Improving Organization Efficiency Through Conflict Resolution And Management: Case Study Institute Of Management And Technology (I.M.T) Enugu
We have been studying a critical issue on the shore of conflict in an organization, it’s so crucial that every hand has to be on deck to salvage this debilitating situation this back bone of any meaningful development is conflict in an organization. It can be arrested or resolved depending on the approach. A sure way of maintaining a set stand end of resolution of conflict is by encouraging this workers on areas of manpower training and development. The need for staff orientation as it helps to subside conflict re-occurrence in this organization.
In this study, we have looked into various ways of eradiating this “ailing situation, the causes, sources of conflict in an organization, also the approaches, strategies to management of conflicts the appropriate ways. To help the organization is to identify how efficiency can be increased in an organization through proper appreciation of the causes and mechanism for conflict resolution. Based on the findings of the study, the researcher therefore makes the following recommendations that use of dominance arising by virtue of organization functionaries, formal authority should be de-emphasized and the sue of bargaining encored or encouraged. This is because dominance may no longer, while in bargaining both sides are aware of mutual dependence and would continue to co-operate this conflict is battled or resolved. This implies that in bargaining attention is focused on a continuum of attitudes. And attitude change such as from open hostility to a closer co-operation. Management should introduce the use of an influential man in the sue of hierarchy who can facilitate communication and ensure that the subordinates can confide and bring their problem to him before the conflict expands and becomes compacted.
Ours is an age of rapid change, unrest and conflicting ideologies. Society is unsettled and individuals are apprehensive as group, nations and organized groups within the nation’s struggle for power and control over material resources and man’s mind. It is in such a world setting of tension and discourages that we view the present day relationship between labour and management in Nigeria.
In an organization, there are the owners of business who’s primary goals and objective is to maximize profit at all cost, while on the other hand, there are workers whose only weapon is this labour power with which they earn some reward usually monetarily. In other words, these two groups (the owners and workers) here their own are interest which might differ. Nevertheless, they re bound to co-operate in other to maintain and sustain the system of going concern. However, where there is no co-operation, there will be conflict. Conflict can be described as a situation of disagreement between employers, employee and employer etc. It could also be seen as the total rouge of behaviour and express opposition and divergent orientation between owners and managers on one hand, worker and the organization on the other hand.
Organization conflict is therefore a familiar characteristics of organization life.
1.1 General Background to the Subject Matter
It’s fundamental cause is the self interest of individuals in the organization, a self-interest which frequently manifests itself in competing objectives, philosophies or methods in associating struggles of one or more level or department to dominate the other. The presence of conflict brings change in our organization objective, if the change is in line with organization objective, than the conflict is beneficial (functional) to the organization, but if on the other hand, the conflict create disunity among functionaries in the organization this deviation from the stated organization objective, then such a conflict is dysfunctional.
Conflict can be main, tested inform of discount struggle, quarrel, opposition, disagreement, clash of interest and ever fighting. It can rough from industrial strike to competition, to simple dislike among individuals in an organization. It may occurs between or sub-groups, departments sub-system, authority relationship, individuals and even sub-organizations in there quest to either incompatible goals in the face of the resources.
The Institute of management and Technology (I.M.T) Enugu, is not an exception to the inherent problem posed by conflict. The inability of the management to effectively by handle conflicts has led to a considerable wastage of human and materials resources heading some times to a partial or non-fulfillment of the stated organizational goals and objectives.
Considering the vital position which the institute of Management and Technology (I.M.T) Enugu, holds or occupies in the nation as one of the three major tertiary institutions, tea holds and supports the educational system. It therefore, became important using I.M.T as a focal point since the academic performance or the institution will directly have a great impact on the nations educational system.
This research work is undertakes so as to enable the organization to comprehend and appreciate this in her sent nature of conflict and how resolving it will result to an improvement of the institutions efficiency.
1.2 Problems Associated with the Subject Matter
The increased interest gap between the employer and employee is becoming too devastating in our present day institutions. A lot of firm are collapsing due to increasing pressure form owners, public or the workers. This project work in effect tends to address the following problems.
- The problems arising from the inefficiency of the workers caused by the organizational inability to meet their needs.
- The Problems associated with the increasing labour conflicts in our institutions.
- The problems associated with inconsistent grievance handling.
- The problems usually encountered in trying grievance and dispute procedure.
1.3 Problems that the Study will be Concerned With
Since conflict is inevitable in work organization or institution, a career-minded person must learn practically, uncomplicated ways of resolving conflicts with people to enhance efficiency.
In regards, this study aims at examining the impact of academic institutions conflict, industrial and trade union conflicts with reference to
- The causes of conflicts.
- The mechanism that have been put in place for its resolution by the institution or organization.
- Examining the attitude of management towards conflicts resolution.
- To identify how efficiency can be increased in an organization though, proper appreciation of causes and mechanisms for conflict resolution.
- It hoes to suggest to organization functionaries how to mange positive and negative conflicts in order to accomplish organizational goals and objectives.
1.4 The Importance of Studying the Area
This research work is aimed at giving an insight into the conflict and grievance handling procedure as it operates in (I.M.T) Enugu.
It should also help the institution to isolate those factors that causes conflict in the organization or to reduce conflict in labour management. Relationship there by improving organization efficiency. The causes and mechanisms for conflict resolution in this research work serves as a guide to managers in other establishments.
1.5 Definition of Important Terms
In the course of pursing this research work, the researcher encountered numerous problems that has a significant effect on the study.
Definition of some of the important Terms this study include:
1. Inconsistent Grievance Handling
The inability of management of handle redress grievances leads to conflict which in turn offer, leads to low productivity.
2. Inefficiency of the Workers
The problems which arises form the inefficiency of the workers is caused by the organization or institution’s inability to meet their needs.
3. The causes of Conflicts:
The causes of conflicts emanates from jealousy, haziness, unpaid wages, poor working condition or environment, poor remuneration etc.
4. Labour Conflicts:
This is usually caused when workers or employers repel their duties (gold bricker) due to laziness and there by leading to low productivity.
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
The research findings in this study, it has been established beyond reasonable doubt that conflict do exist in every business organization and that its presence posses a problem that is capable of jeopardizing the successful attainment of organizational goals and objectives.
Conflicts affect the behaviour and attitude of the employees whether positively or negatively. It therefore, becomes imperative to state that for success to be achieved in an organization, management must properly balance the two extremes so as to achieve the desired result.
Based on the findings, a general assumption can therefore be made that the success of any business organization depends on how best it handled and researched conflict.
In consideration of the research findings on the project topic which is “Improving Organization Efficiency through conflict Resolution and management” (A case study of Institute of Management and Technology I.M.T Enugu), it has been found out that conflict is inevitable in an organization as stated by “Adebayo Adeniyi”, in his book titled “The essentials of conflict resolution in an organization” (1997:25) It is the duty of management to resolve conflicts sagaciously and without favouritism. This will enable the organization to achieve its set goals and objectives because when conflicts are properly and effectively resolved, both parties involved will be re-united. And this will definitely promote and encourage productivity. But if conflicts are not properly and effectively resolved, reverse will definitely be the case.
Finally, based on the findings, a general assumption can therefore be made, that the success of any business organization depends on how best it handled and researched conflicts.
Based on the findings of this study, the research therefore makes the following recommending.
- The use of dominance arising by the virtue of organizational functionaries, formal authority should be de-emphasized and the use of bargaining encouraged. This is because, in dominance, the dominator does not need the loser any longer while in bargaining, both sides are aware of their mutual dependence and would continue to co-operate after the conflict, 25 settled or resolved. This implies that in bargaining, attention is focused on a continuum of attitude. And attitude change such as from open hostility to closer co-operation.
- Management should introduce the sue of an influential man in the organizational hierarchy who can facilitate communication and ensure that the sub-ordinates can be convinced to bring their problems to him before the conflict expands and become complicated.
- Management should encourage the use of inter-group, thereby where representatives of both conflicting groups takes together in the presence of all members form both sides who are meant to remain silence after clarifying the parties perception of the matter at hand and requesting them in private to discuss their discrepancies, the correct invalid perception and to consider alternative explanation of past behaviour.
- Finally, the researcher recommends the introduction or the sue of internal hearing and private courts in the organization to provide due process and more legitimate means of adjucating what used to be strictly assigned as managerial decisions.
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: Improving Organization Efficiency Through Conflict Resolution And Management: Case Study Institute Of Management And Technology (I.M.T) Enugu
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply