Influence Of Parental Background On The Educational Achievement Of Students
This project was designed to research into the influence of home background on the educational achievement of children in selected schools in Edo State. In doing this, three research questions were stated and some basic assumptions made. A sample of one hundred students was drawn out of three selected schools; the research instrument used was the questionnaires while the data analysis involved the use of the research questions.
Table of Content
- Title Page
- Table of Content
- 1.1 Background of Study
- 1.2 Statement of Problem
- 1.3 Objectives of Study
- 1.4 Research Questions
- 1.5 Hypotheses
- 1.6 Significance of the Study
- 1.7 Scope of Study
- 1.8 Basic Assumptions
- 1.9 Operational Definition of Terms
Review of Related Literature
- 2.1 Theoretical Framework
- 2.2.2 Conceptual Framework
- 2.3 Empirical Studies
- 3.1 Research Design
- 3.3 Area of Study
- 3.4 Population
- 3.5 Sample and Sampling
- 3.6 Instrumentation
- 3.7 Validation of Instruments
- 3.8 Method of Data collection
- 3.9 Method of Data Analysis
Data Presentation and Analysis
- 4.1 Data Presentation, Analysis and Interpretation
- 4.1.1Research Questions
- 4.1.4 Hypothesis
- 4.2 Discussion of Findings
- 4.2.2 Family size and students’ performance
Summary, Conclusions and Recommendations
- 5.1 Summary
- 5.2 Recommendations
- 5.3 Conclusions
1.1 Background Of Study
Over the years, the nation has been experiencing a drastic fall in the educational achievement of pupils and students at the various level of education. Scholars of different school of though has attributed this ugly trend to many factor such as poor teaching methodology, inadequate instructional facilities and a lot more from the look of things, these scholars seems to heap the blames either on the student or the teachers who most times are not actually the immediate causes.
However, a chose observation reveals that this trend has an undeniable relationship with one parental background in terms of their socio-economic status. Only recently the president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria president Olusegun Obasenjo in his monthly presidential media chat, held in October 2003, cried out in regards to the poor academic situation terms that our—-” graduates are fast becoming more of half-baked graduated—” what a mess.
Meanwhile, as this scenario continues to thrive, many more meaningful individuals both from the academic and non-academic field of the society not only shares their grievances they also point accusing fingers towards the teachers and the students. They give little or no attention to the student’s socio-economic background, which from act appearances seem to be one fundamental cause of poor educational achievement in school.
We have it on records that a child spends more time at home with his or her parents than he or she spends in school. This makes the home of greater influence in this regard. Little or no wonder it is said ”charity begins at home”
Be that as it may, we cannot over labour the fact that poor performance of a country’s citizens at various level of education has a way of tarnishing or beautifying that countries image.
Considering the magnitude of this problem, it therefore becomes very expedient that this project be carried out as it is hoped that it will help in savaging the problem or situation as it were, to a very reasonable extent.
1.2 Statement Of Problem
It is almost becoming a common and accepted knowledge those poor performances of student in our school is due to the inadequacies of teachers or student non-challant attitude to study. This is purely a wrong assumption that needs an investigation as we cannot afford to loss sight of the drastic effect that ones parental background have on the educational achievement of the child.
It is in cognisance of this that the following questions become very important.
- What role does the socio-economic position of parent’s play in the educational achievement of the child?
- To what extent does the level of education of parents affect the educational achievement of pupils
- Is there any relationship between living condition at home and educational achievement of pupils?
- How does the family structure in terms of monogamy, polygamy and size affect the academic achievement of student
- How far does the attitude of parents and guidance affect the educational achievement of students?
1.3 Objectives Of Study
- To investigate into the effect of parental background on the educational performance of students’.
- To find out if social-economic status of parents influences their students’ educational achievement in secondary school.
- To find out whether educational attainment of parent affect their students’ educational achievement in secondary school.
- To find out the influence of family size on educational upbringing of secondary school students.
1.4 Research Questions
For the purpose of this research work the following research questions have been formulated;
- Do parents socio-economic status influence the educational achievement of the students?
- Is there any effect of family size on the educational achievement of secondary school students?
The following hypotheses will be tested to guide this study;
- The socio-economic status of parents has no significant effect on the educational achievement of secondary school students.
- There is no significant effect between family size and the educational achievement of students in secondary school.
1.6 Significance Of The Study
This researcher work shall be of up most significance to three (3) categories of persons.
- Curriculum/Educational planners
- And of course parent/guidance it will be significant to curriculum or educational planners in that it will help them in planning adequately for students from different homes.
In the same vein, it will enable the teachers to know that students are not solely responsible for their poor performance thereby creating an avenue for the teacher to come to grips with some of the impact that parents background poses avail the teacher the opportunity to design a corrective measure which if adhered to, would spur both the teachers and pupils to greater academic achievement.
Over and above all, this study will serve as a challenge to parents to improving the conditions of the home thereby propelling their child (pupil) to greater heights.
1.7 Scope Of Study
This study was carried out in some selected secondary schools in Orhionmwon Local Government of Edo State.
These schools does include.
- Igbanke grammer school Igbanke
- Oligie mixed secondary school
- Ogan Mixed Secondary School Ogan
- Owah Secondary School Oweh
The investigation covered S.S.S 1-3 using at least ten (10) student randomly selected from each of the classes in the different schools so selected.
More so, some homes in Orhionmwon were also visited.
1.8 Basic Assumptions
In order for the researcher to proffer solutions to the problem under investigation, the following assumptions were made.
- One, the level of education of parent affects the educational achievement of students.
- Two, the socio-economic position of parents plays a dominant role in the educational achievement of the child.
- Three, there is an undeniable relationship between living condition at home and the educational achievement of students.
- Four, the family structure in terms of monogamy, polygamy and size generally, affects the academic achievement of students.
- Lastly, the attitude of parents and guidance affects the educational achievement of students.
1.9 Operational Definition Of Terms
As words may mean differently in different contexts, the following definitions are given as the words used as intended to be understood for the purpose of this study.
Is a unit comprising of husband, wife and children.
The number of people in the family.
This includes monogamy and may be nuclear or extended family.
This refers to parental experience and aspirations for children, objects and material conditions in the home for comfort and also specific behavioral processes conducive to learning.
This refers to education of children and how they perform in academics when subjected to test or examination.
This term is used for social processes in which one achieve social competence and individual growth, carried on in a selected, controlled sitting which can be institutionalized as a school or college.
Person’s trade, vocation or principal means of earning living.
This refers to position of recognition which one finds him in the society. Such a position may not be hereditary but acquired through personal efforts like education, wealth, occupation and social class.
This refers to the students’ achievement, scores within the class and his position relative to all those subjected the same test.
The result or outcome of anything be it positive or negative.
This refers to prevailing atmosphere in the home whether violent, resentful or in disarray.
Parents disposition to respond in a characteristics way to some stimulus in their social environment. Some responses determine the way and manner their children are brought up by them.
Summary, Conclusions and Recommendations
A study of influence of parental background and educational achievement of students in five secondary schools. In Orhionmwon Local Government. As related to its implication for psychological counseling was carried out by the researcher. The analysis was presented and discussed while some important observations as evident from the tables and statistically computed values are of interest in explaining the influence of parental background of students. The study generally observed that home background has a significant influence on the educational achievement of the child. The study revealed that differences still exist in the performance between the children of wealthy parents and vice versa. The socio-economic status of parents provide enabling environment for conducive learning. In other words, socio-economic status of parents necessitates the assistance provided to the children as well as the basic needs of the children and the facilities available for learning. All these have great influence on the educational achievement of the students in school.
Other factors or variables such as size of the family, home situation have statistically been proven that educational achievement of students in school is highly dependent on them.
The investigation of parental background as it affects educational achievement of students was carried out though limited by several factors such as time constraint for field works, unavailability of money to cover the cost. It is based on this backdrop, therefore, that further research is required. Some of which have been suggested below:
- A comparative study of parental background in rural areas and that of urban areas as it affects educational achievement of the students, be carried out with larger sample size.
- A study of the perceptions of parents of different home background as related to educational development be undertaken to ascertain the level of failing standard of education.
From the study carried out and presented above these observations were made from which conclusions were derived. Differences in educational achievement of children are a function of differences in educational background of the parents. Due to inadequate resources, children are not provided with academic needs that could facilitate conducive learning because of poor socio-economic status of some parents. This has some effects on student’s performance.
Based on the above observations the following conclusions were reached:
- There exists a difference between the educational achievement of students from educated and non-educated parents.
- The socio-economic status (wealth) of parents influence the educational achievement of the children
- Family size and home situation are determining factors for children development and as such they affect the educational achievement of the students also.
How To Get The Complete Material For Influence Of Parental Background On The Educational Achievement Of Students
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN CLIENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- Influence Of Parental Background On The Educational Achievement Of Students
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To Your Email Address After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply