The Impact Of Technological Innovation On The Growth Of Organization (A Case Study Of United Parcel Service Aba)
The thrust of the project work is to identify the importance of technology and its impacts on the growth of every organization using ups as a case study and to fish out the importance of manpower training and education in using technology since training and education of work is an attempt to improve their performance. Chapter one of the study, x-rays the effect of impact of technology on the growth of organization (to the customers) as many be obtainable in ups, ups desirable to access the level of technology in accessing their customers and performance among competitors. Chapter two review past literature and presenting in a nutshell in the ups online, on-time information enquiry system, parcels transportation and sorting system, communication and services the impact of technology on the growth of an organization (a case study of ups Aba) chapter three treats research methodology in place relevant to this research.
1.1 Background of the Study
The word technology is from the Greek word Tekene e.g. technology which means an art or skill and logic, it means an area of knowledge or study. Technology is an interaction of knowledge, skill and social organization. It describes the things or product of our modern society, which are but in the result of human endeavour and complex organization of a society which developed long side technology advance. New technology has a considerable influence on society, increase work capacity through the use of machines and tools significantly changing the pattern of low work and leisure time and has gone a long way in improving workers performance. The benefit comes through computerization and introduction of information technology.
Technology is also the branch of knowledge that deals with the creation and use of technical means and their interrelation with life and society environment drawing upon such subjects as industrial arts, engineering, applied science and pure science.
According to Luna (1994) the earlier use of the word technology is the United States was found in a hazard university course on the application of the science to the useful art in 1816. The 1832 encyclopedia American defined technology as principles, processes and nomenclature. Ever since that time, there has been debate as to the identity of technology from a historical perspective philosophers of technology agree that two phases of technology can be seen the craft phase and that modern scientist phase. However, to a philosopher of technology modern technology, although scientist is a unique structure of thinking not merely applied sciences, the impact of technology on organizational growth demand on environment influence, which includes technology beings similar to a specific job, the available skill, motivation targeted output and operational methods among other.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
- The problems facing organizational growth are basically problems with people in the organization because manager achieves organizational efficiency mainly through technology which enables the subordinates to understand the supervisor.
- The on-line, real time computer internet technology, telegrams, telephone, cell phone machines like type-writing machine, photocopying machine as well as electricity, technology access /manpower enhances performance but when the system fails, it turns out frustrating the workers.
- Inadequate training and specialization concerning new technology is another problem that faces organizational growth due to the fact that majority of the workers do not undergo training on how to use modern technology, for instance, in the areas of computer operation, type-writing machine operator, telegram, photocopying machine etc. a worker who does not undergo the training on how to use or operate them cannot perform well with them.
1.3 Objectives of the Study
The objective of the study is to ascertain the level of technology proactiveness in United Parcel Service and its impacts on the organization. In the delivery and satisfactory of quality service to their customer, other objectives of the study include:
- To determine the steps taken by the organization in preparing workers for technological changes.
- To find out how the introduction of modern system to work performance has affected staff morals and commitment.
- To establish the extent of utilization of on-line real time package tracking system in service delivery.
1.4 Research Questions
- Has the use of technology in business transaction been accepted as means of improving organizational growth?
- Has technology has any impact on organizational growth?
- Does management failure to prepare workers for technological changes hinder the worker use of technology?
1.5 Significance of the Study
Many benefits are o be derived from his study impact of technology o organizational growth: a case study of the United Parcel Service (UPS).
- The desired precision required in exercising quick delivery of parcels, which invariably affect the supply chain of other firms is achieved for example, the on-line, real time communication it he services of UPS.
- Tracking of parcels in transit and locating misdirected items through tracing mechanisms internet communication services.
- Through the impact of technology, government derives great benefit through improved economy in terms of checking the amount of money in circulation as well as in terms of sending and receiving of information either through computer browsing, through mail or telegram etc.
- Technology is a serious term to watch in industrial growth; according to minor T.B. structural changes occur largely to response to shifts in their nature, environment or technology of the organization. Among these factors which almost force organizational changes two have been studied extensively.
- To advent of automation and the introduction of computers into many spheres of company operation.
- The fact that corporate growth either through internet expansion or through acquisition exist a complex interaction among people. Value structures technological size and organizational structure when leads to this research. In this research, people are expected to benefit a lot on how to use technology enables easy business transaction and quick retrieval of information in the office which enables employees perform better which turn improves the organizations productivity and growth.
1.6 Scope of the Study
United Parcel Service Aba, this study covers the impact of technology on organizational growth.
1.7 Limitations of the Study
Time Constraint: It takes time for the research to get much information as possible it required by the project.
Money been the major thing affected the research as the research encountered problem due to the fact that there were no much money to get relevant information that are required for this research.
This is another problem militating against the research because some of the textbook in the library does not contain enough information on the impact of technology.
1.8 Definition of Terms
Is a scientific knowledge of using machines in processing some works which cannot be done ordinarily. It is the use of skills in doing things.
Growth is the process of improving some measure of an enterprises success, growth can be achieved either by boosting the top line or revenue of the business with greater product sales or service income, or by increasing the bottom line or profitability of the operation by minimizing costs.
Organization is a social unit of people that is structural and managed to meet a need or to pursue collective goals. All organizations have a management structure that determines relationships between the different activities and the members and subdivides and authorities to carry out different tasks organization are open system, they affect and are affected by their environment.
1.9 Historical Background of the Study
The United Parcel Service as conceptualized in the mind of a 19yrs old James Cassey and his pairs who founded the courier body in Washington in August 28 1907, James started with a borrowed capital of 8,000 U.S the company of messengers in response to telephone calls received at its headquarters ran errands of carrying and delivering notes, hand baggage and trays of foods from restaurants, bicycles and cars served long trips.
The organization held to a policy of never promise what you cannot do and keep to every promise. In 1919, their services extended to Oakland California, adopting the present name “United Parcel Service” UPS 1988 says “Parcel” indicates the nature of the business and service indicates what we often the United Parcel Service (UPS) 1988 says “parcel’ indicate the nature of business and broke the ground of courier service in Nigeria in 1979 under the name International Messengers Nigeria Limited (IMMI) involving Andrew Walter a retired pilot from British Army in the second world war. United Parcel Service Nigeria through acquisition of JMM, Air Chartering Limited London became part of United Parcel Service network worldwide. This network is one of the world’s most extensive terms of worldwide deliveries, the speeds the volume of business handled daily and staff strength and facilities.
5.0 Summary of Findings, Conclusion and Recommendations
5.1 Summary of Findings
The problem facing organizational growth are basically problems with the people in the organization because managers achieve organizational efficiency mainly through technology which enables the subordinates to understand the supervisor, the online, real time computer internet technology telegram, telephone, machines, like typewriting machine, photocopying machine as well as electricity, technology access/manpower enhances growth but when the system fails it turn out frustrating workers. The required technology has positive impact on workers but due to unavailability of communication gadgets, it places a burden on the performance of workers.
Inadequate training and specialization concerning new technology is another problem that faces growth in the organization due to the fact that majority of the workers do not undergo training on how to use the modern technology. For instance, in the area of computer operation, typewriting machine operation n telegram, photocopy machine etc formed basis of our analysis which we put to test in chapter four through the administration of questionnaire staff or employees education. Education is very important in every business making who think that education is not important in making business an enviable or Spenser Levis in his book “principles for home and business” emphasize the need to acquire education. Therefore the management of UPS and related industries must embark in a continuous education of their employees. This study proves the technological importance of education. It was discovered that the observation of improving the technological capabilities of UPS and making it to be practiced in Nigeria. Nationwide as noted in the previous research demands a surgical operation to demobilize the threats of competitors.
The ultimate aim of any business organizations is achieving favourable return of investment which can otherwise be term “profit” this aim can be achieve. If only the organization operate in the most effective and efficient way.
The importance of technology in the business organization is very necessary for effective service. It is high time, corporations open up the researcher this study is not bonus of the work, there is still great room for further research reading, and needed data for financial information would be useful.
In view of this research, survey carried out on United Parcel Service on the impact of technology on organizational growth, the following recommendations are put forward:
- The Nigeria courier offers needed internet and related information technology to stand high among competitors.
- The education of employees enhances their performances. Therefore, every organization should make provision for effective education of the workers.
- The courier service needs to prepare their workers for technological changes and development.
- The online, on-time technology as practiced in developed economics of the west should be installed in African as world is becoming a global village.
5.4 Suggestion for Further Study
The research work was limited on United Parcel Service due to the time and financial limitation. I therefore, suggest that this study should be further carried out in other related sector like in government related established sectors to know.
- If technology play the same roe in both private and government related established sectors to know.
- To know the negative impact or effect the technology has on the employees, both in the government and private sector.
- The cost and the benefit of technological improvement on the organization.
- To determine the cost of training of workers and its benefit on the firm.
Complete Material For The Impact Of Technological Innovation On The Growth Of Organization (A Case Study Of United Parcel Service Aba)
The Complete Material will be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make a Mobile Transfer or POS Payment of ₦3,000 to any of the Account Below
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
|Account No.: 1225513212|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- The Impact Of Technological Innovation On The Growth Of Organization (A Case Study Of United Parcel Service Aba)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To Your Email Address After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply
This research material “The Impact Of Technological Innovation On The Growth Of Organization (A Case Study Of United Parcel Service Aba)” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “The Impact Of Technological Innovation On The Growth Of Organization (A Case Study Of United Parcel Service Aba)” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.