Case Study Of National Commission For Museum And Monument Shell Camp Owerri)
The complete material will be sent to your email address after sending us the above information | Terms and Conditions Applied
All the research materials on this website are ONLY for research purposes and should be used as guidelines in developing your research or project works. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing these materials is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng will only provide papers as a reference for your research. The papers ordered and produced should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of the papers should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own project. It is the aim of samphina.com.ng to only provide guidance by which the paper should be pursued. Use it as a guidance purpose only.