Influence Of Socio-Economic Background On Academic Performance Of Students In Economics
Socio-economic background of a student affects his study at school. The researcher pointed some of those causative factors at home that affect the students in his study. Chapter one gave background of the study. Chapter two review related literature. Chapter three exposed the methodology. Chapter four presented the data and chapter five summarized the content of the study.
1.1 Background of the Study
It is a common problem that most of our secondary school leavers do not possess the ability and skills to reason well, they do not respect the dignity of labour, all they live and hope for IS to pass their final examinations through cheat and “expo 419”. They like the school administrators target only the end result. They are not interested in the means by which they achieve those results. The values and norms of honest living have eluded those children from the beginning and so, how would they be expected to live honest lives after they had been schooled and graduated in dishonesty. That is why in our political lives, we exhibit bitterness, rancor and turgery. The school curriculum is prepared and delivered in such a way that the children are not invited to think. They are expected to reproduce exactly what the teachers had given them thereby encouraging laziness among the pupils/ students hence there is acute lack of creativity.
1.2 Point of Inquiry / Statement of the Problem
The environment which a child grew has much influence in his studies at school. Many students come from background not good enough to promote students in their studies. Some factors are caused by low income earning of parents while some are caused by poor academic background of parents and siblings. The chief factor is that there is absence of reasoning in some homes which adversely affects learning
Anih, S. (2004: 109) states that negligence of reason results in the loss of everything. He emphasized the need for redesigning of Nigeria’s education philosophy. We need an authentic philosophy of education to solve national problems in Nigeria.
1.3 Purpose of the Study
This research study aims among other things:
- To do a survey on Nigeria’s education system with a view to finding out how the pedagogical conventional method of education has affected the development of education in Nigeria.
- To show evidence of misplaced priorities in approach to educational issue in Nigeria.
- To evaluate the teaching profession with a View to finding a lasting solution to the problems confronting the teaching profession, e.g. the issues of falling standard of education; poor academic performance/ achievement of pupils/ students; teachers incessant strikes and cultism in our schools.
- To see that the child as the center of education is given its rightful place in the education process.
- To point out and place the right values to our education system.
- To show how the and ragogical approach could be used to address ‘the socio-economic, political and cultural Issues that affect education in Nigeria.
1.4 Significance of the Study
The importance of this study is that the outcome of the inquiry will be useful in:
- Addressing the Issue of academic backwardness of pupils/ students in Nigeria.
- It will address the problems of lack of motivation for the teachers and the taught in Nigeria.
- It will address the problem of placing much emphasis on rote learning and memorization which does not elicit thinking in the learner
- The study is like a roadmap showing/directing our educational objectives.
- The study will provide a format for redesigning the Nigerian education system.
- The study will help the teacher’s educators in the colleges of education to see the importance of giving adequate training to the student teachers that is in line with modern methods of education.
- It will help the student teachers to embrace this innovative method of performance / achievement through the teaching of thinking skills in a community of inquiry format
- It will help the education curriculum designers In formulating better curriculum for our schools.
- It will help to solve the problems of cultism and examination malpractices in our schools and education system.
1.5 Target Audience
This study is directed to the following group of people in Nigerian education system.
- Policy makers and various governments at both, local, state and federal levels.
1.7 Research Questions
The following research questions will guide this study.
- What are the major problems that students encounter in economics?
- What are the effects of these problems on students?
- To what extent does academic background of parents’ influences students’ academic performance in economics?
- To what extent does financial status of parents’ influences students’ academic performance in economics?
- What are the possible solutions to poor student’s academic performance in economics?
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
This chapter presents the discussion of findings; summary of the study; the conclusion; implication for counseling; recommendations and suggestion for further studies.
5.2 Summary of the Study
This study examined the Influence of socio-economic status on the academic performance of Economics students in Ibarapa East Local Government Area of Oyo State. The descriptive research design was adopted for this study, this is because the variables studied were not manipulated but studied retrospectively the way they occur naturally. The population of the study covered some selected secondary schools Economics students (both males and females) in the area of study. Out of this population a sample of 100 students was selected and used for the study; using the random sampling techniques. The instrument used to collect data for the study was a twenty-two items self-structured questionnaire.
On the basis of the findings made in this study, we conclude that:
- Parents’ educational background influences the secondary school students’ academic performance in Economics.
- Parental cultural background affects the secondary school students’ academic performance in Economics.
- Parents’ religious belief influences the secondary school students’ academic performance in Economics.
- Parental economic status affects the secondary school students’ academic performance in Economics.
Based on the findings made in this study, we make the following recommendations;
- Secondary school heads should use Parent Teacher Association forum to educate parents, especially mothers on the essence of giving their children the close attention needed by them at their age.
- Non-governmental organizations should reach out more to children from low/poor socio-economic backgrounds by providing scholarships opportunities for them as well as through offering of direct financial assistance to homes in order to empower them and sustain them economically as these homes are the immediate sustaining environment of the children.
- Counseling centres should direct counseling efforts towards educating parents on the essence of having family size that they can adequately sustained by their income as well as adopt family planning measures to help them have manageable family sizes.
- Non-governmental organizations should carry out awareness campaign through the media in local languages to educate the uneducated parents on the importance and need of providing their children with an enabling environment to enhance their educational performance.
- Economics teachers should run Economics lessons in a student-centered manner. This, of course would have positive effects on students’ interest towards Economics and their motivation to learn.
- Parents should be interested in their children performance in school. This can be achieved through effective parent-teacher’ association. In other words, parents and teachers should be allowed to meet at least once in a month to discuss issues affecting students.
How To Get The Complete Material For “Influence Of Socio-Economic Background On Academic Performance Of Students In Economics“
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN CLIENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- Influence Of Socio-Economic Background On Academic Performance Of Students In Economics
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To Your Email Address After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply
Need a Different Topic? Perform a Quick Search